TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments
appara2
guru

Emergence!
I think there is something 'built' into her, she can't refuse to communicate with Kindred? I'm still not sure if she has memories, or just files them away so that she can live a 'normal' life? I think she is aware, afterall she did remove that tracker out of her neck in the beginning?
And the blue drink...I was seeing shades of blue throughout the show so I agree, there is going to be something happening with that colour. As for a cure in the drink, I'm not sure how to explain her having access to 'cancer curing' materials, unless it's in her touch?
Love the sister bond Piper still has with Mia. I would also like to know why Jo and Alex divorced?? The chat on the deck continues to show how good they are together.

Is it just me, or does Piper kind of resemble Jo every now and again??

6 months ago
appara2
guru

The Durrells final episode

War is closer than they thought. Pretty well from the time that Theo broke the news to Louisa, and then when he went to ask Gerry to release some of his critters I had a lump in my throat. Even the emotional farewell of Louisa and Spiros seemed right. It was a very satisfying episode all round, good thing we have Margo to lighten the mood.

6 months ago
soler
expert

Found this ep.sad appara2 …. the whole good bye thing with Gerry's animals and Louisa realizing that their time on Corfu was coming to an end . There might be something next week on the Durrells . Thought I caught a glimpse of the title ' What the Durrells did next ' or something like that.

6 months ago

I was a bit underwhelmed with the action surrounding the play, I understood why they chose that to speak to the family's time in Corfu, but it was lacking in some way for me. That being said, yes, Appara it was an emotional and satisfying last episode and quite sad as you say Soler. I found myself tearing up at the end, they (the writers and actors) conveyed in a very touching way the emotional journey each of the characters made on this adventure and I found myself reflecting on how some journeys in our lives are for only a wisp of a time, yet have such a lasting impact. There was so much that they all went through in those four years, a short period when you think of it in terms of absolute time, yet they will carry those people and experiences with them as they have forever been changed by them.

I can see Louisa thinking of Spiros often, playing through her mind what could have been and fighting though the pain of that loss. He will be with her always in her heart. Theo was Gerry's mentor and friend, the person who helped Gerry find his path in life. Theo will also travel with Gerry no matter where he goes. Leslie had several relationships, but one of the closest, without ever asking more of him than he could give, was Lugaretzia. You don't forget the people who love you for just being who you are. Larry became the author he so wanted to be and Margo became a shining star.

I am looking forward to seeing "What the Durrell's Did Next". I looked up the cast and it looks to be quite good.

6 months ago

I have kept up with Stumptown and where the last episode was a bit too connived for me, (I was glad that PI Artie Banks did not return, to me that would have been a misstep for the series) this recent one (E5) was pretty much pitch perfect. Jake Johnson gave a measured and believable performance as Grey, he has a firm grasp on the character and has made him an interesting one - a loving and caring man with an edge and a complicated past that we finally get to see.

The action was stellar in this one, oh my goodness I get a perverse pleasure from watching Dex beat the crap out of the lowlifes that come after her. In this episode, this scum was wailing in to her with no mercy, and I will admit fully it makes me so happy to see her able to take it and give it back with all she has - at one point she grabs a kitchen towel to choke him - it was a strong move on her part - I just about got off the sofa and cheered. It is so nice to see a woman (even in fiction) who can handle her self with strength. She controls her fear, thinks quickly and has the knowledge to fight and protect herself. Kudos to her.

I plan to stick with this series, it can be uneven, but it has enough that interests me to keep me coming back.

6 months ago

That was supposed to be "contrived" for me. Oh, my.

6 months ago
elasaroy

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

6 months ago

For those of you that have Netflix, I have been binging a series that I am just loving - I can't get enough and I am already feeling the loss as I am close to the end of the second season - The Kominsky Method, starring Alan Arkin and Michael Douglas. I hesitate to recommend it because I think it is one of those series that either it speaks to you or it falls completely flat - this is not something I generally would watch myself, not my usual thing by any means. In fact, I passed it over more times than I can remember, but for some reason I decided to watch the trailer which than led me to watching the first episode. I decided to give it another episode, than another … before I knew it, I was obsessed. It is fabulous! Alan Arkin plays Norman, a curmudgeon of spectacular proportions. He takes sourpuss to another level. Though based in Los Angeles, this is New York humor at its' finest. And that is what draws me in. I love it. I am praying that they get the go ahead for another season, because I am going to miss it when I am finished.

6 months ago

I finally, after wanting to see it for so long, got to watch the movie The Dressmaker with Kate Winslet and Judy Davis. This all happened because the hubs needed a refill of a supplement he takes to help to reduce his cholesterol (go figure!) … He decided to order it on his own, he does not have an account and mine (of course) came up … let us just say that he was not able to purchase the product, but I somehow wound up with a months free trial of Amazon Prime. I don't know what he did, but I can guess. That Prime subscription pops up everywhere when you are on that site.

Since I now have it, I decided I might as well use it and The Dressmaker was the first thing I watched. I can use my Chromecast to cast it to the TV so that is a good thing. As happens (often) when you are looking so forward to watching something your expectations are high and you can find yourself disappointed in the end. (That did not happen with the Downton movie though, it exceeded my expectations which was a pleasant surprise).

Both Winslet and Davis gave it everything they had, the effort was made, but I did not care for it. I read reviews afterward and it received many accolades, so this is one that either you got it or it fell flat for you and I was in the later group.

I would like to see more of "DCI Banks", I watched a few episodes a long time ago on The 'Tube, liked it, so I might do that as they are available. There are not too many British series that Prime has direct access to anymore. Most are through Acorn (which I have) or Britbox.

6 months ago

I have been saving the latest episode of Emergence and will probably watch it at some point this weekend.

6 months ago
appara2
guru

Mr. Toibin had a long and productive life, he will be missed. I noticed in the write-up that a documentary about him is ready to air.

Did anyone else watch the real life story of the Durrells? Showing the 'in real life' was an amazing way to finish up the series.

6 months ago

I need to get caught up a bit...

I thoroughly enjoyed The Durrells documentary, I have to say that Keeley Hawes is such a beauty. Wonderful actress, beautiful woman and very natural in both her look and style of acting. She is a rare jewel in the industry. We did not get to hear much about Leslie other than a few mentions. I wonder why. From what I read, Margo described him as generous and Gerald called him boisterous given his interests in hunting and fishing (and all things outdoors). He married in 1952, left England to farm in Kenya after that, that endeavor failed and he went back to England in 1968 and worked as a concierge at a Marble Arch hotel. He seemed to live a more quiet life than Gerald and Margo. If I remember correctly, it was mentioned that the siblings all came together at Gerald's home in the South of France in the summers, so they did keep in touch and that would indicate they were close through their lives.

6 months ago

Emergence... okay, that ending was a real shocker wasn't it?? She had us (and Jo) all fooled. Here I thought we were wrapping things up and bam - off we go again. I have no idea what is to become of Piper, which is a large part of what keeps us coming back (other than that lovely family) - they are keeping the suspense going and doing it very well. Looking forward to the next episode.

Another good episode of Sumptown. More backstory on Dex, and they are moving forward with Grey's life... this is going to be interesting. I am glad to see that Camryn Manheim had more screen time in this episode, she has been underutilized to this point, so I hope they continue expanding her character.

6 months ago

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5541/the_darling_buds_of_may_reboot/

Did you all hear of this? I enjoyed the original, it was written by my favorite writer of that era Bob Larbey. A man who is greatly missed by me. I have a feeling that this might make it to PBS as there is nothing (yet) to fill the empty slot the ending of The Durrells left here in the States. This would certainly do it, as it is a light "feel good" family story much in the vein of The Durrells and with Simon Nye potentially slated to take on the project, it will not sway in to the dark side as the recent Poirot adaptations have.

6 months ago

Deedee, I found the movie Pirate Radio on Prime. I remember that was a favorite of yours. There isn't too much available, I watched the first episode of Wycliffe, I never saw that one, I watched the series on The 'Tube a number of years ago and must of missed it. I may rewatch the first series again because I don't recall much, if any, of it. I also watched Inspector Wexford's, "Road Rage", I have listened to the audiobook and wanted to see the story in action. I have watched a number of the episodes in the past (again on 'The 'Tube) and I grew rather tired of Wexford and his sidekick. I found them both irritating. This was good, but I am not going to watch any further.

I may try Murderland next with Robbie Coltrane.

6 months ago
elasaroy

6 months ago
deedee713
guru

I did like it, Brit. Don't know if I would now, but I hope it's still good.

I must have watched Murderland, because I like Coltrane, but don't remember that either.

I found this praised on DS - there's a thread on Amazon Prime shows - and it looks interesting. A live action cartoon called Undone. I would recommend Bosch if you haven't seen it, and heartily advise against Goliath.

6 months ago
amysmith

6 months ago
soler
expert

I may try Murderland next with Robbie Coltrane.

Good selection Brit ….. betcha Murderland will be a good view. Used to love watching Coltrane as Cracker
…… forensic psychology at it's best . Loved how he so casually picked away at the thought processes of a killer like an onion peel and then returned home to a thoroughly dysfunctional and chaotic home life. Wife on the verge of killing him she would be so frustrated with his gambling addiction and careless money management. funny , funny stuff.

Piper learning how to control and use her powers could lead to some interesting situations especially as Mia has some control over her as a big sister influence. Staying tuned.

6 months ago

I watched Murderland last night. It was so good to see Robbie Coltrane again - I will tell you he did not look healthy and this was back in 2009 or so. I understand he was older than his Cracker days, you have to take that in consideration, but it was more than the aging process.

(He went on after Murderland to do the Harry Potter movies and garner a whole new audience of fans, he has continued to work and has had a high profile.)

I understand the health issues have become worst in recent years, he has extremely bad arthritis in the knees and requires surgery. He is hoping to be back in form after his knees are replaced. I think what I was picking up while watching him in Murderland was the pain he was in. You could see it on his face when he was moving and walking.

Murderland was okay, not great. The beginning was much better (and more believable) than the end. All this new information (and motives) comes rushing out in the last fifteen/twenty minutes and it is thrown at the audience and left there. While the victim's younger daughter is on screen (the actress is wonderful) it is captivating. Once the adult actress takes over, the story begins to fail.

It is a very sad story, and one which was done so much better in the mini series "Place of Execution". That was a hard watch but superb. "Murderland" did not even come close to this level.

6 months ago
appara2
guru

I noticed this is coming up on PBS - The Chaperone, on Sunday November 24th. Mixed reviews on this movie, I have it set to record.
Louise Brooks is a rebellious 15-year-old schoolgirl who dreams of fame and fortune in the early 1920s. She soon gets her chance when she travels to New York to study with a leading dance troupe for the summer -- accompanied by a watchful chaperone.

6 months ago

Thanks for the reminder, Appara, I wanted to watch that. I will go and set the DVR now before I forget.

6 months ago
appara2
guru

I also found a familiar (Durrell) face that has been cast in All Creatures Great and Small
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/all-creatures-great-small-casting-news/

I too wondered about the lack of Leslie in the Durrell documentary. I got the impression that he avoided the spotlight? Sadly, no children? It was fun to hear about the real Margo, flamboyant till the end! I had to laugh at the granddaughter, delving into her interesting life!!
Also, I was surprised at how short Larry was, I think that threw me the most LOL!!

6 months ago
soler
expert

Have been enjoying Season 3 of The Crown on Netflix . Have been keeping an open mind on the changeover that has happened to the main characters. Olivia Coleman has taken over from Claire Foy as the Queen . Season covers from 1964 to 1977. Although not been entirely accepted by some I think she is a good fit as an older Queen . Helena Bonham Carter is doing a good job as the bitchy Margaret ( a royal I could never tolerate ) and the Phillip actor is starting to get on my nerves with that phony sounding accent he talks with. Prince Phillip has never been a favorite of mine so it's easy to be critical I guess. Over all a good production I would say .

6 months ago

Soler, I haven't started The Crown yet, I am saving it for a bit. Also, I need to pace myself this time, I can not watch two episodes at a sitting as I have only one season in front of me. I would gobble them up if I let myself! Glad to hear that you approve of Coleman, I loved Clair Foy in the part, she will be missed, but Olivia is such a crackerjack actress that I am sure I will enjoy every moment of her.

The news is full of the Royal family of late and none of it is good. Prince Andrew is pulling back from public life and I don't see that changing in the future, particularly under Charles' tutelage when that takes place. He is waiting for the moment he can banish him and his family from the Royal coffers. Granted, Andrew will always live in luxury, but Charles will do all he can to keep that to a simmer.

I don't know how the Epstein connection is viewed in Canada, but most American's feel he is as guilty as sin and don't believe a word he says. Much damage has been done to the Royal institution by his dirty lifestyle. What upset me was a comment I read stating that the Queen and Charles are furious with him over it all but, here is the clincher, it isn't because they have a problem with his behavior, which I have also read is well known in his circles, it is because it has come to light and caused the monarchy embarrassment. This makes me angry I have to say. I know Andrew is her favorite, but how do you excuse horrendous behavior such as this? There have been many scandals over the years - and many that were lurid in some way - they need to rein themselves in and start to see themselves as part of the real world rather than entitled and above the law.

They need to concentrate on their good works and charities and leave the "celebrity" to the entertainment industry.

6 months ago

I have been watching DCI Banks on Prime... what a good series this is. I had my doubts that Stephen Tompkinson could pull the role off, I was never a great fan of his in Bally K, he has proved me wrong though, he is quite compelling and nails it. I am sorry that there is only five seasons.

The best part... the Hubs is watching it with me. He thinks the series is great. Can't believe it - I don't know when we have watched a TV show together other than The Sopranos. Movies, yes, occasionally, but our taste is so different he has never shown a millimeter of interest in any thing I watch. No, I am wrong on that, I am forgetting Poirot... he does enjoy watching David Suchet as our little friend. Okay, this is the second show he enjoys.

I got a kick out this... he was telling one of his coworkers that he was watching it and how good it is, he couldn't remember the name, told him it was British as if this alone was going to help (I explained to him after the fact that there is a plethora of British detective series, he would need a bit more than that to describe it) … well, than he told him that it was on Prime and much to my surprise his coworker knew what he was talking about and said he re-watches the episodes on a regular basis. When I thought about it, there is so little British programing left on Prime that it wasn't that hard to figure out what series he was talking about.

6 months ago
soler
expert

I know you will enjoy The Crown Season 3 Brit .. it flows along very nicely. I am not binging on it thou as I am watching 2 other shows. There are some scenes that triggers a thought in my head that these people lead a closed off life of privilege and entitlement. Coleman is portraying the Queen as someone filled with a sense of duty and is trying to do the right thing. Yes Brit , we are getting a lot of news on Andrew or as I like to refer to him as ' Air Miles Andy ' . That interview was a train wreck ( snicker snicker ) He had slipped into 1st place as my most hated Royal upon then death of Margaret who was the QUEEN of entitlement. Trying to distance himself from that creep Epstein. . Not workin' for ya Andy boy. . Best thing ta do is relieve him of all his duties .. get him out of sight . Enjoy DCI Banks Brit.

6 months ago
pharmacyonline786

6 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, is this your first time watching DCI Banks? It was a very good show, nice that you and hubs are watching together.

If anyone has Showtime, Back To Life is very good.

Has anyone seen Alastair?

6 months ago

No, and I was going to post and ask the same question. We haven't heard from Alastair in quite some time.

Alastair, giving you a big wave from New Jersey. Hope everything is good with you!

6 months ago

Oh Deedee, sorry I did not answer you question. I did get a chance to watch a few episodes on The 'Tube a few years ago. I was impressed then, mainly because I was shocked that Tompkinson pulled the role off, but it wasn't until I watched S2 & 3 that I really got on board with it. I thought these were even better than the first. We are now going in to S4, so I will see if the quality continues.

6 months ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all! I know Soler it is not your Thanksgiving, but you can share with us!continue

Has anyone caught up with the most recent episode of Emergence? Wow, this story is taking on a whole 'nother life. Still good stuff.

Appara, what did you think of The Chaperone? I didn't dislike it, yet I didn't warm up to it either. The word that came to my mind as I was watching was overwrought. I found the performances by both Elizabeth McGovern and Haley Lu Richardson to be predictable and too over acted. No subtly to be found anywhere. Just meh for me.

6 months ago

I have started to re-watch S1 of Case Histories. I am being more cautious of revisiting shows after my recent experience with River - you are so right Deedee, going back does not always turn out to be a good decision, the second go around can leave you with disappointment as the show does not always live up to your memory of it. In this case, I don't remember much of anything of the series so that is not as much of an issue. I forgot how much I like watching Jason Isaacs. I am sorry he hasn't been in more productions that interest me, I would definitely like to see more of him.

I really liked him in the series Awake, remember it Deedee? That was a while back, I was reading Digital Spy like a crazy woman back then following everyone's theories on what was really happening with the two separate worlds we were watching. If I remember correctly, I don't think you were as big a fan as I was, the back and forth got on your nerves. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

6 months ago

Well, they have remade Jane Austen's Emma, which will have a more comedic spin on it this go around. I wouldn't even bother with it knowing this, but the cast is a good one. Bill Nighy is Mr. Woodhouse... I have seen a trailer and he looks to be playing it to the hilt as only he can. Rupert Graves is also in it (I really like him) and Miranda Hart. They had me at Bill Nighy on this one. Movie is coming out in January.

6 months ago
soler
expert

Happy Thanksgiving Brit . Ours was last month. Watched Emergence this afternoon . Still has a hold on me. One thing I don't understand in the story line is the relationship between Jo and her husband , separated but get along very well , never explains any reason for the split so why was it written in to the show. Don't trust that FBI guy. Something seems off with him , Jo is suspicious as well. Piper now knows who she is with that little disk she got from mom so now we should get little hints from her words and actions. Finale is Tues. Dec.10 … two weeks time. Save some turkey for me Brit … lol

6 months ago
appara2
guru

The Chaperone was less than I expected (going from the writeup) I agree, meh would be my rating too LOL. Also, I'm not an avid fan of McGovern's acting, so having her in the lead role didn't help. I did enjoy young Miss Brooks, and of course the costumes and scenery were awesome.
On my PBS Dec 1 I'm going to watch the first 3 episodes of Crimson Field (2014), and the next 3 on Dec 8th. I didn't see this the first time it aired, and with a lot of my shows on break, this is perfect timing for me

6 months ago
deedee713
guru

Happy Thursday, everyone!

I look forward to your opinion after seeing the finale of DCI Banks, Brit. Back to Life started out well, then got sloppy. I'm finding zero interesting to watch right now.

I do remember Awake, and the very pretty Jason, but the end was such a cop out, I've wiped it out of my brain bank. A French forensic procedural, Balthazar, on Acorn with a very pretty lead Tomer Sisley, is, sadly, a waste of time. Oh, and the extreme closeups of opening the bodies doesn't help either. See the review from IMDb below, it is spot on. One line was interesting, the ME determined that the corpse used to be 'as healthy as an American'. Hah.

If M*A*S*H reruns weren't on some channel all the time, I wouldn't even bother to turn on the television. Or, perhaps I am too lazy to pick amongst the many streaming channels.

Anywho, enjoy your day, one and all.

*This is a somewhat entertaining French production that is marred by silly, trite dialog that perhaps is humorous to the French but does not translate well, globally. Common to many French productions is having the lead actor speaking with dead people, which really does not add much credibility to the script. The acting is mediocre. Overall, it is watchable when there is little else in your queue.

6 months ago

Soler, I have watched two episodes of The Crown. I am holding back and going slow.

After the first episode I was so missing the original cast, disappointment loomed everywhere and Olivia Coleman did nothing to abate this. I did not like one, not one, of the new actors portrayals of the characters. No one meshed with me. Olivia is very good, I always enjoy her, but she is playing the Queen as a woman who has thrown in the towel - granted she is older, but lets not put her out to pasture quite yet.

I am so missing Claire Foy, her portrayal was electric, she gave the Queen some sparkle ... she had a light about her that Olivia has completely distinguished. I'll put it this way, I like watching Olivia, she is a wonderful actress... as the Queen, she is making her character as dull as dishwater. Just because one turns 60 doesn't mean that one turns in to a doddering has-been.

And then there is Helena Bonham Carter, she seemed so miscast to me... I didn't get it at all. Forget about Tobias Menzies as Philip, mainly because he is completely forgettable.

Then came episode two and things somewhat changed. The episode was great, I really enjoyed it. Helena Bonham Carter shone as Princess Margaret. I know Margaret is not your favorite, I do have a soft spot for her and I thought Bonham captured her at her best. That whole White house scene with LBJ was delicious. It just shows how wrong things can be interpreted by other cultures (including we Americans). The Brits were trying everything to get in LBJ's good graces, and understanding nothing about him. The last thing he wanted was everything served on a "silver tray". In comes Margaret with her partying, boisterous ways - a woman who likes to have a good time - and she is made in heaven for Lyndon and Lady Bird.

Margaret lived to be in the spot light and was destined to always walk behind. She had her moment on her trip to the US and she could revel in that for the remainder of her life, because that was the pinnacle of her later years (as we know, she was quite popular in her younger years). I do think Phillip's statement about the sisters was true, Elizabeth's steadfast and conservative ways were better for the monarchy. I do believe the monarchy would be in tatters by now if she was not at its' helm.

5 months ago
soler
expert

Brit .. it is so hard to settle back into a show after a complete wipe of original cast. I wonder if Olivia ever had second thoughts of taking on the role , after all , Claire left some pretty big shoes to fill. Elizabeth is now more mature and I think Olivia is trying to portray this … her problem is that everyone still remembers Claire . Oh well .. I still find the story flow runs along very good. I found that ep. with Mountbatten very interesting but I wonder how true to fact it was. Mountbatten was another character I never warmed up to .. it all come down to entitlement .. if you know anything about Mountbatten arrogance and entitlement would fill a room and that is just lightly touching on him .. his marriage to Edwina was a whole other story . lol Margaret , Andrew , Mountbatten in that order . I think the Monarchy will take a slide after the Queen dies . Charles will be the King but he just doesn't have the same degree of respect and love that his mother has.

5 months ago

Charles will be the King but he just doesn't have the same degree of respect and love that his mother has.

I think you are right about that Soler. And, the latest turmoil with Harry and Megan is not helping things. This has turned in to an uncomfortable situation that is drawing negative attention, there has been much too much "stuff" following that union. I know you are a fan of Harry's, I am not, but I was hoping for the best for him with his marriage. My opinion of that union has changed as it always seems to be tottering on calamity. Unfortunately, I think this will continue on. Coupled with the disaster that is Andrew, without the Queen to provide stability, the monarchy will take a slide after she is gone. It was her ongoing presence that got it through the affairs and scandals of the last twenty odd years.

5 months ago

I watched a real oldie but goodie... "Meet Me in Saint Louis" with Judy Garland and Margaret O'Brien. Although I have seen it many times, it had been quite a while since I last watched it. Nostalgia at its' best as we view a sweet, perfect world and sing along to those much loved songs.

5 months ago
appara2
guru

Merry Christmas!
I am finally seeing a white wonderland here!! The tree is up and decorated, I'm starting on some holiday baking and I think I'm ready for a fun few days with friends and family! LOL

Wishing a safe and happy holiday season to y'all!

5 months ago

Merry Christmas! I have been swept off my feet with Christmas preparations, but I have been thinking and missing you all! We need a good chat to get caught-up on what we are watching.

No snow my way as yet Appara, the weather is predicted to be mild through Christmas day. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas!

Soler, all the best to you (I have been watching more of "The Crown". .. you are so right, the entitlement is flowing this season, more on this later). I hope you have a lovely day! Pour yourself some eggnog and load a "Midsomer" Christmas episode in the DVD player. There are two, correct? One with our Tom (Joyce's parents were visiting - oh, that is a good one!) and another with "the new guy". :) :)

Deedee, wishing you a great day with the hubs and the new addition to your family. I can only imagine the craziness that is ensuing at your house... every decoration is a new toy to be enjoyed. These are the times when it is best to keep things to a minimum, yet it is so much fun to see our little ones enjoy themselves. When my cat was younger she got the biggest kick out of ribbon. There was ribbon everywhere when I wrapped presents. These days she is not as interested and Mom uses decorative bags instead of paper. Though, she still lays under the Christmas tree like she is part of the display. Makes me smile every time.

Alastair, a Merry, Merry Christmas to you! Wishing you a day filled with happiness and a much loved Christmas movie. I watched my favorite the other night, "Love Actually". Always gets to me...the best.

P.S. I still so fondly remember our Christmas-time conversations from our days on the Vintage (A&E) board. Especially our Christmas Eve chats, they filled my day with much joy. That will always remain such a special time to me.

5 months ago
deedee713
guru

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and Happy New Year to everyone here.

We are a quiet few of late, but that is understandable. PBS would rather show sappy holiday shows than the good old biscuits - Blake and Vera were on in the wee hours of the morning, instead.

Thank you, Brit. I am this close to returning Buddy the puppy but I won't. Note to self: when approaching very old age, don't get a puppy, even if there exists a pervasive chasm the size of the Grand Canyon left by the death of the previous soul dog. I expect the whirling dervish from hell will calm down some day.

I believe we're getting the new Blake (good and bad on that on DS), and Endeavour (happier days on the rerun last night on PBS), and I guess some other few shows I watch, next year.

I have caught some amazing movies on Netflix and other streaming and pay channels, shame one has to pay to see really good television, and even that at a minimum. Marriage Story (featuring two actors I knew from minute one were going to be BIG - Merritt Wever and Adam Driver), Unbelievable, Barry, Chernobyl, Back to Life, ****** Creek, and Silicon Valley are my top favorites. Even with all of this, I'm mostly watching M*A*S*H, relegated to even the early seasons.

Oh, and The Irishman? Watchable if you don't care to see diversity in media in 2019.

Wishing all here health and happiness in the New Year. Oh, and the continuation of this meeting place.

5 months ago
soler
expert

Hello all ……. we all have had a little bit of a break from the board . Two weeks this time of year goes quick . Appara2 we had snow here about 6cm ( 2 1/2 in ) but had a mild light rain last night , most of it's gone , more light rain tomorrow so by Christmas Day it will be green. Make it easy for people traveling. Yeah Brit … hard ta get past the ol' entitlement stuff in the Crown lol ….. as a side note , Prince Charles who I do not consider as an entitlement monster , I read has his man servant lay out his clothes in the morning for him lol Prince Harry and Megan are over here ( somewhere ) for Christmas , hiding I expect …. ta get away from ' the family ' lol but still enjoying ' The Crown '. As for Midsomer , I will be starting back at Ep # 1 after next week end. Will be good ta be back with Nettles and gang. As for a Midsomer Christmas , a good idea . Ghosts of Christmas Past ( 2004 ) I think has Joyce's parents in it along with the guy who played Supt. Mullett in ' A Touch of Frost ' .

5 months ago
appara2
guru

Soler, I think that Megan lived in Toronto for quite a few years, so it would be too easy to bring her mom over the border and then spend some time with friends as well?

I have been watching previous episodes of Vera for the last couple months (up to series 4) and on the 28th I see that series9 is set to air here. So, there is going to be a big jump from what I am getting to know of the characters!! I did see series8 so I do know the 'not Joe' already LOL

And of course, Series10 is starting in the new year across the pond, as is Death In Paradise, so I will likely get to see them toward the middle/end of this year :D

We have such a thick heavy hoarfrost on the trees, it has been so warm here lately. Today we were at -4c (25ish F). If only we would get some sunshine so that we could see the sparkles, instead of these grey snowy skies!

5 months ago

Hi everyone, hope your holiday was peaceful and all you had hoped for. I have finally recovered from the frenzy that leads up to the holidays for me. My peace comes two days after "the day" when all has been cleaned-up and put in order and the house is quiet. This is my favorite time, I get to enjoy the ambience and live in my Christmas fairyland (which is when my home looks its' best) and relax.

I have been thinking I need to take a different approach to posting than I currently do (at times). I am going to think of posting like I have you guys on speed dial. Now, I don't actually have anyone on speed dial, but it is the easiest way for me to describe my thinking. With all the preparations with Christmas, I was just too exhausted to stop and write to you although I thought of you and wanted to. I was watching various shows and you know me, I had something to say, but didn't have the time because I had so much to do, to sit and write my usual litany. So, I didn't and I missed you all.

5 months ago

Now, if this board did not exist (heaven forbid) and I wanted to touch base, I would be giving you a quick call and leave a message (because we all have lives and can't talk TV 24/7) or I would text you and give you my two cents on whatever we may be both watching at that time.

For instance, I was watching the third episode of "The Crown" during the lead up to Christmas, the one where Philip was complaining that the royal families' yacht had been reduced in size do to the cost of maintaining it for their use and he found that to be so unjust. The whole, "no one understands how hard we work, and that we deserve to live in the lap of luxury".

Now, Soler, you know I had something to say about that (big eye roll). I was dying to write you but never got to it, every time I wanted to sit down and write, I had to run out the door to do something. If I was giving you a call, I would have left a quick message giving you a short and sweet comment on my thoughts about that. I will not write them now as I do not think the man has much time left on this earth and I don't feel entirely comfortable saying what I truly feel - but you can imagine I am sure.

So in the future, I am going to take that approach here so I don't go these long stretches without at least touching base with you all. When I have the time, like today to write away, I will, but when life gets hectic, I am going to make an effort to drop a line or two about what I am watching (and have something on my mind to say) and leave it at that. You all know me well enough to fill in the thoughts around my comments without me having to say it.

5 months ago

Speaking of "The Crown" I finished the episode where Charles is sent to Wales last night. The royal family is not coming off too well this season, at least in my eyes. It all started with Phillip's treatment of him and his insistence that he go to that archaic school at the end of last season, and Elizabeth's unwillingness to do anything to help her son, though she was aware he was suffering, because she would not buck Phillip.

Their distain for Charles and lack of any loving emotion for him highlights what abysmal parents they truly were. I now have some sympathy for him where I had none before. I can see that he has his own issues to deal with and why he now has no warm feeling towards his parents (which is widely known). I get it. I will never forgive him for his treatment of Diana, but I now have a better understanding of his upbringing and how that has impacted him.

Josh O'Conner is doing a good job with the role of Charles. Of all the new actors I do think he was the best choice. I don't think Olivia Coleman is doing Elizabeth any favors in the role. My opinion of her is changing with every episode and it is not for the better. This is partly because of Elizabeth herself and who she is, but I do feel that it is also as much about Coleman's portrayal. I honestly have to say, I don't think she was the right person to take over the role.

As I had said *Soler*, the entitlement is flowing this season. It is not a pretty sight. I have a feeling that it is only going to get worst as we proceed on. I am still enjoying watching, the series captivates me, but in a different way than it did the first two seasons.

5 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.