TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments
soler
expert

When I do, I stop and copy the bulk of it just in case it won't post for some reason, or the post goes haywire.
Do the same Brit …… every few lines I copy … got tired of loosing stuff.

Well , last night I sat down and thought I'd give Sanditon a try. Wasn't expecting much and what I do with shows like this is I view over the laptop . As the show got rolling along I found myself viewing more show that laptop … found I was enjoying it sooo .. closed the laptop . lol Rather enjoyed the scene with Lady Denham at her little dinner gathering for Miss Lamb … Anne Reid's tounge is sharper that her role as Celia in Last Tango . Enjoyed the scenery ( seaside walking along cliffs reminds me of Poldark. ) What I want to see is someone stand up to the old witch and really rip a strip off her . lol

4 months ago

Anne Reid's tongue is sharper that her role as Celia in Last Tango...

Boy, is it! Tongue like a serpent. These type of roles are made for her. And, she seems to be playing both Celia and Lady Denham with that same "who me... I am not being mean and offensive, I am only speaking the truth." I remember her saying that on several occasions in Last Tango. Yea, she is a real sweetheart. Someone is going to give it back to her, don't know who that is going to be yet. People are lining up.

The landscape is glorious... I looked up the filming locations; Brean Beach in Somerset (near the Victorian town of Clevedon) was used as well as Marine Lake Weston-super Mare and the nearby Village of Uphill.

Marine Lake Weston-super Mare

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=marine lake weston super mare&view=detail&mid=408E0DA87993CA08E311408E0DA87993CA08E311&FORM=VIRE

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

appa ra, being silly enough to replace my soulmate dog with a puppy merits me some wacky weed!

I blame my acting in haste so soon after Ricky's death, and the breeder for knowing (she had to) this puppy was nuts and selling him to two old people.

People keep telling me he will be better in a year. *sigh* only six months to go, hopefully.

Brit, I did love the ending of DCI Banks, I wish they hadn't done what they did, but the ending was very touching.

Thanks for the hints, folks!

4 months ago
appara2
guru

ahhh, Puppies! Those big eyes melt a person's heart...even after they have chewed one in a favorite pair of shoes, the handle off your purse and the corner off the throw carpet LOL. Congrats on the adoption!

Soler, I too quite like Lady Denham and I'm curious as to what she has in store for her plotting heirs and the rest of the people of Sanditon! For now, at least, Tom Parker has her support.

I am enjoying the chemistry between Miss. Heywood and the Mr. Sidney Parker. But, I also caught a vibe between her and the construction foreman?
I must have missed how Sidney came to be the guardian of the wealthy Miss. Lambe?

Were the other two Parkers married or brother and sister? At first I thought married, but then when he heard that Lambe had $$ he literally raced across that room to get to her. LOL

Looking forward to the next episode!

4 months ago

Appara, they have not mentioned how the guardianship came about as yet. I am assuming their was a friendship between Miss Lambe's father and Sidney Parker. There is a story there that is yet to be revealed to us. This duty was thrust upon him and he is taking the responsibility in hand, but is not happy about it as we can see.

The other two Parkers are brother and sister. Yes, he did, he made a beeline for Miss Lambe. They all are....a 100,000 thousand pounds is an enormous sum. I am throwing my hat in his ring. A bit foolish and a hypochondriac he may be and he certainly lives for the innocent pleasures of life. Yet, he has a good heart, will always be a fun partner for her and doesn't have the nature to rule over her or take advantage of her.

A woman with her kind of money needs to be extremely careful who she marries as life could become tortuous with the wrong husband, even with all her advantages. Her best bet is to remain single and power her own ship. It will be interesting to see if she will be able to do this.

I like the contruction foreman! My preference to Sidney, but this is Austen so we will find that there is more to Sidney than we now see displayed.

4 months ago

He will, Deedee. When I first got Miss B. and she was quite young, she was a handful. I am a older Mom too, trying to keep up with all her shenanigans took a lot of energy. I often thought "what did I get myself in to, people my age don't have a baby rabbit running around"!

I had just redone my bedroom linens and curtains, went all out and everything was lovely. There is now not an item that has not been chewed or destroyed. She was a terror. Still, I have to be careful with my ear plugs and tablet cords, because in one quick move she bites right through them!

As she has gotten older this has mostly stopped, she knows the boundaries and I make sure to have rabbit approved things for her to chew on. (And, she can chew on anything she likes in her own room, which are put there for that purpose). I am slowly replacing items with more confidence that they won't look like swiss cheese. And, I can take her downstairs and set up a space for her in the family-room to play and she doesn't chew on anything she shouldn't. They do calm down after the first year or so.

She is my love bug and I wouldn't have things any other way. She has become very affectionate (on her terms). She is always the boss, no matter how much I say I am! Every night I tell her good night, and that she is going to have blueberries for breakfast (she loves her blueberries) - she intently listens to all this, and then she puts her head down so I can kiss her goodnight... she allows three or four (and a hug) as one is never enough for Mom. I am always stealing kisses anytime I can get them.

This is a rabbit we are speaking of. Remarkable the things animals can and will do when they know they are loved.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Perfectly beautiful, Brit. Love the kisses on the head.

4 months ago
appara2
guru

Amazing, the least likely candidate can make the perfect furry companion! My Kyra is like petting a wire brush, she has the terrier rough coat. On the upside, after she goes for a swim she dries in minutes-flat, on the downside she has no undercoat and in this -35c weather she can't stay outside for long before she is lifting her feet out of the snow 'cause they are getting too cold!
My niece, a few years ago had a pet lop-eared rabbit. So cute, but she didn't much care for strangers but also loved wires, sounds much similar to yours in that aspect Brit?

4 months ago

Yes, rabbits love to chew and no wire is safe around them. Miss B. recently chewed through one of my lamp cords, it is part of a pair, they were long past their prime, I was planning on replacing them, so I took it calmly... it was my fault anyway, you can not blame a rabbit for being a rabbit! I keep cords and wires out of her reach, rooms must be bunny proofed, this one had fallen in her path and I did not realize it. Thank goodness it was not plugged in. I am going to put cord covers over the new ones when I get them.

They are prey animals, so it takes much effort to socialize them. I see her fight her own nature all the time as she loves to be snuggled and hugged, she puts her little head in my neck and will stay there with Mom talking to her and petting her and she likes to look at herself in the mirror, so I do carry her around with me and let her do that. It just has to be on her terms, when she feels like being hugged she will stay still and let me pick her up. If she doesn't, she will jet off (and give me that look of " your not going to get me mom" . If have to respect that, so I ask her if she wants to come with me and if she doesn't feel like it, that is okay. She is the boss.

I do spend a lot of time with her on her level. It is frightening to always have someone looming over you. She lets me lay very close to her, she likes me to keep her company when she eats (she sees this as her socialization time and will always eat more if I am with her). She will rub her head against mine, give me little kiss licks on my neck, groom my hair with her paw - she is quite affectionate.

On the other hand, if I put my hand or face directly in front of her (you need to approach a rabbit from the side view first) she will lunge at me and give me a warning swat or bite. She is not trying to hurt me, she is just protecting herself. People forget that because they are so cute and adorable... they are prey animals first, even if they love you, their instinct is for self preservation first.

4 months ago

Soler, I watched a documentary on Princess Diana on Netflix last night. This was done in an interview format, she anwered questions and talks about her feelings and perspective as she took on royal life. It was quite enlightening as she sensed her own doom in regard to her life as a royal member and wife to Charles very early on. She went ahead with it and explains how difficult it was to cope. It was eye opening, particularly with the recent headlines.

She was only ninteen when she was thrust in to such a public role and she had little support from anyone in coping with her high profile life. On top of that, with her youth and temperment, she needed to be nutured and Charles and company have little understanding of that. You know what they say about karma... well, I think it is now rearing its' head (a polite way to say it).

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Oh Brit, again you're making me teary. It's amazing how animals (especially those used to being dinner) ever trust us. I love hearing about her riding on your shoulder. No wonder she still has the self preservation instinct, didn't you find her outside? There's no knowing what she endured!

I haven't yet weighed in on the Royal Entitled, but I am delighted in their bad press. Unfortunately, they will never 'get' it and will continue in their imperious ways. I feel badly for those who blindly follow them in the UK, as I feel for those who blindly follow another someone here. I am convinced the queen had Diana exterminated. At any rate, it looks like Meghan and Harry played chicken with her, and are working it out to their mutual satisfaction. Meghan ain't no dope, is Meghan.

Diana, on the other hand, was a deer in the headlights. She was lunch for Charles (mum wanted him married and with issue before the inevitable Camilla got her claws on him) and she didn't care who served as his slave. When she finally came into her own, beautifully, and dared to live her own life with her 'friend', it was off with her head. Such a shame.

That favored issue photo was typically vicious.

4 months ago
appara2
guru

I was setting up my PVR for Sunday and I noticed another 'new' show airing after Sanditon, Vienna Blood. No reviews and only 1 vote on this site.
Did any of you catch it the first time round, and if so, what did you think? Only 3 episodes listed, so it's a short run.

4 months ago

You have to see her Deedee, riding up there on my shoulder, little head looking out at the world, completely secure in knowing she is safe because Mom is holding her close. I am always cognizant of how fast her heart is beating as it is a good indication if she is fearful... heart calmly beats as she gets a little spice in her life seeing things from above. She is my fiesty ball of love.

Yes, I found her outside in the dead of winter - she was tossed out, only about three to four months old. I have no idea how long she was out there before I found her. It took me six weeks to get her to the point where she bonded with me enough to get her inside. During that time I took care of her outside. Fed her, made a home for her and tore anyones' head off if they went near her. Everyone in the neighborhood knew about her and kept a wide berth from her home area. A major storm was coming up and I knew she wouldn't make it through so somehow I had to pick her up and get her in. Thank God, I did. That was almost four years ago!

4 months ago

Yes, Diana was the sacrificial lamb. She was much to young to handle the situation, and did not have the temperment for it as a young woman. She was self destructive, using this as a way to get Charles' love and attention. She explains this in her own words, it is very compelling. She spent much of her early years with Charles in tears. She was in love with him in a heady, youthful way, always with the hope that he would stop his romance with Camilla. That was never to be.

Once she realized that he was never going to care about her, particularly after she had her children and his duty was done, she rose like a phoenix. She came in to her own and took on life on her terms. She did much good for so many causes. I was up the night the she died and heard it first broadcast. My Gran had died two days before, so I wasn't sleeping well, I was up all hours. And, Mother Theresa died a few days after Diana. Heaven received three bright lights that week.

4 months ago

I read an interesting article regarding the Harry and Megan diabolical (in Britian the informal use of this word is "disgracefully bad, or unpleasant"). My first opinion was that the Queen was pretty much boxed in and had little option but to give in to Harry's request to step down from senior duties. He had cornered her. Although, it was apparent that this did not mean totally stepping away from the royal lifestyle. That they had no intention of giving up. Hence, all the preplanned royal trademarking. No Deedee, Megan is no fool.

What this article suggested, and upon thinking about it I have come to see (agree with)... the Queen actually wanted H & M to step down, that this was not a knife to her heart as it is being portrayed. It is an outcome that the Queen felt was enviable. Of course, she wanted to be in full control of the situation, and Harry got there first (at least out in public), but in the larger sense this was what she, Charles and William saw as a neccesary step. Harry says he and Megan felt like they were bring pushed out and to some extent I think they were.

There was just too much drama constantly flowing around the pair, and that was not going to stop. I read somewhere that the reality that she was nothing more than a glorified civil servant did not sit well with Megan. This was not what she signed up for. She was making it clear she was hitting ground with her boots on, she was going to make her mark and keep the attention on her and Harry. Unfortunately, she was in a world that she did not understand, this was not going to work and the pushback came from both the royals and the people.

The media coverage was vicious and unrelenting, that is true. Harry's hatred of it is well documented. Had Megan become their darling, things would have remained as they were and he would have been happy to let her bask in it. Maybe if they had given it more time, things would have changed, we will never know.

4 months ago

I finished "Ordeal by Innocence" last night. Suspenseful and gripping it was, but in no way was this a Christie story. Other than the title and character names there wasn't anything remotely similar to Christie's work. Under another title, the production would stand up well, it was not an adaption though and should not be considered one. To me it is akin to stealing someone elses work because you can't come up with an original premise of your own.

Given that, it kept me interested and looking for the murderer. Once I realized the real relationship between the housekeepper and Jack, it fell in to place for me. Up untill then, I had no idea. The ending was interesting and unexpected. There was no indication whether the children had any knowledge, or were part of, the final solution. You are left to your own thoughts.

4 months ago

Appara, "Vienna Blood" is a new one for me. Didn't hear of it until you mentioned it. I read some of the reviews on IMDB, which are quite good. I am not a fan of historic detective mysteries so I am not sure if I will watch. I'll DVR the first episode and probably give it a go.

4 months ago
appara2
guru

Vienna Blood wasn't being pushed by PBS, it just kind of appeared as 'new' on my schedule. I have it set to record as well as Sunday has become a very show-filled night for me!

I have to wonder if the 'Royals' have truly thought thru this idea of moving to Canada. Copy/pasted headline.... LOL
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle face a long list of “perils” in Canada, including “psychopathic bears,” “vampire flies,” “jagged cliffs” and “frigid” temperatures, according to a column published in a U.K. tabloid by a former editor of the Globe and Mail.

4 months ago
soler
expert

Soler, I watched a documentary on Princess Diana on Netflix last night.

Gonna have a look for this Brit

Recently saw a little clip of Diana giving an interview with toddler Harry off to the side out of camera range. Every so often her eyes would dart side ways as she was being distracted to the point she couldn't properly answer the question . Out of exasperation she looks sideways and commands in a motherly tone " Sit Harry .. sit .. JUST SIT . " Poor Diana , gone some 22 years now .

Now , back to nursing a very bad cold I picked up a week ago .

4 months ago

Soler, the name of the documentary is Diana In Her Own Words. Hearing her talk about her life... actually just hearing her voice again, was very compelling. At least for me. Has it been 22 years, my goodness, it doesn't seem that long. I remember that week so crystal clear in my mind, that I don't have a perception of time moving on.

Take care of yourself, a bad cold when it grips you can take forever to get over. Remedy... lots of earl grey, toast with butter, hot and sour soup if you can get it (the heat in the soup always cuts the congestion for me) Oscillococcinum, which should be taken at the onslaught of a cold because it does work (I swear by it) to keep it a bay, but will help your perk your immune system. (Yes, it is expensive, I know, but it works and has gotten me through numerous sicknesses - I took it for a week prior to leaving for my wedding and the whole week before the wedding running around in France with the preparations and I made it through a wonderfully busy time with lots energy and good health, thank God. I keep it on hand all winter long as my immune system is not great and I pick up everything when I am out and about during cold season. Of course, it goes without saying . Copious amounts of TV viewing!

4 months ago

Has anyone watched the miniseries Collateral on Netflix? I can't remember if it was mentioned here. I watched the whole thing yesterday (with a break or two). Nicola Walker is in it... she is a main supporting character. It's good...not great. It's a solid story that doesn't cut through the mass of detective series, it runs down the middle, nothing about it stands out over the others we watch. I do like the lead detective, she is smart, calm and thoughtful. She plods along and keeps going, often based on instinct alone. The ending wraps things up nicely... you walk away knowing that all the loose ends are tied... well, except for one … which it realistic, as you can get close many times, but that one thing alludes you.

4 months ago

Appara, I re-watched the first episode of Howard's End and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first viewing. It is beautifully produced and has a lightness about it that draws me in. It tells the same story as the original movie without its' darker overtone and blatant overacting. This version is becoming one of my favorite adaptions.

4 months ago

I need to get caught up with Emergence, I have been holding off as I know we have only one more episode after this (which is coming up tomorrow). I am trying to stretch it out a bit longer! I will watch it in the next day or so along with Sandition. I am doing a survey for PBS on a show (No Passport Required) with a new season premiering tonight. So that will get my attention first.

I did catch Vienna Blood though. I found it disturbing on a number of levels. Just not my cup of tea.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I thought the lead in Vienna Blood was Richard Harrington, whom I like in Hinterland. It wasn't but their similarity in looks is eerie. Another unfortunate similarity, Harrington starred in Balthazar, which I dropped after a minute and a half, due to the close ups of forensic cutting and dripping blood. What IS it with producers/directors/whatever who think this makes good television? I dropped Vienna Blood after a similar minute and a half.

Oh boy, careful on No Passport Required and the show in the Philippines. The idiots behind those episodes thought it fine to show cooked guinea pigs. Yes, guinea pigs, which are raised and killed and eaten in the Phillipines. That may be, but I don't want to SEE the poor cooked creatures on my PBS television show.

soler, hope you feel better soon. Nothing worse than a very bad cold, knowing it will be around for a few days at least.

app ara, I feel for Harry. I am sure the queen feels she is well rid of them, as her progeny photo demonstrates. I wonder what the arrangement is that Andrew has with her. I imagine he is more of a toadie than Harry and Mrs. Harry.

I can't find the show you recommended that is only four episodes, Brit, I'll have to re-read your posts. I do recommend Giri/Haji - Duty/Shame. Violent as all heck, but justfied. The characterization is outstanding and the actors are wonderful.

4 months ago

Deedee, thanks for the heads-up on No Passport Required, there is Los Angeles the beginning of this season so I am safe. I hate having to see animals that we consider pets eaten as food… hate it. Most Americans feel the same way. That is not a choice I would have made given the audience.

The mini series is Collateral - it is a Netflix original. Look through their original show heading, you will find it there.

I like Kelly Macdonald so I will check Giri/Haji out on Netflix.

I feel the situation that Harry has found himself in to be sad for both him and his Grandmother. They have a close bond and at her time in life having this strain on the relationship is just that.

4 months ago

Deedee, I reccomend the second episode of "No Passport Required" highly, this is the one that highlights the Armenian community in Los Angeles. It was shown last night, there are no repeats that I see shown, but I think you have PBS Passport, so you get access to the show there.

I am ready to visit Glendale, where one of the largest communities of Armenians live outside of the mother country, just to eat! The food looked so delcious! It is a mixture of several cultures as Armenians (the Armenian diaspora) scattered the world due to their genocide by the Ottoman Empire in WW1.

Early in the episode we see a bakery that makes a traditional pastry, it resembles a donut, but it is filled first, then fried with the filling inside (vanilla or chocolate, the chocolate has a home made candy (looks like a chocolate truffle) in it. And then it is dusted with powdered sugar. I am sure it is very sweet, but I got weak in the knees.

There are all these Mom and Pop restaurants that make particular specialities and I would definately like to visit the Phoenicia Restaurant (Lebanese). It had a great vibe and they were chowing down like kings!

The last restaurant shown was beautifully decorated, but overdone and pure Hollywood. They would have been better off finishing with the Phoenicia segment. It had more soul.

4 months ago
appara2
guru

I liked the first episode of Vienna Blood, and am looking forward to solving the mystery of the Last Seance next Sunday. I'm also enjoying the chemistry between the two main characters Max and Oskar, Max is slowly winning him over! LOL

4 months ago

Caught up on Sanditon… Davis is relying heavily on Austen's past feats. We have shades of Pride and Prejudice and a page out of Persuasion in this episode. That is fine, if he has to choose where to go with this story, these two books are (arguably) Austen's most loved, so it would be hard to make a mistake with echoing either. Sanditon, seems to be an amalgamation of both.

Miss Lambe is hiding a secret we find out... did not see that coming. I will say no more as I don't know where everyone is in their viewing. Kris Marshall is doing a great job as Tom Parker, he is really making that role his own. Sidney, as expected and planned, is growing on me. He does have Darcy's smoldering good looks.

You know it never occurred to me until Tom Parker mentioned it, the popularity of Spa towns, such as Bath, were built on enticing hypochondriacs seeking a cure for their ailments. This was the base cliental, once word spread, they became popular and fashionable, then everyone wanted to be there and the money rolled in.

4 months ago

Emergence, okay this was an episode and a half. Boy, a lot of ground was covered in this episode. I forgot that Jo and family were located in Long Island. They crossed the border in to New Jersey this episode. Kind of like that the locale for the series is close to home. I don't know why, I kept thinking they were out in California somewhere.

Rhetorical question... would someone please tell me (us) what happened between Jo and her ex? They have a good relationship and work well together, I see no animosity and where I didn't get the feeling either party was interested in getting back together, this episode changed my mind about that.

It is not that I haven't seen a relationship like this before, we have a friend who has had a similar relationship with his ex for years after they parted. He has moved on, lives in another state with his current girlfriend, but visits his ex whenever he is in the area and will fly in to help her with something concerning the house or car, whatever she needs. He has family the next state over and does gigs in the area a few times a year (he is a musician), so he has ties here, but they carry on very much like Jo and Alex, friendly and helpful to each other with no underlying animosity.

The drama will continue in to the finale. I knew they should not have trusted that Emily. The woman is bad news.

4 months ago

That should have been (Andrew) Davies above...

4 months ago
appara2
guru

I'm not sure why Jo and her ex are not together, but they still have an easy chemistry with each other, so it could just be a case of best friends but never should have married. Even their daughter is not schemeing to get them to reconcile?
When Brooks leaned in for the kiss and Jo's response was that he was being so dramatic and "he wasn't going off to war!" I darn near fell outta my chair laughing! I love her!
I wonder if Emily realized that she just about ended the world of AI's when she triggered the upload!! I am sure we will see more of her in the next season, or perhaps even in the finale?

4 months ago

Deedee, Giri/Haji - Duty/Shame is a winner! Interesting, different - love the lead actors. I am up to E5, riveting. The subtitles for the Japanese are a bit wonky, at times they go so fast I can't get it all in or I am missing them as they aren't showing on screen... don't know why they would place them so low that they don't show. It isn't making a difference though, I pick up on what they are saying without them. Soler, this is on Netflix, I am not sure this is something you would enjoy, but definitely worth a try.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Glad you are liking it, Brit. I would welcome a second season.

The hippie dippier Endeavour was just on, and hoo boy, was that a weird one.

Have you seen Gideon's Daughter? Not sure if I missed the talk here on it, but it has our friend Bill N. front and center. And Robert Lindsay before the elements took his finer points.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the Armenian episode of No Passport.

4 months ago

No, I haven't seen that Deedee, that's a new one to me. I looked it up, cracker cast. It is on Britbox, which I don't have as yet. Plan to at some point, so on the list it goes.

Episode five of "Giri/Haji" had me on the end of my seat. What tension... I had to stop watching after the episode, couldn't move on, even though I so wanted to know what happened next, I need to take a break first.

The line when Yuto asks "Am I dead" and Rodney (the rent boy) replies "you're not dead, you're in a xxxx uber" - perfect. Out of context, I realize it does not dazzle, in that moment, it moved the whole mood of the scene (and made me crack up). Nope, you are not dying today, we all knew that Yuto's story would continue and onward we went.

4 months ago

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the split series 2&view=detail&mid=4E8B78EDFE480C4150584E8B78EDFE480C415058&FORM=VIRE

Season 2 of The Split is airing in the UK, no air date yet for the US. I am looking forward to this, I enjoyed the first season, particularly seeing Nicola Walker in a more glamorous role.

4 months ago
deedee713
guru

Oh good, thanks Brit. Sheesh, they surely take long between seasons, don't they?

4 months ago

If you want to take a nostalgic look back to the music of the sixties, "Echo in the Canyon" is available on Netflix. The film focuses on the music that came out of Laurel Canyon, California during this period. The film starts out strong, there are some great interviews, and that, mixed with the original music, pulled me right in. Unfortunately I have to agree with the reviews I read (after I watched) - the film loses its way and starts meandering, about midway, not quite sure what it is suppose to be.

While the clips of the original music are stong, the covers we hear are poor by comparion... all except one, Jade Castrino's version of The Mamas and Papas, Go Where You Want to Go... it is glorious. It took Michele Phillip's breath away when she heard it and that says alot. If you watch till that point, you will see the best the film has to offer (along with the early interviews). I had no idea who Jade Castrino was prior to the movie, in fact, other than Norah Jones I knew none of the contemporary artists. No loss on my behalf, but I can not get JC's version out of my head, it was that memorable. I am interested in seeing what she does next in her career.

4 months ago

I don't want to insult anyone who may be a fan, but I do not get Jakob Dylan. In my opinion, the film's failings fall directly on his shoulders. Obviously the son of Bob Dylan, you can see the resemblance, other than his reaction to Michele Philips' delight in Jade Castrino's version of "Go Where You Want To Go" he did not really engage with any of the participants he interviewed.

If you watch him closely half the time he is not directly looking at them while they are speaking. I swear if he had a phone in front of him would have been scrolling on it - there was little personal connection between him and those he interviewed, though I would guess that it was the fact that he is his father's son that got them to the table in the first place.

I could almost feel his dislike for David Crosby, warrented or not, it should not be picked up by the audience. His renditions of the iconic songs he played for the film were undistinguished. Yes, I know he has fronted a band for many years, and they did have a hit in the 90's. That, in itself, does not give him much cred. When you do not have to support yourself solely from the music industry you have the luxury of choosing to front a band and make records to your hearts content. It seems to be the elephant in the room that no one wants to acknowledge out loud.

4 months ago
soler
expert

Brit .. wouldn't mind seeing Season 2 of The Split .. Nicole Walker in a role of a professional person would be something different. Now a days used ta seeing her on a tractor. lol As for Jakob Dylan , not surprised by what ya said of him. These off spring of famous people live under a two edge sword . Doors get opened to opportunities that other people don't get but they then get compared to their famous parent and many times don't match up. Thinking of Frank Sinatra , now who could open more doors than ol' Frank.. problem was none of his kids could carry a note in a bucket and no matter how hard Sinatra pushed he couldn't he couldn't turn them into singers who could carry their own water. One exception I can think of at the top of my head is Judy Garland's daughter Liza , always thought she had talent and could stand on her own.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

I agree on The Split, solar. I want to live in that office. Those views!

As for Dylan's (whom I was never crazy about, even though I was supposed to be) son, I'm not surprised. I have found very few offspring to have the same talent as their parents. I can't remember if I liked Hank Williams Jr., but I definitely did not like Glenn Frey (whom I loved) to have a lick of his dad's talent. Frank must have been so proud of his kids - not. But true on Liza, she didn't go far enough with her talent.

But more than the talent was the personality, imo. Like all kids of parents that age, they had it easier and thus were softer. They didn't have to suffer like Hank or Judy did, so they didn't have the pathos in their voice. And that is what drew me to singers of the '40s and '50s, having lived through terrible times and their ability to communicate it in their voice.

Like my favorite television detectives, I liked my singers when they weren't too happy in their
personal lives, like Johnny Cash. Okay, so Sinatra was an anomaly, but his was another god given talent.

3 months ago

Hey Deedee, you are still up too! I was never a big Dylan fan either. The myth (of Dylan) came to eclipse the man. That can be hard to live with, but the multi millions he made helped cushion the blow I am sure.

I finished watching E6 of "GiriHaji", it was a another good episode. I thought the way they simultaneously showed the memorial services for the dad/granddad, in Japan and England (on the beach) was beautifully done. I am taking a break again before I watch the next episode, I am on the edge waiting to see how this all ends... too much tension, I need to come up for air first!

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

LOL, dog walking around the clock, every two hours. My new motto: old people should not get puppies!

I'm so glad you like it, Brit! The lead guy was pretty easy on the eyes too, that didn't hurt. I also especially liked the rent boy, well written, well acted.

I haven't found another I'm drawn to yet, I'll let you know if I do.

3 months ago

Every two hours... that is a toughie, Dee. I am taking your motto to heart. He certainly is easy on the eyes, as is his brother, just in a different way. Both very attractive men. Rodney's (the rent boy) dialogue is so well written, he is always there with that punch of truth cutting through all the stuff that is said just for the sake of saying it. His speech at the rehab meeting was so spot on... to the point, beautifully written and honest to a fault.

I would have passed the series by had you not said something about it which would have been a shame as it is the best thing I have watched in a while. So a big thank you for that!

3 months ago

Soler, did you hear the news. The Crown will now end after S5, instead of S6 as was originally proposed.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/31/crown-will-end-season-5-confirms-creator-12161427/

I also read (in another article) that part of this decision to end it early probably has to do with the cost to produce the series, which is quite high.

I am currently re-watching The Aristocrat's. I had borrowed the DVD from the library years ago when I was in New York, but I don't remember a thing about it. It is like I am seeing it for the first time! Have you seen this, I think you would like it. It is currently on Prime, but you can also find it on the 'Tube, although I don't know what the quality is like.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

You're welcome, Brit, the streaming channels don't make it easy to find the gems. Netflix had a new offering, Taken Down, which was a class A stinker.

The life of an actor must be very hard. If they don't become a has been 'star', like Tom Cruise, and get the big bucks for garbage, they wait to find their big break and must capitalize on it to save enough for retirement. Hopefully. For example,
Takehiro Hira, and the 'rent boy', Will Sharpe. It is hard enough for me to remember the title of this series, let alone the actors. Meanwhile, Adam Sandler is ubiquitous and vomitous.

Then there's Joseph Sikora in Power, a limited (thank heavens) bloody violent show on Starz in which Sikora is the standout, as is the kid with whom he interacts. She is wonderful. The show is puerile to the max, but as I predicted big things for Merritt Wever, I predict Joseph Sikora will do very well.

I couldn't make it as an actor.

3 months ago

Deedee, the Hubs watches Power, I see bits of it here and there when he has it on. I am going to go look up Joseph Sikora.

3 months ago

Deedee, I forgot to add, nothing is more silly(nothing) than "Still Open All Hours" and I am like a dog with a bone with that series, I don't miss it. I don't even try to explain it, it is what it is. I think I am at the bottom of the totem pole with that one, Power is at least a step up.

3 months ago

I am all caught up with Sanditon as I did watch last night - no comments as I am not sure where everyone is with the series. As delighted as I am to have a new Austen production, and I have been happily watching, I must admit that this production does not really grab me. Nice diversion, but it is very doubtful whether I would ever make the effort to re-watch it again. I have re-watched Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility countless times each, always with great anticipation... Sandition does not fall in this category for me.

I feel the same way about the movie Emma, I did not care for the movie and even less for Gwyneth Paltrow in the main role. Seeing that once was more than enough for me. To be fair, this is one of my least favorite Austen books so there is that to. A new version is coming soon, the saving grace, Bill Nighy is playing Mr. Woodhouse. For that alone I will watch it once it hits cable.

3 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I guess you follow I Heart British TV on F/B? They said they got tons of negative comments about Sanditon. I haven't stopped on it at all, since I dislike costume dramas.

Oh, I have my guilty pleasures, but I find it silly that I am transfixed by Joseph Sikora and linger on the show. Must be lack of sleep, lol.

3 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.