TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
guru
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments
carlapbs
guru

Deedee, that was a cute link, thanks. What a likable guy BC is. He was really getting into it. I wonder how many people will see that and think it's OK to approach him and douse him with ice water.

I also hate when they write women as stupid victims. It's like watching a woman running away from the bad guy only to trip and fall to the ground as if she can't run without falling over. I hope Happy Valley handles things better than The Last Enemy.

7 years ago

I am back online... it took me several days to set-up my computer (again) and I was so upset over the whole thing that I would look at it and walk away. Time gives us perspective and I have absorbed the situation and moved on. I have a computer/tablet combo and had relied heavily on the tablet function, pinning things to the start page instead of saving them to the hard drive in "computer mode". They were able to transfer my info from the hard drive to the new computer, but all that was pinned to the Start page was lost. The LCD went on the computer (yes, Dee it was only 7 months old) so that made it impossible to see what I had pinned, which was the final straw in that camel's back.

Anyway, it was under warranty so I was able to get a new computer, but the process was costly as I had to pay for another warranty and for the data transfer which was I was not very happy with. I have always used a local company when I have had problems in the past with my computer, because of where I purchased it I had my first dealing with the Geek Squad - I am shaking my head as I write this, all I can say is pray that you never have to use the company to fix any of your computers. I know all locations are different and we should not brush in large strokes, I am sure there are top notch locations somewhere, mine was not one of them.

To be cont...

7 years ago

Back to happier discussions. Carla we never did have a dedicated Vera thread. Deedee gets the series on her local PBS station, I do not. I have seen the first two series and the first episode of Series 4 when it was on The 'Tube for a brief moment. I keep saying I am going to have to purchase it, but I haven't as yet. I remember I felt the first episode from Series 4 was missing some of the mood and human perspective of the earlier episodes. It was more crime story and less of Vera (and all her foibles) and her sidekicks relationship/life. I adore this duo, so I was a bit disappointed. Not seeing Series 3, I don't know if some of this was lost then as well. I hope not, as this is what drew me to the show in the first place. I already have viewed the first two series multiple times and I could watch it again. Love the show.

Deedee, I tried to track Parade's End down on HBO, but it is not On-demand. Why, I do not understand. I am looking for repeats and will DVR if I can find any.

Carla, we see eye to eye with New Tricks. Your comments hit the mark. I too could not dislike the new Sandra, she kind of won me over, but Lyndhurst is a yawn and I too did not click with he and his daughter. You are correct "the biggest problem for me is that the new characters aren't the old ones...that magic is rare." Time to move on.

7 years ago

I have seen snippets of Happy Valley here and there. I like Sarah Lancashire so I would give it a go if it was available to me. I can't imagine it being darker than Gently, although we all know that Gently has become too much for me, so that could be a problem.

Carla, if you get a chance to watch the series Shetland with your Acorn membership, put it on the list. I watched several episodes (I commented about it earlier in this thread) and I liked it, similar to Vera as the original stories are written by the same author. It has that atmosphere that I find so appealing.

I have so much to get caught-up on, particularly in the Poirot thread. I will end for now and come back, I can't do it all in one full sloop. So good to be back...

7 years ago

P.S. There is always a silver lining somewhere, we just have to calm down enough to see it.... I have mentioned several a times the problems I have had posting here. I was writing my comments in the new Windows 8 Word program so I would not loose them and copying to here, but this site is not totally compatible, as I had to reformat the post once I got it pasted which is a (big) pain for someone as long-winded as I am.

What a mess of a program Windows 8 Word is. I was using the nice, simple (old) Vista program up to the point of getting a new computer and what a dream it was. Well, with the new computer I had to update my Apps and while I was looking through what was available I found this new App, which I did not have before, which mimics the Vista Word program in its' simplicity and it has spell check!!! There is a God and he is watching out for me, just when I throw my hands up, I get a gift. I just posted, had not one problem and did not have to reformat a thing. I was hoping it would work and it does. I am doing a little dance. If I had this before (it is new) I would not have bothered purchasing the Word program (which I still need to reinstall in my new computer). It also Cuts and Pastes with ease, something I could never get Windows 8 Word to do - it worked when it decided to and that was not always when I wanted it to!

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Bottoms up (re the order of your posts, Brit, but a real bottoms up might be in order after what you've gone through):

Are you telling me that a computer with Windows 8 - and OH the legion of stories I have heard about the horror of it, every-time I get an email without a noted attachment the sender tells me 'I have Windows 8 and I hate it' - has AN APP TO MIMIC AN EARLIER Windows O/S? Tell me, is this the brainchild of Gates himself? Update to an O/S no one wants, that is worse than hades itself apparently, and THEN include an App that mimics his earlier, easier O/S? I have NO doubt he would do something like this.

Anymore than I doubt that he did it deliberately so everyone will throw out their computers with Windows 8 and buy the new ones with the easier to use O/S.

Rats, I hoped Shetland would be on Amazon Instant Video - it isn't. I hope PBS carries Happy Valley, it sounds interesting. The big guy won't, they would program D/A all day, every day if they could, but the smaller pups might.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I was confoozled and couldn't remember which Series it was that messed with the Vera formula, and so did not try to go there when carla asked. Yes, they did a Fat Andy on Vera, losing the boozing misanthrope, whom I loved, and inserting I don't remember what, but I didn't like her.

They also had Joe angry at her, resulting in the upcoming change, I assume. Why oh why these shows mess with a perfectly perfect character - Fat Andy cleaned up and not being crude and disgusting, I ask you what good was that? - and decide to modernize/sexify/sanitize them is beyond me.

It seems pay cable channels go out of their way to avoid making available the intelligent, well written foreign movies or decent shows. But if you want to see Stripes or Meatballs for the billionth time, they'll be happy to accommodate you.

Wow............I am so sorry to hear about all that sturm und drang with your computer. They are the epitome of a necessary evil. I am lately - very lately - into tablets and am on my 4th one. Geek Squad, writing that down along with Windows 8, fie on them both. When you say 'pinned to the Start Page', do you mean putting something on the Desktop? I'm not sure I understand. Thanks. Good luck with your new one.

7 years ago
soler
guru

Glad ta see ya back posting again Brit and having you're computer nightmare behind ya. Gonna stay away from Windows 8 and wait for them ta get the bugs out. ( if they can )

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I'm glad you are back and am sorry you went through so much with your computer. I have nothing good to say about Windows 8, but it was on my new computer, so I use it. I downloaded a little shareware program called Classic Shell which makes it look like the old Windows because I was going mad. It saved my sanity, whatever sanity I have left, that is.

Regarding Vera, they began cleaning her up in Series 3. She still did some drinking from time to time but not the overboard-sitting-outside-looking-at-the-water kind of drinking that made her such a character. She started getting nicer and more considerate. In the first two series, Joe was the steadying force. In series 3 and 4 that changed with Vera becoming the steady one. I enjoyed series 3 and 4 for the stories and that gorgeous scenery, just not as much as 1 and 2. I like Joe and will miss him, but maybe they need to bring in someone to light a fire under Vera.

Brit, thanks for the info on Shetland. Acorn doesn't have that, but I'll keep an eye out for it. I'm hoping to start watching Happy Valley this week. I'm still catching up on the newest releases and have a couple more George Gently episodes to see before moving on.

7 years ago

Soler, if you can avoid Windows 8, at this point, I would. If you are coming from an older Windows system there is going to be a big learning curve. Like Carla, I had no choice - my old laptop is over eight years old and started overheating quite a bit, the top is broken (I had to keep stuffing components back in it) and then I got a very bad virus, one I could not eradicate myself. I held on as long as I could - it did not make sense to have the virus removed since the computer was in such bad shape. All that being said I loved it. I will say the resolution was poor, but that was understandable given it's age. (My new computer is stellar when it comes to resolution, better than my HD TV - it is the best thing about it.) Believe me, I almost brought it in to be repaired with all that was going on - I was about to hand it over and say rebuild it - I don't care what it costs. I have calmed down since then.

I do have a Windows phone so I thought the transition to Windows 8.1 on the computer would not be too difficult. I was wrong. I had to relearn everything and it is not a user friendly system. I also went with a touch screen... when it works correctly it is wonderful, when it doesn't - it freezes, can be unresponsive etc. - it is frustrating. There are issues with Windows 8.1 that they need to work on and hopefully they will build a more user friendly product as they move forward.

7 years ago

There is one function that I just love, Carla mentioned this a long while ago on the old board - the ability to have two separate screens running at one time. Genius! At the time, I couldn't understand what she was talking about, she said she could read the comments made in the posts as she was writing her response. I got that this would be a great feature, but I did not understand how it would work given that I never experienced it. Now, I use the feature all the time, I can be writing and pull up a screen next to the one I am working on to research something. As I write this I am looking at all your responses on the ShareTV Board.

7 years ago

Deedee, I don't think the app I am using was developed by Gates. It was developed out of frustration with the Windows 8 Word product - the most complicated, asinine program I have ever seen. They could not have made it less user friendly if they tried. I did a lot of writing in my heyday, wrote and edited many a report with Vista. It did not allow as much editing customization as earlier programs, but it was extremely easy to use. Windows 8 Word is a miss-mash of every possible editing feature known to man and is confusing and cumbersome. I do not believe Gates built the new app, but he is smart enough to offer it in response to all the negative feedback that W8 has received. When you have a product that no one wants you have to do something.

You are correct, it is the desktop that you pin items on. Think of it like saving a link to favorites, but instead you give it a separate icon on your desktop that takes you to it when you click on it.

Sorry to hear about Vera, Carla. I am not going to bother purchasing Series 3 & 4. I think I will wait until I get access another way. Those first two series were superb, anything less would be enjoyable, but not in the watch over and over category for me.

7 years ago

Deedee, speaking about Pascoe, they did change him, but the old Andy was resurrected for a short time. Of course, I had the episodes pinned on the desktop of my broken computer, so I cannot be certain which episodes without looking through The 'Tube again. It was after he came back from being shot (was he shot, I can't remember now) whatever it was, he came back on duty and for a few episodes he was in rare Pascoe form. I remember thinking of you and saying Deedee should see this! I think it was in Season Five. You would have enjoyed seeing him back to his old self, you could not help but smile.

I watched "The Quartet" the other evening (I recorded it from one of the channels) and really enjoyed it. It was a fluffy, heartwarming story with a great cast. If you want to relax, have a cup of tea and be entertained for an hour and a half without having to duck for cover, give it a try.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I adored The Quartet - if memory serves, I was blubbering at the end.

Well that's interesting, I have some stuff on the desktop, and didn't realize it does not go to the hard drive. Doh. I backup my stuff, so I assume that material is not being backed up.

Thanks Brit for the heads up.

I just sent that Classic Shell info to a friend who despises Windows 8, I hope it helps him. Thanks, carla.

7 years ago

Okay, I hope I did not confuse you, Deedee - you probably realized I was talking about (Andy) Dalziel , not Peter Pascoe when I said they resurrected him for a short while.

From what I was made to understand (and I do mean "made to understand") info on the desktop is not saved in the hard drive - you must save it on your hard drive along with pinning it if you want to make sure to keep it. If you are backing-up your info that means only what is in the hard drive is saved, so your assumption is correct.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Yes, got that Brit about Fat Andy. It finally dawned on me awhile ago that I can watch the DVDs on the laptop. Another Doh.

Big thanks, I'll have to move everything tomorrow. They made it easy, but they made it unsafe.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I saw the first hour of Happy Valley today and have high praise for it. It was very intense and emotional, definitely not a lightweight. I will have to prepare myself before seeing the next hour.

The show excels in character development, as most Brit shows do. We know who these people are by the end of the first episode. Sarah Lancashire is fantastic as a down-to-earth police sergeant and there is no posh accent from Last Tango. Some of the dialogue is fast and low, so I had to listen very carefully to get it all. A very different looking Siobhan Finneran, who we all loved to hate as O'Brien from Downton, plays her sister. There are many familiar faces, all great characters.

It is a good story, but there is a lot of sadness all around. You feel for the characters even for one who made a horrible mistake and caused something bad to happen. I don't want to give anything away, so I'll stop. Rather than saying that I can't wait to see the next episode, I think it would be more fitting to say I have to see it although a part of me doesn't want to go back there. I hope that makes sense.

7 years ago

Carla, absolutely makes sense to me...in fact, it is not my favorite place to be. You feel compelled to watch because of the strong story and stellar acting, but it hits your gut every time you do watch. You feel worn out when you are through, but go back for more because it is calls to you.

Does that about sum it up? :)

7 years ago

Any Agatha Raisin fans here?

I enjoy the BBC Four audio book series with Penelope Keith (I own two of the stories) and have read a few of the books. So, I am interested in this new series.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001586/ashley_jensen_stars_as_agatha_raisin/

Also, I keep forgetting to mention it (I got so much going on, I still have not gotten over to the Poirot thread and there is so much to talk about there, but I digress) Philip Jackson has a new comedy series out about three couples who are entering their retirement years and trying to cope with the change that come with this new status in life. Baby boomer stuff, which I would rather enjoy and since I adore him I am right there. Only the first few episodes have been shown, so not quite sure if it will gather an audience, but with any luck it may make it over hear like "Last Tango" did. If not, I probably will purchased the DVD when it comes out in the UK. Fingers crossed though that PBS picks it up.

7 years ago

The series is appropriately called Boomers. Here is an interview with Jackson.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/boomers/interview/philip_jackson/

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Absolutely, carla. As rough as any UK series has been, and it's only when they show dead animals (that are usually really dead) that I leave, none have yet chased me away. They're usually SO good that I have to stick, and am usually not disappointed. I will surely watch Happy Valley.

The worst I have seen thus-far is a new show on pay cable, The Knick, which I started watching because Clive Owen is in it, sans accent unfortunately. It is deliberately gory and bloody, and I may not be around for much longer.

Brit, that's a lovely interview with Philip Jackson. Oh, the possibilities of bringing in old-ish actors as guest stars! David Suchet, perhaps? PBS, are you reading here? Boomers, soon! Remember, we don't have the patience of our parents.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, who have perfectly described the whole gotta see it no matter what thing. Deedee, I'm with you about the animals. I'm a big animal advocate and hate when they show harmed animals, partly because I don't want to give any loonies out there any ideas but mostly because I just hate seeing bad things happen to animals. They're helpless just like children, so the Mama Bear comes out in my and I just want to protect them.

Thanks for the news on Agatha Raisin, Brit. I have read all of the Agatha Raisin books and am always on the lookout for new releases. I've been disappointed in the books a couple of times with only one being extremely bad. I wouldn't have chosen Ashley Jensen for the role, but I hope I'm wrong. She's too young and pretty, but I suppose makeup can change that. It's hard to believe she played young Rosie on May to December and now she's going to play disillusioned Aggie.

Yippee, a new show with Philip Jackson. It looks great, and I can't wait until we get it over here.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Hey Brit, I am wondering if you have had the chance yet to complete Wycliffe. I enjoyed your last update, although it made me want to watch the series all over again. Don't you wish there were more hours in the day just to watch our mysteries?

7 years ago

Carla, well, yes and no... without my computer I wasn't watching anything on The 'Tube, a few things on my phone, but my 'Tube mysteries were at a standstill. Back on-line, I remembered that I had episodes to finish - I was only one episode into Series 5. I had mentioned the last time I commented on the series that I thought that they had really gotten up to speed in Series 3, they were rocking it and then everything came to a crashing halt with Series 4. What a mess they were in, one stupid mistake after another, if it could go wrong, it went wrong and Kersey and Lane were the ones responsible for it. I was losing patience, all I kept thinking was, "people please get your act together because I am getting so bored with watching you all cock-up everything you touch". Thankfully, in Series 5 things started to turn around - but that was also the last we see of Kersey due to his illness and the associated insurance issues.

Anyway, I start to carry on and watch two more episodes and I am hooked. The stories are good... I know we are nearing the end and I want to see what is going to happen. Well, I then find that they had removed two of the episodes in the middle of the series in the playlist that I was using, which had had all the episodes. (It was like watching it on a DVD, one right after the other all in sequence - I love it when they do that.)

7 years ago

As periodically happens the various powers that be were cleaning out "the joint" and sweeping various episodes of copyrighted shows. I was into it and did not want to stop, so I passed over those episodes and continued on to the end. I stayed-up all night watching, it was great.

Things were really up in the air in Series 5, I did not know how it was going to all turn out, so it stayed interesting. Big improvement over Series 4. I thought the end was abrupt with Wycliffe's last minute save, there was no time to digest it... bam, and it was over. Even though I knew at the time there were no plans to continue the series because of Shepperd's displeasure with the producers for not giving Yuill his job back, it felt to me like they could have gone on for another round if they chose to. There was nothing that shouted "this is it" about the conclusion.

Subsequently, I found the two missing episodes buried in someone else's playlist that they did not discover and I plan to go back and watch them (if they are still there when I return).

Fingers crossed.

7 years ago

P.S. So many mysteries, so little time... it is a passion we all share and it has kept us together all these years. None of us seem to tire of it.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks for the update on Wycliffe, Brit. I had very similar feelings as you described as I was watching. When they kept messing up and Lane and Kersey were at each other's throats, well, it just wasn't as good. I like how as the series went on we got to see more of Wycliffe's life outside of the job and got to know the man at the piano. There were some really good guest stars in this series. I especially enjoyed seeing Louise Jameson (Bergerac's Susan), Bill Nighy, Barry Jackson (Dr. Bullard), and so many others.

I have so much respect for Jack Shepherd for refusing to film more shows without Jimmy Yuill. What a wonderful, honorable thing to do.

7 years ago

Yes, it was Carla, that kind of loyalty is not often found in the entertainment industry. Says a lot about the man. I find Wycliffe an interesting character and agree that seeing more of his private life outside of his police role added much to the series. I wish they had done that more in the beginning, the first two series were a bit slow warming up and more of Wycliffe's home/music life would have added greatly to the earlier stories.

Isn't his wife in a wheelchair in the first series? I remember that she was having some difficulties and we did see that, but it was not expanded on. Then she was fine and we saw little of his home life for a while. I never quite caught what was going on with all that - I must have missed the explanation (if there was one). As I said, they seemed more on the ball by the third series, where the first two series did not have the same focus.

7 years ago

Carla, I watched one of the two outstanding Wycliffe episodes last night that I missed on my marathon last week, I thought I had located both, but Standing Stone, Yuill's last episode has been removed due to copy write issues and a new playlist of the fifth series that was recently downloaded did not include it. I don't think it will be returning again.

The episode I did see, Feeding the Rat, starred Paul Venables and Chris Jury. I saw Venables name come on the screen with the opening title and I kept thinking "I know that name, but from where" - I saw his face, I could not place it at first, then it was like a flood came over me, May to December! He did a stellar job, really showed his acting chops. Chris Jury also has a small role and he did quite well. I was never a big fan of his on Lovejoy, although I adore the series, he was my least favorite character, but it was nice to see him.

7 years ago

I have officially gone off the rails ... I needed something not too heavy to watch, a detective story that would hold my interest, of course, Bergerac fits the bill, I started Series 5 again and then I came across a movie on TV, The Return of Frank Cannon. I remember the show, although I did not watch it back in the day. I enjoyed it, Cannon is low key, I like his style. I found the pilot episode (guess where) which I watched and I am moving on from there.

The reviews of the series say the stories are good, William Conrad could not do as much physical fighting and such fluff so they had to rely on stronger storylines - you watch him intellectually work through the crime.

This is certainly not my usual fare, as I am more into British retro TV than American (it is such a nostalgia thing for me, don't know why - I watch older British shows and I relate to them), but it seems to be fitting the bill and there are plenty to watch. I also have gone back to *Ellery Queen*, another goodie that is perfect for late night viewing.

**Soler**, can you access Hulu from up your way? Something tells me probably not, I found something I thought may interest you, I will send you the link if you can access it.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I remember Cannon being on from back in the day, but I was a little young to be into it. The US made some very good shows in the 70's and 80's, and some of them remain my favorites to this day. 'll keep Cannon in mind and one day will go back and properly check out the series. Yes indeed, Ellery Queen is another goodie. I don't know if you ever saw Nero Wolfe, but Conrad did a version in the early 1980's. I remember it vaguely, probably because at the time I thought sidekick Lee Horsley was a hottie. :D :D If you haven't seen Tim Hutton's Nero Wolfe, I definitely recommend it. It reminds me of Ellery Queen in tone, which is cool since Ellery was played by Hutton's father Jim.

I recently saw a couple of new shows on Acorn and am curious if anyone has come across them. Monroe, is pretty good with James Nesbitt (Assumpta's husband in BallyK) as a wise-cracking surgeon. It's a very well done character piece, and the first episode had guest stars Sean Evans and Sarah Smart. I also saw a movie with Nat Parker called Still Life: A Three Pines Mystery. Although I have always liked Parker's work, this movie was pretty bad. The only things I liked about it was seeing Parker again and the beautiful Canadian scenery. It's based on a book by Louise Penny. This is probably a snap judgment, but I can say that after seeing it, I have no desire to read any of her books.

7 years ago
soler
guru

**Soler**, can you access Hulu from up your way? Something tells me probably not, I found something I thought may interest you, I will send you the link if you can access it.
Fraid not Brit ....Hulu is U.S. only service , pity , I think it would be a hit . Cannon brings back memories , you're right , you could not call him an ' action hero '. but good, liked his style.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I finished the Netflix mini-series Happy Valley with Sarah Lancashire and am still trying to digest it. The story was riveting but very dark. The first three episodes were suspenseful but were extremely brutal and depressing. The last three episodes were easier for me to watch.

All of the characters were miserable and made it seem as if life is a chore. It's as if they are all trapped in an unhappy existence. I admit to being a Pollyanna so I have a difficult time seeing people leading miserable lives. I thought it was interesting that the nicest character was played by Siobhan Finneran, the hateful O'Brien from Downton Abbey. It was great seeing her a completely different role. Alun Armstrong's son Joe had a big part and did a good job with it. The show centered around Sarah Lancashire's character, and she delivered a powerful performance.

Some things were a little unbelievable, and there were times when the coincidences were a bit much. It kept me on the edge of my seat and sometimes had me wincing. It is no feel-good show, and I would not recommend it to anyone who has a hard time with very dark dramas. I was glad I saw it and thought there were some wonderful performances, but I will not see it again. I actually had to take a break of a few days between episodes until the final three.

If anyone else sees it and wants to talk about it, let me know. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so have purposely left out details.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Anyone else getting a username authentication required popup box when first opening ShareTV?

Ignore it.

X out the box and go about your business.

I guess that was one of the updates to this site.......................................

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Updates, that explains it. No popup box problems for me, but yesterday I had a long post on Poirot disappear before it posted. I'll try again but this time will try it in a word processing program before posting.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Starfish, I spotted another Nero Wolfe actor, Richard Waugh, in the latest Murdoch Mysteries (Loch Ness Murdoch). He looks exactly the same and was easy to pick out.

7 years ago

Wow Carla, good old "Guy Unger"! He is hard to disguise since he is kind of an iconic package. He was in 9 episodes of Wolfe, always recognizable.
As you once told me, Murdoch grows on one. I wish I would get this show more often. It appears sporadically and I never know where I am series-wise. I judge the timeline by Murdoch's and the Doctor's relationship. I guess it will continue, an intervening marriage notwithstanding, but will never go beyond the noncommittal stage. Wives are often deadly to crime fighters. I can think of only one example which worked: Mrs. Columbo, often quoted and part of Lt. Columbo's life, but never seen.
Personally, I like my crime fighters to be male and unattached. :)

7 years ago

Fall PBS Schedule...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/

7 years ago

Carla, you will enjoy this recent (2011) interview with Jack Shepard. He is asked about Wycliffe 2:00/2:50 minutes into the interview, so hang on till then, you won't be disappointed as he discusses the series in the remainder of the interview.

He tried to have the series resurrected, but Granada did not bite. Too bad. I would have liked to see a one-off with him back at the reins. TV pickings seem slim for him these days, I think he was hoping a little nostalgia would perk up the powers that be and give him a way back on screen.

The discussion about the Americanization of British TV is interesting. We don't see it that way from our side of the pond, at least I don't, but from what he says American TV has greatly impacted British television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmR5SELA7Qo

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Theatre, film and TV actor Sir Donald Sinden has died at his home aged 90 following a long illness, his son has confirmed.
He made his name on stage as a Shakespearean actor and appeared in more than 70 film and TV productions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29170107

Filmography:http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0801786/

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Personally, I like my crime fighters to be male and unattached. :)

If male, yes, starfish, single, unlucky in love, and full of angst and doom and gloom. Of course, no one did that better than Morse.

If female, I don't mind if they're married, as long as their jobs come first. Sandra of New Tricks was perfect, before they kicked her out for being 'old', and Scott and Bailey handle it well most of the time, unless Rachel is being an idiot. Currently, Vera is a perfect clone of Morse.

Interesting, Brit. Looks like they want to hustle the mysteries out of the way in a hurry - they're doubling them up and I am guessing The Paradise (don't watch it) has been severely cut.

Hathaway, now a DI, tackles a tricky case that bridges the worlds of neurosurgery, blood sports and animal rights.

Uh oh, that don't sound good. Think I'll pass and find out from you all if animals are killed just because they can be outside of America.

7 years ago
donny24
expert

I liked the way, you deedee713, says that "personally, I like my crime fighters to be male and unattached:" I completely agree with you, most of the British male detectives are unattached but don't they do a good job as detectives? - Morse, Poirot, Sherlock, to name a few. Others, even thoug they are married or in a relationship, do a good job because their women do not interfere in their jobs like in "Midsomer Murders". I think that here in USA is important to pair the lead actors with the lead actresses in order to have the blessings from the viewers-if not, they may be considered homosexuals, or they are not adequate and lack somebody in their lives- the belief here in the USA and other countries here in the Western World is that if you are not married by the age of 25, you are homosexual, that applies to men. A woman who is not attached but with a career, the other women want to pair her with somebody as proof that she is warm-blooded. Personally, I consider these ideas very stupid. One does not need anybody else to be happy. By the way, what has happened to "Paradise"? I need my dose of British dramas, if they are going to cut down on these shows, what else can we watch? Most American programs are garbage.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

donny, that was starfish, with whom I heartily agree.

I agree with you too. American detectives have mostly been happily attached, the exception being Lenny Briscoe and Munch from Law and Order - remember them? Ditto with Vincent D'Onofrio's character, but all of these guys weren't the lead character and their shows weren't of the UK British crime quality.

True Detective was another exception, with a dysfunctional marriage and a squirrely loner. Wonderful show, but it was a one off, and can never be repeated.

Paradise is coming back in the next few weeks - was it always 60 minutes. Take a look at Brit's schedule, they are jamming the Brit shows all together, and Paradise will be 60 minutes.

7 years ago

They are running pledge drives on both my PBS stations - I just remembered, I forgot to tell you all what one of these stations did - not my local NJ PBS station, but one across the state line... they sent me an invoice. Yes, a bill, like the utility company/credit card company requesting that I make a contribution to the station. It was a strong request, the letter pretty much stated "I know you are watching and we have not received a donation from you, here is a reminder and a suggestion of the amount we think you should send us."

I don't know who's bright idea this was, I would imagine whomever thought it very clever and expected it would produce results, well, it was an epic fail for me. I took exception with being sent an invoice and letter stating what the station provides me and basically saying pay-up. All I could think was "what a nerve"!

I will note, in light print, the words "this is not a bill" was printed on the side, out of direct eyesight, which I assume was done for legal purposes, but other than that, it was the same as any other invoice for payment I receive.

I understand why it is necessary to contribute, I get it, but I decide when I will contribute and to whom. Maybe I would rather send a donation to my NJ station, or maybe I will forgo a donation all together, because the last time I checked it was still my choice... there is nothing that gets my back up more than someone shaking their finger at me and telling me what I should do.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

Nooooooooooooo..............across the state line, as in NY? Please tell me it wasn't WLIW?

there is nothing that gets my back up more than someone shaking their finger at me and telling me what I should do.

I've tried not to do what people tell me to do since I was age 7. Now I'm the age that Ringo Starr sang about, many years ago, and I NEVER do what someone tells me to do. Ah, the privileges of being an old............well, you know.

BTW, Gently last night (on the only station that wasn't showing pledge garbage) was very good. Very dark, very depressing (child sexual abuse), but very well done. Well written, acted, and produced. Plus, Martin Shaw is the yummiest thing since a soft serve chocolate/vanilla twist in a wafer cone. :O)

By the by, has he gotten better looking as he's aged, or what?!

http://www.nndb.com/people/428/000347384/

7 years ago

No, Deedee it was not a New York station, I cannot imagine WLIW utilizing that scheme to solicit donations, it is not an approach I think they would take with their audience.

Martin Shaw... the man makes my heart go pitter patter. Definitely has improved with age as I would have not given him a second look when he was young. He is so handsome as Gently (and such a good person) I would have fallen in love, hook line and sinker. I don't know if you watched Cranford, he played the long lost brother of the sisters in the first series. In the last episode he came home after many years. The door opened and there he stood with that rugged, beautiful face (and a slight beard), I did not recognize him at first, I had no idea that it was Martin Shaw, but let me tell you, you could have knocked me over with a feather... then it finally dawned on me that there was only one man it could be. As they say, like a fine wine.

What episode of *Gently* did you see? Was it an older episode, as I do remember one that dealt with child abuse - it was a tough one - but it was brilliant. The acting was bar none and I was compelled to watch because of it. I was wondering if the episode you saw was this one or a more recent one. I remember that I was so impacted I wrote about it on the old board. It was that good.

7 years ago

I watched an excellent episode of Frost that was so good I am posting the link for those who may be inclined to watch(Soler!). Deedee, I know you have the DVD's. Carla, I don't know if you are a Frost fan, but you might want to give it a try. Sometimes it is fun to pick the odd episode and do a one-off visit with an old favorite. I was perusing 'The Tube looking for something else and it popped-up on the side with some other Frost episodes. Something about the title caught my eye and I thought "give it a go". It was superb... I did not remember anything about the story or the investigations, it was all new to me again and it definitely is at the top of my list of best episodes. D.I. Frost was in rare form, great acting all around... just so good. I recommend it highly.

Deep Waters - Season 4, Episode 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0vJPDZbzoQ

7 years ago

Deedee, Yummy? Well,I'm not much on ice cream either. However, I do like his profile. Four ladies thought enough of him to marry him. His professional record is impressive. Where can I catch "Gently"? Ice cream could be an acquired taste. :)

7 years ago

Starfish, ShareTV through Hulu, has the first series (of three episodes). The series is excellent, but it does not fall in the warm and cozy category - I know you do not like really dark series and this maybe a bit much for you. As I remember, the first series is not too dark, it gets darker as it continues on, so I would give the Pilot (Episode 1) a try and see how you feel.

http://sharetv.com/shows/george_gently_uk

Have you watched him in Judge John Deed? The ladies at the library would swoon over this series in which he stars as the lady-killer Judge. You might like it. Carla did (I think). I always wanted to ping him in the head for being so self-centered, but even I have to admit he was very fetching. There are lots of episodes on 'The 'Tube. I'll send you links if you can't find them.

7 years ago

Here is the direct Hulu link...

http://www.hulu.com/inspector-george-gently

7 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.