TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
guru
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments
deedee713
guru

Ah, thanks Brit. I thought she ended up killing the guy. I can see how Brian would have been in trouble, although if Alun didn't want out of the show, Amanda would have gone to bat for him and won.

True, carla, the choice of Clunes for Doyle is an excellent one.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Re: Martin Clunes playing Conan Doyle.

For those who didn't know or may have forgotten, Clunes's late mother, was a cousin of the late Jeremy Brett, best known for playing Sherlock Holmes.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, sheer. I did know and had forgotten. Here are two interesting articles on him, the latter especially. What a lovely man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1052711/I-havent-acted-mother-died-Martin-Clunes-tells-mothers-death-changed-life.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9179420/Father-who-deserted-family-was-tortured-soul-admits-Martin-Clunes.html

I hope they make his character a better father and husband next season/series. And that they make Louisa less of an enabling doormat.

Speaking of Louisa, does anyone watch DCI Banks? Last night's broadcast, Bad Boy, the last of Series 3 apparently, had me yelling at the telly. Can't share why, but unless I missed a salient fact in the backstory, the writers REALLLLY messed up.

I couldn't find anything about the show being renewed. It would be criminal if it isn't.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Quirke, a new BBC/RTE drama starring Gabriel Byrne and featuring Michael Gambon and Geraldine Somerville that starts tonight on BBC1 which might appeal to some, should it become available in the US: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01437n8

7 years ago
soler
guru

Might appeal to me sheer as I'm a fan of 1940's nior , if ever comes this way I'll definitely give it a look. Kinda reminds me of Jericho with Robert Lindsey , now that was a show I was gettin' into before it was all too quickly axed.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Same here, solar. Lindsay, imo, is embarrassing himself in SPY. Hopefully we'll get Quirke here across the pond, both actors are excellent.

7 years ago

Soler, great minds think alike...I was also just thinking of the Jericho series and will check my NJ library to see if it has the DVD's so I can view it again. It stars (along with RL) my absolute favorite, Peter Bowles, who gave a stellar performance in the series.
Has anyone re-watched the Frost series? I've been thinking of that one again and there are vids on The 'Tube.
Deedee, I re-watched S10, E3 of New Tricks - such a good episode and it was as I remembered, Brian gave the tape to the mother and she in turn released it to the press. That is what got him sacked. He did the right thing, had he not, the truth would never had seen the light of day. He had a choice whether to do what he felt was morally right or to let the truth die with the boy and save his job, he made the right decision in my opinion, but it did cost him his job.
Okay, I am on the DCI Banks roller coaster. I have already seen the first there stories and I am going back for more. They are bleak and hard, but so interesting - I got drawn in despite myself and now I cannot stop! I know the series gets mixed reviews, I think that those who read the books mostly have a problem with it and this is understandable, TV adaptions rarely live up to the books, changes have to be made to adapt the stories and something usually gets lost. In some cases though the TV adaptions have the opposite effect - they enhance the original stories - Midsomer Murders and Poirot are two series that come to mind. TB Contin...

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Good for you, Brit. Stephen Tomkinson puts in a performance as good as Ballykissangel, but light years apart. The man does more with a raised eyebrow than the hack Tom Cruise does when he collects $26M.

You'll like seeing Louisa in a drastically different role as well. Let me know when you're at 'Bad Boy'. I hope it gets renewed.

The show is rough, true, but worth it.

Thanks for the info on New Tricks, it's being rerun tomorrow and this time - no pot on the stove!

7 years ago

I will admit the acting can be over the top at times, even though, I like Stephen Tompkinson's DCI Banks. He has an appealing way about him and is believable. I have been watching thanks to The 'Tube - the whole series s not available, but I do think there is one or two more floating out there.

Carla, I keep forgetting to tell you, some lovely individuals uploaded all the episodes of May to December and Bergerac (except Series 9) and I spent the winter binge watching both. It was glorious, I was besides myself because I so wanted to see the entire Series of M to D and get caught-up on the Bergerac seasons I do not own. I have learned my lesson from past mistakes and I do not take things for granted - I made sure I watched them all because one never knows when things can be removed and true to form, some of the episodes already have been.

I found that I really liked S6 of Bergerac a lot, there were many good stories, and to my surprise Celia Imrie is a delight as Jim's girlfriend, she was strikingly pretty in her youth and still is a very attractive woman. S4 was a disappointment, as soon as Susan appears the series loses steam for me. This was the first I got to see how the relationship between them began and I can now see why I always felt there was a lack of chemistry, what an uneventful beginning, it was a relationship of convenience, at least for Jim. No grand passion there. I am now watching S3, which I own, it's okay, Jim is at loose ends and we do see more of Deborah.

7 years ago

Continued...

There are a few good episodes and I am not finished yet, so there maybe more to come, but Jim seems at sixes and sevens and not focused - no wonder Susan was able to capture his attention when she did. He needed something and she became it, in many ways I feel sorry for her because she always cared more than he. Anyway, there is always Charlie to put a smile on my face and I love Diamante Lil. Why in heavens name did they get rid of her character in later episodes? Such a mistake as Diamante Lil was such a wonderful character, right up there with Charlie for me.

I watched Darling Buds of May "A Breath of French Air" and the transition was seamless from Bob Larbey's script to Robert Banks Stewart's. I keep thinking I am going to get tired of this series and each time I fall back in love with it again. Pa Is definitely a character and a magnet for the ladies, even though he may dabble on the fringes, you know he does not cross the line and Ma always has his heart. It is a unique perspective for this type of "homey" story, but somehow does not take over or become too obstructive - you can get pasted it without harboring any ill will towards him which is clearly David Jason's doing. In the hands of another actor it may not have worked as well.

7 years ago

I have been watching the first season of the TV series Born and Bred. Great cast - many of our favorites, 1950’s period comedy/drama. Iwonder if it is shown on any of the local PBS channels – I think it would definitely garner a following.

Carla, guess who has a leading role? Jenna Russel, our Maggie from On the Up. The character she plays is very much a grown-up Maggie, she still looks as lovely as ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_and_Bred

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0314983/

Speaking of On the Up, I saw back to back episodes of Joan Sims the other night, switched from On The Up to As Time Goes By and there she was lighting-up the screen. It was a nice surprise… makes me almost sad, she really was something else – very much missed.

I am up to the third series of Wycliffe – actually sat through three episodes last night (cannot wait until Endeavour airs), they really pumped-up the storylines in the third series, the series has hit its stride… very well done. I hope it holds for the reminder of the season.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I didn't like how they handled her passing on As Time Goes By. The finale, where they married everyone off (that's the way life should be, right?), Rocky explained her absence by saying she was on safari.

Bollocks. This show, of all shows, could have handled her character's death so well.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

I wonder who at PBS thought the very grating Suze Orman (on my WLIW tonight, knocking out ALL my regularly scheduled programs) would induce anyone to contribute to them?

Oh well.

7 years ago

And, Tuesday is your big night for Brit TV on WLIW isn't it? You went through the list of shows (recently) aired on Tuesday's above - it was quite a night of TV. NJTV is airing it's usual programming, The Doc, BallyK and Foyle's. I always watch BallyK - tonight's episode is the one when we find out Quigley is gone. Tony Doyle was such a favorite of mine... still miss him after all these years. It is a bittersweet episode.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, Brit. I just checked and good for NJTV, now I have those shows to watch.

Can't explain why I'm so hooked on Scott & Bailey, but I am! :O)

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

ITV Renew 'Vera' For Season Five
ITV have announced, drama series Vera will be returning in 2015, for it's fifth season. The show will return with a new male lead, with Kenny Doughty joining the show as a regular.

New male lead. Harrrrrrumph. I liked Joe. Here's how they explain Joe's leaving, I wonder why David Leon wanted to exit?

http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv/news/a575610/vera-returning-for-fifth-series-on-itv-kenny-doughty-joining-cast.html

Hopefully the new guy will leave her alone to wallow in her misery and fondness for drink.

Best part - the new episode takes place in a caravan park, where I want to live some day, providing it's on the water. :O)

I wonder which year we will get the new ones?

7 years ago

Obviously, I am thrilled she's back, but I will miss Joe - I thought they were a perfect pair, it worked and it worked well.

I have not seen Series 3 yet and only one of Series 4 (that I found on The "Tube). I need to do something about this, the library here in NJ is not that well stocked with the new shows. I tried to get Series 3 of DCI Banks and no luck.

I have to say I really like ST as the lead and the stories are so interesting, there is always a spin or turn of events that you are not expecting, at least in the first two series there is. I hope the writing holds-up in the later seasons. I am trying to envision CC (Louisa) as part of the team, I read some reviews and her character seems to shake things up, which is probably a good thing - Bank's sidekick can be a bit much to take and I would like to see her silenced for more than a few seconds every once and awhile.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

DCI Banks does hold up well, Brit, due largely in part to Stephen. His facial expressions impart much of the story - it's not the kind of show you can watch whilst you're knitting. Unlike MM.

I know you like John Nettles, Brit, but Holy Hannah, has he gotten dumber as the character? In a recent one with the new guy, Barnaby caught sight of a witness taking something - from the scene of the crime, mind you - and let her leave with it. Then, muuuuuuch later, when he called her on it, she admitted, oh yes it's in my purse but it's my yadayada card and left it at that.

I have no idea if it was a pertinent clue, but I'm sure it all worked out okay for Tom in the end. Phew.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Speaking of our Vera, here is a nice article on her career. They include a warning if there are any sensitive of eye out there:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/brenda-blethyn-vera-7-roles-3464985

Let's not forget her turn in The New Adventures of Old Christine (why a Brit as JLD's mother, you ask?) and her (probably) many stints in Law and Order. I just saw one where she was caught after many years for a murder she had previously committed, having adopted a new life and, of course, the crack team at L&O:SVU found her out. Again, no accent, more's the pity.

BTW, how is Tennant doing with his fake American accent, is that show on the air yet?

7 years ago

You mean the American version of Broadchurch, Deedee? Not yet, I think, although I haven't been keeping up with it as I have no plans to watch. Can't even imagine what a mess they are going to make of that.

Just finished watching Touch of Frost, House Calls, starring Susanna Doyle (Tony Doyle's daughter) as the sergeant working with Frost. I am posting this link to the theme song just for the memories. One of the best theme songs, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvdtOZyl2I

Regarding Midsomer, I know what episode you mean, I saw that recently as well... that's just how Tom Barnaby rolls, he never gets too excited during the chase, slow and steady and he always gets his man, or woman, as the case maybe. :)

Off to read the article... thanks!

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, thanks for the update on Vera. I'm thrilled she's coming back but will miss Joe. Maybe Vera will find things difficult without the steadying Joe and revert to more of the hard-nosed, hard drinking gal she was in the beginning.

Brit
, good idea to catch May to Dec when you could. My local PBS is running the series now, so I DVR'd the seasons that aren't on DVD. It might be one of the few chances I have to get the complete series. I still prefer Eve Matheson's Zoe, but I cannot fault Lesley Dunlop. I just don't like changing actors in key roles.

About Bergerac, Lil is also a favorite of mine. I don't know why they wrote her out. I wish they had kept the Royal Barge too. You probably already know that Lil's real-life daughter is Hilary from May-Dec. How neat of a connection is that since we're talking both series? They never said what happened to Celia Imrie's character, but I liked her too. About Susan, you're right, she was always more into the relationship than Jim. I got the feeling that Debbie never really got over Jim although she tried really hard. Although Jim liked all of his ladies, the only one he seemed nuts about was my least fave Danielle, probably because he was rarely with her.

Wycliffe is a good series and that scenery is wow! I like that we get to know Wycliffe more as the series progresses and find his love of jazz piano brings out another side to him. Lucy and Doug were interesting characters. Lots of good guest actors, even Bergerac's Susan.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Awhile ago, we were talking about P.D. James' Death Comes to Pemberley. Pghfan said he liked it, and I decided to throw caution to the wind and pick up a copy. It was a great read. You could tell great care had been taken with the characters, and I could envision the characters turning out as James wrote them.

Possible spoiler, but maybe not. If you don't want to know anything at all about the book, stop reading now. One of the cool things was that even though the book was about the Darcys, there was very brief mention of characters in other Jane Austen books (Emma, Persuasion). I like how James weaved them in because it felt like catching up with old friends.

7 years ago

Carla, how lucky you are to be able to DVR Series 3-6! I don’t have DVR capability, I really don’t need it since I have On-Demand, but if they ran the series on my PBS, I would get it just for that. I also own the first two series and had wished they would have released all six seasons on DVD. I emailed the company that released the DVD’s and asked them if they planned on releasing the others (this was awhile back) and they replied no.

I also prefer Eve Matheson’s Zoe. Lesley Dunlop did her best, but I found myself often thinking how EM would have played a scene or approached an issue with Alec (if she was still in the role) as I was watching. LD made Zoe her own - she played her differently than EM - which was good, she needed to do that yet, her Zoe never had the chemistry with Alec that Eve’s did. You felt the attraction and understood what made the two characters take the world on to be together with Eve and Anton – I was never quite sold on the relationship with Lesley in the role.
The supporting characters were the best in that series, Rebecca Lacey was outstanding as Hilary, Frances White as Vera, Zoe’s mom, Dorothy. Very much like On the Up, the assemble cast made that show very special.

7 years ago

Regarding Bergerac, I think they should have kept Celia Imrie’s character around through Series Three. I find Jim’s ex-wife Debbie to have a grating personality, I understand that she is angry with Jim, but she is more than a little flaky and her bad temper with him does get wearing. A little more of Imrie’s character Marianne (and a little less of Debbie) would have added the punch Series 3 is lacking.

Danielle, is one of my favorites only surpassed by Francine. I think this is because, as you say, Jim was nuts about her and finally there was some chemistry on screen. Remember, I came into the series at Season 5, Susan was already entrenched and by that time all the sizzle (if there ever was any) had left that relationship. When Jim met Danielle he fell head over heels and I am sure I reacted to his passion. As a character, I will admit, she was lack luster, it was somewhat hard to understand why he felt as he did – it was just nice to see him involved in his love life and happy for a change.

7 years ago

The Royal Barge…I want to visit Jersey, I am so intrigued after watching the show and even though I know there is little of the Bergerac glory days left on the island I would still like to see it for myself. The one thing that is standing is Lil’s place. I checked the Trip Advisor forums and someone mentioned that The Old Court House was used as the Royal Barge in the series. I looked through the pictures and my sense is that some of the bar area has been left intact as we saw it back in Bergerac’s day. The reviews have been mixed of late, but it is a thriving business.

Now if John Nettle’s would only give a tour of the Island… that would be something else. Before he gets involved in another lengthy project it would be fabulous if he would revisit the Island and take us along with him. I would sign-up for that tour! He could tell us where everything was and we could see how much the area has changed over the years. He already wrote the book (Bergerac’s Jersey) he could use that as the basis for the tour itinerary. BTW, I really enjoyed it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g551610-d193247-Reviews-The_Old_Court_House_Inn-St_Aubin_Jersey_Channel_Islands.html

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, you're singing my song now with saying "I want to visit Jersey." Since the moment I started watching Bergerac, I wanted to visit the Channel Islands and especially Jersey. It appears that Charlie's house is no more, and that's sad. Last week I caught an episode of House Hunters because a couple was looking for a place in Jersey. There were glimpses of the Jersey we see in the series but not enough for me.

Regarding Danielle, I found her likable because she was a kind person. However, I had a difficult time seeing any real romance between the couple because Danielle never looked as if she was really into it whenever Jim did something as simple as kissing her. It was good to see Jim in a relationship where he was the one who was more invested in it for a change. Danielle and her overbearing father seemed like an attempt to recreate the father/daughter dynamic with Jim in the middle, sort of like how the series began with Charlie at odds with Jim over his breakup with Deborah. I agree, Debbie could be grating, and I assume she turned really bitter when her marriage to Jim fell apart.

Season 3 is a mixed bag for me. The first episode is one of my least favorites of the series. Some of the later ones were good, especially with Warren Clarke back as a guest.

7 years ago

Danielle's father, he was a piece of work! How Jim put up with him, you knew he was head over heels over her because why else (or how else) could or would anyone put up with that man! I kept thinking run, Jim, run!

I've never seen Series 9, I was surprised to find out that Danielle left Jim in this series. Not even seeing it, I can imagine this was a difficult time for him... lost his job and his girl, all he had left was Charlie. The last season (I understand) ended the series on a down note, the last episode is suppose to be the best, giving Jim some hope for the future. I wish someone had uploaded it, but no one did (although they took the time to do the rest of the series) which I felt was indicative of the quality of the stories in the season.

I saw that episode of House Hunters and I thought of you! I had the same feeling, it wasn't enough. Can you imagine both of us visiting together, we would be besides ourselves. Nothing like sharing a trip with somewhere who is as enthralled with the locale as you are. Going with my SO would not be the same as going with you. He doesn't "get it", I am sure he would enjoy it, but not in the same way you or I would.

It is a bit a trip to get there. For me, I think it would be best to make it my primary destination, fly directly there first and then go on from there with my travels.

http://www.jersey.com/english/Pages/default.aspx

7 years ago

Regarding Deborah... she was a party animal and very much into her social status - I never saw the connection with Jim, they did not seem to fit together in the least, but we never saw Jim in his drinking days. As much as it added to the downfall of that marriage, the "drinking" Jim was a different person - before it got out of hand, they may have had more in common than it seemed when we were introduced to the characters. It would have been nice to have gotten a clearer picture of the relationship before the break-up and bitterness turned it into an on-going spat - she looked for things to call him on and in turn, he generally did not respond well. I agree, she never quite got over the marriage falling apart.

7 years ago

...that is going on the trip with "someone" - where, oh where, is the edit feature when you need it!!

7 years ago

Here are pictures of the bar area, very reminiscent of the Bergerac days. You can navigate from this page to see more about the hotel.

http://www.oldcourthousejersey.com/bars.aspx

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I also thought of you during that House Hunters episode and was hoping you caught it! You're right, with both of us so enthralled with the charm of the place, it would be fantastic to go to Jersey together. I can't think of better company, and you're right, the SO's would only enjoy it as a normal vacation. I can imagine visiting the sites from the series, seeing everything available about the occupation, and spending hours leisurely walking and/or cycling the island. A trip or two or three to the Old Court House would definitely be on the itinerary (thanks for the link). It makes sense to fly in, but there would be something special about arriving by ferry. Maybe we can talk Deedee into going with us and can drop her off at a caravan in Vera country while we soak up Jersey. It might take both of us to drag her away when it's time to go home, but we'll be strong from all that walking and cycling over Jersey. :D Ahhh, dreams, aren't they great?

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

I'll say, carla. If I find a curmudgeon that I can toss back a few with in that caravan on the sea, you're right, it will take all you and Brit can muster to drag me away.

:O)

7 years ago

I watched this episode last night, it is a good one if any of you would like a "touch" of Frost :)
Great cast in this one... Rebecca Lacey, Isla Blair and Mel Martin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoFUolI3Tx8

7 years ago

Look what I found. Group Trip! Since we all like Cornwall (land of Doc Martin) and the Channel Islands are but a ferry ride away, I thought Soler, Alastair and Starfish may want to come along. If we are going for it, might as well go big!

Carla … “From the Channel Islands and France you can travel by fast ferry to the Southern UK ports of Weymouth, Poole and Dorset with Condor Ferries. Services are available from Jersey, Guernsey, St. Malo and Cherbourg.”

And, Deedee, there are caravan parks in Cornwall.

http://caravanscornwall.com/

7 years ago

Deedee, for some reason I cannot get the link directly to the site. If you copy and paste the above link in your browser and click on the first site in the list you will come to the Caravan Park page. There is a nice video there you will enjoy.

7 years ago

Brit, during my 'wild and woolly salad days' I visited Lands End and Torquay and Cornwall in general. Lovely places!
It was another lifetime in another world. Nothing would be the same today. Still lovely though, just different.
Thank you for the invite!

7 years ago
soler
guru

Great viewing Brit ....... these old Frost eps. Even before watching this one I remember a ' slam ' line one of the women directed against Mel Martin's character. " That one who dresses like the Queen Mother " Funny the things ya remember . Lots of Frost eps. ta feed on here. lol
So it's off to Cornwall are we ??? That would be a nice trip. Don't worry if anyone gets sick we can call into Doc Martin's . Not sure how he would react , though. When he found out we were tourists he might start shouting , GET OUT GET OUT .
Always thought it would be nice to take the train from London to Paris . 2 1/2 hours or there abouts.
No view though , except tunnel walls .

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, I'm very glad you're coming along. Good thinking, but yikes, hope if we see Doc Martin he's on his best behavior. That would be a trip in itself. It would also be nice to travel north a bit, maybe take in Morse's Oxford and we can't forget Poirot's Whitehaven Mansions in London. Plus, maybe we can find some of the Midsomer filming sites.

Starfish, did you stay at Fawlty Towers and see the Agatha Christie sites when in Torquay? Let's see if I can tempt you to come along. What if we follow in Archie's footsteps, and I don't mean Agatha's first husband. We can take that train to the continent that Soler wrote about but keep going until we get to Italy. From there, we can catch a boat across the Adriatic and end up at Black Mountain. Now that would be an adventurous and memorable trip. See if this tempts you http://articles.latimes.com/1987-04-19/travel/tr-1796_1_montenegro

7 years ago

That was a good episode, wasn’t it Soler! Such strong performances, not often you see actresses of their caliber in one episode. I was feeling nostalgic seeing them all in their prime, I always think of Rebecca Lacey as Hilary in May to December and Isla Blair as Peter Bowles love interest in The Bounder. These were series from early in their careers where they made their mark.

Frost was in rare form in this one, he was feeling his age, I think! There are lots of episodes available, I have been picking through looking for stories that interest me and watching in no particular order. Isla played Rosalie Martin in three separate episodes. She was introduced in Fun Times for Swingers, than I guess she became a love interest for Frost (I don’t remember) because she is in True Confessions and No Other Love. I’ll have to track those two down and see if I can find them.

Can you imagine coming across Doc Martin if needing health care on holiday. That would be enough to make you turn around and come home! Cornwall is beautiful and it would be a lot of fun to see it. BTW, The Milestone Hotel in London has a new Gentleman’s Tea, I am very enamored of – this is my kind of tea, dainty sandwiches have their place, but this is more to my liking. Worth the trip from Paris to London!

http://www.hotelsmag.com/Industry/News/Details/50305?allowguest=true

7 years ago

Carla, something tells me you have just convinced Starfish to come along! This is going to be some trip!

I was watching the last episode of Series 2 of On The Up last night and when Tony was having dinner with his soon to be girlfriend, Jane and she was attempting to down-play the real reason she was having dinner with him after she had told him they should not see each other (again) that morning, she said “I would only have been home watching Bergerac” …

I did not realize it until then (I did not pick-up on this my first go-around of the series) that Bergerac was airing while On the Up was in production. I got a kick out of it.

I love the scenes with everyone sitting around the kitchen table gossiping over coffee and cake. I would have enjoyed being part of that household… this is one of the best ensemble casts in a series.

7 years ago

Soler, the chunnel ride is rather non-dramatic. The only drama is when your brain tells you where you actually are and you hope to God the engineers knew what they were doing.

7 years ago

Carla, thanks, that was a wonderful article on Montenegro by Ms Gruber. Had she taken a few pictures, I would call it epic!
When I read The Black Mountain, I did so with a map tracking Wolfe and Archie's travels. Probably just a bit obsessive.

Devon is beyond picturesque. I remember rolling hills, in lush green and looking like a giant well kept lawn for miles around, dotted with clustered small houses. Suitable for framing.
Ms Christie was not much on my mind then. I was traveling in an Austin-Healy (not mine) at the time and life was interesting.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Britmystery as you like On the Up :

British actor Sam Kelly, best known for his roles in Allo Allo and Porridge, has died at the age of 70. He also played the chauffeur in On the Up :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27851420

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks for the news, Sheerwater, but I am so saddened to see Sam Kelly passed. He is a favorite of mine, such a great comedienne and always looking like he's having a fun time. Brit, I started watching On the Up from the beginning again yesterday so we could discuss it more. Of course I had to watch another episode today too. Tonight, I was about to watch an episode of Barbara when I was interrupted, so I recorded it and popped on the computer for a few minutes. That's when I saw Sheerwater's post. I'm off to watch that episode now, but I do so with a heavy heart. Rest in peace, Sam, you will be greatly missed.

7 years ago

Oh no! I am so, so sorry to hear this. First Bob Larbey and now Sam Kelly. I love him in On the Up and I also saw him in Midsomer Murders and New Tricks. He will be greatly missed, such a talented man.

Thank you, Sheer for letting me know. I was just about to start re-watching Series 3 of On the Up and it will be with a heavy heart as I watch his Sam. Such a lovely character.

He is in the upcoming (new) episode of Poirot - Dead Man's Folly. Seeing him is going to be bittersweet for me.

7 years ago

Carla, I did not read your post before I posted mine, we must have been writing at the same time. We expressed the same feelings without knowing what the other said. Yes, Sam will be greatly missed.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, we are very much in sync with our love of Larbey shows and everyone associated with them. I enjoyed seeing Sam and Dennis W. together again on New Tricks and will try to find that episode again soon. I've slowly been rewatching all of Midsomer, and about two weeks ago I saw the episode with him and Julia McKenzie. Their interaction was always one of my favorite things about that episode.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Starfish, you traveled in style, and that must be a great memory. I was as far as Plymouth in Devon and it was very lovely, but I never made stopped at Torquay. Now I would make the effort to see Torquay as well as Cornwall. Ms. Gruber did a wonderful job on the article, and I'm glad you liked it too. It may be dated but the sentiment is timeless. My favorite line was when she asked, how would he have reacted if I had told him I wanted to see where Nero Wolfe was born?

7 years ago

Carla, He probably would have grumbled something barbed about the vagaries of women.

I liked that Ms Gruber came "at night by sea". This scene in the story has always impressed me.
It's time to read the book once more and scare myself.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Cornwall (especially a caravan on the water) sounds good to me. As long as we have time to go north to Scotland, I'm in.

Anyone watching The Escape Artist? Unnecessarily violent and creepy, but what isn't these days? Had to read ahead on Wikipedia to find out the ending. Tennant is good, happily with accent.

Happy happy joy joy, pledges are over and my programs are back.

7 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.