TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments
soler
expert

Happy New Year to all ...

BTW, I have noticed that Giri/Haji, Midnight Diner and Samuria Gourmet all have been at the top of Netflix's trending list this past week.

Brit ..... I see these on Netflix , and because of you're high regard for these shows I will give them a try. Normally , I would just fly by these shows and not give them a second look. Raise a glass on this special day.

3 weeks ago

Well, I spent New Year's Eve with my crew from Midnight Diner Tokyo! I saved some of the episodes to watch from this series during this winter and the New Year's Eve episode from S1 was one of them. It was like hanging out with friends!

Soler, there is two series in the Midnight Diner Series, the original Midnight Diner and its' sequel, Midnight Diner, Toyko which Netflix commisioned a few years after based on the popularity of the show.

Giri/Haji is an interesting, tense, detective series - it will have you on the end of your seat, it also can be a bit violent, so I took it in doses, but I loved it. I know you aren't a fan of subtittles, this one is largely in English (when the action is in London) so that should make it more watchable for you.

The Midnight series is like a hug... it is heartwarming stories of the people that eat at the diner. There is a whole crew of regulars that come and go throughout the stories. It is one of those shows that either speaks to you or doesn't. Give it a few episodes though before you make up your mind, you need to let yourself get to understand the culture and settle in with the characters.

I think you will like Samuria Gourmet, here again, give it a few episodes before you make up your mind, it clicked with me after the third. You start to really enjoy his food adventures. They get better as the series progresses.

Don't watch any of these shows late at night unless you are planning on having a snack yourself. I was craving noodles all last night after watching the New Year's Eve episode. All I kept thinking was why didn't I make noodles for the New Year!

Here's to all of you! Happy New Year!

3 weeks ago
soler
expert

Brit ... went looking for Giri/Haji on Netflix as I have seen it in the listings before . As other times I scanned past it , now I wanted to click on it .... can't find it ...... no matter how much I scan. Wonder if it has been removed . Will keep tryin'. I few years ago I got to watching Emmerdale on the Tube . Worked OK but the shows offered became erratic . became frustrating so I stopped viewing . Scanned the 15 million cable channels but no success in finding any one of them that might carry it. Several weeks ago I was channel scanning again ( covid lockdown bored ) looking for something else when I came across an obscure little exercise / yoga channel that carries Emmerdale . What a surprise . PVR'd it , now I never miss a daily show. Trick is .. something ya want ta see will pop up when ya least expect it. LOL Don't forget Masterpiece tonight . Elizabeth is Missing with Glenda Jackson starts.

3 weeks ago

Thanks for the reminder on Elizabeth is Missing, Soler! I forgot to set the DVR to record. It is done now.

I realize that Netflix does not always offer the same programming in Canada as here in the States, so I that is probably the reason... what I find interesting about that is that Giri/Haji is a Netflix original, you would think that they would want to air it everywhere! G/H is getting a lot of notice of late (it has been a (Netflix) sleeper up until now) ... I am thinking that it may be coming your way in the near future.

3 weeks ago
soler
expert

NoNo Brit ... I had seen G/H on my Netflix the last couple of months but just scanned past it ..... when I wanted to bring it up I went looking for it but couldn't find it .

3 weeks ago

Ohhh, I get it! :)

3 weeks ago

Elizabeth is Missing... first, I have to say this was a phenomenal performance by Glenda Jackson. Outstanding. It also was so depressing and sad ... getting old is a b-----, considering I am closer than farther away from this descension, it was a hard watch. I will have to admit I have been feeling my age of late - when I look in the mirror I see my mother looking back at me when she was my age. Up until now I have fought the aging process tooth and nail with some success, the tide has changed people and I am not happy about it. After watching this, I am even less so.

I found the story choppy, I am not sure if that was intentional or not - were they using this to make us feel Maud's mental state, so we are walking the same path she is, or was it poor editing? I will give them the benefit of the doubt and say they were mimicking her dementia - the only question that leaves me is, was that necessary? I almost think not.

The other point, why does no one tell Maude what happened to Elizabeth - or do they, and she just doesn't remember and can't tell us? I found that murky, even in Elizabeth's state of mind, she still had definite moments of clarity, she would have remembered at some point and would have written it down for herself like she did before to remember current things. Why didn't the daughter (or granddaughter) write that down for her? It was a simple thing to do, and it is the simple things that make a difference.

I told my Mother her address and phone number - use to tell her if anyone asks tell them that you and your daughter live together at your house - and told her her children's names over breakfast every morning for the longest time. It took us an hour and a half to eat breakfast every morning and she was always at her best then - this was when she could best assimilate information, so I used that time to talk to her and keep her with me. Truthfully, where was she going without me that she needed to tell people her address... nowhere. She never went anywhere without me and couldn't speak in terms that anyone other than me understood... that was not the point, the point was to keep her mind focused on who she was. I would tell her the plans of the day and we would chit chat about old times. That time was precious time and I was not going to squander it. Didn't matter what she remembered at the end of the day, what was important is that she started her day with a strong sense of self and that made a great deal of difference. We started anew every day.

Let me stop, because many of us here have walked this road and understand. Watching this just brings it all front and center again.

3 weeks ago
soler
expert

WOW Brit ...... I was all set to sit thru a good mystery .... didn't expect this . Had I known it was all about Alzheimers / dementia I wouldn't have watched. Hits too close to home. Brought back those days I was caregiver to my mother before I got overwhelmed and exhausted and had to put her in a nursing home. Care giving to a loved one with dementia will turn you're life up side down . I did it for too long and I recognize that now , should have paid more attention to my own mental and physical health , prolonged stress will take anybody down but I survived it and have such empathy for anyone I see starting down that road. Glenda Jackson did a fantastic job and I could see in certain scenes that dementia behaviour had been studied and imparted into the actors responses. Elizabeth was never missing , Sure Maud had been told . They left out the part " I told you a hundred times she's in the hospital " That's what you do with dementia you just accept what they say , what's the point in trying to correct. Erased from my PVR , never to be seen again. Now, just waiting for All Creatures ... to start. LOL

3 weeks ago

prolonged stress will take anybody down...

Yes, it will.

They left out the part " I told you a hundred times she's in the hospital " ...

Which is why the story was less about the mystery (of Elizabeth) and more about dealing with dementia. That was a ride that we did not need to go on, since there was no mystery there. Feels a little like a bait and switch to me. What happened to Maud's sister was the mystery. I too erased it from the DVR the minute it was over, like you, never to be seen again.

I am happily waiting for All Creatures to start - I never was interested in watching the original, but this new adaption has really caught my attention. It has a great cast and the scenery looks to be spectacular. I hope it lives up to expectations.

3 weeks ago

Deedee, I am enthralled with The Stranger! I realize it does not have the sophistication that Swedish and British mysteries have - I read that this is the best Korean detective series to date, so they are still developing the genre. What it does have is intrigue in spades and a well crafted story that has twists and turns in every episode. I am enjoying learning a bit about the culture as well. I am finding it all so interesting. There is a second season and I am going to continue on after I am done with the first. This may not be for you, so I am going to temper my recommendation, but I give this much higher marks than the Finnish crime drama I last watched, Deadwind.

3 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

I too am back watching The Stranger, Brit.

Unless there are dead animals, this seems to be right up my alley. There must have been more to choose from on streaming, unlike now, which is why I paused watching it.

Thank you for sharing, Brit. I found EIM suffocating and not well written. Why was she allowed to wander off again at the end? Oh well, as you say, hopefully ACG&S is good.

3 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, forgot to share, I now have NHK on my favorites FIOS selection. They had recently a man who creates Osechi, and it looked (per Midnight Diner, TS, etc.) heavenly.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/osechi-ryori-japanese-new-year-food/

3 weeks ago
soler
expert

I am happily waiting for All Creatures to start - I never was interested in watching the original, but this new adaption has really caught my attention.

I was not a regular viewer of the original , Brit . The problem was Siegfried Farnon , played by Robert Hardy. Could only take Hardy in small doses. He was such a presence in that show that he was just about in every scene. Just couldn't take the grunting and snorting that came out of him while he was delivering his lines . lol ( he probably thought it was great acting ) Because of that , the first character I' ll be looking at will be Siegfried Farnon . lol Can't get that picture of the Golder Retriever resting his head on Herriot's shoulder when there driving in the car. Next door neighbor has a GR and it's the nicest dog.

3 weeks ago
appara2
guru

I watched, but feel the same as the rest of you. Her portrayal of the devestation of alzheimers/dimentia was beyond words. I don't know what I expected of Elizabeth Is Missing, but I sure didn't need that degree of sadness on my screen. Kudos to her and the rest of the cast, but I'm not going to put this at the top of my list of recommends to friends.

3 weeks ago

Deedee, the Hubs and I had raimen noodles last night! We found a local place that is getting great reviews so we gave them a try (take out)... it was very good, so much so, we are going back next weekend. These are Japenese style... I stayed away from the ones with an egg as I was afraid it would be too undercooked for me. (This happened to me in France, I ordered Fettuccini Carbonara once and didn't realize that they serve it with an raw egg on top - which you mix with the hot pasta, cream and cheese in your bowl - the egg does cook with the heat, but visually it was not appealing to me).

I am always craving noodles these days, so I think we will be visiting often.

2 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, you read my mind. I have a list of 28 - yes, 28! - restaurants around Westchester that I can't wait to try, WHEN and IF we finally get our vaccine. Meanwhile, we do take out.

One of them is Roc N Ramen, in our hometown of New Rochelle. Hubby would fall off his chair, but I love the idea of a raw egg you mix in.

There's a new local sushi place as well. I hope all those 28 are still there when we FINALLY get our vaccine.

ACG&S wasn't bad. I think I read that the actor really did put his arm up..................poor baby veal.

13 days ago

Deedee, I knew you would be right there with the raw egg, you are a bravier soul than me! I have already picked out my list of different noodle dishes to try. I like a combination of wontons/Japenese dumplings (which are lighter, less doughy than the American Chinese version we know) mixed with the ramen noodles... carb overload, I know, but go big, or go home. A mouthful of noodles, then a steamed pork and shrimp dumpling dripping with broth.... makes my mouth water just to think of it! My next selection does not include both, so I am going to order them separately and add them to the dish. I am getting to sound like the Samuria Gourmet!

12 days ago

Soler, I can only take Robert Hardy in small amounts... a few scenes of him as a guest star on a favorite show is fine, more than that and I have had enough of him. He irritates me as an actor. I would not be able to enjoy any show where he is the main character. Just not my cup of tea.

Wasn't he in Pride and Prejudice? No, it was Sense and Sensibility. There I didn't mind him, but again, he was not a main character and was continually overshadowed by Elizabeth Spriggs' Mrs. Jennings, who filled up the screen everytime she was in a scene, which were mostly with him. It kept him to a low roar and tolerable.

The new version of ACG&S was okay...this is not my usual type of thing, I need to acknowledge that, I do think it will improve as the story continues, next week's episode looks promising. I am just glad to have something heartfelt to watch that I do not have to gringe about. It will grow on me I am sure.

The scenery is stunning. My sister, another Anglophile, loves Yorkshire and mentions it often as a place she wants to visit, so it is nice to get a glimpse of it through the program. I pay more attention to the countryside being shown because of this.

12 days ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit ..... the new ACG&S for me is a vast improvement over the old , simply because Hardy isn't in it. LOL Hard to over shadow Elizabeth Spriggs in anything , in Midsomer she was the perfect Iris Rainbird and in a latter ep. she played her sister Ursula Gooding. She over shadowed Tom Barnaby and sidekick quite easily. Thought the first ep. was quite good , set up Harriot with his home background in Scotland and Farnon with house keeper where he had too much work to do alone and needing an assistant ( What was Harriot the 5th or 6th to apply ? because of Farnon's abrupt manor ) Though not much of a story line with this series , it's O.K. because I'm not looking for much of a story line . We have 2 country vets looking after farm animals and dealing with erratic , quirky , obstinate and sometimes eccentric farmers . That's all it is , but pleasant to watch. Speaking of Yorkshire , my cousin married a Yorkshire girl . Remembered asking him one time what Yorkshire was like and he asked me if I ever saw ACG&S and I told him I did .. and he said it's just like that . After they both retired they lived 6 months here and 6 months over in Yorkshire, ( she kept the family home ) they used Yorkshire as a spring board for vacations in Europe. Hope things in D.C. settle down soon , awful business.

11 days ago

Hope things in D.C. settle down soon , awful business...

Soler, I think many of us in the States have been in shock trying to absorb the enormity of what happened at our Capital. As the days have gone by, and more video footage has come out, the horror of it has sunk in. I usually do not watch TV during the day, because of the recent election I have been glued to the TV watching the news throughout the day, so I was watching as it all happened in real time. It is a very, very sad time for us.

My local PBS station, the one that has been rerunning Morse (which is in it's second airing - this week Masonic Mysteries is being shown guest starring Kevin Whately's wife Madelaine Newton) is now also airing Miss Marple again!

There are three episodes coming... one of Geraldine McEwan's, 4:50 from Paddington and two of Julia McKenzie's. I plan on definitively watching GM as I enjoy her as Miss Marple. Julia McKenzie is another story entirely, but I might give her a try. I think of all her episodes I watched about three, I gave up as I was not a fan of them or her as Miss M.

I do have the Miss Marple DVD's (Joan Hickson and Geraldine McEwan), yet there is something comforting about turning on the TV and there she is again. Same with Morse, I have the DVD's as well, yet I still watched the series episodes on TV each week with great enjoyment. I catch snippets of the episodes again on the rerun. I guess the golden age of PBS just runs in the blood.

11 days ago
soler
expert

it is a very, very sad time for us.

Sad indeed Brit... hopefully the worst is over.

yet there is something comforting about turning on the TV and there she is again. Same with Morse,

You have a good PBS station ... one that appreciates the old Brit shows. There is something different between popping in a DVD and seeing one of these shows being run on a network. Just gives ya a different feeling about it. Just watched a real oldie .. Dial M for Murder .. had it in my PVR off TCM . Real good ploy ya had to follow every line . Hadn't seen it in years . (1954 Ray Milland ).

10 days ago
appara2
guru

I saw your oldie Soler .... and I will top it with The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947) that I caught the other night LOL

For the past few months I have been watching Lewis - it's soon coming into Season 9, and then it's over. Not sure what they will put in their place, but I'm hoping for something equally entertaining.

10 days ago

Deedee, I finished the first season of The Stranger last night... what a wild ride!! The finale episode was great. The prosecutor's (Si-mok) relationship with the police officer (Han Yeo-gin) developed in to one very similar to the lead characters in The Tunnel, just in reverse.

You need patience for this one, the sub-titles do go by so fast that it is necessary to occasionally go back and re-watch to grasp what they are saying. I have had to do it two or three times each episode, sometimes rewinding several times. If you don't you lose the important facts to understand what it going on. The cultural differences are large, you miss what they are saying, you lose the essence of the plot because you can't impose (in your head) our judicial process or way on life on the story. I found it all so interesting. I would completely understand though how watching this series could be too much work, I get it, rewinding to read missed dialogue is a pain.

I am going to move on to Series 2 and I also plan on starting Bridgerton. Soler, have you watched this? It sounds like a spicy Downton Abbey to me. We will see. I also want to watch a few of The Crown episodes - I will start at the beginning with Thatcher, that should be enlightening to say the least. The preview shows a lot of shade being thrown around.

10 days ago
soler
expert

One thing about lockdown appara is ya get ta view all the old classics . Got a few more in my PVR that I'll be viewing over the next week or so. How are things in AB.

No Brit , I have not seen Bridgerton but ya got me curious now. Will have a look for it , as far as The Crown goes I still have a few eps. left to view myself.

9 days ago
appara2
guru

With 950 new cases yesterday, we are still in lockdown, although it was announced on the news last night that come Monday our hair salons will be allowed to open again and, because they are also essential....Tattoo and Piercing shops!

The rhyme and reason of Canuck lockdown continually amazes me! Stay Home, Stay Safe!
We are safe in Walmart and other big chain stores, but the Mom 'n Pop small specialty stores are rated as a serious danger zone and have to close - some now permanently as their rent and taxes could not be met! Children are safe interacting with friends and teachers in schools, but we aren't allowed to have friends or relatives in our homes.
Our elected officials have been vacationing in Cuba, Bahamas and the warmer USA locations because obviously that falls under 'essential travel'.

Are you sorry you asked Soler? LOL

9 days ago
soler
expert

LOL appara .... nothing worse than a politician tellin' ya ta stay home with tickets to Aruba in their pockets. With the way this vaccine is rollin' out were gonna be in lockdown for the next 5 years. GGGRRRRRR ^%$##$

8 days ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I gave up again on Stranger. As far as I can see, they take an entire season (a lifetime these days) to bring down the evil bosses. I don't have the patience. Too bad, the actors are very good and I would have appreciated a four episode storyline.

I could have sworn I saw Idris Elba in the lead of Lupin, and was staying away, he tends to chew the scenery. Fortunately, I gave it a shot, and it's quite good. I don't know the lead actor, and that's good. Then again, I just began it, but so far, so good.

7 days ago

Yes Deedee, they do - the season is thirteen episodes long and the last three episodes are doozy's, there is no letting up near the end, this story picks up steam halfway through and goes out on full speed. So, you are correct, you either commit to following it through to the end, or don't dive in.

The PBS station was telling you all about - it is one of the small stations out of Pa., they have added Poirot to their line up. So they are airing Morse, Miss Marple and Poirot. I swear it is like taking a step back in time. They are running the newer episodes, I must of missed a few in S11 of Poirot, because I am coming in on Third Girl. "Appointment with Death" is next after that. Remember Deedee, we hated that with a passion and vowed never to watch it again, for me it was the worst - I put it below Suchet's "Murder on the Orient Express", so that tells you how much I disliked it. I won't be going near that one!

There are only the two Poriot's listed in the Guide at the moment, it is taking the Tuesday night 8:00 PM slot with Marple airing on Saturday night with Morse to follow. I am hoping they will continue on. They are also running Endeavour, Midsomer Murders, Murder in Paradise, Father Brown (and some others) along with all the recent PBS shows.

So Saturday night schedule is two episodes of Keeping Up Apperances, two episodes as Time Goes By, Miss Marple and then Morse. Is that a time warp or what? I need to donate to the station, they deserve the support.

BTW, I don't remember if iI mentioned this, I did finally finish watching the early Poriot canon, all the original 50 minute episodes. I loved it!

7 days ago

Soler, I watched two episodes of Bridgerton, this is a Jane Austen style story on steroids. It is being called a romp, and that it is... very tongue in cheek, quite spicy, needs to be watched for what it is, a bit of escapism. I really don't know what you will think!

7 days ago
soler
expert

Brit .... that PBS station in Pa. , sounds like ya found you're self a little gold mine . All those old shows given air time ... nothin' better. From the way you described Bridgerton .. noooot so sure I'm gonna look so hard for it . LOL but if I come across it , I'll give it a look. I will not pass it by because last night for some strange reason I watched Miss Scarlett and the Duke before ACGAS , after being quite convinced I wouldn't like IT based on the preview. Well , guess what , I enjoyed it , to my surprise ...... so , just goes ta show ya.

6 days ago

Yes, I did. The Miss Marple actually was a Joan Hickson, I was watching the intro and I was saying, this is the original one - you don't forget this kind of stuff, it stays with you - sure enough it was. I have not had a local PBS station run a Hickson Marple ever! I can't tell you the last time I saw her on my TV screen without popping in a DVD...yes, I can, it has to be in the heyday of A&E. I am hoping that the next two episodes are her's as well. I know I am wallowing in nostalgia, but right now, I am finding it comforting to take a step back in time.

If you find Bridgerton and decide to give it a go, I would do it with only one eye opened. :)

6 days ago
deedee713
guru

I do have the Miss Marple DVD's (Joan Hickson and Geraldine McEwan), yet there is something comforting about turning on the TV and there she is again. Same with Morse, I have the DVD's as well, yet I still watched the series episodes on TV each week with great enjoyment. I catch snippets of the episodes again on the rerun. I guess the golden age of PBS just runs in the blood.

You are correct, Brit. I have the DVDs but don't watch them. I will probably donate them to the VVA, as I did my VCR collection. Time marches on. It was and is more fun to watch them on a station and talk about them. PBS failed us there, no surprise. It is about money.

I envy you your unique PA PBS station, those here in NY are still vomiting up SPECIAL programming instead of quality programming. I tried ACG&S again and am done with it. I won't try the costume dramas nor the Murdoch Lite program.

I don't remember Appt. with Death, but probably with good reason. Was Poirot a religious fanatic in that one, or worse?

Yes, it does run in the blood, I can still hum the song from Hickson's Marple and from Davison's Campion. Do I care that I cannot get into the current spate of shows on the new and unimproved PBS? No.

No, I'm not thrilled to be paying extra to have Netflix because cable and PBS are pathetic - oh they throw us a bone with Allam and Lesser and Unforgotten - but War of the Worlds and Chernobyl and Lupin fill the void, even if it is now a very small void. Much like the reduced containers of OJ that we have to be satisfied with.

Change, or die, I guess.

5 days ago
akhildas

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

4 days ago
akhildas

4 days ago
akhildas

4 days ago
akhildas

4 days ago
soler
expert

Soler, I watched two episodes of Bridgerton, this is a Jane Austen style story on steroids. It is being called a romp, and that it is... very tongue in cheek, quite spicy, needs to be watched for what it is, a bit of escapism. I really don't know what you will think!

Hey Brit .... have watched a few eps. of Bridgerton . Kind of a hoot , really. I call it a ' spoof ' of the Austen style . The snootiness of these high society types borders on the comical along with the razor tongue jabs . Well done production , I'll give it that , seems no money was spared . I'll put this in the category of my LAPTOP VIEWS ... that is , I'll watch it with one eye over the laptop. Still picking off film noir eps. off TCM and puttin' them in PVR for later viewing . Seem ta be in a mood for them as of late.

4 days ago

It definately is a hoot, Soler. I see it as some fun, not to be taken seriously. The costumes are beautiful, the women are wearing exquisite gowns. The daughter of the "mean" mom, Polly Walker, the full figured girl with the coppery curly hair - her dresses are the prettiest of all. Take a close look, she had one with all little flowers in various hues that ran all along the top... oh my, took my breath away. To me, she is the loveliest of the bunch, I am routing for her to make the match she desires. The photography/color and scenery in the production is top notch. No money was spared as you say. For that alone (and the clothes) it is worth watching.

I watched a TCM classic last night I had DVR'ed, The Women from 1939. Certainly a product of it's time, but always a fun watch.

I am going back to watching the events of the day... :), :), :).

4 days ago

Deedee, "Appointment with Death" was worse. The scene with the abusive mother is played over and over. It was horrible. The movie version that was made with Peter Ustinov and Lauren Bacall in 1988 was far superior. Suchet did not even come close on this one.

Third Girl, with my guy Peter Bowles (which is a favorite) is coming up next. I hope they continue on and air Three Act Tradegy with Martin Shaw. I can watch this one over and over, I love him with Suchet...perfect casting.

4 days ago
soler
expert

Brit .. have ya seen the second ep. of ACGAS . Have watched the second ep. twice now and can't help noticing Mrs. Hall ( Anna Madeley ) , Farnon's housekeeper. She looks familiar and I couldn't place her . I wanted to sort her out before I went to her IMDB page. Thought she might have been in a few Midsomers as I watch so many of them but I couldn't place her there either. So, I gave up and went to IMDB .. no Midsomer or a few other places I thought she may have come from . Only , The Crown .. which I never would have guessed . Oh well , she is not a mystery any more.

Congrats on you're new Pres. ....... All I here is silence .... the sound of silence ... just Biden quietly goin' about doin' his job. LOL

2 days ago

Soler, I have finished the first two episodes of The Crown and I think these will be my last. I have had enough of these people. Gillian Anderson's portryal of Thatcher is unnerving, I know she is a less than empathetic character, but it is so far over the top, it is grasping. In truth, I do not care for this cast outside of Diana, including Olivia Coleman who I feel is terribly miscast.

By accident the first episode popped up on my screen and there was Claire Foy again and for a few moments there was light... of course, this was when the life of the Queen was young and hopeful. Without her, the series has suffered.

The one scene I was hoping to see, Diana at the Whitehouse dancing with John Travolta never came to be. So with that knowledge I will say adieu, because I rather not sit and watch them as they devour her, or try to. I realize she saw being Princess as her destiny, or fate, but all I want to do is shout at the TV screen for her to run as far from these people as she could go.

I have come to see how truly horrid they are, the lot of them. I don't think I am the only one who has come to that realization. People's facination with the series has dwindled as it has progressed through the seasons partly for this reason. Of course, the royals will always have their staunch supporters. I can only hope that the Duchess of Cambridge brings some much needed warmth and humility to the monarchy moving forward.

2 days ago

Recent chatter about Anthony Horowitz's Magpie Mysteries... Lesley Manville will star as the leading character, Susan. I really like her, she can do it all, comedy to high drama, and she makes a character her own. PBS is co-producing the series which will be a aired on Masterpiece this coming season, I am assuming during the Mystery season. Something to look forward to.

2 days ago

https://www.pbs.org/video/inside-the-mind-of-agatha-christie-hsolkj/

I am dropping this off, Soler you may not have access, I know, but you may want to give it a try. Deedee, it is also available on Prime I understand. To sum it up, the cozy days of Agatha are over, most of this highlights the recent adaptions (Suchet gets a few monments of air time, but that is all) and gives the new Christie adapter Sophie Hannah a voice rearding her spin on the author. If you thought Christie's grandson did her no favors - haven't seen him in years and he has aged quite a bit - you will meet the great grandson, who seems to relish in the more darker aspects of her stories. Kind of reminded me of when Christie's daughter, who we know kept a strong arm on her mother's legacy, was supersed by her son. Well, the torch is again being passed on, or so it looks, and I think we will see no cozy creations moving forward.

What I think will happen is that Hannah's books will be made in to movies and given her, and the great grandson's perspective, Poirot will continue on with a darker edge.

I do get that the murders themselves are grisly, Midsomer Murders is the same way, if you look at the violence on it's own it is dark, how is murder not so? With Christie though, it was the world and characters she developed for the reader... the crimes themselves were dark, but the story wasn't. This was her tour de force and we gobbled it up. The younger generation, those who were not yet born when Hickson and Suchet first came to be, are more attracted to darker stories and less to the village life and eccentric characters that were so much a part of what make her stories so endearing to so many.

Interestingly, they highlighted Malkovich's ABC Murders, which was very dark, hard and unpleasant, no other way to say it, and not a great success. It lost him a further role as Poirot, unlike Branagh, who kept his portrayal of Poriot lighter and more in keeping with the character we know. They also highlighted the recent "And Then Their Was None", but made no mention of "Witness to the Prosecution" which I think still remains an Acorn TV exclusive (from the BBC). OMG, what a horror that is. I don't think that will ever get wide distribution on the local PBS circuit. It will remain buried at Acorn as it should.

2 days ago

Soler, thanks for the congrats! It feels like taking in big gulps of air after you can't catch your breath.

BTW, I know her too, (AM), but cannot place from where, let me look her up... okay, I saw her recently on Deadwater Fell (on Acorn TV) that is why she looks so familar. Don't worry, you did not miss much with that one, I had high hopes, but it was rather a disappointment for me.

2 days ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.