TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
guru
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments

So sorry to hear this... how I enjoyed their show. One of the cooking channels was re-running the episodes a few years ago and it was as fresh and fun as the first time it was aired. A classic! It was hard losing Jennifer and I tried to keep up with Clarissa through the years. RIP Clarissa.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Awww, so sad to hear about Clarissa. She had quite a life, and it ended too soon. I can't say I'd ever make any of their dishes, but I enjoyed watching them. I still have their Christmas episodes on tape around here somewhere.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Recommendation for those who watch teevee online and have Amazon Prime:

Alpha House

starring John Goodman and that delicious Clark Johnson, he of the porkpie hat in Homicide and outstanding director of many television shows, notably Treme and The Wire.

Plus, so far there are no tails - I still can't believe Orphan Black ruined quite a good show with that moronic add-on.

In addition, if you want to follow where Amazon is going in terms of media projects, see here. I happened upon this url by accident, and it seems Amazon is the new Lee Strasberg - scripts, indie videos, teevee pilots, you name it. Brilliant. As always, I hope Amazon takes over the world and puts cable out of business.

http://studios.amazon.com/series?page=1&sort=title_asc

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Sad - last episode of Alun Armstrong in New Tricks last night, apparently. Glad I don't tune in anymore, I caught a bit and man, was it sad. Soon Amanda Redman will leave and then it's the Dennis and Denis show. Ick.

What's the deal with Acorn Online charging to watch their shows? WLIW offered a year of viewing of Acorn's Brit shows for a donation to their station. Yeah, right.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, episode of The Cafe on last night where Sarah met Jason. BTW, she had much more chemistry with him.

I couldn't watch it, but had a thought - if she plans on staying in Weston-super-Mare after she's stolen Richard from Ava, well - how will she? Won't she always be the woman who stole another woman's man at the altar and if she forgets, won't Ava be there to remind her (although she's well rid of him)? And if she does have to move away, wouldn't she have been better off in London with John, who was nice to his Mum and a thousand times hotter than Richard? Sheesh, I hate what they did to this show.

And laters, there was an episode of Republic of Doyle. Interesting show, gorgeous locale, and nice to see a much weather-worn Nicholas Campbell. Wasn't he a prat, just? It was apparently his introductory episode, lucky me, since it came on at 2:00am!

Wonder how much a caravan on the beach in Newfoundland (bet it gets cold there, though?) goes for? :O)

7 years ago

Ava is and always will be the "new girl", even if she stole Richard away, WSM would stand by her.
She would have been better of in London with John - that was the relationship for her. She carried a torch for him during high school and the spark was still there when they met again. The problem is, he left her and went back to his girlfriend in London, who he married. It was after this that she turned her eye to Richard. Have not been watching the last few weeks, I can't watch the ending again.

You caught the Republic of Doyle! I have been watching every week. So good to see NC, wasn't it. He was a prat... I was surprised to see him play a sleazy character. He was on last week as well, which was his farewell episode - he was great in that one. He is in the first two years of the show, but not every episode, he comes and goes.

They seem to be going out of sequence, where for awhile, they were showing the episodes as originally aired. The show can border on silly at times and I have seen some really bad episodes, but when Nicholas is on the screen, I am at full attention.

Don't you like all the color? Love the houses and doors all bright and contrasting. Helps counter-balance the austere environment. Seems like an interesting place to visit, but I think it might be a little to cold for a caravan on the beach. No fun if you turn into a popsicle. :)

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

I love the color. Reminds me of the houses in the Caribbean. I wish whatever station it was that is showing RofD episodes would show them at a more hospitable hour, I'm sure they can do without a bullit mixer infomercial for a year or two.

Can you believe MUD is available on Amazon Prime? I love it, they scooped FIOS, and in case FIOS is reading here, I hope Amazon puts you out of business. I know you liked MUD, kezzam99 (miss you! still need to know what you thought of the TD finale, disappointing wasn't it?), and I'm looking forward to watching it after I finish with the very excellent Alpha House.

Can anyone stomach Shameless? I can't.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Alpha House on Amazon Prime - anyone watching? No?

Excellent - storyline, characterization, pace, all of it, excellent. Hope it can keep it up in Season Two.

Wave of the future and I for one am happy.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Rats, reached the end of Alpha House. Excellent, Goodman and Johnson et al are outstanding. I highly recommend it. Mud is next!

Father Brown - wasn't bad. Mrs. Tishel and some other actor who's been everywhere as nuns! Sad outcome, nuns were to blame. No surprise (to me at least) there.

Scott and Bailey - season one finale, still engaging. Let's hope Bailey isn't as stupid next season, which happily WLIW bought and is starting next week. Graves was a very good prat. Ended on a very nice (for a change) female friendly basis.

7 years ago

Testing... hoping this will post, haven't been able to for days - keep getting server error messages. Deedee, the channel I watch The Republic of Doyle is WFMZD. Still enjoying Scott and Bailey, good for you, I could not make it past the first episode. Just not my cup of tea.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Yea, you're back in Brit! Now you must catch up.............................. :O)

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Mud - good so far. MM eating Beenie Weenies, priceless.

That man can read the phone book, as far as I am concerned.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Mud - still good - a mix of Stand By Me (who would believe that was Will Wheaton from Big Bang Theory?) and Deliverance and Great Expectations.

Anyone who likes MM should catch it. It's better than Magic Mike and Killer Joe, but not as good as True Detective. Here's hoping Amazon Prime gets their hands on Wolf of Wall Street and Dallas Buyer's Club real soon.

Perk of watching a movie on AP - unlike stupid FIOS, Amazon Prime holds the picture when you click on pause for however long you go away. FIOS does no such thing.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Good, real good, you were right kezzam99. Thanks for the pointer.

Didja notice, MM had some serious dental work done since that movie?

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, didja see this? I know you liked this board:

A Message to ReadersTWOP will cease operations on April 4, but our forums will remain open till May 31. Thank you for your support over the years.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

A community service post.

For anyone who uses You Tube to listen to videos, and likes to hear the same song play over and over. I used to type in 'repeat' between you and tube, or some variation thereof, but they did away with it. I now go here:

http://www.listenonrepeat.com/

Until they do away with it. Or delete the songs that I like.

Too bad they did away with Napster. Or the one that came after. Not that I ever used it. Oh no, not me.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, solar, google Television Without Pity and behold all those who have come to praise TWOP and bury the dictatorial moderators!

Even The New Yorker - yes, The New Yorker!

As I thought, NBC (as ABC did it before them with the A&E board and PBS with the PBS board) wants nothing more to do with message boards.

Cue the song from The Killers (and Dragnet of course) - Dum-da-dum-dum.

7 years ago

Deedee, Did you catch Republic of Doyle last night? Nicolas Campbell had a good amount of screen time in this one and his character, Martin Poole, was in rare form.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

No - the only station I found it on plays it at 2:00am and I won't give in to a DVR.

As haggard as he looks, I think he's still yummy. I may have to put this on my Amazon Prime list.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Former Dynasty star Kate O'Mara has died at the age of 74, her agent said.

The actress was best known for playing Alexis Colby's scheming sister Cassandra ''Caress'' Morrell in the US soap in the mid 1980s, along with roles in British series Doctor Who, Howards' Way and Triangle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/10732726/Former-Dynasty-actress-Kate-OMara-dies-at-74.html

7 years ago
soler
guru

dee
Brit, solar, google Television Without Pity and behold all those who have come to praise TWOP and bury the dictatorial moderators!

dee this indicates the wolf is at the door again . I had mentioned when we first came here that we should pick a ' go to site ' so we don't get caught again . But , this is not a plan that would work , I can see that now. Why is this trend happening , all these Forums closing down , do they want to shove us all on Twitter , Facebook. ???? TVOP had a nice little colony going and we know first hand what they are faced with. What about this site ............ are we gonna see a count down as well. ???

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Yup, more than a few of us feel the same way, solar. NOW what, where do we go?

NBC Universal (who ruled TWOP) is behind Hulu and this place too, and while this place is excellent, it ain't exactly a hot spot of discussion. So, if TWOP can go, you KNOW this place's days are numbered. NBC - watch anything on there lately? :O)

Why is this trend happening, all these Forums closing down, do they want to shove us all on Twitter,Facebook.

Yes, yes and yes. Apparently (I would love to know the costs, less than a lunch in the executive dining room I bet) the price is too high to keep these message boards open, and yes, Facebook and Twitter, those lovely privacy invading spots where Zuckerberg shoves 'recommendations' down your throat whether you want them or not, and Twitter? 140 characters or else. Else, of course, is breaking up your message into many messages, I've done it, it works, and most companies don't even pay attention to email anymore, they rely solely on Twitter. I kid you not - try calling or emailing Verizon Support about FIOS - but Tweet them, and they are right there for you.

What about this site ............ are we gonna see a count down as well. ???

In my opinion and that of a few others - yes. But, the $64 question - where do we go?

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

BTW, whilst we are thinking in a proactive manner, and if you have Showtime and like your English actors old, as I do, catch The Quartet on Showtime on Friday the 4th at 11:30am. I've seen parts of it twice now, and those I saw were outstanding.

Just look at the lineup!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441951/

7 years ago
soler
guru

What about this site ............ are we gonna see a count down as well. ???

In my opinion and that of a few others - yes. But, the $64 question - where do we go?

........ like deer caught in head lights

dee will look for this show , reminds me of ' Waiting for God '. in a way .

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Yes, good comparison, solar! I loved Waiting for God, sad that Graham is gone. And who knew that was Auntie Joan?

Yes, same feel, Tom Courtenay (wasn't Billy Liar just yesterday?) in the woods yelling at the admin woman for not giving him orange marmalade is priceless. His expletives would make Billy Connolly blush. Well, almost.

And if you watch Vicar of Dibley, that is the yes, yes, yes, no guy.

Dame Maggie and Pauline Collins are also a treat.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I saw The Quartet a few months ago and found it to be a lovely show. The cast is top notch, and it's always a pleasure watching these veteran actors show how acting should be done.

Sorry to hear TWOP is closing their message boards. I don't go there often but have breezed by occasionally. OK, I have a thought, but you all must promise not to laugh too loudly or get insulted. OK? Here goes. How about the AARP message boards? I started thinking, who might be tempted to keep their message boards, and I thought, how about looking for a site designed for the more mature poster? I did a quick check over there, and it appears as if they have a community section with message boards. I even saw a couple of posts about last night's Call the Midwife and Mr. Selfridge. It doesn't say you have to be an AARP member, and signup looks simple. Here is a link to their entertainment and leisure boards http://community.aarp.org/t5/Entertainment-Leisure/ct-p/EntertainmentandLeisure if anyone wants to check it out. It's just a thought, maybe a backup in case this site should suddenly close the doors.

Laters!

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Proactive thinking, carla. Since it's not owned by NBC Universal (yay!) nor devoted to teeney bopper reality programming, they will probably keep it open. Especially since they need a place for seniors not versed with Facebook or Twitter and the like. And they suffer discussions about television? Sounds good. I'll take a look.

Now that you mention seniors (hey, that's right, I AM old!), I forgot about Seniors and Friends. I used to post there, but left because of all the political discussions on which I didn't agree. I'll take a look to see if there is a place for entertainment discussions, and report back.

I'm back - yes, it looks like there is room to create a discussion, if General Discussion doesn't suit everyone. Here is their link:

http://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?action=forum

7 years ago

I am not laughing Carla! I think it is wise to be proactive. I also found an interesting site, I need to do a little more research and if it has possibilities, I will send the link to you all. I will check out both of your suggestions.

I would like to see The Quartet, I read about it on AmazonUK awhile ago, but I did not want to buy the DVD without seeing it first. I do not have Showtime and there is nothing but promo's on "The Tube" so, I will have to wait. I will check the library.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Question - why is the General Discussion thread harder to reach and why does it default to page one rather than the latest page?

NBC Universal, you spying on us?

carla, AARP looks good. I just reregistered at Seniors and Friends and will ask if they are open to an entertainment thread. They can't hold the fact that I'm a liberal against me, can they? :O)

Remember, folks, we need to stay ahead of the axe this time.

7 years ago
donny24
expert

To the members who love British mysteries and sitcoms:
Have any of you, by any chance, seen Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt's series on TV or movies? I think her first book on the series-"The Cater Street Hangman" was done as a movie with Johnnie Depp if I am not mistaken. I love the series and I would like it to be presented as a series-they have Agatha Christie's, P.D James's, and other writers-Anne Perry's vivid description of the Victorian era would be superb- and the depiction of society's life, sins, prejudices would be great.
Also, I would like to know-how many seasons does "Death in Paradise" have? I started watching the show in PBS but stopped and now it returned again-this one was the murder of Miller, which of course I have never expected in my life-the death of one of the principal characters. I will appreciate your input. Thanks.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

donny, I have not seen any Perry or Pitt series, but I do know this is the third season of Death In Paradise. I too stopped watching, and only saw a few episodes from the second season.

Last I read, Miller found the heat unbearable, and that was the reason for his leaving the show. I am enjoying Marshall as the new DI.

I remember one of the first shows where I was shocked at them killing off a major character (at his request) - David Caruson in NYPD Blue, who went on to an unremarkable movie career.

7 years ago
donny24
expert

Thanks, deedee. As tp DIP, I liked Marshall better than Miller. Miller was a good detective but was very serious-this new one seems a little bit more humorous. BTW, I am from the Caribbean and really it is hot, hot , hot , you feel you are burning, and very, very uncomfortable. You have to spend like 3 to 4 years in order to get used to the heat-so Miller could not deal with the heat. Let's see Marshall- if he is not careful-he will look like a lobster-red all over.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Fascinating, thanks donny. Uh oh, so as gorgeous as it appears, it really is that hot and there is no A/C.

Uh oh, so it's not my dream locale! I burn if I walk to my car in August, so I wouldn't do well. But that beach - oh that beach!

Well, at least Marshall took off his tie!

7 years ago

I have not seen this series and I need to. I did not hear great things when it was first aired and since I do not have access through my local PBS, I did not bother to pursue it. I am going to check and see if I can find an episode or two on "The Tube" to get a feel for it.
That is interesting Donny 24, I would not have understood how the heat could effect the actors, or production for that matter, without your explanation as I have never been there.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

If you read this article ( 4 paragraphs down) Ben Miller also states that it was mainly for family reasons that he left Death in Paradise : http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-01-14/ben-miller-death-in-paradise-is-the-best-job-in-tv

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, sheer. Here's another guy who didn't like Miller:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/feb/11/death-in-paradise-how-viewers

Speaking of the BBC and their licence, which I still can't figure out since people also pay their cable companies for the privilege of watching teevee, am I correct?

Caught the second one late yesterday, and it's much the same. I've decided the actor playing Camille can't act, the other two guys are okay, and Marshall is much better. But yes, the series is silly fluff, MSW kind of stuff, and the local shots are worth the price of admission.

Oh, and on the licence, apparently Bruce Forsyth, the host of Strictly Come Dancing has stepped down, AT THE AGE OF 86! Similar to Bob Barker, the host of The Price Is Right in the U.S., who stepped down at the age of 150, or thereabouts. I find that interesting, don't you? Can you just picture a WOMAN being allowed to host a show at that age, and in the case of Forsyth, to inappropriately grope his much too young dance partner. Ick, and ick.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/apr/04/bruce-forsyth-steps-down-strictly-come-dancing

At any rate, off my feminism soapbox, the BBC News (is anything not owned by the BBC?) said this show and the X Factor, with the equally insufferable (okay, you caught me, I'm never off my feminism soapbox) Simon Cowell, are big draws for the BBC and the raison d'entre of their licence fee. Interesting stuff. As I said, I don't get it.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Tv scriptwriter, Bob Larbey who co-created 'The Good Life' starring the late Richard Briers and Felicity Kendal has died age 79: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10745110/Bob-Larbey-obituary.html

Larbey's other credits include:

As Time Goes By
Mulberry
On the Up
Hope it Rains
Ever Decreasing Circles
A Fine Romance

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0488013/

7 years ago

Oh, Sheerwater, I am so sorry to hear this. I am such a Bob Larbey fan. On the UP, My Good Friend, As Time Goes By, Mulberry and Good Neighbors are all on the top of my list of favorites. He will be greatly missed by so many. RIP Mr. Larbey

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

No, not Bob Larbey. I am so very sorry to hear this. I loved his writing and considered him one of my all-time favorite TV writers. Strangely, last night I began watching the series The Darling Buds of May and was surprised and thrilled to see the first episode was written by Bob Larbey. So very, very sad.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Richard Briers just last year, and Bob Larbey now. Sad.

If memory serves, I think Larbey was on a very good PBS special which featured writers of UK shows.

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

On another 'cheerful' note, Fawlty Towers actress, Prunella Scales is suffering from 'a sort of mild Alzheimers' as disclosed by her husband Timothy West:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10673583/Prunella-Scales-suffering-a-sort-of-mild-Alzheimers.html

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Observations:

DIP is better with Marshall, but Camille is not a very good actor and detracts from the scenes she is in. The beach scenes and the gecko are the best things about the show.

A new show on WLIW, Spy, is awwwful. Some dolt is mistakenly enlisted into MI5 by Robert Lindsay, older and with a very odd hairline. It lasted only two seasons, so I'm not alone.

Quartet - delightful and marvelous. The home for old musicians is lovely, I wouldn't mind staying in a similar home for old misanthropes. Connolly was especially good, and gave whimsey to his usual DOM. Courtenay and Collins and Smith were excellent, as old pros should be. Not a sign of slicing and dicing amongst them, which is nice. Fun addition - Manuel from Fawlty Towers. Oh, and the old musicians were really old musicians. Nice directorial debut by Dustin Hoffman, what an interesting choice. Such respect was shown to the oldsters, unlike so many garbage movies of today.

Anyone catching up on Veep? New one tonight, if this season is as good as the others, kudos to Armando Iannucci (brilliant writer, the expletives alone are worth the price of admission) et al.

7 years ago
scorpiogirl

O.k., why on the little couple, does this man, compare his wife goin through cancer, saying "she makes navy seals look like girls".? Is he stupid? she has cancer!, she's not out there, serving our country? having people shoot at her? or, living in danger every second of her life?
I thought that comment was TOTALLLY uncalled for! He should have to apologize publically for that Comment!

Sincerely,
Very pissed off!!!

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, yes, I saw that excellent special about the writers. I think that's the one hosted by Philip Bretherton (Alistair, ATGB) and Moira Brooker (Judith, ATGB). I believe Bob Larbey was talking about how sad he was that Mulberry didn't have the proper ending he wanted.

Sorry to hear that about Prunella Scales. Thanks for the info., Sheerwater.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Ohhhhhh........that was Bob Larbey? Such a nice guy, and I so felt for him when he described the ending that he wanted Mulberry to have. What a very unique show was Mulberry.

Thanks, carla, all the Brit stuff starts to swirl around in my head after awhile! And there's already more stuff in there than you can shake a stick at, whatever that means!

Brit, there was a travelogue show with a young woman on WLIW where she visited various locales in Scotland, the isle of Skye natch, and another remote island where she hiked up a hill(?) with a man who had spent three years hiking up all these hills(?). They had another name that I can't recall, hence the question marks.

Scotland appears to be the grey, rainy, desolate land with locales on water that so appeals to me. I must get there some day.

7 years ago
donny24
expert

Deedee, do you believe in reincarnation? I do. Because I was born in a tropical island and since I was a kid I just dreamed of places full of snow like New York. The first time I went to Boston, I felt that I was home. Also, my preferences in terms of books, movies, series are those made in UK-England. I think that it's why when I first read the first book of Agatha Christie, I just had to read them all, the same with Anne Perry, PD James and others. I first got hooked to British sitcoms with "Are you being served", "Keeping Up Appearances" Mr.Bean. and others. To be honest, I can't stand anything from the country I was born but anything from England and USA.

7 years ago

Sheer, thanks for the info, I heard about Prunella Scales... many of our favorites are getting up there in age and life is getting the best of them. I am sorry to hear about her health. And, I am still feeling so bad about Bob Larbey...

Deedee, I was thinking of that same moment, the one captured in the PBS special - and what came to me today - this lovely piece on Mr. Larbey with the PBS video of him telling us all about the ending of Mulberry. It is endearing and says so much about him as a person and a writer. Brings a tear to the eye. I am posting it here for everyone who is a fan of his - this is a keeper...

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001438/rip_top_sitcom_writer_bob_larbey/

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

since I was a kid I just dreamed of places full of snow like New York.

Oh my, how funny, donny. You would have LOVED our February - as I shared, I am old, and I have never seen (although hubby says I am wrong) the frequency of snow storms we had. Now, as a kid (you would have loved it) we used to have snow high enough to build 'forts' into which we crawled, but this year, we got one and then another and then another and then another.............well, you get the idea..............snow storm. We're all reeling and like a chained dog being let free, we are filled with glee at the warmer weather.

Mind you, we're also cynics, so no doubt we'll soon be complaining about the heat!

I too love the UK television, it is no exaggeration when I say when PBS has pledge weeks and interrupts their programming, I watch nothing except for a few old sitcom reruns.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Ack, that's the one Brit. I must save it, I would get too choked up if I played it now.

Is that Penelope Keith?! Wow. Felicity Kendal must have a painting in her attic.*

Thanks for that, Brit.

*Oops, NM. She's gone under the knife......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2325582/Felicity-Kendal-tells-just-naughty--Richard-Briers-right-strange-.html

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Bumping up this board. Clicking on it didn't bring it up, I had to go hunting. What's going on?

7 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.