TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments
deedee713
guru

Brit, was it you who has seen Father Brown and Scott and Bailey? Father Brown was too twee for me, but Scott and Bailey is very good. Rupert Graves is a prat, and the women (I'm sure it was no coincidence) are an English version of Cagney and Lacey. Very nicely done, with a crackerjack woman ma'am (title of head copper, yes?).

6 years ago

Deedee, I think that was Carla. I got through the first few episodes of Scott and Bailey and gave up on it. The ladies were getting on my nerves. I'll give it another try if you think it is worth it.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Not sure yet, Brit. I've only seen one episode.

What annoyed you?

BTW, I'm re-watching Sherlock on Prime, and with a different perspective, it's not a bad show. I can see why lots of posters and critics didn't like this past season, as compared to the first two. And if Moffat is lying about Moriarty, he's a jerk.

What is a show-runner, again?

The True Detective show-runner, Nic Pizzolatto, has a nice article in The Daily Beast.

6 years ago

It seemed more soap opera than detective story to me, I quickly tired of the rotten boyfriend story and the need for revenge. Usually, I like the personal stuff; family, love life, etc., not in this case, too much too early... I didn't warm up to either character, which is more than likely the main reason.

Show-runner? I have no clue what that is, I haven't heard the tem used before.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, twee is a good description of the new Father Brown. I watched it for the scenery because the characters they concocted for this new series, except for Father Brown, grated on me some. They were just so fake. But the scenery is lovely English village.

From what I understand, a show-runner is someone who oversees a show from top to bottom. The show is their vision.

We haven't gotten Scott and Bailey here, but from what you say Brit, it doesn't sound like something I'll like.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit is right, carla. When at the office, Scott and Bailey are competent and clever. But one of the women was wronged by Graves, and she acts more than a bit looney. I can understand searing hate at being had, but she does go a bit far.

Right now, I'm enjoying the interplay between the two women and their boss. The characters are especially well drawn in the interview room. I'll give it more time, if Scott/Bailey doesn't get her act together, they've ruined a good show.

Yes, the Father Brown scenery is nice, although I prefer bleak and grey and dark and isolated and on the water, a la Vera. Those strawberry scones, though - hoo boy with cream cheese in the middle (jam first, cream cheese first?) - looked yummy.

Sounds about right, carla, the show-runner for Dexter went on the air with the talking heads to push his (drek) show, as is Moffat with Sherlock and Nic for True Detectives. I'm assuming a show-runner is a promotional title for a writer, as he/she (quick, name a female show-runner) seems to be in charge of a stable of writers.

6 years ago

From what I understand, a show-runner is someone who oversees a show from top to bottom. The show is their vision.

My new dream job...I want to be a show-runner! I have a vision, I just need someone to give me a show to run! :)

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Anyone with Amazon Prime? Watch this, you won't be sorry:

http://tinyurl.com/mv2vj3w

VERY adult, btw.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

As good but different, in the dramatic pilot category: Bosch, with many familiar cop and court show faces. The ME, in particular, is someone from a legal show, much aged, I believe.

The protagonist's full name is Hieronymus Bosch, after the novels, after the artist (a favorite of mine) of course. The pilot ended on a cliffhanger, and if it isn't picked up by Amazon, I guess I will never find out more.

Interesting, to me at least, is the fact that Jeff Bezos is putting money into television shows to compete with cable television, which I am THRILLED about. Here's something I bet you didn't know: Bezos owns IMDb. Hah! Good for him.

BTW, I sent Transparent to someone and it is apparently even more adult than I found it.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Another good Scott and Bailey.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Bless Adblock Plus' heart. Having finally found the filter, I am able to block the adverts on the side panels.

Now, about that edit button?

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Well, I'll be. It doesn't hold if you shut down and reopen the site. Oh well.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

If you have Amazon Prime and are undecided about which pilots to watch, this might help. It contains SPOILERS, so watch Transparent before you read the article.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/02/jill-soloway-on-her-amazon-pilot-transparent.html

And watch Bosch. But please, in the name of all that is time-wasting mind numbingly stupendously stupid, don't waste your time and the use of your eyeballs on The After. Chris Carter has obviously had a lobotomy since The X-Files.

Still don't believe me? Don't say I didn't warn you!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Anyone familiar with the Red Riding Trilogy?

It is very tough to watch, and one of the pay channels shows it out of order, which doesn't help. The very excellent Paddy Considine stars, as does Fat Andy aka Warren Clarke, who so excels at playing a nasty piece of work. Oh, and Carson from D/A plays a big'un. Lots of familiar faces from across the pond.

If you see it flash by, catch it. I still haven't been able to sit through the two segments being shown, it's that brutal. Here's a bit on it (spoilers, natch):

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/red-riding-trilogy-2010

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Scratch that re the Red Riding Trilogy (wish I had a delete key) - I just read the entire synopsis on Wikipedia, and it's too TOO gritty, even for me. If you like your shows dark and gritty and ugly, sounds like this one is for you!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Who am I kidding? I had to look. A tough watch.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Sorry, if there were an edit button, I would have added to one post. Apparently this was a big deal when it was released, and IFC, before it was a tripe station, was involved.

I hope Yorkshire isn't really as depicted, after all, it was the home of James Herriott, was it not?!

http://www.ifcfilms.com/films/the-red-riding-trilogy

Evil. Good description of what is displayed. Suffocating evil. Although, interestingly, not as gripping as True Detective.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Evil, captured on film. Couldn't even watch RR 1983 in one sitting.

The evil was of no surprise to me whatsoever.

Mark Eddy is an excellent actor. Didn't he fake an American accent in some horrible American show?

I now know why TD is more watchable than RR, even though the RRs are, in total, very good indeed.

As I said just by reading the synopses, if dark and ugly and gritty - and an excellently done trilogy that does, however, suspend disbelief at times - is your cupper, this one is for you.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, I think I'll skip RR. It sounds too rough for me. Mark Addy was in a sitcom with Jami Gertz called Still Standing. I watched it when it first aired, I admit it . It's fluff, not a great comedy, but pleasant enough for those times when you want something short and light. To his credit, I didn't realize Mark Addy was British until I saw him in The Full Monty. His American accent reminds me of John Mahoney's of Frasier, sort of a grrrr kind of growl, if that makes sense. I was surprised when discovering Mahoney was British.

I've been watching Dalziel & Pascoe season 7 which is new at Netflix now. We kept saying one of the guest stars was so familiar but couldn't figure out exactly where we had seen her. Turns out it was Maxine Peake from Silk. Andy is getting nicer, and I miss the crude Andy of old. Oh, and Pascoe's mother is played by Susan Jameson, James Bolam's wife. I just thought that was neat.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Oh, I watched Still Standing too, and like Jami from 'spare a square' in Seinfeld. Must be another sitcom I'm thinking of. Mahoney has a British accent? Wow.

Interesting, Peake was in Red Riding, sorry part they gave her. Didn't know it was her until I looked her up, they made her dumpy. I kinda sorta liked Silk, but then again, I'm always starving for UK shows. I KNOW, didn't you like the unkempt bollocks Fat Andy? What were they thinking when they cleaned him up?

Don't you get a kick out of the round robin these wonderful actors play in UK shows? Usually ends up with me straining at the end to read the credits or googling as quickly as I can, since I usually never know their names. As with Mark Addy, I'm also usually impressed at their talent, which cannot be said of American actors to the same extent. Now, these young people can't have honed their skills on the stage, as the oldun's did, so what is the explanation for their (again, to large extent) talent?

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, yes, I get a kick out of watching the UK actors go from show to show. I posted about Susan Jameson being on an D&P episode as Pascoe's mother, and who was on the next episode but James Bolam playing a priest.

Tonight I saw another D&P episode from series 7 and was so pleased to see Andy give a crude little scratch just like in the early episodes. :D :D It doesn't take much to make me happy, does it?

I'm off again traveling in a couple of days, so I won't be able to weigh in on the last Downton Abbey episode until more than a week from now. Talk to you all soon!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, carla - enjoy your trip!

I'll be obsessing on my newest obsession - True Detective and MM....... :O)

6 years ago

Have a good trip, Carla! Look forward to hearing from you when you get back.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Anyone else getting logged out every-time you close the window? >:(

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks Brit and Deedee! A week without my British shows -- how will I stand it??? I'm crossing my fingers there will be some good PBS channels out there so I can get my fix. :)

Deedee, so far, the only time I get logged out is when I don't click the box to remember me at signin.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Anyone catch last night or have seen Father Brown with the Nazi? Very nice episode, these shows are growing on me. Or is it Hugo Speer - cool drink of water is that guy.

Scott and Bailey is beginning to grate - yeah, we get it, pillow talk is a serious breach, but as good a copper as she (Scott, Bailey?) is, cut her some slack, no?

And Mrs. Rupert Graves? Be glad you're rid of the bum.

Dial back the soap, PTB, and keep to the mysteries. The three female leads are crackerjack, and I want the apartment that Graves kept as his pied-a-terre.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Did everyone note that Lewis is coming back? Interesting, since both lead characters said, well, hi de ho!

Guess money talks and nobody walks and if it ain't dead, it can be resurrected.

I'm pleased, as long as they don't muck things up. Lewis was a bit twee last we saw him, and I don't like twee.

6 years ago

More Agatha Christie to come from the BBC.

http://www.agathachristie.com/news/article/new-tv-adaptations

6 years ago
donny24
expert

Thanks, britmystery for the update. I haven't seen a TV adaptation of Agatha's work for a long time. It will be great to see one of my favorite works from her -"And then, there were none"..

6 years ago

Your welcome, Donny24. As the article says, "And then, there were none" is the darkest of AC's work, but the book holds your attention from start to finish - there is not a moment the reader is not absorbed. I hope the new adaption is not so scary that I am covering my eyes and hiding in my blanket as I watch! :)

6 years ago

Brit, something tells me I would enjoy this. Sort of J&W with the gloves off.

Of course it will be forever before we get it here, if we get it at all. Meanwhile I shall research our library for the books. That too is a long shot!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

For anyone who likes teevee and has time on their hands and is intrigued with the idea of having a say (of course it's only a pretense, since it's all about show me the money) in what goes beyond the pilot, you only have this weekend to watch and weigh in on these cool Amazon online pilots.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/03/you-have-three-days-to-watch-the-amazon-pilots.html

I found Transparent and Bosch to be the best of the lot, found The After to be stupider than stupid (can't remember why anymore, I blocked it out), and wasn't in the least interested in the Mozart and Rebel shows.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Season finale of Episodes - ahhhh, a finale that made me smile, without getting squicked out.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, glad to know the season finale of Episodes was a good one. I don't get the pay channel it is on (Showtime?), so I have to wait for the DVDs on Netflix.

I've been watching season 3 of Vera thanks to Netflix. Can you believe my PBS has never aired this marvelous program? Disc 3 is in the mail to me now. Can't wait! It's been a very good season.

Now, if only I can get the new Murdoch Mysteries 6 and the new Midsomer episodes coming out, and I'll be set. George Gently should be coming out very soon too.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Isn't Vera excellent, carla? No cleaning her up (yet) as they did to Fat Andy. I hope they leave her personality intact, she's perfect as she is.

Still waiting for the seemingly interminable pledge weeks to end. I'm always amazed how much PBS I watch when I realize it isn't there for me. There is zero on television for me during the week on network or cable. I guess it makes business sense, but the pay channels schedule all their hit shows on the weekend.

Gently was another excellent show, hope PBS has it programmed this year.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Orphan Black, interesting show. Think I'm getting into this Amazon Prime TV stuff, no waiting a full week to see the next installment, they can be paused and I can hop to other windows.

Cool, is technology.

6 years ago

Carla, I have not seen Season 3 of Vera yet. Let me know what you think after you view it. I am with you, I do not know how PBS let this one pass them by. What a stellar show! It is my favorite of all the new (newer) detective series. It is hard to beat.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

carla, Brit, it's odd that WLIW PBS runs Vera, whilst WNET and WJN do not. Exactly right, Brit, it's a stellar show.

Not so Orphan Black, I'm afraid. Whereas BBC America did their homework with Broadchurch, I'm not thrilled with OB. It's very good, technically brilliant (see the link), the acting is very good, but it's missing........something. I'm not sure what. It does not lend itself to obsession or nonstop message board perching, that's a fact.

Happily, after the brain fever that was True Detective, I am actually glad. Glad too that Amazon Prime is running the series, I wouldn't in a million years put up with commercials on BBC On Demand, and it's nice to stop it at the stupid points and wander off. Kudos to Amazon, I think they're brillig.

http://io9.com/orphan-black-reveals-how-it-can-film-three-tatiana-masl-898101511

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Anyone else like Jonathan Creek? I just found a copy of the last two Jonathan Creek specials, The Grinning Man and The Judas Tree. They haven't been available before here in the US, but something told me to check the library and sure enough, they now have a DVD with the Jonathan Creek specials. They were both very good, better than some of the later episodes. Now I see they have made a new series after these specials, but from what I can see, sadly they changed the formula. Maybe we'll get those over here, and I'm hoping it doesn't take as long as these last two specials.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

One more Vera to go in series 3 for me. The first three were excellent. I'm very glad to see they are maintaining the quality, and as Deedee says, not cleaning her up. Netflix is making me wait a little for the final episode, but that's OK, it's like having to wait for Christmas to unwrap your present.

6 years ago

Carla, look at the 'Tube..., you may find what you are looking for. The Specials are there as well. The series sounds a little to spooky for me and having just finished True Detective, I need bit of a break from haunting tales for awhile. I'm on overload.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Naught to do with TV, but I twigged at the city: Weston-super-Mare.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/14/teachers-life-inside-the-exam-factory

Seems even in this idyllic city by the sea, all is not 'laters' and dancing in the streets!

P.S. Anyone else think the illustrator borrowed heavily from Pink Floyd/Monty Python?

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, I'm now having the same problems you were with the site logging me out. Maybe it's Firefox. Anyway, about your article, it's a crying shame that the education system over there is just as mixed up as ours is here. Children should be able to enjoy learning, because you always learn more when you have fun with it. I pity today's teachers and what they have to endure. Individuality doesn't seem to be valued anymore. And yes, I can see lots of Monty Python's Terry Gilliam's style in the drawing.

Brit, Jonathan Creek isn't as spooky as it may appear. The main characters are played by comedians Alan Davies and Caroline Quentin. She was Martin Clunes' main squeeze in Men Behaving Badly and later starred in another good detective drama, Blue Murder. Quentin was replaced later in the series, I believe because of scheduling issues. The show is fun, imaginative, and light. The stories are written by David Renwick who also wrote One Foot in the Grave. There are some of the usual good guest stars we see on other shows. Maybe one day when you're in mood for something completely different you'll check it out, but I would begin at the beginning if possible.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Last things first - One Foot in the Grave looks good, the older woman was the assistant to Ross' girlfriend (I don't know names!) in Unsuitable Job For A Woman. I simply love that these wonderful actors have no names but all the talent in the world and Tom Cruise has a giant name and the talent of a block of wood. I thought your show was the wonderful one with two people meeting in a nursing home, but I can't think of the name of the show nor the actors so I can't even Google it. ACK!

I had the login problem again today too, carla, but gave up on reporting it. So I logged out, shut down, opened up, logged in, checked remember me, and now it's working again. Super glitch.

Ahem, as I said ages ago, this site needs a major overhaul, for which Hulu can well afford to pay.

Re the article, interesting (and disheartening) ain't it? Hope they can retire with a pension and medical and get a flat on the water in that gorgeous town. I'd take a caravan on the water, no problem, and have breakfast at The Cafe........... :O)

Laters!

6 years ago
sheerwater
regular

"I thought your show was the wonderful one with two people meeting in a nursing home, but I can't think of the name of the show nor the actors so I can't even Google it. ACK!"

Are you thinking of Waiting for God, starring Stephanie Cole and the late Graham Crowden ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098945/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/waitingforgod/

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Yes! Thanks, sheer.

Lovely little show, the kind that is done so well across the pond.

Sorry to read Graham Crowden died. Totally forgot the female lead was Stephanie Cole. She looks better now in Doc Martin than she did then!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/waitingforgod/

Retired photojournalist Diana Trent finds herself in Bayview Retirement Home and is pretty damn angry about it - as she is about virtually everything.

A woman after my own heart.

6 years ago
sheerwater
regular

I seem to recall someone mentioning on one of our former homes that they used to watch the Two Fat Ladies cookery programme. In which case you may be sad to hear that the other half of the duo has now passed away:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/clarissa-dickson-wright-dead-two-3251754

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Rats. Thanks, sheer. Oh yes, Two Fat Ladies was a wonderful finger up the nose to Martha Stewart.

All kinds of bad food, ciggies and booze shared by the two wonderful hosts, and a bollocks to the wall approach to food shows.

And only 66? Well, the Martha Stewart and earthy crunchy healthy cooking show hosts that I wouldn't watch in a million years might live longer than 66 years, but they won't have as much fun or create as many enjoyable memories for their audience as Clarissa and Jennifer did.

RIP, Clarissa. If there is an afterlife, here's hoping you're whooping it up with Jennifer!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Amazingly and sadly, there are no reviewers and no bloggers writing on Episodes. This last page of the TWOP message boards sums up my feeling for this season - one of the best seasons of this heretofore hit and miss show, and as a standalone season and finale, far and above Girls (P.U. this season) and Shameless (really, people LIKE this show?) and even (yes, sorry) True Detective. Remember, I said the season AND the finale. Turns out, I'm even more disappointed in the finale of TD than even I knew.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/topic/3201552-episodes-matt-leblanc-tries-for-his-own-comeback/page-20

Anywho, for anyone who has Showtime and hasn't bothered with Episodes because it seemed to be a narcissistic vapid vehicle for Matt LeBlanc, know that this season was not, it was excellent acting and writing. Trust me, you will enjoy this season.

6 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.