TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
guru
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments
sheerwater
regular

On the subject of Scott & Bailey:

http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2014/04/scott-bailey-begins-filming-in-greater-manchester/

In other news:

BBC One has announced plans to adapt four classic 20th century novels including new versions of DH Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover, LP Hartley's The Go-Between, JB Priestley's An Inspector Calls and Laurie Lee's Cider With Rosie.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a566434/bbc-one-to-adapt-lady-chatterleys-lover-an-inspector-calls.html#~oCnVjaAdcrJDVU

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Interesting reads. Odd that I'm in line with popular taste. With the changes, I hope they don't muck it up.

Wonder whom they'll have fall madly in love with Danny Webb, the more age appropriate Sharp or Jones? Just read that Sharp is married to Nicholas Gleaves, Andy on the show, and her junior!

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Oh my. Oh dear.

Sped past the new New Tricks last evening with a bunch of old men and a new blonde Twinkie. Same look as Redman, same voice as Redman, with 20 years shaved off. Kept on speeding.

Disgusting.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Sped past the new New Tricks last evening with a bunch of old men and a new blonde Twinkie. Same look as Redman, same voice as Redman, with 20 years shaved off. Kept on speeding.

Didn't know Amanda Redman was 63 !

Tamzin Outhwaite is 43 which is the same age that Amanda Redman was when the pilot episode of New Tricks was made in 2003.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Splitting hairs, sheer?

Redman is 56, I had no idea how old the Twinkie is.

Don't like her, don't care how old she is.

7 years ago
soler
guru

Had 3 eps. on my DVR for the ' Scott and Bailey ' series , watched all 3 last night back to back . Must say , not bad. It will not replace Frost , Morse , Poirot on my favs list but I think the show is quite well written with interesting story lines. Lead characters , 2 female detectives with the Manchester Met. Parts are quite graphic , thinking of Bailey's stabbing ( by our friend Molesey of Downton Abbey fame of all people ) quick head turn as I'm no fan of gore. Made sure DVR was still set for S&B as I will be looking to view future eps. Like the Bailey character the best , older that Scott and so far gives her good advice.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Good synopsis, solar, and I agree on the watch-ability of the show. It is not a must see like Morse or Frost, but doesn't annoy me, at least.

Rachel becomes less of a nit as the show progresses, I think you'll appreciate that.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

This and that:

I decided to stick with The Last Enemy unto the end. Mistake. It turned out to be, as I thought earlier, a waste of Carlyle and Cumberbatch. Scary as all heck, since it was made in 2008 and here we are and it has all come true, outside of the body tags, but they are probably not far in the future.

TLE was a mixture of Contagion and The X-Files and any very intense movie which has a completely unsatisfying ending. Don't waste your time.

DIP was fluff, but again a fun watch. Plus, Camille didn't annoy. Perhaps she didn't like Miller either.

Big disappointment: The Bletchley Circle. As Brit warned, it was VERY dark, and sensationalistic in a completely unnecessary way. The creator stated in the after interview that the 'girls (did he really say girls, or ladies?) had moved on'. Yes, moved on from an intelligent, well written complex show that mixed character development with a fascinating storyline into a LOOK OUT FEMALE IN DANGER (I know, the original series, that's British for season, had one of the characters in peril but it fit) for no good reason. I was left with mouth agape at the end, a cliffhanger of course.

One of the actors left, and well she should.

I can see now why the show was cancelled. Such a waste of talent.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Homeland Security, can you believe it?????!!!!!!!

For those who use IE, see this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/usanow/2014/04/28/internet-explorer-bug-
homeland-security-clandestine-fox/8409857/

I use Mozilla, I hate IE and Chrome.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Sounds fun. Sad that all but one of the 1971 cast has died. Jones and Nighy together? When will we get it here?

Brit, did you see this heading for another story? I opened it and still have no idea what it is all about!

Channel 4 orders more 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

So very shocked and sorry to hear about Bob Hoskins. My favorite show with him has to be Flickers with Frances de la Tour. He was so much fun to watch on screen. Yes Deedee, he was much too young.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

carla, I love Frances de la Tour - my favorite of hers has to be the one with Albert Finney's head! Have you seen the trilogy Cold Lazarus from the very outre Dennis Potter? Brilliant, imo.

I'm sorry to see so much mention of Roger Rabbit, Hoskins made so many other wonderful films. Wish I had seen half of those from his listing on IMDb.

I especially liked Pennies From Heaven (also from Potter) and Made In Dagenham, and of course Mona Lisa and The Long Good Friday. This link has many of his standout performances:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27224995

7 years ago

The last thing I saw him in was Paris, je t’aime and he was excellent. So sorry to hear this. Yes, much too young...

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, I haven't seen Cold Lazarus and will have to track it down. Thanks for the suggestion!

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

carla, Cold Lazarus was paired with Karaoke, this being the first half of the series. Be prepared for freaky. Good, but freaky.

Speaking of which, I've decided to give Orphan Black another try. The freaky bit? Amazon Prime KEPT my place-mark from last I viewed it. Try getting that service from FIOS.

7 years ago

Carla, I watched the third/forth episodes of Darling Buds of May and they were even better than the first two. Bob Larbey’s writing was superb - this typically would not be a show I would be all that interested in, but I am drawn to it and I know it is the Larbey touch that is the reason. The man will be so missed, he was one of those special few.

I am going to move on to the next episode as I now realize (after you pointed it out) that Robert Banks Stewart is the writer and I want to see what does with the storyline and characters. His style is different from Larbey’s, it will be interesting to see how this will impact or change the feel of the production.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, I'm up for freaky from time to time. Thanks for the info.

Brit, I am so glad you went on with Darling Buds of May. The series captivated me. I wasn't prepared for that. I thought it would be a fun little series with the chance to see David Jason and Pam Ferris together. Instead, it grew on me so much that I didn't want it to end. The series got off to a fantastic start with Bob Larbey, and the other writers carried it forward wonderfully. All of the shows were well written, but I would be interested to hear if you think the same. I want to live next to Pa and Ma! And Edith, she is a great character who is like one of the family. I love how Ma and Pa sort of adopt everyone who comes into their universe. I can't say enough good things about the series.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

In case anyone is up for another bit o' freaky, Orphan Black seems to be all the rage. With whom, I have no idea.

My impression (I don't seem to like anything new, do I):

-----technical effects are magnificent, you will NEVER ever be able to tell that Tatiana is talking to a blue screen. Never. Trust me. Never. Ever.

-----Tatiana Maslany is an excellent actor, where has she been? She will go far. Until she's 56, that is.

-----Jordan Gavaris is even better. Where has he been?

If you are interested, don't bother with BBC America and their intrusive commercials. You can find it on Amazon Prime.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Just for yuks. On another site, Mitch Hedberg was mentioned. Mitch who?

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

-Mitch Hedberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSIkjNaICsg

I never heard of him either, and now he's long dead.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee said: My impression (I don't seem to like anything new, do I):

You are not alone, Deedee. There are very few new shows that interest me, and I know I don't give them a chance and am probably missing out on some good stuff. I always seem to be disappointed when I watch modern shows. The dialogue is usually very limited, they are often plot driven rather than character driven, and shock value seems to have replaced good old-fashioned storytelling. When I see ads for new shows, they come across as very dark. I can do dark sometimes, but the story has to be enthralling enough to pull me in and make me want to stick around.

As for the commercials you mentioned, the number of commercials on all channels is insane. Unless it's on PBS, I won't watch a live show anymore because of them. The way some channels show commercials every three minutes or so takes me out of the show. No wonder attention spans seem to have shortened in recent years.

7 years ago
soler
guru

Just shows how desperate we have become in looking for OUR shows . Bletchley a bit of a let down for some with its gore bits , I started to watch Scott and Bailey but its no Prime Suspect or Morse , or the rest we were used to back in the A&E glory days of ' Mysteries To Die For ' , anyone remember those days , going back to the 90's now , oh well, Must check the summer line up over on PBS.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Quite right, solar. I remember them well, haven't moved beyond them really, hence all my kvetching.

Here's the summer PBS lineup for ye:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/programs/features/news/masterpiece-2014-summer-schedule/

7 years ago

Carla, just saw an episode of The Artful Detective and guess who the Bad Guy was? Julian Ritchings - aka Alger Kates in TSS and the Poet from Lili's Salon in DoaD. He also appeared in DLaD and MiC.

Small world. I am always scanning the horizon for survivors and old friends!

7 years ago
soler
guru

not bad dee ..... and it all starts on June 15 ....;give us something to watch and talk about. First in the line up sounds like a circus show but has my interest , reminds me of that show ' Silk ' that we saw one season and left me wantin' more. Wonder what happened to it. No doubt , this show as well will remind me of the Rumpole series. Endeavour and Poirot will be good to see again but not too sure of the last in the lineup. ' Breathless ' , never was too keen on medical dramas but will watch it just the same just hope it doesn't revert to life saving operations in parking lots and such , noticed Doc Martin can't resist this type of drama from time to time. Curious as to why its time set is 1961.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

My thoughts exactly, solar. The first and last sound iffy, but given there is nothing else on, I'll give them a try.

Perhaps they chose 1961 because Gently had such good fortune with their timeframe. Speaking of Silk, which should be here by now, where is Gently?

Anyone have available DCI Banks? Without so much as an all new season/series spoken in a whisper or a shout, a new episode of DCI Banks showed up. Almost plotzed, since my teevee, the non-all Velocity all the time one, decided to crash. Black screen. Nothing. For two hours, directly during Banks! Hubby graciously gave up his all Velocity all the time set, and it was a cracking good episode. Cabot now has her wee bairn, such a cutie, and the father was revealed. Good mystery, good characterization, drop dead gorgeous Yorkshire shots - and those houses, oh those houses. All they need is the beach................ :O)

Oh, and the LED teevee decided to return after Banks was done. It's all of two years old, and I'm guessing this was just a warning. I see an expensive repair in my future. Meanwhile, my CRT teevee lasted 22 years, and is probably still working somewhere. My fault, falling prey to Madison Avenue.

7 years ago

I remember Sheer mentioning that Breathless did not do all that well when it was aired in the UK. I don't think it got another season - it is a one and done. Silk did though, I know it got a second season, but I think it's third is it's last. I wish PBS would have aired the second series rather than Breathless.

I have yet to see DCI Banks - as I mentioned to you on the Bletchley thread Deedee, I need to take a break from the heavy duty detective series for a while, I am on overload again - but I have to look around (possibly it's on The 'Tube) to catch an episode.

Yea, Dee that does not sound good - it very well may be a warning... I still have an old TV in the house, won't give it up - it is not used often (as we have two others), but I am sure when the other two wide screens are long gone it will still be ticking. Those TV's were made like iron - can't say that too often anymore.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Starfish, it is exciting seeing the old gang in new projects. Murdoch is great for spotting Nero Wolfe alumni. Besides seeing a few of the rotating character actors, I've also seen Fred, Saul and Purley. It's not quite the same as having them all back together, but it will do just fine.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, thanks for the info. on the upcoming summer season. Except for Rumpole, I'm not big on law shows, so the David Tennant show sounds the least interesting to me. The medical drama sounds interesting, and I think you may be right that Gently in the 1960's may have been their inspiration.

I saw the DCI Banks movie Aftermath and liked it. Now we're waiting for the first season to be released on Netflix.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Official BBC page for The Escape Artist: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01jqq59

An interview with the creator of Breathless: http://sofarproductions.com/paul-unwin-breathless/ which might give you a better idea of what it's about. Meanwhile, an article about its demise: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-29/breathless-breathes-its-last-the-itv-medical-drama-will-not-be-back-for-a-second-series

Meanwhile, a current BBC series that might appeal to a PBS audience is The Crimson Field: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01tlxzb set in a field hospital in 1914.

7 years ago
soler
guru

thanks for the feeds sheerwater ........ agree Brit ... about Silk Season 2 over Breathless would have been a good move. Wonder if PBS got it on the cheap , as you say , ' a one and done ' .

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

thanks for the feeds sheerwater ........ agree Brit ... about Silk Season 2 over Breathless would have been a good move. Wonder if PBS got it on the cheap , as you say , ' a one and done ' .

Masterpiece Theatre co-produced Breathless http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/masterpiece-to-co-produce-itv-medical-drama-breathless/ thus marking another dubious decision by Rebecca Eaton.

7 years ago
soler
guru

Ahhhhhh yes sheerwater ..... that explains why PBS slipped THAT in there. LOL

7 years ago

...thus marking another dubious decision by Rebecca Eaton.

I honestly don't understand what Rebecca Eaton was thinking - there is so much good programming that she passed on and Breathless is what she chose to co-produce. I don't see it as something I am going to be interested in.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

I'm confused. Hasn't Eaton been around a long, long time? As in the time of Morse and Marple? Who was the woman who wanted to Americanize MT and Mystery!?

Brit, it doesn't look appealing to me either. Seems like Mad Men meets House.

Whitechapel was cancelled around the same time. Amazon Prime must know I like dark and ugly, they recommended it and I've started watching it - the excellent Phil Davis is in it, but hoo boy is it rough.

Bletchley, Breathless, Whitechapel - it appears that ITV has little patience with their shows.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Whitechapel lasted 4 series. The first had over 8m viewers and by series 3 it was still getting 7m. Season 4 only averaged 4m and the plots weren't as good.

Breathless debuted with 4.4m and finished with 2.7m. It's not surprising it was axed, both the public and the press disliked it. The Daily Telegraph's opinion of episode 1: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10370984/Breathless-ITV-review.html

Don't forget that ITV are funded by adverts and not the licence fee so are more ruthless than the BBC with underperforming shows.

About ITV: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_(TV_network)

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Interesting, sheer.

So viewers in the UK pay the licence fee on their televisions, but only the BBC gets it?

ITV gets only advertising fees.

Does Auntie Beeb get the licence fee and advertising money?

Interesting, this criticism on ITV, I guess this is why American television is moronic:

Criticism Since the launch of ITV, there have been concerns from politicians and the press that ITV faced a conflict concerning programme audiences and advertisers. As advertisers are reluctant to buy advertising space around low viewing programmes there is a pressure on ITV to broadcast more of these programmes in peak times. This has become more profound in recent years following a relaxation in regulation and significantly more competition in the advertising market following the huge increase in commercial channels. In recent years, programmes have started to dominate from the reality television genre including the celebrity and talent show sub-genres. This has led to accusations of ITV 'dumbing down' their programmes and appealing to the 'lowest common denominator', accusations that are at odds with the network's status as a public service broadcaster.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks for the further information on Breathless, Sheerwater. It no longer looks like something I would be interested in seeing. Secrets, lies, and nobody being what they seem to be doesn't sound good. If I want to see a show set in another time period and focusing on gynecology, I'll stick with Call the Midwife which is life affirming. Not a good sign that a third of the audience wasn't interested in sticking around for the conclusion.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

So viewers in the UK pay the licence fee on their televisions, but only the BBC gets it?

Correct. see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/whoweare/licencefee/

ITV gets only advertising fees.

Plus what they get from licensing the shows and formats produced by their in-house studio division.

One of the problems ITV have at the moment is that a lot of their most popular and widely exported dramas such as Downton Abbey (Carnival Films), Doc Martin (Buffalo Pictures) and Midsomer Murders (Bentley Productions) are produced by independent production companies who profit the most from their success.

As do the other 'terrestrial' broadcasters Channel 4 ( http://www.channel4.com/ )and Channel 5
( .http://www.channel5.com/ ) launched in 1982 and 1997 respectively.

Does Auntie Beeb get the licence fee and advertising money?

No. The only other money they receive comes from licensing their in-house productions or their formats to other broadcasters along with DVD sales etc.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Kvetching on the UK licence, Part I.

Wow. Thanks.

Tres involved, sheer. I've long thought the licence fee should go, but then again, I'm overpaying FIOS for hundreds of channels and probably watching 50, if at that, so what do I know. Looks like the media has its audience over a barrel, here and across the pond.

SO. Those with a television pay a fee, and the BBC gets that fee. Plus they get other monies. Doesn't the BBC also have the kindly ear of those in the government? The Queen, being one, loves her institutions, does she not?

ITV gets money from advertisers, but I'm not understanding. Our networks get gobs of money from advertisers for sensationalistic titillating shows that have no quality, and get rich doing it. Plus they have other avenues of monies.

If ITV isn't profiting from the independent production companies, why do they air their shows? The independent companies are using their airwaves, are they not? Doesn't ITV make deals with the independents.

Which brings me to the grand high poobah of thieves, the cable company. Do UK viewers pay cable companies to see BBC, ITV, and other premium channels, like HBO? I know True Detective made it from HBO to the lovely British Isles, but how are the good people watching it?

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Kvetching on the UK licence, Part II.

SO. Do UK views pay, in no particular order:

--a licencing fee;
--money to the advertisers for the products from the commercials they implant in their brain;
--the cable companies?

Phew. If ONLY I could get rid of cable television, I'd have one less thing to kvetch about. Nah, kvetching makes me happy.

:O)

P.S. The part that used to burn my biscuits (is it still true?) from my convos on British (A&E?) boards long gone was that the gummint could come out to my house and find out how many teevees I had in my imaginary caravan on the beach in the North of England. Again, no different on this side of the pond either.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

There's such a thing as a good old fashioned TV aerial, no need to pay extra for cable: http://www.freeview.co.uk/

Alternatively, if you'd like more channels or live in an area where aerials don't work too well there's freesat: http://www.freesat.co.uk/

Then there's the subscription based services:

Sky: http://www.sky.com/
Virgin Media: http://store.virginmedia.com/digital-tv.html
BT Vision: http://tinyurl.com/n2d6oka

True Detective is on Sky Atlantic which is only available to SKY TV customers.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Ouch, worser and worser!

Not sure I completely understand, so:

--with an aerial, you can only get certain channels here, the UHF or VHF, never remember which. Same there?
--freesat sells a box - but I don't see the satellite dish. How are the channels received?
--worser yet:

Sky, Virgin (same as the plane guy, right?) and BT Vision each have programming that excludes channels from the other?? Do I understand that IF I wanted all the channels available, for whatever reason, I'd have to subscribe to all three? Yipes.

I'm surprised Auntie Beeb hasn't gotten into the monopolistic cable company business that we in the States have with Cablevision and FIOS and Time Warner (soon to be eaten by Comcast). Here the only caveat is the crooked local government that is paid off by the cable companies to be allowed in, so there really is no right to choose if a particular cable company isn't yet in your area. E.G., Westchester only recently allowed in FIOS, where Cablevision held a stranglehold for 32 years.

Hence the popularity of AERO and Netflix and streaming and bless their hearts, Amazon Prime. Sadly, none of these are currently able to cut the heads off the hydra cable companies, but some day, hopefully...........

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

AEREO, sorry.

Edit button.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, sheer. I thought my head spun when I first learned of the licence!

7 years ago

Deedee, I am trying to find out - looked at PBS, but could not find a thing - are we seeing Page Eight T & C this spring? I keep seeing adverts for it after Mr. Selfridge, but they are not saying when it will be aired. I figure it almost has to be - they need to put something on before the summer mystery schedule starts.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

No, Brit, not until the Fall:

http://tellyspotting.org/2014/04/16/bill-nighy-returning-in-the-worricker-trilogy-on-pbs-this-fall/

Good news is that it's the second in a trilogy!

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

I think I now know why people watch American Idol, just renewed for its 20th year, or something amazingly stupid.

Brit, you've said this many times.

It is taking a concerted effort to get through Whitechapel. Sounds silly, I know. If not for Phil Davis and the very good production values, I wouldn't try. But it is gruesome, downright gruesome. And of COURSE the victims are women, naturally.

I know I've asked before, but what is going on in television? Here and across the pond? If it's not the soapy D/A or Mister Selfridge, it's dark, gruesome shows like this one and the utterly awful Wallender with the eviscerated cat. What in the holy heck happened to shows like Morse and Poirot and Frost? Cracker was dark, but I sure don't remember gruesome. Yes, when Penhaligon was raped, I thought that was as low as a show could go - but I was wrong.

It's obvious the writers are good, and there is money to be spent on production - why the need to be gruesome. Does the 18-49 year old demographic REALLY appreciate gore that much?

I'm at a loss.

I'm not ready for the mindless American Idol yet, but possibly one of these days?

Nah.

7 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.