TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
guru
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments

Was ready to turn it off after 20 minutes but suffered through to the end because I wanted to see how they'd resolve it.
Unfortunately, this was only part 1 of 2. I may watch next week's last 10 minutes to see how it ends.
What annoys me most is that the potential victims are unusually stupid and careless and mostly women, wandering around dark houses, driving at night, leaving doors open and calling 'hello?, 'hello? Nobody has a weapon except the criminal.
By the end of the first trial the defense team should have known they were dealing with a psychopath. The stolen ID defense was laughable and never investigated or validated.
The perp should have killed the lawyers.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

THREE, starfish, it's a three part mini series, can you imagine?

You said it. SPOILER

AFTER being surprised in the tub by the creep at the window, what would be the first thing YOU would do? Of course, LEAVE YOUR WIFE AND KID so that they can go back to the house, ALONE, without any protection after having had a run-in with a psychopath.

Yup. An example of modern television, I'm afraid, all prurient and dumb and violent and gory. I thought this was a specialty of American television, looks like it's infected even Masterpiece Mystery! now, home of Frost and Poirot and Morse. I guess MM is now no more Masterpiece than Arts and Entertainment is Arts or Entertainment. Sad, ain't it?

Oh, and yes, not only is the stupid housewife stupid, but the stupid woman lawyer is even stupid. Boy, anyone watching this would conclude that women are stupid, dontcha think? I'm guessing that the writers are men.

However, read ahead on Wikipedia, you might like the ending. Violent? But of course.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Gee, how did I know?

Series Directed by Brian Welsh ... (3 episodes, 2013) Series Writing Credits David Wolstencroft ... (3 episodes, 2013)

7 years ago

Deedee and Starfish, I did not even go near The Escape Artist. I had read some comments and many said that it was more a horror story than the type of mystery that you would expect to find on Masterpiece Mystery. I know I would have not made it through the first 10 minutes, so I did not try. I see from both of your comments I did the correct thing. I will wait for Endeavour to be aired. That, I am happily anticipating.

Carla, I have re-watched the episode of New Tricks (Magic Majestic) that starred Sam Kelly – I had forgotten the story, so it was with anticipation and real pleasure that I did so. It was very good… for a minute, when Dennis W. and Sam were in the scene together where Gerry talks about Sam’s character being a chauffeur to his brother it was Tony and Sam... Sam’s response to Gerry, the look on his face, it was all Sam Jones. A very nice moment.

Next, I watched the Midsomer Murders episode (Down Among the Dead) that starred Sam, Julia McKenzie and Paul Freeman (what a cast!) – I have been re-watching the Jason Hughes episodes I own and I saw this one about six months, or so, ago. Not to matter, because this is one of my top favorite Midsomer Murders episodes – it was a joy to see again.

I know you are not on FB, but Sam Kelly does have a FB page and I stopped by to visit... what a lovely, lovely man. As sweet as you can imagine him to be. Such a loss, I am so sad he had to leave us.

7 years ago

BTW, Starfish, the story of the trip in England driving in the Austin-Healy sounds like a very interesting one... the adventures of youth - I say no more!

7 years ago

Brit, you said it all ! :)

Dee, I'll follow your lead and check out the ending of Escape Artist on Wikipedia. No sense wasting more time.
Looking forward to Endeavor. I have not yet seen any of those episodes, but I know it will be at least watchable and more.

7 years ago
soler
guru

Had this in my DVR so watched it last night . What do I think , not much . Prefered SILK from last year but I guess that's long gone . Had zero sympathy for Tennant's character . This smart mouthed lawyer got a psycho killers off with his slick court BS performance , walked out of court and gave no consideration or empathy to the family of the victim , only to have this same psycho kill a member of his own family ( or so it seems ) since this is a two parter who knows if he proves to be the killer or not. Just shows how low I've fallin' , ( lol ) to DVR this after the glory days of Frost and Morse and such . Anybody catch Commander Adam Dalgliesh , Roy Marsden in this . Glad to see he lost that stupid hair piece he used to wear. Will watch second part , just to complete it but think Endeavour will be more rewarding.
PS at least Tennant is not using ' his Calif. accent ' ha ha

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Agree, soler. Exactly what I thought, Alan Cumming can tweak his eyebrow, but the masterpiece has gone out of the mystery.

I know! Marsden has aged, but who hasn't - I like him better without his rug too.

Bad news - it's three parts (can you imagine?); good news, I'm sure Endeavour will be much better.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I have Escape Artist on my DVR too thinking I'd record it just in case the reviews on here were good. The whole slimy lawyer thing doesn't appeal to me, so this one will be a delete before watching. Agree with you all, Endeavour is the show I am really looking forward to seeing. In preparation, I saw all of the Endeavour episodes within the last three months, and now I am watching Morse from the beginning again. Now matter how many times I see Morse, I always pick up something new each time. It's such a good show, but then, I'm preaching to the choir, aren't I? And Endeavour does Morse proud.

Brit, I'm looking forward to Magic Majestic, and I'll be on the lookout for that look between Sam and Gerry that you wrote about. It still seems unreal that he's gone, especially since by today's standard, he was young.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

And Endeavour does Morse proud.

It does, carla. Roger Allam is wonderful - it's a show I'd like to see go on and on.

I don't know Sam Kelly but 70 is much, MUCH too young - as was Thaw at 60.

My wish - that every single UK show I've never seen with all the actors whose names I don't know would take over PBS programs until they are depleted. And I'm guessing that would be years and years and years hence. If only the PBS programming idiots who think violent horrid shows like The Escape Artist are worthwhile because they are new are preferable to old UK shows that we in the US have never seen would be fired and I would be in charge of programming, well - pigs would fly.

So who was one of the murder victims in last night's Scott and Bailey? Why, that was Mrs. Bale from As Time Goes By! Her name? No idea, had to look it up - Janet Henfrey.

Yes, Rachel is still an idiot.

7 years ago

Roger Allam is wonderful - it's a show I'd like to see go on and on.

He is the best part of the series for me. If Shaun Evan's ever decides to throw in the towel on Endeavor I hope they give Roger Allam his own series based on the Thursday character. I would be among the first in line to watch.

7 years ago
soler
guru

six weeks six weeeeeeks
Yes, Rachel is still an idiot.
dee I get my S&B on Saturday nights. Read this article on the actress who plays Rachel . Maybe real life girl has more Rachel in her than one might think .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2637168/Suranne-Jones-engaged-marry-man-ten-years-senior.html
maybe nothin' wrong with it . lol

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Oh my no, soler, nothing whatever wrong with it! Good on her, and hoo boy, can she adopt many different looks! I would love to see her other shows, but PBS knows nothing but D/A.

No, her character Rachel...........SPOILER

allows her brother to escape after he kills her lover who was a POG whom she kept chasing and when he is captured he tries to place the blame on her and she, of course, gets away with everything. Meanwhile, in the midst of all this sturm und drang, she accepts the proposal of her boyfriend whom she REALLY didn't love, because her life was a bucket of youknowwhat, and ONE DAY AFTER HER WEDDING (hasty, of course) she decides she shouldn't have gotten married and wants to be divorced.

Every bit of her relationship of the wasted screen time with Rupert Graves (good choice to get murdered) screamed WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU GIRL, hence the appelation of idiot by moi.

Fascinating article, thanks!

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Roger Allam is my favorite from Endeavour too. Although Evans is good in the role of Morse, there is something about Allam in the role of Thursday that makes the show special. I said earlier that I was watching all of Inspector Morse from the beginning again, but I should have added that this time I will stop with Death is Now My Neighbour. This was the last episode before Morse became ill and as an extra bonus, Roger Allam has a large role in the episode. He isn't Thursday, but I like his character here. I wish they had stopped the series here.

7 years ago
soler
guru

Yes Carla can't beat ol' Thursday for dependability and a solid presence in the background who's got the somewhat impetuous Morse's back . Impetuous because he knows he's right and bulls ahead . Morse needs a steady hand like Thursday especially with that treacherous little twerp Chief Superintendent Bright always hovering and will hang Morse at the slightest breach of procedure not being followed. Love to hate him , lol .
Frost had Mullett ( fusspot ) , Morse had Chief Superintendent Strange ( mother hen type ) Poirot has Japp ( although not his boss ) Each was good in there own way and the shows would not be the same without them .
Strange to Morse about his drinking , " Morse am I going to have to smell you're breath every morning ".

7 years ago

Soler, you may have already found this, just in case you haven't, I came across the Charters and Caldicott TV series during one of my travels on The 'Tube and I remember you were looking for it way back when.

The picture quality is far from great, but if you can get past it, there is a lot to view. I have been half watching and mostly listening to the stories and I am enjoying them. Wish they had put the series on DVD so we could see it properly.

It was another time and place for mystery stories, one that I appreciate. The original PBS Mystery intro was the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldSmbUj0PoE&list=PLlZm75oytJBxsgL51tK5o5qOsEk0Kb_cI

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks for the blast from the past, Brit. 1985, when mysteries were mysteries.

Speaking of non-mysteries, I was wrong about there being 3 parts to the ugly and violent Escape Artist. This Sunday is the last installment, obviously they smooshed the last two episodes together as they are wont to do, and in this case, I don't even mind.

Brings us closer to Endeavour.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, I love to hate Bright too. He's such a good target. I'm finding that watching Endeavour is making me see the original Morse episodes a little differently. For instance, since watching how Morse and Strange met, I'm much more interested in their relationship now. It's cool when a new show makes you see something new in a favorite old show.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Actually, carla, I find it scarce as hen's teeth when a prequel is made as well as Endeavour. I liked them showing how queasy Morse was first time he met the doc and his first corpse.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Rosemary and Thyme and a PSA:

I am a gardener and love to weed and love R&T. If you do too, read this:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

Scary, no?

The stuff you remember from R&T!

7 years ago
soler
guru

Great find Brit ...... I have gone into You tube a few times looking for any sign of C&C but found none. A great old mystery from 1985. I taped this on VHS back when it was broadcast ( $#@% almost 30 years ago , TELL ME MY MATH IS WRONG lol ) and a number of years later transferred it from VHS to DVD . but quality is not good but watchable. Enjoyed reading viewer comments below video , other people have been looking for this series as well I see.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Sad news, Sherlock fans - Mark Gatiss has confirmed it'll be at least another two years until the next series.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/sherlock-series-4-mark-gatiss-3479192#ixzz35Rf0NZzI

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Wow. Good thing Sherlock doesn't have the usual audience of say, Big Bang Theory, whose attention span is that of a gnat. As it is, that's a long time to stay loyal. There wasn't a cliffhanger, was there?

soler, I'm curious what you thought of the finale of The Escape Artist. As expected, it was bollocks. I won't go into much more of the convoluted steaming mess it was.

I have a question: WHAT exactly was the guy's motive? Did I miss something, soler? Did he have priors before the first murder and the reason for that escapes me right now. He killed the wife because the HUSBAND wouldn't shake HANDS with him? Do I have that right?

This was a head shaker, for sure. Tennant actually talks about the role somewhere, I'll try to find it, as if he were proud of it. How sad.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

I'm assuming he talks proudly about it, I don't even want to listen to it:

http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2014/06/usa-video-david-tennant-talks-about-his.html

More than you want to read:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/escapeartist/tennant

This guy wasn't impressed either, and puts the watch-ability of these programs by yuks like me to their Britishness. He's got a point:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tv/pbss-the-escape-artist-when-blandness-is-the-perfect-defense/2014/06/12/f6181484-eff6-11e3-914c-1fbd0614e2d4_story.html

7 years ago

Regarding The Escape Artist, I watched the Musketeers on BBCAM instead.
I must say, I really enjoyed it! Authentic costumes and scenery, some very handsome men and smart dialogue.
There is a fair amount of swashbuckling and humorous repartee without being silly or stretching credulity. Paris in the 17th century was no day at the beach, but it will hold your attention.

You may want to give it a try. It is on again next Sunday.

7 years ago
soler
guru

dee ........ got Artist part 2 in my DVR ...... will view tonight hopefully.

7 years ago

Mark Gatiss is busy himself this summer playing Major Benjy in the new Mapp & Lucia series which is currently in production in Rye, UK (also know as Tilling).

7 years ago
soler
guru

Well dee ..... must say from right off the mark I had zero sympathy for Will Burton ( Tennant ) and towards the end when Maggie ( black lawyer ) was closing in on Burton as she related to him how she knew he had murdered the psycho , I was cheering for her , only to be deflated when he informed her the psycho's body had been cremated , so she couldn't prove her theory. ( which was bang on ) . As I had stated before , at the series opener , he got the psycho off a sensational murder , without any empathy to the victims family ( just doin' his job is the way he looked at it ) .
Found it a bit choppy at times , you asked what the psychos motive was for killing Burton's wife and I couldn't find it. The hand shake seems to have a bit of significance as the camera homed in on Foyle shaking Maggie's hand , or Maggie accepting the hand shake but it does not expand on this.
You were right the first time dee, it originally was a 3 parter. Remember those discussions we would have back on the PBS and A&E board about Masterpiece shaving bits off a series to shoe horn it into a specified time slot. Well, I wonder if this may have been done here.
Not sorry I watched but rather wished they had chosen to run another season of Silk.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, soler. I found this show 'squicky' from the get go, and didn't have my confidence restored later on. I don't know what they cut out, but it must have been a bucket load.

That entire bit about opening clams and then using the knife to stab the killer who had an allergy to shellfish? Huh? Wha? So a knife used a day or two before would still have fishy bits, enough to inflict harm?

Um, okey dokey then. Like you, and as the reviewer said, I watch mediocre to bollocks shows simply because they're British. I wouldn't have given this show two seconds of my time were it Tom Cruise in the lead. I didn't notice previously but heard his voice whilst surfing that the weasel Captain from Endeavour was the lead lawyer guy in this show, didja catch that? He certainly has a distinctive voice.

I found it interesting that Tennant got the kind of loyalty he did from his work associates, who put their jobs on the line for him, as well as the EMS guy who provided him with medical records (what gave him that idea, I wonder?) and the epi pen with the wrong medicine. I also found it interesting that I rooted for a killer with no motive to die, and for Tennant to go free.

Weird show all around.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thought you all might like a laugh, nothing much on television worth waxing rhapsodic over.

This from a gardening site, where someone asked if she should plant the chameleon plant, lovely multi-hued ivy plant. My answer:

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Oh yes, XX, I grew it, and it does stay colorful. I am in Zone 5/6, lower Westchester NY.

As I said, I grew it in a bed - and decided to grow it in three other beds. And THEN it became as The Blob with Steve McQueen - it grew, and grew, and grew, and grew, and grew. You get the idea.

This plant should have a skull and crossbones on it. The nursery that sold it to me should be ashamed of themselves. It took me TWO full years to tear it out of the beds, and I had to be careful about the most microscopic piece I was carrying, lest I dropped it, as it would root before it hit the ground.

Oh, it's very pretty and interestingly odorous (icky, actually) but be VERY CAREFUL. It is EXTREMELY invasive, a fact I didn't learn from the internet after it had almost climbed into my living room.

Speaking of invasive, don't buy chia seeds, no matter what Dr. Oz says, they are disgusting. And if you DO buy chia seeds and hate them and think the birds might like them, don't throw them in your garden. Neither the birds nor the squirrels like them. And if you DO buy chia seeds and put them in your garden and it rains, get ready. For The Blob II, as the chia seeds morph into a gelatinous mess, and then sprout. And sprout and sprout and sprout and sprout. And then you have to take them out by hand, almost with a tweezer, as they too will take over. Read up on chia seeds, they are an easy growing bumper crop that is EXTREMELY invasive.

Think I've learned my lesson? I wonder.

7 years ago

Well, I will be staying away from those! I am in flower land myself here in New Jersey. I am going to need an intervention soon, every time I go out (somehow) I come back home with more. Worst than potato chips, can't help myself. The excess rain we had did cause some problems this year, I have had to replace some plants already. Undaunted, I carry on, it gives me an excuse to go flower shopping, yet again. Loving my outdoor space this year, tried some new things and I am very pleased with the results.

I watched Sandra's (New Tricks) final episode the other night. It was good, more warm and fuzzy than Jack's, who was cantankerous at the end, with us not understanding that he leaving in very unhappy circumstances as it was never shared until the last few moments.

Not nearly as well done as Brian's departure though, which was bittersweet, but such good fun with he and Ester. Now that is the way to bow out of a series.

I like Sandra's replacement, she reminds me so much of Sandra when the series first started, they obviously were looking for a carbon copy and they found one. That being said, I do not think I will continue much after Series 10. The new characters leave me flat, I have no interest in them and Gerry has become a grumpy old man, the spark he had is gone. The glory days of the show is behind it, they can limp along for a few more seasons, but that special chemistry between the characters that was the core of the show has been lost.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Happily, Brit, I have run out of plantable (is that a word?) land. As it is now, I can only replace what dies. It has been good therapy all these years, albeit expensive, but I am tired and it hurts to wield a trowel. Gardener's carpal tunnel? We obviously both have an interest in gardens, Brit, witness our taste in Brit shows!

I'm looking forward to Sir Ian and Derek Jacobi in Vicious, that looks to be interesting. How can it not, with two such talents?

I give you credit for not being annoyed at Amanda's replacement, Brit, she is obviously as you say a younger and..........well, younger version of Ms. Redman. I don't like the old boy's club and Gerry couldn't have been more officious more quickly towards his new M'am. Nope, not for me.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I enjoyed your review of the new New Tricks. My PBS still hasn't aired the exits of Brian and Sandra.

Deedee, you brought up Derek Jacobi, and I see that my PBS will start the next season of Last Tango in Halifax this Sunday. It is followed by the new Endeavour (goodie, goodie!) and Vicious. It looks like Sunday night will be my favorite TV night again. I liked your chia story. If people would only keep the chia seeds where they belong, in cheap looking containers where they can grow to look like hair, then all would be right with the world. :D

7 years ago

Carla, same here, Sunday is going to a great night for TV. Guess what, I now have DVR capabilities! Yes, I have moved on in the technological world. Not of my own doing, my SO got a new cable package and it was included as an upgrade (at less cost!) along with another premium channel. I don't get involved in the cable "stuff", that is his domain and I am happy to have him have it, but the DVR Is a very nice feature.

Now I know what everyone is talking about - you can record stuff like crazy - all of Mystery (I set the TV to record the entire Sunday line-up) and Househunters episodes that run in the middle of the night. If May to December ever comes around my way, I am ready. I am not holding my breath for that though.

Deedee, I only plant annuals so I start from scratch each season. Some years I plant more than others, this year I went all out. Still working on it, picked-up some Zinnias yesterday - twelve small ones to edge a planting bed. I have large ones partially lining my walkway and pots by the front door - they are a profusion of buds/flowers. I also have two giant Gerber Daisies and a number of urns and pots of varying sizes of smaller Gerbers, Petunias, Marigolds, "Buttercup" flowers (I don't know the correct name) Geraniums, and Dahlias. I did plant an English boxwood in an urn (on a tall pedestal) this year like I see so often in English gardens.

BTW all, I started an Endeavour thread so we can separate the series discussions from our general TV talk.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

carla, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize that Halifax was back. PBS is promoting Vicious like crazy, I haven't (could be me) seen a thing about Halifax. I agree on the chia - and kale too, for that matter. Someday they will probably find kale is bad for you. :O)

Good for you, Brit. I can't tell you how many plants I've lost. You must share just how easy it is to record with a DVR. I won't give in, but I always wondered.

An entire block of Brit shows - oh happy day!

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, congrats on the DVR. I held out a long time too before getting one, but now that I have it, I'm hooked. Besides May to December, I'm keeping copies of Dalziel & Pascoe and Pie in the Sky. One day I'll buy the last two, but this will do until then. Deedee, it is super easy to record with a DVR. It's so easy that it makes a VCR look like rocket science. Brit, thanks for the Endeavour thread. I'll make a post there so it shows up in my list of shows on here.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

So. What didja all think?

I'm still lukewarm on Halifax. Can't explain why, but I'm not in love with it. I was more upset that I forgot to watch a rerun of Gently on Saturday. Caught part of it at 4:00am - Martin Shaw is fine, if you know what I mean?

Endeavour was lovely, although good thing it's rerun on WLIW tonight, because I didn't follow no how, no way. Phew. And that young boy? Did not understand ONE word he said, what accent was that??? Wish they had a 'previously on', because this foggy brain didn't recollect a shooting in a cathedral. * sigh *

Vicious? Um, well ------ sorry, Sir Ian and Sir Derek, if you're not both Sirs, I just knighted you, I love you both to pieces but ------ I found it shrill.

Some of the lines were yummy, and it was SO good to see Ms. LaTour again, but I'm not thrilled.

No matter, like a day of fishing, a night of UK shows is better by far than a year of American shows.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, Halifax wasn't as good as last season. I liked it well enough, but I wonder if it would have been better off as a mini-series that ended with last season. I didn't see Vicious but DVR'd it for later, mostly because I think Frances de la Tour is great at comedy. Hmmm, shrill, eh? That doesn't sound like a good beginning.

7 years ago

Deedee, yes, he is and I do know what you mean! How are the new episodes? I read a review which stated that the storylines would be moving in a different direction as both G & B were coming out of a difficult period in their lives. I miss the show and would like to re-visit, but hesitate if there will be a continuation of the very dark storylines. There is dark like in Vera and there is dark as in Gently and they are not the same.

As Carla says the recording feature is very easy, one click and you are done - you also get to chose if you want just the one episode recorded or all subsequent episodes as well. I do miss the "remind" feature I use to have - it is gone with the new system. I would set it when I was watching shows on different channels (for example one at 9:00 and then another at 10:00) the reminder would pop up when one was finished and all I would have to do was click on it and I was there. I guess they thought we wouldn't need it with the record function, but I still like to watch my shows "live" and it was very helpful.

I'll tell you, the record function was great last night. I started working outside planting my new Zinnias as it was the only cool time to do it in recent days and I couldn't stop to watch LT in H on time. Not to worry, I had it recorded and watched later after Endeavour. Quite nice!

Speaking of he series, I like it, but don't love it. I guess you would say I am lukewarm as well. I enjoy it for what it is, I am just not dancing over it.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I think I'm losing it. Do you remember Gently with Kevin Whately as his foe? That was apparently the last episode before this season.

It was darker than Vera, but not as dark as Wallander! Bacchus (and Endeavour too, for that matter) seems to be suffering from PTSD, and for the life of me, I can't remember why.

Meanwhile, the return of Gently got no play on WLIW, none. Well, then again, I watched zero minutes of the pledge, so perhaps it was shoved in there.

Hah...exactly, not dancing over it, good phrase. As carla said, I think they would have done better to end it as a one off, lovely series. Now, sorry Derek, I think they are milking it.

Hey, I just realized! I didn't hear Morse's theme song at the end of Endeavour, did you???

7 years ago
soler
guru

Hey, I just realized! I didn't hear Morse's theme song at the end of Endeavour, did you???
dee ........ when the old Morse show was on I used to love to read the rolling credits at the end of the show so as to listen to every note of the ' Morse code ' theme . With Endeavour ( and they pulled this last year as well ) the credit run seems to be shorter and this gives a shorter theme . They stuff in a bunch of up coming show clips before they run the Morse credits very quickly and thus a shorter theme . ANNOYING if ya ask me. #$@%

7 years ago

Did not see that one Deedee. The last Gently I watched was the one with the policeman who tortured (I am trying to be less descriptive here, than more) the two young men that saw his son accidently kill the young girl. One of them commits suicide because of it and the other is left mentally damaged. It was an extremely brutal episode and I still have not been able to wipe it from my mind. I enjoy Martin Shaw, fine actor and very handsome man - and I like the Gently character, but I could take no more after that, I had to pack it in.

Please keep me informed of the new season - tell me what you think of it, I still like to hear even if I cannot watch.

Did anyone else notice how well Sarah Lancashire looked this season in Last Tango in Halifax? She lost weight, has gotten in shape and looks smashing. Good for her.

Regarding Vicious, it was predictable and yawn inducing and I did not find it the least bit funny or clever. I found myself thinking, "is this almost over" with anticipation. I will most likely give it one more try, but I don't see myself continuing with it.

Why is it I can only get the first line in the comment box to bold? If I want to bold or put a line in italics, like someone's name or a title, further down in the text, I can't do it. It does not make sense and drives me crazy. That is the reason I don't bold your names, because I can't. Now I just went up to try to bold Deedee's and it worked fine. Here, no luck. Frustrating.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Waaaaaaait a minute, the last episode I was Goodbye China, where his informant was killed. I wonder why they skipped a season?

Hah.....guess I'm not losing it...........well, not yet. :O)

Thanks, Brit.

----not sure, Brit, I just italicized and bolded in two places, and it worked. This board is wonky, though, fer sure.

7 years ago

You are not losing it, that storyline is part of the Goodbye China episode, if I am not mistaken. China unfortunately saw what happened and who did it. That was why he was killed. The stories are all linked together in that episode.

I was able to italicize above with no problem - it is always okay on the first line or so. I can't remember if I had the same problem with my old computer and this happened once I got Windows 8. I always post with a wing and a prayer here - never quite sure if it will make it through to the end. :)

7 years ago

Okay, I watched to the end of Series 4 with the China episode... the last episode you saw with KW was at the end of Series 5. So, I guess WLIW is starting Series 6 now.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, the episode with Kevin Whately was Gently in the Cathedral, and it was the last one of season 5. We haven't seen season 6 yet, so that was the last one I saw. Although I really liked Whately in the show, I didn't like the episode so much. I always dislike shows when they go after the main character, and since this one had Gently on the run, it wasn't a favorite of mine. One thing I've noticed about Whately is that if he has facial hair, look out, he's gonna be a baddie. I remember he also had facial hair in New Tricks.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, just saw your post. The Goodbye China episode was such a sad way to end series 4. I didn't think series 5 was as good as earlier series overall. That said, Gently With Class from series 5 is one of my favorites from the entire Gently series.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

carla, that's just it. I know it's possible that I missed all 4 episodes of Season 5, but I find it disconcerting that I can't remember any of the storylines in Wikipedia.

I'll have to look for my last post on Gently before this, as it 'may' jog my memory.

7 years ago

Carla, since you mentioned that Gently With Class was one of your top favorites, I decided to watch it... very good episode! I enjoyed seeing Gently again, we got quite a bit of him in this one, still battling the loss of his wife and his loneliness without her. He is a man of principals and fairness, two of the attributes that I find so attractive about him, the fact that he is so handsome is just icing on the cake.

It was a good visit, thanks for giving me the heads up.

7 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.