TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments

Sad, sad news. I can listen to the Morse theme over and over... he was a brilliant composer and will be greatly missed.

9 months ago
appara2
guru

A bit of trivia from one of the obits in the comments:

"He became known for hiding clues and red herrings in the score for the TV show, occasionally revealing the killer's identity in morse code."

"The hypnotic tile song also included a motif based on the letters M.O.R.S.E."

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

Wow, soler, how awful. I remember John Thaw dying at the much too young age of 60, 65 is just a stone's throw. How awful.

9 months ago
soler
expert

Yeah dee … both going at young age or what I call a young age lol. Have never heard the Morse Theme sung by a choir . WOW … is what I can say about that .I go back and forth between the choir version and the instrumental ..….. can't decide which one I'd choose as better but that choir version just sends chills through ya …… especially when the boys vocals shoot up over the deeper tones of the young men .

9 months ago

I am partial to the instrumental version... gets me every time I hear it.

9 months ago
appara2
guru

Well, Saint-Marie's police solved their final murder of S8, but I see that IMDB has opened spots for S9 &S10!
I was a bit worried when Jack boarded the ferry that we were going to have Madelaine move up into the DI spot. And poor Ruby, cursed by the card! I knew as soon as I saw it that she was going ass over teakettle into that dumpster! LOL

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

I see that IMDB has opened spots for S9 &S10!

Thanks, appar a , glad to read this. I don't buy that he swan that far in his physical shape, but that's okay. I find it a comfortable show, so I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

9 months ago

I think Alastair and I are the only Jane Austen fans here, so this may not be of interest to you all, but I am very happy to have this to look forward to in 2020.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/specialfeatures/jane-austens-unfinished-final-novel-sanditon-comes-to-masterpiece/

9 months ago

At the moment Appara2, I am not warming up to Madeleine, nothing new there as it always takes me time to accept a change in characters. Hopefully, as has been the case with everyone else, she will grow on me with time.

Deedee, I know you have Fios, not Xfinity as I do, but check and see if EPIX is currently having a free trial week for you. They are with Xfinity and though there is not much of interest in their inventory, they do have The Bookshop, with Emily Mortimer and Bill Nighy available for viewing. I haven't seen it yet, but it looks to be quite good, you may want to check it out.

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

Thank you Brit. In my inimitable wisdom, I had deleted the channel when FIOS shoved all the channels down my throat. And voila, there was EPIX. I can use a little Nighy right now, thank you my friends.

9 months ago

I watched the finale of Grantchester, wasn't planning to, but it was on when I turned on the TV and curiosity got to me. All the outstanding storylines were tied up, which is a good thing because next season they need to move on from the transitional mire the series is in. Will is as interesting as watching paint dry. I did not watch the penultimate episode with his family issues and despicable father (although I do usually love watching Nathaniel Parker). This series seems to be froth with trials and tribulations, the investigations are coming up last in the line of priorities. Deedee, I know you are not his fan in this, but I have to admit the truth, I think I have a small crush on Mr. Green. It is the reason I tuned in and most likely the reason I will (once again) watch the beginning of the next season. I know, I have no substance or willpower.

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

That's okay, Brit. I liked Greem a lot back in the day. Spot on with the new guy.

Parker didn't age well, and chewed the scenery. Truth be told, I can't even remember his death.

If I tune in again, it will be to see Leonard be 'allowed' the presence of his husband on the premises. If I were he, I would have told Mrs. C to stuff her hat in a sack.

Much too long spent on Snidely Whiplash, good riddance to that storyline.

Ah well, it's something to watch and better than nothing.

9 months ago
appara2
guru

Oh my Deedee!!, that comment took me by surprise!! Snidely Whiplash! I remember him appearing occasionally on my Saturday mornin' TV watching days!! Don't tell me he's still tying women to the tracks? LOL

9 months ago

Yes, Deedee, that is a great analogy and I do so agree... good riddance. We certainly are going back Appara2 with that one!

I too winced at Mrs. C.'s request. Leonard is so badly in need of getting his life back on track that he had to accept her condition even though we all know it to be a cruel one. One step at a time, let us hope she comes to be more understanding of what the term love truly means.

It is a rainy day and I am watching Seven Years in Tibet on Ovation. Good movie for a lazy afternoon and a dose of Brad Pitt never hurts.

Deedee, what did you think of The Bookshop? I was underwhelmed, I found the script to be lazy and the story predictable. Like we didn't know with the shot of that figurine in front of Patricia Clarkson's character for a full two minutes that she was going to pick it up and throw it. I was never a fan and this movie did not change my mind. She is looking rather well, I will say. She does enough to keep looking fresh without going over board. That is the best I can say. To me, she is one of the most overrated actors of our times. IMDB calls her "remarkable" in their bio. I don't see it, there are so many more in the front of her, but each to their own.

Now if we are talking about sublime, Bill Nighy stole every scene he was in. The best scene of the movie was the one with he and Florence when he tells her (in so many words) that he loves her. It was exceptional.

It wasn't a bad movie, it just did not live up to its' potential.

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

You remember him, app ara and Brit? Dastardly, wasn't he? That's what the store guy reminded me of, no one would come forward or do anything. It no doubt was that bad back then, but I didn't need to see quite so much of it. And our Mrs. C to the rescue, she who won't allow Leonard's husband in the house? Come on. I'm not big on one step at a time, Brit.

Oh, and imagine we made it out of childhood, feminists to boot, with the likes of Snidely Whiplash and Dishonest John and Boris Badanov on our teevee screens. Then again, there was Natasha to emulate.

Didn't get to see The Bookshop yet, Brit. Had to leave the house for awhile, too many ghosts of Ricky, and this place doesn't have Epix. Will do when I get back in awhile.

This place has Xfinity/Comcast and if you have the choice? DO NOT get it. Hah, I thought Verizon was bad. I 'just' figured out how to use the Fire stick with Comcast, so at least I can tune in to more than the occasional PBS show.

9 months ago
alastair
expert

Brit, me too! You know if Andrew Davies is adapting Sandition, it's going to be good. Can't wait!

9 months ago
alastair
expert

Oops, make that Sanditon..

9 months ago

Deedee, we are thinking of you...

Don't give up on Xfinity yet. I have had it for years and I am very pleased. In fact, I love it. I do have Netflix directly through them which makes it simple and they have a great On Demand and DVR service. I use Chromecast for Acorn TV and thankfully do not have any issues. I did back in the day, but that was Acorn's issue not Xfinity. I have never tried to use a Fire Stick, so I don't know what that entails. Yet, if you need general help, I am here.

Alastair
, I agree, with Andrew Davies at the helm, Sanditon should be a home run.

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

Nice, thank you Brit. Couldn't get that link to work, this is it right?

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2019-08-20/best-tv-shows-2020/

VERY nice to see Unforgotten, good to see Dawn French, lots of pretty people, only one old woman featured prominently no surprise, Cold Feet has been on the air all this time?, and so glad to see Unforgotten. And okay, if you twist my arm, even Death in Paradise and Endeavour.

9 months ago
soler
expert

Good read Brit ... my eyes immediately went to the Last Tango articles. 4 new eps. to begin filming this summer . ( I think I read it will begin filming this summer lol ) All the main actors are returning according to SW . No small feat that , as Walker and Lancashire have very busy schedules . Did not say but I hope John ( Tony Gardner ) that irritating son - in- law returns along with his alcoholic and equally irritating girl friend Judith ( Ronni Ancona ) . Throw in another season of Happy Valley while you're at it Sally . lol Another good show. Ohh , and of course give us more Unforgotten .... Soooo , back at you're writing desk SW .

9 months ago

Yes, we are going to have plenty to watch moving forward. I was delighted to see that we will still be going strong the next year or so. There is something for everyone in that list.

Last night I checked Acorn TV to see if there was anything new of interest and they were featuring Poirot's "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" feature length movie. I don't think they generally have this, they seem to only have rights to episodes in the later years - and not all at those as much has moved to Britbox. I can't remember when I last watched this one. It was not among the first episodes, they were the shorter versions of the stories originally shown on PBS, although "Style" actually was the story where Poriot and Hastings first met. It was the first longer "movie" episodes which became the norm for the series after that.

I watched half and plan to finish the rest tonight. My goodness how young everyone was. When I think of Poirot now, I generally see him as Suchet's older self... here, there was not a line on his face, he was slim and quite energetic for our dashing detective! What a pleasure to see him, a young Hastings and Inspector Japp. Hastings was very involved in this case as he was close to the Cavendish family and brought Poirot in to the investigation.

Unfortunately, in later years Hugh Frazer was given five lines an episode (if that), mostly to exclaim egads! or something similar before he, Japp and Miss Lemon were completely dropped from Poirot's world.

9 months ago

continued...

What I found interesting is that Poirot worked more as a typical detective would in this episode. There was no discussion (as yet) of his little grey cells, he brought a detective tool kit with him (which Hastings carried) and we see him use it to collect evidence. This is probably the first and last time we ever saw him do this. He was more externally deductive in solving the case, we see him work through the investigation and as an audience we work through it alongside him. In later years, he relied more heavily on his "little grey cells" and most of his work was internal, we were privy to much less of his thought process.

I am glad I decided to take a look back in time because there is so much that was done right in those beginning years, especially when they did move to the longer versions and we got more in-depth stories. I am thinking of "Evil Under the Sun" and "Peril At End House" which were also iconic movie length episodes that were superbly made.

9 months ago

I have said this before, and it hit me again as I watched the episode. I know that Mathew Prichard did his grandmother little service when he took over the helm form his mother, but I have to say the truth, it is David Suchet himself who is to blame for much of the change in the focus of the series that ultimately made it lose its' heart. Suchet made it his vehicle, he directed where the character was going as he grew with age, and based on the pretense that this was the "character" Christie wrote (as he got older) he turned the series inward. It ultimately was all about him and Poirot's internal battle with religion, old age and his loneliness.

Believe me, if Suchet did not choose to go down that path, it never would have happened. Mathew Prichard did not have that much power (or cared that much) to have made that happen. If he did care, he would have kept things as they were under his mother's tutelage. It was "all about the
benjamins" for Prichard, so Suchet had carte blanche to do as he liked with the character as long as the money kept flowing.

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

Well said, Brit. I truly think that is when Poirot - and Suchet, now that you mention it - went 'round the bend, when he decided, for some reason, to focus on religion. Nothing compares to the horror of Orient Express - it was Orient Express wasn't it? - when Poirot was made a raving maniac about religion?

I'll have to look for MAAS on Britbox. I have to admit I am just channel surfing with Xfinity, even though I have a fire stick. My heart just isn't in it right now.

You are right, there is much for all of us in 2020, thankfully.

9 months ago

Yes, Deedee, MOTOE was where the religious aspect became the focus of Suchet's Poirot. Funny thing, I don't remember that being his focus in the book. I have said this before... Poirot had made a similar decision in "The Chocolate Box" previous to MOTOE, and it was not full of religious angst. And, Suchet did not portray it that way either in the TV version. That whole religious drama in MOTOE was of Suchet's making, it did not come from Christie. I have read the books, was religion mentioned, yes... did religion become a quandary for him... no. The truth is, Suchet just wanted to beat his chest and heighten the drama.

As you say, Suchet went 'round the bend with MOTOE, but the change in the character and the stories started before it. At some point the role got to Suchet's head. It became more Suchet's vehicle to express himself than the collaborative effort it originally started as.

9 months ago

As a follow-up to my previous comment, Poirot did mention his "little grey cells" in the second part of the story. It was not with the emphasis he usually gave it in later years. If you have a chance to re-watch this episode I would give it a go. So nice to reflect back on softer (and sweeter) times with our dear friend.

The pilot episode (shown in two parts) of "Murder She Wrote" was aired last night - The Murder of Sherlock Holmes. I couldn't remember if I ever watched the pilot, so I decided to give it a go. One thing about that show, it brings back fond memories of so many actors I remember from my youth. This one had Brian Keith, Ned Beatty, Bert Convy, Anne Francis and Dennis Patrick. I was interested in figuring out how old Angela Lansbury was when she first started the series. Ms. Lansbury had an ageless look for many years, she aged so beautifully, most of the time you were left guessing if she was really growing older! Well, she was 59 when she first took on the role. Fifty-nine! Just proves that it is never to late to move in to a new direction or reinvent yourself.

She was a sort-after actress of stage and screen and embarks on a new role that became one of the vehicles that she is most known for. The series lasted from 1984-1996, with a few stand-alone TV movies done up to 2001 at the age of 75 years. Gives me hope, gives us all hope, that we can embark on a new endeavor (and succeed) regardless of how many years are behind us.

9 months ago

I have been watching my guilty pleasure "Still Open All Hours" which is now in its' fifth season. Last season ended with a few good episodes (given that we all accept that this is generally so bad that it makes you wince). I had high hopes that things may continued in this vein, but my hopes were dashed. This season has been awful, just awful. They have all given up, no one is even "trying to try" anymore. David Jason is there for the retirement paycheck (as they all are). I am probably their only last holdout and even I am throwing up my hands.

9 months ago
appara2
guru

*lurking in the shadows* nothing to add, just keeping tabs on 'yall

9 months ago
soler
expert

Brit ... have watched bits of it from time to time. But just couldn't stick with it ... found it so dull . Remember watching eps. with Stephanie Cole in them. Thought it helped the show a bit. David Jason was so good as Frost , pity . lurk to you're hearts content appara2 . lol

9 months ago

Soler, I totally understand... as dull as dishwater and as silly as can be... and (even though) there I sit in front of the TV. I can't help myself. It is obvious, this series is funding David Jason's retirement, that is the sole purpose for him.

9 months ago
deedee713
guru

I watched SOAH for a few minutes a long time ago and was embarrassed for Jason. But hey, he is doing what he has to do, and I am not the barometer of good shows, so to each his own. Hey Brit, for some reason, I like Ardal Hanlon in DIP, so go figure!

Jump in anytime appara, the water's fine! While we have this forum where we're - shhhhh - pretty much left to our own, especially.

9 months ago

I remind myself that English actors do not make the big payouts that American actors do. Just because they had successful careers, or a hit series (or two) through the years doesn't necessarily mean they can sit out their later years comfortably without taking on work as it comes available to them. I have mentioned this several times before, Peter Bowles said how disappointed he was that the 25th anniversary episode of "To The Manor Born" was not a great hit as he was hoping to fund his retirement with another series or two, much as David Jason is doing with SOAH. Personally, I would have loved to see to see another series of To The Manor Born as I enjoyed the anniversary special. The best part is that the three main characters... Richard, Audrey, and Majory all took part. It was far superior to what we are getting with SOAH, I'll tell you that.

Penelope Keith has continually kept working, she always seems to be narrating a new series - towns, villages, seasides, royal houses - she does it all. She has found a very good niche for herself, most of her contemporaries do not have such steady work.

Deedee, I like Ardal as well, and believe me, I thought he was so bad at first. It took a little bit, but he has gelled with the series nicely. DI Jack Mooney is a good hearted man with a quirkiness that makes him endearing much as Kris Marshall did.

9 months ago
enquireus12

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

9 months ago

I watched another oldie (and goodie). Joan Hickson's "Body in the Library". It is available in three parts on The 'Tube - video is from blu-ray - so it is crystal clear. This is one of Hickson's best, along with "Sleeping Murder", "At Bertram's Hotel" and "A Murder is Announced". Love Gwen Watford's portrayal of Dolly Bantry.

I streamed it on my Chromecast to the tv and watched it over three consecutive nights. It was great.

8 months ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit …. when ya want ' pure ' Marple .. ya gotta go with Joan Hickson . Have a BBC Video release of some Hickson Marples Remastered on DVD. Last one I watched was ' A Murder is Announced ' back last spring. Ready for another one in a month or so . Think I will choose ' The Body in the Library '. LOL Haven't seen it for awhile. Remember after I watched Murder is Announced I went to the IMDB page to see who was no longer with us , after all these shows go back to the 80's.

8 months ago

Hey Soler, everything okay by you? I read this...

"The storm's (Dorian) estimated maximum sustained winds were 100 mph (155 km/h) when it made landfall 15 miles (25 km) south of Halifax, according to the National Hurricane Center. It is moving northeast at 30 mph."

8 months ago
appara2
guru

I have a few friends over on the East Coast of Canada that got hit, news says lots of homes (350thousand ) have no power as of yet. They are working to restore services

8 months ago

Thanks for letting me know, Appara!

8 months ago
soler
expert

Finally back on line Brit …… got quite a kick from Dorion . However , I timed it right on Saturday and got my Midsomer in ( started earlier than usual ) before contact time . Really was not an enjoyable view as the wind and rain kept increasing . Lost power Sat. supper time , got it back supper time today. Been thru worse , the last one we had , had deaths. This one no deaths so that's good. At the height 400 thou had no power , now it's down to 200 … heard their bringing in crews from Maine and N.B. to help . Think I'll move to Alabama , love them imaginary hurricanes . LOL

8 months ago

Think I'll move to Alabama, love them imaginary hurricanes. LOL

You win the prize… priceless!!! So glad to hear from you! Thankfully, Appara2 let us know that the power was down by you. I was concerned when I read the report... I had no idea that it was headed your way - all we heard about (here) was it was coming for Alabama! :) Dear Lord, we are living in a sharpie world of craziness these days. In all seriousness, thank goodness that everyone came out of it alive and that your power has been restored. Take care, my friend!

8 months ago
appara2
guru

Soler it's great to hear that all is good with you after the storm.
Here, we heard mostly about the crane that was parked in 'safe' mode that still came crashing down.
Hope the rest of the cleanup goes smoothly for y'all

8 months ago
soler
expert

Yes appara2 ... that crane is getting a lot of attention .. don't know how ya put a crane in ' safe mode ' but that's what the construction company is saying they did . About 80 people moved out of their abodes . Haven't seen the crane but I guess it's still on top of a building and is unstable .... talk now is how to get down. Nobody got hurt .... but how do you get a crane off a building ?????? LOL

8 months ago
deedee713
guru

Glad you are okay, soler. Very scary stuff. The reports were all OVER the place. Glad everyone is okay.

I'll never forget the bargain we got on our first cruise to Bermuda. In September. At the height of hurricane season. About which we were clueless! When we got to NY harbor they were banging out a HUGE dent in the ship from the storms. It was a fun trip, I used the things on the wrists and Dramamine. Made it though, and I now know NOT to cruise in September!

Interesting rerun on late night television. Season finale of Endeavour when George Fancy was killed. WHAT a different show. The season after that was pure dreck.

Fun news on Father Brown. Alex Price, Nancy Carroll, and Hugo Speer are coming back! Besides the next season, it's been renewed through 2021!

8 months ago

Deedee, I was surprised to read that "Father Brown" is a daytime program over in the UK along with "Shakespeare & Hathaway" which has also been renewed. I guess you can watch while having your afternoon cup of team which actually is a nice break. I remember I use to occasionally watch "Midsomer" with my Mom at that lull in the afternoon right before dinner. If we didn't finish the episode we would have a dinner break and get back to it right after. Fond memories.

8 months ago

I read an article which lists the new shows debuting this month. There actually is some interesting ones - I haven't watched an American TV series in so long, but my interest has been piqued.

"Emergence" is a mystery series that tells the story of a cop who finds a child with amnesia at an accident scene, which leads to a conspiracy unfolding. It will be shown on ABC on September 24th. A law firm drama "Bluff City Law" is on NBC, starring Jimmy Smits. This debuts on September 23rd.

"Stumptown" is a new series based on the novels of the same name. The stories are about a female private investigator in Portland, Oregon who becomes a PI to pay off gambling debts and support her disabled brother. I don't know if it will be any good in the long run, but you have to watch the trailer for it. Good stuff. Debuts September 25th on ABC.

And the last, "Perfect Harmony" with Bradley Whitford as a Ivy League music professor who becomes a small town church choir director. I remember him from the "West Wing"... he looks like Josh's father now. I need a nice, light show to watch to balance the strong stuff. We will see if this is it. NBC on September 26th.

8 months ago
mikeokiro

i saw the trailer of Stumptown and its quite interesting. thanks for suggesting :-)

8 months ago
sunlights

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

8 months ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.