TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
guru
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments
appara2
guru

Soler, you and me both!!

2 months ago

Okay, before I discuss the elephant in the room, let me say that I thought the finale was a mess, I had issues with how the story wrapped up and what we were told to believe. Any well written mystery gives the audience a solid chance to figure out who, the among the suspects, is the perpetrator. The whole point (of course) is not for us to easily figure it out, but we must at least have enough information to give us a fair chance to do that.

That being said, someone explain to me how after being told that Dean Barton had a non existent relationship with his family, the family which were violent criminals, who beat him to a pulp when they found out he was becoming a cop... were we ever told anything else, even an inkling that he adored his younger brother, much less that his brother was proud of him for getting out of the life. The only thing we heard or saw was his mother's regret. This we knew, other than that, did we have a chance to surmise anything else about his family and his relationship with them.

I can see where a bullying, mean, unrelenting father could and would force his other sons to beat up the the one he despised - I would presumed for being different - and they would comply because that was how they were raised - that would partially explain the beating, but beyond this were we treated fairly as an audience and given enough information to really access Dean's relationship to his family?

A younger brother, only a kid really when Dean was in training, had the were-with-all to go and purchase an expensive pen (and have it engraved). I am not just speaking about the cost, the whole mind-set behind that purchase, it is a difficult one to understand. Had it been his mother, it would have made more sense to me, the explanation we were told that he looked up to Dean and was cheering him on, was so out of left field. That could have given us a scrap of this relationship, just one glimpse of it ,and that would have at least provided us with a fighting chance to understand what was going on.

Then we find out the Barton's and the Walsh's were criminal rivals and the most important info of all, that Walsh murdered the younger brother that Dean adored. ??? I was left open mouthed, if Sonny did not explain all this for us, we would never have connected the dots.

2 months ago

The whole scenario with the drug smuggling... Dean was smuggling drugs in to the country, he had stopped for a while and made that last trip at who's insistence, Ram? I am not quite sure I understand what this was all about - was it to get the money to keep Ram quiet about what they did to Walsh's body, because it doesn't seem that Ram actually knew Dean killed Walsh, by the time he got there Walsh was dead, or near dead, and he was giving him CPR. Why would Ram attempt this if he already knew Dean stabbed Walsh in the head with the pen and killed him? So that is unclear to me. Or, was it the other way around, and Dean was holding Walsh's death over Ram - or as Ram said, they would have tried to pin it on him had he tried to call for help so he had no other choice but to help Dean with his smuggling. Quiet pressure so to speak.

So, I was left with the feeling that Dean was in the drug smuggling because he needed the money to fund his own needs... his wife knew about it and would he tell her if it was solely because he was being blackmailed by Ram? This was left murky to me,... yes, Ram benefitted from the drug smuggling - and in the end he is going to do time in jail for that - but what was truly the reasoning behind the whole operation. I think it benefited both given their connection due to Walsh's death, but I would not put the label blackmail on it, I just did not get that sense.

And dear Fiona, she is the one who is walking away with the least consequences. Dean killed Walsh and was smuggling drugs, he's doing time.... Ram was aiding him and as a cop would certainly get substantial time... Liz seems to feel she will be in prison as well, mainly I am thinking because she is a ranking police officer, but the only thing they have on her is the unlawful disposal of Walsh's body, they have have nothing else.

Fiona was telling her partner that they have nothing on her for the child's death as her blood sample was lost (and they can't pin this on Liz); they most likely won't do anything about her working without a license....and she may or may not do any prison time for the disposal of Walsh's body. So out of them all - with all the stuff she actually did - we will never know if she was drunk driving when she killed that child, but given that she said repeatedly she was drinking heavy at the time, I would venture she was - she is going to move on with her life now that it is all out in the open.

Yea, I know she was left scarred by all that happened, but so was everyone else - who wasn't? And, they all are going to continue to pay for it... except for her. ???

2 months ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I applaud you your usual well thought out reflections on the show.

2 months ago
soler
guru

Yes Brit .... no trail of bread crumbs for us to follow , especially after a slow roll out , they had lots of time to do this . All I knew about Barton's family was that he was distanced from them and they were all criminal . The mother was the only family member we met and knew anything about. That whole pen business was strange from the get go , from the purchase to the murder weapon . Thought Sunny did a real good job questioning Ram about the money payments , had it all nailed up to the point where Ram who always had a quick answer for everything , all of a sudden went quite , then blurted out " I didn't kill him ". Had absolutely no sympathy for him at all. One question , I still can't figure out . Why did that fellow ( can't think of his name ) who died in his house and had the freezer in the basement , why did he store the body .. he didn't kill him , what did they do , pick straws? Yes , I agree , Dean Barton is getting a custodial for murder and drug smuggling , Ram getting a custodial for partnering with Barton on the drug stuff. I think the only one who is free of a custodial is Liz. since they can't prove she tampered with Fiona's alcohol readings over the child death car crash . although she worked out of the same police station that handled Fiona's car crash case. She certainly has lost her carrier. That leaves Fiona . While talking to her partner she said her lawyer didn't think she would get a custodial over the car death as they couldn't prove she was over the limit ( car death happened in 1993 , freezer boy was in 1990. ) she has mentioned in a previous ep. that she began drinking heavily for a number of years after 1990 so I would assume she was intoxicated during that crash . She also said her lawyer thought she might ( get custodial ) over the licence business. ( or as I thought she said ) . Found this to be a hard ep. to watch the second time around . ( with THAT elephant in the room ).

2 months ago

Thank you, Deedee!
[i]
[/i]
[i]
[/i]
[i]
[/i]
One question , I still can't figure out . Why did that fellow (can't think of his name ) who died in his house and had the freezer in the basement , why did he store the body .. he didn't kill him , what did they do , pick straws?

Good question. I think they said something about deciding he would be the one to dispose of the body, but I don't remember how or why he was chosen or if they ever made this clear to us. There was a good amount of vagueness going on with the explanations we were given, which is why Sunny had to spell it all out for us!

Soler, Liz did mention to her boss in that last conversation that after she got out of prison she was going to make every effort to help people and move her life in a different direction. Since she mentioned prison I assumed she thought she would get a custodial sentence. If Fiona gets off without any prison time then Liz should also, as you said, it only seems fair. The only thing I can think of that would impact Liz would be the fact that she is a cop who did this (and kept it secret) and that would carry a higher penalty in the laws eyes.

TBC..................

2 months ago
soler
guru

Now .. to deal with the elephant. Not concerned when that car T Boned Cassie ..... I expected her to be ' all done up ' in the hospital bed. Family all gather round ... you know , play it out for the drama , then have Cassie blink then open her eyes , look around , then ask " Where am I ? " GET ME OTTA HERE . When that didn't happen , I said , hang on , what's goin' on here. Then past the point of no return . WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO THIS SHOW . I got angry with disbelief . This excellent show is only 4 seasons old ( not 7 , 8 or 9 seasons ) where you would expect a close out of this nature ... ( get this , it's not a close out ) .

2 months ago

Moving on to the elephant, this is where I have my main issue with this season. I think that the writers and Chris Lang were so focused on Cassie's exit from the series - they made it as tragically emotional as they could... they wrung every last tear they could out of it - that the actual mystery investigation was lost in that focus.

This series is known for it's tight writing and involved stories - look at the last three seasons... detail, red herrings - you had to stay with it because it was written as a puzzle that you needed to put it together piece by piece and we, the audience were part of that investigation. Think about this season, how much of it was focused on Cassie and her mental state; her father's situation and then her death - more than half of it if you think about it. The investigation was crafted around that and suffered because of it.

I will be honest, I felt the Cassie character had run its' course within the series. Not at the beginning of the story, but as it continued on I expected her to leave at the end. Where was her character to go given what we were seeing. A nice retirement with the boyfriend in a house in the country (or by the water) was where I would have thought we were going to end. But no, they went for the juggler vein.

This is not the first time, or uncommon, with detectives that have ended their careers in TV series. I don't want to start listing detectives or shows not to spoil them for anyone who may not have seen them yet, but think about it, how main (detective) characters were killed off, or given debilitating conditions that caused their retirement. Even Frost almost ended up that way - remember there were two endings that were taped and in one he was the one to die.

For some reason, writers, and the actors themselves, love to go out in mega drama - that one last pull to everyone's heart where they can drag the last tear out of you and leave their (acting) mark. Nicola Walker was involved in the decision of how she was to exit the series, that has been made clear, so this is how she wanted to go. When you consider it, she and CL know that this ending will be spoken of for a lot longer, and with more regret, than if she had gone happily in to retirement by the seaside.

2 months ago

(get this, it's not a close out ).

Soler, I am okay with Sunny carrying on next season - I really enjoy Sanjeev Bhaskar and I think he will do great as the lead with a new sidekick. Nicola is in such demand right now, she will be moving on to a new series - remember the BBC radio audio story you listened too several years ago when I had shared the link with you - well, that is her new gig, she will be DI Annika Strandhed. She is perfect for that role, and I expect that it will be top notch.

2 months ago

And a shout out to Appara - you called it, you said it was an accident and not someone trying to do harm to Cassie and you were spot on. I read a comment on the PBS Masterpiece FB page, someone there went back over that scene several times and saw that Cassie did not have the right of way - she was focused on her situation with her father and not paying as close attention to her driving as she should have and went ahead when she shouldn't, so that is why it looked like someone was gunning right for her. They (Sunny?) did say that the young man (who had just stolen the car he was driving, right?) said she came out of no where and apparently she did.

I have not watched the finale episode over again and I have no plans to. I am done with it, they chose to go out as they did and I am moving on. It is not something I have a desire to watch again.

2 months ago
soler
guru

Brit .. appara is our new Poirot . lol Gonna be curious ta watch S5 when it gets to us. Reminds me of a series on Netflix that I watched. House of Cards .. enjoyed it with Spacy , after he left ( forced out ) it was just not the same .. only lasted one more year. Got a news letter from PBS and read over the little blurb they had on Unforgotten . Apparently Chris Lang and Nicole had lunch over discussing her write out back when they were writing up S3 . Nicola was all for it and thought it would happen in S3 but Lang wanted to carry over and finish in S4. Was curious to read that Lang said he might write Cassie's father into the script for S5 .. My question is .... why ???? With Cassie gone I would think all her family would be gone. Oh well , good to hear she's on to bigger things.

2 months ago

Soler, I read the newsletter you mentioned, there was a lot of information in those interviews! I was surprised to read that the new character will be Sunny's boss and younger than him. Seems like a kick in the face to me as I think Sunny is quite capable of taking on the lead detective role. This could go either way, there could be great chemistry between the two, or it just may not pick up speed with someone new as his boss. I am not so certain now that it will be a hit right out of the park.

2 months ago
appara2
guru

I too was jaw to the floor when the murderer was revealed. For so many reasons I had written Dean off as the killer. A brother's revenge? That came outta nowhere!

Also, the hands and head being chopped off. When, exactly, did that happen? Did they conference call with Fogerty the next day when he was let out of the drunk tank and say by the way, we left the body in the trunk of your car - maybe just chop to fit and shove it in your freezer for the next few years?

or....did PBS cut out integral parts of the series? or was this whole season just piecemeal together due to covid?

I was okay with Cassie dying - right up until Sonny came around the corner with the big smile, just itching to tell her that the case was solved. That did it for me...the throat tightened up and the tears started flowing! Nice to see that they brought both her boys back to end her story.

Brit, did I read that right? They are not going to promote Sonny??? Didn't he take over when Cassie took her long stress leave? WTH!!

2 months ago

Appara, I went back and checked... yep, and I quote "she's his boss". I double the WTH.

2 months ago

Soler and Appara, where are you with Halifax: Retribution in your viewing? I stopped watching after E5 to let Soler catch-up, I figured we could discuss the last two episodes (E's 6 & 7) since they are going to be the most information packed in regard to the various storylines. I am going to watch E6 in the next day or so.

2 months ago

Deedee, I watched the first season (the pilot) of Rose and Maloney on Prime. It has been on my mind to try it and I jumped in last night. I think you would enjoy this first season - it was a hard watch for various reasons - I'll admit to FFing through it at times, but I went back and reviewed it mostly in its entirety and overall I would give it good marks. Sarah Lancashire is a superb actress, she gave a strong performance - as Rose, she is the type of personality you like on screen.... messy, walks her own walk, yet razor edged when dealing with her job. The added bonus is Phil Davis as her coworker/partner. I know you are a fan and they gel well together. Interesting to see them both in their younger years.

I don't plan to continue to S2, changes were made that became even greater in S3 and from what I read, it lost something. I know how you felt about TPTB cleaning up Dalziel, so I would imagine you would feel the same about Rose.

I also don't want to watch the type of stories they are focusing on - in many ways it reminded me of the stories in George Gently (not Gently himself) and I have had enough of those in my life. This first season (made up of two episodes) is worth a watch, if you are looking for something old school to watch involving the nitty gritty of an investigation give it a try.

Soler, I think you would also like it as well, but at this point I think it is only available on Prime. Appara, I am not sure this is your cup of tea.

2 months ago
soler
guru

Only got 1 ep. in PVR Brit .... E2 , going thru this PBS Begathon the last couple of weekends . Hope next Sunday will give me E3 . Thought appara and you were all thru with Hlfx R .

2 months ago
appara2
guru

Sorry guys, I have NO self control - I watched the finale of Jane Halifax long, long ago LOL
and I could easily watch another season!!

2 months ago
soler
guru

The Crawley family will be back next March with a new movie coming out .

Downton Abbey movie sequel officially titled A New Era with the entire cast returning | Daily Mail Online

2 months ago

Okay, Soler, I didn't realize the begathon had halted the series for you. I will soldier on as it will be awhile before you will be able to view the entire series. Appara, I am looking forward to the last two episodes!

I enjoyed the first movie, I really did and so did the Hubs, and he knew nothing about Downton Abbey before I dragged him to the theater (many moons ago when we could do those things). This is good news, when they mean everyone is coming back, I am assuming Maggie Smith as well, which I am so happy to hear.

2 months ago
soler
guru

Bad enough Brit that Hlfx R was not shown concurrent with appara and you but that further delay with the begathon was really hard to take. . @#%$# lol ...... Must take a lot of preparation to get every body free to do a Downton movie ... ya want ta see all the characters because there are soo many good ones . Scheduling must be a nightmare . Wouldn't want that job. Got a tease E Mail from PBS . Showing me the window to click on to get a preview of Guilt . Clicked on it , only to have it tell me I can't view it. still have hope when I click. lol Will put it in PVR ... it might be good.

2 months ago
appara2
guru

Guilt on PBS

This link is a preview that might work for you Soler

7 weeks ago
soler
guru

Got it .. appara , Thanks .

7 weeks ago

Just as a FYI, if you are a Prime member, they are running a special promotion, you can sign-up for a Brit Box (or PBS) subscription for .99 a month - for a full two months at .99 cents each - (which is quite a good promotion) and then the normal monthly fee thereafter. This is the last day of the promotion.

7 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, you were right. Rose and Maloney is very good. How young they/we were in 2002!

Nice to see their talent early on, we can pick them, can't we? Phil Davis is wonderful.

True on the storyline, I had to FF most scenes with her boss and the mob boyfriend, she certainly had lousy taste in men.

As usual, a tough storyline, I had to stop 20 minutes before the end, left it for today.

Thanks, Brit.

Oh and thanks for the update on the rest of the series. The idiots that be cleaned her up? No thanks. And the Isle of Grain? What a waste of waterfront real estate.

7 weeks ago

Deedee, glad you enjoyed it! I thought you would. Those tough storylines get you, I try to stay away, but that first season of R & M was a strong one... great performances, well written storyline, it certainly keeps your interest. A well done, old school (oh my, 2002 is considered old school, when did that happen?!) series that holds up to time. It does make me nostalgic for those days - the late 90's, early 2002's was my time, I was in my prime and it was a great period in my life. The only other time that was as heady was my France adventures (which I give you full credit for) and and (of course) planning my wedding. To this day, we (the Hub and I) marvel that we pulled that off without a hitch. A wedding totally planned on the internet, from a thousand miles away in a language I barely speak, in one of the most glamorous places in the world (at least to me). Someone was watching over me. Best time of my life.

Now that I have Britbox I am re-watching S3 of Shetland. I binged three episodes last night - omg, I love this series, I almost forgot how much I did as I had an Acorn subscription and they did not have the more recent seasons. I have never seen S's 4&5 so I am quite excited. I have a lot of good viewing ahead of me with Britbox, I am glad I made the switch. Oh, I read that a new season of Vera is coming to BB - not sure when though.

Appara, I watched the penultimate episode of Hlfx R (great abbreviation, Soler) and what an episode it was! I was going along with my viewing when all of a sudden it hit me - I figured out who the person was that payed for the hit. I will say no more but that was pretty brilliant. This show has gotten better with each episode... I have to say though that Det. Bronski still is one of the most unprofessional officers I have seen - I find her a complete aggravation. Looking forward to the finale.

7 weeks ago
appara2
guru

On HalifaxR when it comes to the hit, technically it could be said that someone paid for their own hit? I thought the ex was shady right from the get-go and it turns out I was right!!

Brit, funny that you should mention Shetland out of the blue!! I'm on the final season, only a couple episodes left! Not sure what will come next, but this one channel in my package is pretty good at picking series from days gone by - that are still relevant today (more or less).

I'm gone camping for a week, no internet, off the grid, and looking forward to the time away.

7 weeks ago
soler
guru

Brit .. have been bingeing the last few days . Downton Abbey .. ( Netflix ) ever since news came out about the second movie release next March. Thoroughly enjoying it ... the plotting and scheming of Thomas / O'Brian .. that irritating ' pantry thief ' Mr. Carson , who holds such high standards while looking down on people. Yup , remember it all and good to review again. Did I forget the long suffering Bateses , the only irritating spot.

7 weeks ago

On HalifaxR when it comes to the hit, technically it could be said that someone paid for their own hit?

How wonderfully perceptive of you, Appara! Yes!

Some time off the grid to reboot is a good thing (gee, I am starting to sound more and more like Martha Stewart these days - I don't know what that is all about!). Enjoy the peace.

Soler, binging Downton, what fun!

7 weeks ago
soler
guru

Brit ... did Ida effect you much in you're area ?

6 weeks ago

Yes it did, I was spared, thank God, but it came too close for comfort in that about 30 miles from me houses were torn apart and there was destruction everywhere. We kept getting updates because obviously no one knew exactly where it was going to blow through. I got rain and wind, but not bad enough to blow anything down.

As an FYI for you and Deedee, Agatha Chrisite's Crooked House has hit Netflix here in the States. I read the reviews, particularly those on IMDB and they aren't bad, there are those that liked it and those which are middling abut it, but nothing strongly attacking it. I am somewhat encouraged as I have not really liked (and actually hated) most of the recent adaptions done of her work. Particularly Sarah Phelps Ordeal by Innocence, Witness to the Prosecution and, the more recent The ABC Murders. Just as an aside, I watched Tony Randall's version last night as I found it on Britbox, never saw it before. I thought it would be an enjoyable watch and for the first few minutes I was encouraged, but they made it a comical joke and it was not what I had hoped for. I love Peter Ustinov's campy Evil Under the Sun, so I am open to interpretations other than Suchet's, Randall's though was not a good one.

Crooked House is written by Julian Fellowes, so right there I find that encouraging.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Glad you're okay, Brit. Close here too, all the parkways brilliantly built on rivers were under water and people just HAD to drive, dontcha know.

Oh thanks, is it the one with Glenn Close?

I paused only long enough to see Randall with a visible bald wig, doing an horrific imitation of Poirot. Ustinov and even Finney are bearable, but Felix Unger was not. They are showing Branagh so much, he is growing on me.

Like Brett and Thaw and their respective locks on their roles, no one can touch Suchet.

I am even watching Baxendale (Ross' girlfriend) as Christie, it was bearable. The others in the series were not.

I am quite enjoying Julia McKenzie as Marple, again no one can touch Hickson.

6 weeks ago

Yes, Deedee, Glenn Close is in it.

Have you watched the new episode of "Vera" yet? BB is uploading them one at a time weekly/bi-weekly. I am goint to wait until the entire season is available to watch, I think.

6 weeks ago

Oh, I have been hankering to watch Hickson's "Sleeping Murder", it is one of my all time favs - I watched GM's version when it was last aired (on TV) a few months ago, it is fine (you know I am a fan of her MM... I am the only one here), but nothing beats Hickson's original - this is a real treat. It is on BB. When I see that red (burgundy? - I can't quite remember) sports car coming down the road and Gwenda says "stop Giles" as she sees the house - total moment for me.

6 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Forgot about Vera. Season 11, oh joy.

Did anyone see Guilt? Good cast.

6 weeks ago
soler
guru

Got Guilt in PVR .... gonna watch tonight ..... set in Scotland I believe ... for that alone should be interesting.

6 weeks ago
duaneirwin

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

6 weeks ago

I am passing on Guilt, it isn't grabbing me, not something I would really enjoy and I don't waste my time on stuff that doesn't really get me. Please do let me know how you all are enjoying it - I am certainly interested in your opinions. Reviews seem to be down the middle on this one, my guess is that it either grabs you or it doesn't as I was noticing more people than usual who gave it a try and just stopped watching, they weren't willing to let it grow on them, their response was "done".

6 weeks ago

Deedee, I have been wallowing through Britbox to see what is available and there are a few things that popped-up up that I think you may have already watched or might be interested in. Reviews on the Bay have been very good. It does look interesting and I added it to my Watch List. I also found The Blake Mysteries with Jean in the lead - I know how you feel about Lucien's departure, that standing, I am very interested to see how they handled the series moving forward, I liked Jean very much and I am willing to give her a chance. There are only two episodes so it isn't a great commitment.

I found this old movie with Paul Newman, Twilight... I watched the trailer and it looks to be quite suspenseful. Ever seen it? I know you enjoy older movies, so this may be something you have long known about.

I am so loving this service - I knew I should have subscribed long ago - or maybe it is just the right time for me because as I had said above I am in a nostalgic mood these days and seeing so many of my favorite shows available is great. I have been re-watching the first season of Bergerac and plan to watch some episodes of Dalziel & Pascoe, Are You Being Served Again, BallyK (my all time fav) some Rosemary& Thyme and maybe a Taggart which I never actually had a chance to watch before.

What I like most is that I don't feel the need to re-watch the entire series or even an entire season, I watch the seasons/episodes I liked, or choose something on a whim. There are so many more to choose from - I will be busy for quite a while.

Oh, and the remastering they did on Joan Hickman's MM - I am in the middle of watching Sleeping Murder - superb! I have the DVD's that were made before the remaster - so I never had the chance to see it so vividly. Makes a big difference. They dressed Gwenda beautifully, her outfits are so well put together and with the color restored in the masters it really is a treat to see her on screen.

6 weeks ago

I have finished my re-watch of S3 of Shetland and binged S4. Sad, sad ending to that one. I have decided to skip S5 entirely - I have read reviews, in fact, a detailed synopsis of the storyline and decided this is not for me. The Swedish Wallander tackled this subject in several of its' stories and I found their portrayal of this horror to be so well done - there was a real understanding there of this dark, atrocious side of life, those stories stayed with me and I have not found anything which came close and I don't really want to delve back in to it - particularly when this season of Shetland did not get the highest marks. Seasons 6 & 7 are coming so I have that to look forward to.

6 weeks ago
soler
guru

I am passing on Guilt, it isn't grabbing me,

Agree Brit ... Guilt turned out to be a disappointment. Don't know what happened , started out kind of funny in a dark comedy sort of way . Running that old guy down with you're car in front of his house then carrying him inside to prop him up in his lazy - boy . After that it just seemed to flat - line and go all boring. No scenes of Scottish countryside I was hoping for , might / might not , watch next week. Starting to wrap up Downton and have begun a rerun of Scott & Bailey I found on one of my cable channels . Lucky enough to catch it at S1 E1 . Several weeks ago PBS ( Maine ) started a rerun of the Doc Martin series right from , again S1 E1 . I had really forgotten how funny , original and entertaining the early eps. were ( started in 2004 ) . This show is a perfect example of how being pushed past the sell - by date by Clunes and gang only reflects in a desperation to keep wringing the neck of the golden goose. Not sure , is it still being filmed ?

6 weeks ago

People kept clamoring for more and the money was just too enticing to walk away from, Soler. They are now saying that the next season (S10) will be the last. It probably will because, as you say, they have wrung the last drop out of it and there is little left to move forward with. There was a mention in the article I read that Clunes and Co. could always resurrect the series with a Doc Martin special here and there and I would not put that past them after a few years of being dormant.

This series has been a cash cow for them and we Americans are the ones responsible for that - Acorn is now the sole distributor (and also has the DVD rites), it is the American market that wants more and Acorn has become big enough financially to back its' own productions.

Then there is Transcendent Travel which has additionally capitalized on this market by providing tours through various PBS station (To the Manor Born tours) and also directly to the Acorn (British telly) subscriber with their Best of Acorn TV tours that visit Cornwall. In the past various actors have made themselves available to meet tour goers which has been a huge draw. There will only be one more chance for that to happen depending on the production schedule of S10.

6 weeks ago

Soler, we are on the same page with our re-watch of these old favs! Makes me feel good that we both are in the same place (great minds think alike).

You are not going to guess what I started re-watching last night... Inspector Lynley Mysteries. This is one that we all enjoyed, yet pretty much agreed was a one and done - not a series that warranted a re-watch. Well, I felt this way for many years, no interest in going back, then lately the series kept popping up here and there, I would see something pertaining to the show and it has been siting there in the back of my mind.

Now with access from Britbox, I said what the heck, and tried an episode in S1 that caught my fancy. I enjoyed it! The style of the series is dated, while watching it became apparent that today's mystery shows have matured in a more complex way (this was done in the early to mid 2000's) yet, there is something to be said for the atmosphere of these early shows and they do hold up as an entertaining watch. I am not going to view the entire series from start to finish, but I will definitely go back for more.

6 weeks ago
oneplusnordn

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

5 weeks ago
soler
guru

You are not going to guess what I started re-watching last night... Inspector Lynley Mysteries.

Now that would be a good watch Brit ..... another Inspector I hadn't thought about in years is Inspector Alleyn Mysteries with Patrick Malahide from back in the 90's .

5 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

I agree, Brit. I also felt it was a waste of talented actors. So what is the implication at the end of episode two, that the old lady and the daughter were in on it? What did they do, blue the old man's shoes to the middle of the street and know that anyone who hit him wouldn't continue on? I have to stick it out, since there are only two more episodes.

I 'think' I saw The Bay. Stuff doesn't stick with me anymore. I'll try a rewatch.
No, never heard of Twilight. It sounds interesting, another entry for my long watchlist. Thanks.

I loved the Hickson versos of SM. I can still hear Dr. Kennedy saying 'Gwennie' in that menacing voice.

5 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Wow. That should have been 'glue' not blue, and 'version' not versos!

5 weeks ago

Soler, I watched the Inspector Alleyn Mysteries about a year or so ago - I found the series on The 'Tube at the time, I don't know if the episodes are still available. I also listened to some of the audio books this last year. I streamed it to my TV, so I got to watch it on the big screen as opposed to my tablet/computer and it was great.

I am continuing with the Inspector Lynley Mysteries, I am really enjoying this re-watch - I am going to finish S1 and maybe move on to S2.

Deedee, I was wondering what you thought of Guilt, I wasn't sure where you would fall on this one, it was hard to get a feeling from the reviews I read.

What is in store for us next guys, I need to go check...

Okay, Elizabeth is Missing is being re-aired next, then Grantchester and (finally) Baptise on Oct. 17th.

Anyone else going to watch Grantchester beside Appara who I know loves the series? I will be watching the first few episodes to see where the season is going and (of course) see Robson Green.

5 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, from the previews of Grantchester, only if absolutely necessary.

I am glad Guilt is over. Holy cow. Let's just say the after program peek into the making of the show was better than the show itself. I'm glad they had fun making it. Plus, it was difficult to understand them.

Is Baptiste being rerun? I hope it's a new one.

Oddly, I couldn't get into Crooked House.

I tried Blithe Spirit remake, amazing how much better the original was without the zippy special effects.

The Curtain was apparently a big hit on Netflix, ugh no thank you.

I am not looking forward to Doc Martin but will slog through it. Yes, the cash cow is begging to be euthanized.

On Shetland, did they do to Jimmy Perez what they did to Wallander or Gently?

5 weeks ago

Oh no Deedee, Perez is coming back for S 6 &7 which they shot one after the other with no hiatus between the two seasons. I think they just recently finished up the final episode. Should be interesting the fact that there is that continuity in the seasons as the mindset remained the same throughout. When you have a year long hiatus, or two, it can greatly impact what we see on screen - actors disappear, other writers take over, producers go in different directions with their approach... this we won't have, so it should solidify and enhance the storylines. I am looking forward to them.

The reason I am not watching S5 is because of the storyline, I read a detailed synopsis and I could not convince myself (as much as I like the series) to watch it.

No, Baptiste is a new story! I am so hoping it is better than the first season which was a big disappointment for me - fingers crossed because I love the character and am looking forward to it.

I slogged through the last season of Doc Martin and I thought it was better than what they gave us the last three seasons or so... I think it took me nearly a year to finally finish it. I am really over the whole series - it was never a favorite of mine to start with, but it had a certain something and I did like most of the supporting characters and enjoyed the ambiance of Cornwall, that is why I kept coming back. We will see what this (supposedly) last season will bring.

I read somewhere that Clunes is doing another season of Manhunt. He was quite good in that. I no longer have Acorn so I will most likely not see it unless it airs somewhere else.

5 weeks ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.