TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments
soler
expert

Have yet to thank CarlaW for finding this site and to you Brit for letting me know.

6 years ago

You are welcome Soler... it would never be the same without you - I would miss you!!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

from your profile page click Community at the top of the page, then select TV Show Chat and select the thread you want

Hope you don't mind, Brit, I'm reposting your breadcrumbs here as this old Gretel needs them!

If it's okay, I'm going to speak about shows & stuff here, without starting a thread for each show? If anyone minds, let me know & I will cease & desist. :O) No emoticons here, right?

I know we talked about this, Brit, but I was beyond disappointed in what turns out was the series finale for The Cafe. SO much promise, such talented writers, & they left it off - with Sarah taking Richard from another woman & staying in the town she wanted so badly to leave? Very sad.

I'm still trying to watch Sherlock, & which one did I hit upon last night? You guessed it, the one that so turned me off the first time, Sherlock in a sheet. My dearly beloved late Jeremy would NEVER go to Buckingham Palace in a sheet, nevereverever. *sigh* They updated the Reichenbach Falls to a rooftop, it seems? *sigh*

I've actually taken to watching Midsomer Murders, since I now loathe New Tricks, to which I used to switch off. They're in Season 4 on WLIW, & Barnaby so very much grates with his clenched teeth delivery and hanger in the jacket walk. Did you see Sarah's Mum in one of them, though? Poor Troy, how he put up with Barnaby is beyond me. I'm looking forward to the new Barnaby. The countryside & houses are drop dead gorgeous, Brit - do you know where it's filmed?

Maxed out the count! Hence the &.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

from your profile page click Community at the top of the page, then select TV Show Chat and select the thread you want

Odd. It appears to let you choose italics in editing, but then doesn't italicize.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

You are welcome, Soler.

Deedee, knowing how you dislike Nettles' acting style, I had to laugh when reading you're now watching Midsomer Murders. I thought, Bas must really be hard up for a mystery. :D Aren't the guest stars great though? And as you say, the countryside and houses are drop dead gorgeous. I'm lucky, I've always liked Nettles and I've liked all three sidekicks.

They're rerunning Sherlock in my neck of the woods. I thought the first series was very good overall and was excited when it returned, but the second series was a letdown.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

I am, I am, carla! I simply love seeing the character actors, whose names I STILL don't know, doing what they do best.

Oh, the italics edit does work! Joy.

I watch Rosemary and Thyme thrice and thrice more, and love it every time. I was 'this' close to switching from one cable company to another, but they didn't have NJTV, and that was that. It's so comforting to know that I can catch the recently old mysteries on these two channels.

carla, have you seen Martin Freeman in the light British musical movies he's made? He's simply wonderful. And Cumberbatch was awesome in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The ending still gives me the willies.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Speaking of not keeping my tv viewing to myself, has anyone seen any of these movies? I'm a day late and a dollar short on all of them, but wow were they good:

Amour
El Cuerpo
Seven Psychopaths

6 years ago
donny24
expert

Nice to know that one can share with others what one likes. I will check in a site (don't want to be accused of spamming) if those movies deedee mentions are available.
Carla- which one of the Sherlock you like best? I like Jeremy Brett- he is very histrionic and very strong.

6 years ago

Deedee, Midsomer locations are mostly in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.

6 years ago

I am re-watching Season 2 of Vera, the episode with Phyllis Logan was terrific, hands-down my new favorite series. I have not watched any of the above movies, I heard Amour was very good, but too close for comfort for me. I'll check out the other two.
Donny, yes, it is so nice to have a place to go to share our interest in TV series and movies with others!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

donny, I adore Jeremy Brett, it pains me to rewatch both him and Thaw in their roles. Brett because the change from the athletic Holmes leaping over couches to the bloated pained Brett due to heart problems was heart breaking. I read in an A&E magazine (!!!!) where Brett said a heart transplant - suggested due to his heart failing from meds - was too dramatic for him. Such a loss. Same with Thaw.

brit:

Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire. Hmmm. Are they on the water? I still want that caravan on the beach.

True on Amour, very, very painful to watch. But the acting? Holy cow.
El Cuerpo was edge of the seat wonderful. And after you've seen the movie, google Jose Coronado. Yowza.
7 Psychopaths? If you like offbeat, you'll love it. Rockwell and Walken were amazing.

Don't you love Vera's house? HUGE, and isolated, and near the water? Lucky lady.

6 years ago

Deedee, yes, I do - what could do with Vera's cottage.

No we have to go to Broadchurch country for the beach, or Doc Martin's Cornwall or Weston-super- Mare.

Speaking of the Cafe...

I so do agree, I do not think I have ever been more disappointed in a finale. It left me on a very sour note. That being said, they started the re-runs of the second series last night on NJTV. Could not help myself, I had to watch. The thing is, I loved that show until that bitter end and truthfully, I do want to see it again, because (for me) it was a joy until then. So I am going to give it another try. I just won’t watch the last episode so I will not have to go through that disappointment. As I said before, I ask you, what was Michelle Terry thinking writing that (finale episode) for herself?

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

I agree, Brit. It would have been so perfect if they left Richard and Sarah on a bittersweet note, him going off with his wife, and Sarah alone in Cyril's, since her Mum and Stan had eloped.

There she is, cleaning up the counter, Gran sitting in the corner, and in walks...............fade to black!

Heck, they could even have played Don't Stop Believin' by Foreigner if they liked. :O)

6 years ago

If I could, I would put a big smiley face right here! Definitely an improvemet over the ending we got. The best part is the Foreigner song - very creative!
Actually Stan and Carol can't elope because Carol is still married to Sarah's father. But, I get where you are going. Gran was looking at the care home brochures, it seemed to me like she may be moving there, especially since Stan and Carol are "engaged to be engaged". I think she felt she would be in the way, which I would not feel she would be, but that's me.
Do you think Carol would leave Cyril's to work on the allottment with Stan, helping him with the flower business? That would leave Sarah to run the cafe and write her stories. As I said before, Sarah has no one but herself to blame for her predicament with Richard. She passed him by for John and it was not until Ava showed interest (in him) that she became enamored again.
We all make mistakes and we try to correct them, but to attempt to take him from Ava and ask him to live in London when she knew he was happy in Weston-super-Mare was terribly selfish. It was too late for that.

You are absolutely correct, Richard and Sarah's relationship should have been left on a bittersweet note with her looking toward the future, not the past.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Deedee asked "carla, have you seen Martin Freeman in the light British musical movies he's made? He's simply wonderful. And Cumberbatch was awesome in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The ending still gives me the willies"

Deedee, I haven't seen Freeman in the musicals but I will keep a lookout. I've liked him in other roles. He makes a perfect Watson, and I like that Watson finally is allowed to have a brain too. I was surprised that I liked the new version of Tinker, Tailor, because some classics just shouldn't be remade. But it turned out really well and you are right, Cumberbatch was very good. He is a very talented actor.

Donny asked, "Carla- which one of the Sherlock you like best? I like Jeremy Brett- he is very histrionic and very strong."

Donny, I like Brett too. Very histrionic is a good way of putting his style, and I think it worked well for Brett's take on Holmes. I know Holmes is supposed to be emotionless, but he also had that other side that could possibly be expressed by histrionics. When Holmes did something, he did it to the extreme. Even his boredom was extreme. Holmes was very imaginative, and that could easily be associated with being theatrical. Brett's flair made Holmes more human and easier for the viewer, or at least this viewer, to relate to considering that Holmes could be a very cold character.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Love this old girl , she's a hoot :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjJc8xLYhak&feature=share

6 years ago
soler
expert

Brit that sheerwater sighting seems to be a false alarm , meaning I don't think it was our sheerwater. Avatar was a man in a trench coat wearing a fedora and standing in a shadow , had the look of Film Noir about it . Status was listed as newbie though. Been waitin' for a post but nothing yet . Can't see sheerwater not posting if he had just landed.

6 years ago

I agee, he would have found us by now if he was here. We certainly have left enough breadcrumbs.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Thought we might have heard from pgh Jh1 and MC by now but it is not happenin' . I think sheerwater and Alaster are lost forever.

6 years ago

Well, Jh01 is here and so is Sheer, I am hoping that somehow Alistair finds us as well. I will miss him... he was the last person I spoke to on the old board before it's demise.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Pssssst, peeps - This or That is a fun thread on Un-Related Chat Room -- give it a look see!

6 years ago
soler
expert

notice we are not ' newbies ' anymore , our status has been upgraded to ' junior ' .

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Cool! I hadn't noticed, thanks.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Without a by your leave, Series 3 of Vera began. Funny that WLIW never even mentioned the shows were new.

They are good, very good in fact, but interestingly Vera is without her demons this season. And? I'm not enjoying her as much. I guess I like my protagonists internally tortured, e.g., Morse, Wallander, Cracker, Jackson Brodie, and so on.

6 years ago

Really... wonder why the change. Since I do not have access to WLIW I will have to wait. Hopefully, they will come out with a box set of all three seasons soon in the UK, as I plan on purchasing it. I will have to wait forever before they make a set available here.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, Amazon has all three seasons, but they're sold separately.

6 years ago

Thanks Deedee. I checked over at Amazon UK, they have the boxed set of all three seasons for roughly $39.00 (plus shipping). Cannot beat that!

6 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Vera fans may like to know that a 4th season is currently in production for broadcast in the UK later this year.

Foyle's War fans may like to know that 3 more films have just started filming this month : http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/michael-kitchen-returns-new-series-foyles-war#.Ut41UPtFDs0

6 years ago
soler
expert

Thanks sheerwater two thumbs up .

6 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Oh, and I know some of you like George Gently, starring Martin Shaw, well 4 more episodes were filmed last year and are due to air on the BBC in the coming weeks.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks Sheerwater. Knowing we have more Vera, Foyle's War, and George Gently in the works makes my day.

6 years ago

I'll add a third thumbs up, that certainly is good news! Thanks, Sheerwater.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

Speaking of Vera, another very good episode last evening on WLIW. Rats, I just realized it's the last episode of Season 3. Guess I'll be that much older before Season 4 gets here. What an actor Blethyn is.

Anywho, anyone see Prodigal Son? As I said, very good episode, BUT!!!!!!!!!!! What a glaring error that any good fan of Miss Marple would ken in a second and a half. Like that word 'ken'? :O)

Can't share, of course, if you haven't seen it. But trust me, it was a plot hole big enough to drive a truck through. AND, it was still a good episode. What does that say about UK television?

Exactly.

Oh, and if you see Sellebrity on your telly? A fluff piece, but catch what Sir Elton John has to say about reality television and reality television stars. My thoughts exactly.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Read that article dee Elton calls them ' Nightmare People ' soooo true. Curious about Vera ....can't find this show yet , but not finished scanning all my cable channels.

6 years ago

Soler, I think you will like Vera - I love it, hands down, it is my favorite of all the new mystery series. You can find the first two seasons on Hulu through this site, the problem is I am not sure you have access from Nova Scotia.

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

soler, I got it via WLIW only, it was never shown on either WNET or NJN.

Yes, nightmare people.........and he said worse! Rock on, Sir Elton.

Brit, just got an email from WLIW that they will be showing Father Brown, and thereafter Scott&Bailey in Vera's stead.

6 years ago
soler
expert

No Hulu here Brit I've read the summary on the IMDB page , reminds me of Dr.Sam Ryan in Silent Witness .
dee not sure what WLIW is ........ believe Sir Elton could say worse once saw a vid of him greeting the paparazzi with 4 letter words , made me laugh .

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

soler, WLIW is PBS out of Long Island, NY. Sorry, sometimes I think the sun revolves around NY! :O) It's one of the few (NJN isn't bad) that programs night long blocks of mysteries from the UK. WNET, on the other hand, has gone corporate.

soler, there's a name from the past. I remember Silent Witness with Amanda Burton, probably from The Station That Shall Not Be Named eons ago. I didn't realize it was still on the air! soler, Vera is older, heavier, grumpier, sharp as a tack, beset by demons, loves her whisky (bless her heart), and any perp will tell her anything she wants after she calls them pet and love. JK, but it's a cracking good show, wherein the geography figures as importantly as the cast and storyline.

6 years ago

Soler, are you familiar with the series Republic of Doyle which is set in Newfoundland? It is being aired on one of my local stations on Saturday nights and I have been watching. I just told Deedee about it because one of our heartthrobs, Nicholas Campbell, has a recurring role as character Martin Poole for eight episodes from 2010-2013. Last Saturday night I finally caught one (of the episodes) with him and I was not disappointed. My, my, my what a sight for sore eyes.
The show is light fare and has a retro feel to it, there are lots of shots of the area and you get a feel for the people and culture of Newfoundland which is so interesting for someone from the States.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Brit have never seen the Doyle show and didn't know it was filmed on ' the rock ' , Nick Campbell is well liked here so it would have a large following. I understand Newfoundland has a rugged beauty but I can't say from first hand experience , have never been there.

6 years ago

Soler, I read the forums on IMDB and saw the nickname "the rock" used for Newfoundland. There was nothing but praise for the area and its people. Seems quite rural and rugged.
Okay, speaking of Nicholas Campbell, here is another one for you and Deedee. Romeo on this board posted about the return of the SyFy series Haven. The show is shot in Halifax! Have you heard anything about it? I would love to see your hometown, from pictures I have seen it looks lovely. The review on IMDB raves about it's beauty and the reviewer has only seen it from the show.

Also, I remembered that NC was also in the series in the early years.
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0220826/filmoseries#tt1519931

I have been trying to track down the first few episodes so I could see him in action, but no such luck. Hulu has full episodes from Series 4.

6 years ago
lvlady1

Anyone else fed up with Stassi and Kristian on Vanderpump Rules? I think they should both go

6 years ago
soler
expert

Brit , thanks for the comps. on my home town . Again , embarrassed to say I have never seen Haven but have just read it's write up on IMDB . Ya got my curiosity up now, so I'll go look for it on my cable, thanks for keeping me informed of what's going on in my back yard. LOL .

6 years ago

Just a comment on Nicholas Campell.
I am one of his groupies ever since he had several guest roles on Nero Wolfe. Then of course there was Davinci's Inquest. Loved that show!

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

star, I didn't know he was on Nero Wolfe? I too became a fan with DaVinci's Inquest and the odd Da Vinci's City Hall when they were shown at 2:00am or so.

I wrote to Acorn at one point for more DVDs and they said there was 'no interest'. Perhaps now that he's in a new show they'll trot out the old DaVinci stuff, here's hoping.

Saving Grace was on again today, a fun piece of fluff. Such joy to see Port Isaac and a very young (and high) and smiling Doc Martin, and a very high Vera and Craig Ferguson from Late Night with.....so many other familiar faces as well.

6 years ago

Da Vinci's City Hall is my favorite, there is a channel on the 'Tube with some of the episodes from this (later) series. There are a few more floating around on the site.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DaVincisInquest/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd
There is also a movie from 2008, Quality of Life, that was made after the series ended. I would love to see it, cannot find it anywhere.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1166823/

6 years ago
soler
expert

Brit the town used to film ' Haven ' Maine is a seaside town called Lunenburg , about 100 Kilometres ( 6o miles ) down the coast from me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunenburg,_Nova_Scotia

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

I am beyond distraught on this. I saw him ages ago in True Grit off Broadway, when he was first starting out. He was brilliant, had his entire acting future ahead of him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/movies/philip-seymour-hoffman-actor-dies-at-46.html?_r=0

6 years ago
deedee713
guru

That should be, of course, True West.

6 years ago

Soler, I looked at photo's of Lunenburg, pretty seaside town, very colorful - reminds me of the Newfoundland town used in Republic of Doyle as that has colorful houses as well. It doesn't seem to have the marina/waterfront development you do in Halifax, I would characterize it as being a quaint, fishing village and see why tourism is it's number one industry. Nice, but Halifax holds more interest for me.

6 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.