TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments

The latest news regarding Death in Paradise. I know him from something, but couldn't put my finger on it... he was in The Cafe, which is a lovely, lovely series that ran on PBS a number of years ago - remember Weston-super Mare? I also watched him more recently in The A Word on Sundance TV.

Site was acting wonky so I had to post in two parts!

8 months ago

Okay, that is interesting, my posts switched around. Soler, the gremlins are back!!!!

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

*sigh* lovely show.

And if I come to like him, how long before the heat gets to him?

8 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. Each one (actor) was so happy to get the job, three years later they could not wait to leave. It has happened to all of them, I don't expect him to last any longer than those that came before. It is possible he may make it four years, by that point the series may have run its' course and that will be the end of it. It's going to take us a season to get use to him (it always does for me), he'll have a good two year run after that, and then they will wrap things up in the forth season. That actually wouldn't be so bad if he can make it for four seasons.

8 months ago
appara2
guru

Detective Insp. Neville is going to be easy on the eyes!! Thanks for the link Brit. :D

re: the Durrell family drama
Did Louisa not just tell Spiros that he can't have his cake and eat it too?? It sure looked like both of them forgot all about putting an end to the flirting? grrrr

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

Interesting that a woman is never considered for the DI part on DIP.

8 months ago
appara2
guru

I don't think that switching the lead to a female would be a problem for the UK entertainment industry, they did replace the lead role of Dr.Who with a female not long ago.
For me, it's the chemistry between characters, also the 'who-dunnit and why' has to have a l bit of mystery leading up to the final solution.

8 months ago

Appara, the current Durrell storyline is so unfortunate. This is all going to explode (if it doesn't implode first). In the conservative culture that is village life in Greece, they are all playing with fire. The war is looming around them and they are moving in to a dark period for Greece, as it was for all of Europe. Margo's feeling to return and stand by her family is admirable, she has much more in her than she has been given credit for. Unfortunately, I don't see things ending well, even in the fantasy (world) that is TV land.

8 months ago

Thankfully, I was wrong, there are six episodes of Emergence! I had looked on IMDB and there were only four listed at the time, so I made an assumption - and we all know where that leads - anyway, there actually are six episodes. I need to get caught up with the last before this week's comes around. I am a happy camper.

8 months ago

Deedee, you will enjoy this! Delia shows us how to make a proper English Sunday lunch. The chocolate bread pudding at the end looks to die for. I am definately trying the method shown for potatoes and I have made Yorkshire pudding in the past, but not in years. With the weather getting colder and my natural inclination to hibernate coming on, I think I will make this for the Hubs and I one Sunday this coming month.

https://youtu.be/SQ-v74BddNY

8 months ago
appara2
guru

What's this?? Chocolate bread pudding?? Please, tell me more!

8 months ago

Appara2, I'll look for Delia's recipe and get back to you. I need it myself!

8 months ago

Soler, Season 3 is coming (finally)!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vLXYfgpqb8A&feature=youtu.be

8 months ago
appara2
guru

I have been enjoying Margo's new-found independence, perhaps more than I should? Maude never stood a chance against her!
The new house 'guests' strike me as filler and don't really add to the storyline, other than more fodder to turn the townspeople against the family.

Hooray for more Emergence!! It seems they are taking a small break, but will return on the 29th,
Not sure what is happening in the US, but quite a few shows are MIA between now and next week??

8 months ago
soler
expert

Thanks Brit ...…. for the heads up on The Crown . Looks like Claire Foy will not be back this season . Replaced by Olivia Coleman . Not sayin' that's bad as were seeing an older Queen at this stage and Coleman might be a very good fit. Looking forward to it . Netflix , November 17 th . Well , I finally got ta see Press , Sunday night and I really don't know what ta say about this show. Just like that saying about BOSE … no highs no lows …. well that about sums it up for me. No points of interest jumped out at me but will watch more of it ta see that lothesum character Duncan Allen get hopefully taken down ( played by Ben Chaplin ) wonder if he had a family member that went by the name of Charlie. lol

8 months ago

Not sure what is happening in the US, but quite a few shows are MIA between now and next week??

Same here, Appara. Stumptown is on hiatus for a few weeks. I am still watching, enough drama to keep me interested in finding out how the season will end. I don't think I will keep up with it beyond this season. The tape player and music choice is the best part, in fact they need to inject a bit more in there. It is the adrenaline rush the storyline needs to keep it pumped. Not nearly as good for me as Emergence. The storyline there is far superior. I find Stumptown to be too contrived, I like a happy ending the same as everyone else, but Dex turning that investigator in to a good guy was one step too far to believe.

Speaking of Emergence, I am all caught up and ready for the next episode. Since I am not sure where you all are, I will only say, we come to find out a bit more about Jo's backstory.... and a turtle crossing the road changes everything. This is good stuff.

8 months ago

Soler, the Duncan Allen character reminds me of the carton character Snidely Whiplash from the Rocky and Bullwinkle show!

I will miss Claire Foy, she was spectacular as the Queen, I think she got it spot on. Olivia is a great choice to take over the reins as the more mature Queen. I'll be honest, The Crown is the only reason I keep Netflix. They are losing all of their British series and there is not a lot left there that I am interested in watching. Once The Crown is over, I am going to move to Britbox I think.

8 months ago
appara2
guru

LOL, I checked out the link for the chocolate bread pudding, one line jumped out at me 'Serve in small portions because it is very rich'. Seriously? This old hen could definitely handle a large portion!!

Emergence - If any haven't watched, hope this is cryptic enough not to ruin it!!

Could there be more 'Pipers'? Was that really a ghost town, or were they secretly being watched? Have to say, creeped me out, as did the smile. I think she is more self aware than she is letting on. LOVE the family dynamic & I think that's what is going to keep me coming back!

8 months ago

Yes, Appara and Deedee, that is the recipe. I was able to get a link (I hope) with both the ingredient list and instructions on the same page. I think because I opened it in Windows, wecwill see if it works.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/chocolate/chocolate-bread-and-butter-pudding

I have made Bread and Butter Pudding - a different version - quite often in the past, haven't made it recently. My version has the typical vanilla custard as opposed to the chocolate in this. I always used Pepperidge Farm's raisin cinnamon bread (or one of their other seasonal flavors) in mine and I think I will do the same with this. The bread is substantial enough to hold up to the custard and the addition of the raisins (with the rum in the recipe) could be nice. I would not add the cinnimon to the custard mixture and lighten up on the sugar as this bread is sweeter than traditional white bread.
I would taste the chocolate mixture before I added the eggs to see if I got the sugar right, and add more as needed.

8 months ago

Oh Dee, I went back and checked your link and it was fine, everything listed on one page. I don't know what happen, when I first click on it I got only the "method" and had to bring the ingredient list up separately. This time, both were there. Sorry about that.

Now, I will also not take off the crusts as the recipe suggests. I have an deep (three to four inch) oval glass dish, the oval comes to more of a point on the ends, deeper in the middle, shallower at the sides, which is the perfect vessel for B&B Pudding.

I cut the bread in to two triangles and layer them, cut side down, down the middle of the dish horizontally and then fill the sides with slices vertically until I have the dish rather tightly filled. You don't want to jam bread in. By doing it this way, I get some crispness on the bit of crusts that will be sticking from the top (like little peaks) when the pudding is cooked. You want to make sure that all the bread gets covered with the custard, so do as the recipe says, push it all down in to the custard. It just makes for a nice presentation to have the bread triangle peaks running through the center.

8 months ago

I found out a few tidbits about Dwayne from Death in Paradise (Danny John-Jules). The man has quite the career!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3796236/danny-john-jules-strictly-come-dancing-red-dwarf-cat/

8 months ago

I love the family dynamic too, Appara!

Spoilers.....

I wasn't sure what hat village was, my first thought was that it was a whole village of robots, and that creeped me out! Was the community built by Kindred for his own purposes? Then, I realised it was empty, where did everyone go? Obviously vacated after "the explosion". Lots of unanswered questions there.

Yes, Piper's smile was offputting, as you say, like she knew more than she was letting on. The fact that she reacted to the turtle, which was an unprogramed response to the situation and did so to save it, shows she is capable of human feelings. It is hard to get a read on what is really going on with her at this point.

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

How funny, Brit. Danny is quite the character, sounds like he is enjoying himself since leaving DIP.

I like your method, Brit, sounds delish. I can't inhale chocolate as I do vanilla custard, so I think I'd prefer the vanilla version. I like your idea about using PF cinnamon raisin bread, it's a dandy product. Sadly, He Who Must Be Obeyed (yeah right) won't get within 30 feet of anything with cream or pudding or cheese - hmmm, how about a swirl of cream cheese in the pudding? - so I'd be eating it all myself. Probably makes a good company dessert, though.

Dearth indeed on PBS - my, but Press is not cutting it. Don't care a flying toss about any of the characters. Contrast that to As Time Goes By reruns, Jean and Lionel moving in together was just shown and it was sweet beyond belief.

8 months ago
soler
expert

dee … just this past Saturday night I watch an ep. of ' As Time Goes By ' … haven't seen an ep. in years ..... and enjoyed all over again , those quick one line responses of Lionel . His humour is low key and so off the cuff it's the corner stone of the show.

8 months ago
soler
expert

Had to check up on Geoffrey Palmer .. wasn't sure if he was still alive .. well he is , 92 years old and according to his IMDB page active until 2014. ( ' As Time Goes By ' 1992 2005 )

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

The one I saw on Saturday, sober, had Lionel moving in. I was surfing past the myriad of garbage on, and stopped to enjoy ATGB all over again. Amazing, the magic that show had.

8 months ago
appara2
guru

This week Press was a little more interesting. I think maybe because I am getting a little more invested in Holly and the gang. Pretty sure that the 'not-accident' that killed her roomie was a one episode thing, and one that also allowed for Ed moving into the spare room. Which in turn I'm pretty sure Ed passed the Herald's headline story on to Mr.Sleazy. So the Herald gets a stop order, and the Post runs a second edition? Whew, now Amina is up in front of the board!
The politician telling Mr.Sleazy to not follow the 'Resonance' story ensured that he will. So was that a warning? or a way of getting the story to air? hmmm.

8 months ago

Deedee, I didn't want to confuse everyone, so I left the detail out, but my version (vanilla) is different than Delia's and much more fun to make. I utilized a recipe my Mom had in her (homemade) cookbook and one from Nigella L. that were similar and worked out a version of my own.

I actually make bread and butter sandwiches, one side I spread softened butter, the other gets a fruited marmalade or something similar. Nigella used a crystalized ginger marmalade in hers which sounds delicious but is difficult to find here in the States. Any fruity jam would really do (or orange marmalade for that matter). I was concerned with the sugar content so I used an unsweetened apple butter. The combination of the cinnamon raisin bread and the apple flavor worked well together. The dish gets buttered, the sandwiches have butter in them and you dot the top crusty parts with butter (and a sprinkling of brown sugar) before baking so there is no need to use butter or a lot of sweetener (of course, some is needed) in the custard. You make the sandwiches, cut them on the diagonal and layer as I explained above and pour the custard over. This version works well for breakfast (with a bit of syrup as it is not too sweet on its' own) as well as for dessert.

I understand about needing help in eating it, that is why I don't make it anymore myself. I use to make it for my Mom... people were in and out of the house pretty regularly, so there was always someone who would warm some up for breakfast or eat it cold for a snack. It never lasted long.

8 months ago

As Time Goes By is on regularly every Saturday night by me. It has been on a continuous loop now for at least three or four years. At this point I check to see what episode is going to be on and watch my favorites. These always include the ones with Rocky and Madge! A few moments of being transported in to a softer, gentler... just lovelier world. It is like a breath of fresh air.

8 months ago

I have been re-watching River. Netflix will be removing it from their lineup in mid-November and I don't think I will have a chance to see it again. Who knows where it will wind up. I am enjoying it as much the second time around. I forgot how "out there" it is! Excellent performances... Nicola is great in this, she just lights up the screen whenever she in on it.

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

Oh how annoying - soler not sober!

Thanks, Brit, I like the way yours sounds.

Oh how I loved River. SO very sad and happy at the same time.

8 months ago

Hee, hee! I saw that and had to smile!

Soler, hot off the press! Deedee, close your eyes!! https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-10-23/first-look-last-tango-in-halifax/

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

Hah! Thanks for the warning, Brit.

8 months ago
soler
expert

No problem dee …. I answer to anything. lol great news Brit .. filming is finally underway. Am curious as to the new cast members , wondering if drunk Judith's character will be back , ( John deserves her ) has gotten more interesting now that she's a successful author. Did I read right , Alan taking a supermarket job ?? Two pension cheques can't be enough …. taking a job from a teenager . lol

8 months ago

Alan taking a supermarket job ?? Two pension cheques can't be enough ….

And, "having moved into a desirable bungalow with stunning views across the Calder Valley"... this does not come cheap, he doesn't need the money - my two cents... he needs time away from Celia. That woman is enough to drive anyone nuts.

8 months ago

Deedee, I finished E4 of River last night... you know I forgot, as it has been awhile since I watched it... I find it quite appalling that River cause the unnecessary death of two individuals because he was so hopped up to find Stevie's killer that he was grabbing at anything in front of him and two of the avenues he went down were totally wrong and led to both deaths.

Spoilers - River.

You don't often see this shown in TV detective series, but mistakes like he made cause people their lives. He was going off without a filter and not really thinking beyond his desire to find the killer. The first guy (though not a nice person by any means) had nothing to do with the murder (he chased him to his death) and the second was totally innocent (he was Stevie's informant and friend) - he brought the force totally down on him with out hard evidence. Yes, he tried to stop them from making the info pubic, but it was too late by then and the real murderer got to him first. We are talking two needless deaths here. And, it seems too easy for all of them ( in the police force) to sweep this under the rug. I have a much different opinion of him this go around than I had the first time I watched. I get that he has issues and is dealing with a lot with Stevie's murder, but that does not excuse his role in both these deaths.

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

Interesting, Brit. I don't remember any of the details. I remember sad and Nicola and seeing her ghost. I've always wanted to see ghosts.

I sometimes don't like re-watching programs I thought I really liked the first time, DCI Banks being a prime example. I don't think I'll watch this one!

My, my, I am finding Press is so very underwhelming.

Some on DS recommended When They See Us, about the arrest of the Central Park Five, as comparable too Unbelievable. But, um, no.

I am finding PBS with their interminable pitching - I thought one of the stations said they were cutting it out altogether? - to be quite annoying, and of course regular, even pay, cable has long been a vast wasteland.

8 months ago

Some on DS recommended When They See Us, about the arrest of the Central Park Five, as comparable too Unbelievable. But, um, no.

Yep, totally agree.

I finished River last night, the ending was very well done. Sad though, it was a real twist... they built the story around Stevie's (Nicola) relationship with River and that is how they ended it.

I feel the same way about most series I really like as well Deedee, I stay away from re-watching them as they don't necessarily improve or "get me" the same way upon second viewing. Some do, like Vera and Wallander and Maigret.

I was much more lukewarm about the River character this go around, Nicola was fabulous in the role, but for me, his flaws were much more apparent and I had little empathy for him.

8 months ago

I have not gotten to the new episode of Emergence as yet, or the Durrell's for that matter. Will be viewing both within the next few days. I have been watching Delia's cookery shows on the 'Tube of late. This woman is a British institution. I had no idea. I would not make most of her recipes - I don't find them to be to my taste generally or I have my own version which I prefer (although her Sunday lunch I posted above sounds scrumptious) yet, I find her enjoyable to watch.

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, did you see Chernobyl? That has been recommended on DS as well.

I agree on Vera.

8 months ago
appara2
guru

Dee, If that is the Chernobyl that aired on HBO this spring, it was intense. Mostly based on facts, it was horrifying to watch the events unfold.

Brit, Margo is easily becoming my favorite character this season! Her AgathaChristie train trip home was easily the best part of this episode.
I am losing all respect for both Spiros and Louisa (the kitchen/baking scenes) And what the heck was she thinking dropping in on Dimitra...
The chaos surrounding the Kings visit was entertaining, and again I felt sorry for poor Leslie. That boy has no people skills!
Also, my PBS is airing a special 'What The Durrells Did Next' airing on Nov 10th, about the real life Durrells

8 months ago
soler
expert

Emergence still has the power to keep me coming back . Had last ep. in DVR and watched it last night. That terrorist looking guy that tried to kill that reporter looks like he's on a mission to clean things up , wonder what connection he has with the old guy Piper had a talk with after she went thru that ' Stephen King ' door . ' Ed trying to keep his cancer reamergence a secret for now but Piper knows and wonders when he's gonna tell the others and what's with that blue drink she had Ed take … is that some kind of out of this world cure.? Still confused about Piper … some things she seems aware of ( like Ed 's health ) and other things she seems to be puzzled by. Oh well .. this is what keeps me coming back lol … try to explain that car almost crushed by that tanker … try to explain that to Mia .. if ya can Piper. There all starting ta see that Piper is not entirely of this world. Will be back for more .

8 months ago

Oh no, she didn't!!!

Watched the Durrell's last night, I can not believe it, because yes she did. Louisa (and Larry) told Spiros that his wife had been cheating on him with Basil. I can not believe she would do that, and under the pretense that she and Larry needed to be honest with Spiros. No, no, you do not... you needed to keep your mouth shut and say nothing.

You know what gets me, she and Spiros walk around holier than thou because they have "done nothing" when what they have done is actually much worst than anything his wife and Basil did. Spiros and Louisa fell in love, they have an emotional bond, he is living in her house and they play footsie every chance they get. The moment he fell in love with Louisa he doomed his marriage - one can not help who one falls in love with, but don't take the high and mighty road (Louisa included) as if you are both not complicit in this situation. Ghastly to tell on someone else, particularly when you are up to your eyeballs in guilt yourself.

The sad thing is that Basil cares for "that peach of a woman" Dimitra and appreciates her. In another world he would have her in his life and Louisa would have her Spiros. But they are living in Greece before the onslaught of WWII and that was never going to happen. Pity, really.

Agree Appara, Margo has been the breakout star of this season. She has come in to her own by just being herself. Wonderful to see. That was a great train ride and she now has a new boyfriend to boot! You go, Margo!

8 months ago

I have Emergence in my DVR and will be watching tonight, Soler!

8 months ago
appara2
guru

Brit, I'm not sure if that was an attempt to put another wedge in the marriage, or, simply that Basil was safely gone back to Britain, so it was 'safe' to tell? Either way, no respect!
I am looking forward to the final episode next week, I wonder if Larry will make his way home too?

8 months ago
soler
expert

have Emergence in my DVR and will be watching tonight, Soler!

whoops …. sorry Brit for giving so much away .

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

Dee, If that is the Chernobyl that aired on HBO this spring, it was intense. Mostly based on facts, it was horrifying to watch the events unfold.

app ara, horrifying doesn't begin to describe it. Like Unbelievable, I was hooked immediately. I am parsing it out, since there are only 5 episodes. I completely believe that of a government, to hide something as catastrophic as that.

More horrifying? Someone on DS shared that the scientist is Richard Harris's SON! He of MacArthur's Park and the stupid melting cake in the park! His son is 58 y/o. Holy moley, am I OLD! He is very good in the part, as is Stellan.

8 months ago

No problem Soler, I glanced through your comment knowing I was going to view the episode tonight. Just finished and I came back to give it a good read. This show gets better and better. Kindred has become the focus now, he is driving the story. Where does Piper go when she enters the door? Obviously we see her speaking to Kindred in the art gallery... but how? Can she (mentally) be in two places at one time? So much that is yet unknown. Can't wait till next week!

I actually think the blue drink was a simple flavored electrolyte product like Gatorade. This is what throws the audience off, she does these incredible things (like stopping a mega ton truck from falling on them) and yet makes a very normal child-like assumption that if Jo gave her and the reporter that to drink to make them better, it would also help with Ed's cancer.

8 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.