TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

5 years ago
Comments
alastair
expert

Thanks, Brit!

11 days ago
deedee713
guru

Thank you, Alastair. Two good pieces of news.

Glad to read that the cast of the Miss Fisher movie contains some of the original actors. Like Dr. Blake, Phriney and Jack had just kissed at the air strip and blammo, no more series.

SO glad to read that Unforgotten is returning, it is rare that I enjoy a rerun as much as the original. I hated Tom Courtenay as much as the first time! Excellent show.

11 days ago
soler
expert

Things are starting to look up Brit .... Unforgotten S3 starting on April 7 and don't forget Mrs. Wilson starting March 31 , will probably watch an ep. or 2 of Les Miserables , not sure about this one , don't think it's gonna be a mystery but will give it a little bit of a view. Got Ordeal By Innocence ep 1 viewed .... It's a dark one . Love the rambling country manor setting , my fav. mystery setting. lol This is one horribly dysfunctional family . lol Leo Argyll ( Bill Nighy ) and Rachel Argyll ( Anna Chancellor ) are the parents of 5 or 6 adopted ( hateful ) kids. Rachel is bludgeoned to death Christmas Eve 1954. Story spins ahead to summer 1956 and carries on from there. Too early ta know who may have done it since their all capable. In mid 56 Bill is gonna marry his secretary who the kids all hate and she's the most hateful one of all lol From this point on don't want ta say too much because I don't want to give anything away and spoil it for ya when ya do get ta see it. Will only give light commentary. Demelza from Poldark is in it .. not too bad on the ol' hateful meter but time will tell. LOL

11 days ago
deedee713
guru

Wow, sounds right up my alley. Bill Nighy and inky dark? Where can Ordeal by Innocence be found?

Thanks.

Oh, and if anyone is into seriously dysfunctional dark sitcoms and likes Pamela Adlon, catch the new season of Better Things. Formerly directed by the pervert Louis C.K., the new season is helmed by Adlon, isn't that nice? Good for her. Anywho, she is an actor in the show and her director in the first episode is another Brit who came across the pond, presumably for the gold. No less than Kris Marshall. It saddens me when they leave the quality shows in the UK for the money in the U.S., but who can blame them? Acting is not exactly a stable business. I usually have to turn off Better Things, since she lets her bratty kids do as they wish.

11 days ago
soler
expert

dee ... up here I'm getting it on CBC ( Canadian Broadcasting Corp. ) don't know where you would get it down there.

11 days ago

Soler, don't worry about giving out too much info, we all know the story of "Ordeal by Innocence", so there are no surprises there, or maybe there are because I did read that they made changes to Christie's original, but anyway, I am interested in hearing how well they pulled this adaption off. I am expecting more dark and brooding than we have seen in the past versions, but also given the cast, some excellent performances. I am interested to know how many stars (*) you give it!

Deedee, it is streaming on Amazon Prime which I think you have.

10 days ago

I finished the last of the Atkinson Maigret remakes last night... S2E2, "Maigret in Montmartre".

Excellent!

What I find especially compelling is that the Atkinson productions tackled two of my least favorite Maigret stories - two of the most well known, mainly because of the strong characterizations - but also among the darker of the stories in the canon.

I have seen both more than several times and at this point did not relish watching them again. Yet, I found myself pulled in once more and throughly enjoying it. That says alot. As with "Night at the Crossroads" (which I mentioned in my post above) it is very well done. I take my hat off to those involved, it may have been a short run for the series, but one to be proud of.

And to think, I was not even going to bother watching...well, I have been reminded not to be so jaded that I don't keep an open mind. Life carries no surprises if you don't!

10 days ago
deedee713
guru

Thanks, Brit! I 'think' I have seen it, this is one of those senior moments. I will know once I start it.

Weren't they good? So of course it was natural that would be cancelled.

That's what is so valuable about our last white rhino of a conversation board, Brit. We share here, and I always get more than I give. Let's hope there isn't a poacher out there.

Oh, and no surprise, I am enjoying MM with Neil Dudgeon so much more than with Nettles. It is still a hokey show a la Miss Marple (SO many murders in such a small town) but the ensemble seems to have relaxed. I am reminded of your 'sucking the air out of the show' quote! Last night's offering, delightfully, had Edward Fox in it. LOVED him to DEATH in Day of the Jackal, and he is still mesmerizing.

10 days ago

Okay, I am going to have to practice what I preach on this one... did I just say something about being open-minded? I had no idea when I said that I would be testing it so soon!

http://britishperioddramas.com/news/miss-marple-2019-new-tv-series-big-little-lies/

Yep, hot off the presses, Prichard is at it again.... Interesting, I read comments regarding this and we are not the only ones who feel the way we do about him, there were quite a few that echoed the same sentiment, that it is all about the $$$ for him.

Is this an American company? I am not sure if they are considering an American version of Miss Marple or if they are going to continue in the British tradition. In any event, we won't be seeing this on PBS.

10 days ago

Deedee, I am a little surprised that you have had a change of heart regarding "Midsomer Murders", but it is a different show without John Nettles and the Tom Barnaby clan and for you, he was always the sticking point. If you are liking what you are seeing there is plenty to enjoy moving forward as the franchise has remained strong.

I am not a ND fan myself, I have pulled back from the series since all the changes. I am the first to understand how much a revamp in the main character can also change your whole perception of a series. I am watching MHz's "Brunetti" series again and I like the first series the best with the original actor. In the second season someone else took on the role and carried on with the series for twelve seasons (or so).... he became "the" Brunetti for most people, yet I never took to him.

You like who you like, it is not something you can always explain or need to.

10 days ago
soler
expert

Yep, hot off the presses, Prichard is at it again....

LOL LOL Hard ta say Brit .... what he's got in mind . That Bruna is an Aussie working out of the U.S. If it does turn out too be an U.S. version of Miss Marple ... I think of that Brit show that was redone as an US version and it was awful , the guy who played it is dead , can't think of his name or the show. Good picture of Joan Hickson . As for MM ... am on Nettles last ep. today . Next week start the dreaded Dullgeon run .

10 days ago
deedee713
guru

I find it interesting myself, Brit, that's why I used your lovely analogy! When I saw Nettles on the screen, my teeth itched and he took away from all the other characters - oh my poor Barry Jackson he is still in the first season with ND - and all I could see was Nettle's hip hopping walk and teeth clenching and talking down to Jones. I invariably turned it off. True, there is a conceit to ND, but he seems to blend better with the ensemble.

Ditto on Vera and Aiden vs Joe. I guess it shows how fickle the human mind is and how quickly we forget those who aren't there. Speaking of which, first Luke Perry and now Jan Michael Vincent? Sheesh. I'm not liking old age, at all.

I wish Amazon would buy MHZ and put me out of my misery so I can watch their lineup. Brilliant of them to control Acorn and Britbox. I know Bezos is a megalomaniac but I am glad to see their lineup.

Oh good grief, I had seen that about the git Pritchard and Miss Marple but couldn't figure out who was playing Miss Marple and so contained my fury at the stupidity and utter filthy greed of the man. I still don't see a name, do you? I'm sure it will stink to high heaven, as the other youngsters did in their adaptions, fortunately I can't even remember them.

Did you see that Endeavour is coming back? I don't know what they've been up to in the new series, but there are heavy spoilers on the internet, and again, I can't figure out where they went in the finale. We'll soon know. I HOPE they don't kill off Thursday!

10 days ago

Did you see that Endeavour is coming back?

Yes, and we will be seeing it this Masterpiece Mystery season, I think. I have also seen much written about it, comments flying everywhere. I have refrained from reading anything specific, but there was shock and angst involved. I have a feeling we are headed for quite a ride. I think we are going to have plenty to talk about!!

I have been bingeing on MHz series of late... Maigret, Montalbano, Nero Wolfe, Wallander, Brunetti, I am having a MHz fest. I recently finished Beck. I am going back to my MHz roots, reliving the good old days once again. I usually put one of the shows on late at night when I am curled up in bed. Great nighttime viewing as the pace is slow, the stories are not too graphic and my ear is back to being tuned in to the various languages. Except the German of Brunetti, it is a harsher language than French or Italian. Maigret helps me with my French pronunciation which I desperately need. I love listening to the language, makes me feel connected to my adopted home which I miss so much.

9 days ago

Deedee, I also want to acknowledge Jan Michael Vincent's passing. I got sidetracked in my posts, but he has been on my mind and I am glad you remembered him. He was so popular when we were coming of age, he had an envious career in the 70's and 80's. I remember him fondly in the 1983 "The Winds of War" mini-series, one of my all time favorites, with Robert Mitchum. He was mostly forgotten in the last twenty years.... his addictions got the better of him, his life unraveled and he died penniless in obscurity. He deserves to be remembered for his accomplishments when he was riding high. I keep thinking what a shame it was that there was no safety net for him when life took a downturn.

7 days ago

Alastair, I was in the mood to watch something light and fun and my go to for that is our dear Agatha Raisin. I finally watched the first episode of her second series. I don't know if it has been aired on your local PBS station as yet, Acorn TV usually keeps it's series exclusive for sometime before they make them available to PBS. The first episode was really good, slightly different in that it was a team effort with her Cotswold friends (Roy was there of course, I consider him one of the Cotswold locals at this point) that solved the most recent murder. It was an uplifting episode, very much emphasizing the positive and moving forward in life.

6 days ago

Agatha was her glorious self dressed to the nines, I enjoy seeing what she is wearing as much as watching her solve the mystery. They changed things up a bit, she is no longer carrying the red handbag that in the previous season was a constant, as red was her signature color. This episode, she had a new bag to match each outfit.... The one sad thing was to see Ashley Jensen, she played the role to the hilt as she always does, but my goodness, she is stick thin, emaciated really, and looks ten years older. You could see that she was in the throes of grief from the death of her husband when the episode was filmed. I remember when the announcement was made that she was starting to film S2, it was only six months after her husband passed and I thought how difficult that was going to be for her. I realize that getting back to work probably was the thing that helped her move forward, but the shock of losing him so young and unexpectedly was apparent. My heart goes out to her. I know she will bounce back, but that takes time.

6 days ago
deedee713
guru

Oddly, Brit, I don't remember watching anything with him in it, but I remember how prevalent he was in entertainment news (or whatever it was way back when). His name was everywhere. It's a shame to learn that these folk who seemed to have it all also have feet of clay. I agree on a safety net, perhaps one was there and he didn't take advantage of it? Heck, even Bud Abbott took advantage of The Old Actor's Home in LA at the end of his life.

Have you seen Britbox and Acorn lately? Do you have both? Manhunt with Martin Clunes is new to Acorn. I hope this influx of new programming is worth watching.

I still can't remember why I quit watching a show I thought I would love - from Wales, in Welsh (!), with subtitles. I know it was dark, which is a no brainer for me, but I dropped it. LOL, I can't even remember the name.

6 days ago

Deedee, I have Acorn, not Britbox. I haven't seen "Manhunt" as yet, but plan to. I am also interested in the Aussie mystery, "Winter". Have you watched it?

I watched the second episode of "Shakespeare and Hathaway", I enjoyed it as light viewing and for its' chocolate box world... having had a further look at it though, I don't think you will like it for the long haul. I have a feeling you would watch the first series and be done with it.

6 days ago

The thought has crossed my mind, I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but we are in a TV viewing renaissance of sorts. It is quite something when you think about it, but we have come full circle and we are almost back to where we started. There is only the four of us left, people have come and gone in our travels, but here we stand as the last of an on-line community of devoted PBS and British TV viewers.

Think of it, what we talking about and preparing to watch... Soler is now watching a Christie remake, Poirot has been redone once again, twice, (and maybe more to come) and a new Miss Marple remake will be out next year. We have "Endeavour" and "Unforgotten" coming up this mystery season, along with Masterpiece's "Miss Wilson." Granted, not everything we watch comes from PBS or A&E like the old days, but now we have greater access through streaming services of our own choosing. There is quality programming still out there, our "Vera", the new "Maigret", just to mention my two, there are many more. Soler loves "Last Tango in Halifax" and PBS is bringing that back. My point is that we are, once again, reliving a time of abundance and choice.... we might not like it all, but we didn't like it all back in the good old days either.

I looked at the series that were being aired around the time I first joined the PBS board, which was sometime after the Masterpiece Mystery season of 2005 and before 2006. That is the time when Geraldine McEwan was introduced as Miss Marple. Deedee, you and Soler were not faves, but I came to love her as Miss Marple (along with Joan Hickson).

5 days ago

And, now here we are again, in the midst of new Christie versions and remakes. We are not going to like all of these either, but you have to say it is a familar world. Back then we had "Inspector Lynley", "Jericho"... "Morse" was over, but "Inspector Lewis" was the new kid on the block. Most of us were not great "Lewis" fans, although I did come to really like it in the later years, you all had jumped ship by then. The next year brought "Foyle's War", Soler and Deedee, a fav for both of you.

Our TV world today is not all that different than it was back then, it is just not all centered on one or two vehicles like before. PBS does not have it all, and now A&E has none. That is how we all met Alastair, at one time, A&E rivaled PBS in it's programing and we found a comfortable home there for a while on its' Vintage Board. I remember "Midsomer Murders" had a home on A&E for a number of years. In truth, for a time A&E surpassed PBS in programing. They had it all from mysteries to Jane Austen... who could forget when "Pride and Predjudice" first aired. That was one of the major tv events of all time.

I just think we should take stock and relish what we, once again, have. There were a number of lean years where we had little to look forward to and if we didn't talk about older series, we had nothing to talk about at all. It may only be our little group left, yet, that in it self is really something.

5 days ago
deedee713
guru

All true, Brit. I too was thinking about how much I put on my Watchlists and then forget where they are! I know I am looking forward to Manhunt, and a number of other shows. I tried Bletchley Circle, San Fran, and all I can say is blech. IMO, they ruined a very good thing. I still watch reruns of reruns of Dr. Blake, over and over, sometimes twice in the same day.

You have a very good memory, Brit. I am looking forward to Trapped (Icelandic mystery), it seems forever since it was on.

I too am glad we are here - no matter if And Then There Were Four, we are still here and that's what counts.

I can't find Winter in Amazon (only for sale) or in Netflix. Where is it to be seen?

How is Miss Buddy, by the way? Ricky is suddenly beset with three different serious maladies, my poor old man. I am not handling it well.

5 days ago

Oh dear, so sorry to hear about Ricky. Of course you are not handling it well, it is the worst when our pet children are ill. I get crazy when my kids are not well. The senior years can be tough years, when I met the hubs I became step-mom to his two cats who were already in their teens. Keeping them going as they aged was a full-time job. One I did with gusto, but it is an emotional roller coaster.

Miss B. is fine. She needs a lot of attention, rabbits are not the easy pets people think they are, quite the contrary. As with your Ricky, she and her sister (our cat) are the joys of my life. I know people think I am insane for fussing over them as I do, but I am at the time of life where I could care less what anyone else thinks. One of the positives of getting older.

"Winter" is on Acorn TV!

4 days ago
deedee713
guru

Uh oh, a dead goose, possible dead livestock, and a possible dead police dog. Given the love of killing animals that these shows have, it doesn't look like I'll be watching Season two of Trapped.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/14/trapped-icelandic-drama-thrilling-saga-of-ice-and-fire?CMP=twt_gu

4 days ago
alastair
expert

Deedee, hope your cat gets well soon!
Yes, our pets are like members of the family..

4 days ago
alastair
expert

Yep, remember when A&E was referred to as the Arts and Entertainment network. Their airing of P&P was a milestone. That's when I signed up for their discussion Forum. Oh well, all good things eventually come to an end :(

4 days ago
deedee713
guru

Thank you alastair. Ricky (my miniature poodle) had been doing so well, and is suddenly old and sick. Thanks, Brit, I knew you'd understand my concern. I'm already getting 'you have to accept it' from people who do NOT understand.

Found it, thanks, Amazon Acorn does not make searching an easy task.

Here's hoping this place goes on and on.

4 days ago

Alastair, I have the box set of P&P videos as well as the CD set. Even though I own the CD's , I enjoyed watching the original videos more. There are six to eight videos in the set - I can't remember which right now - there is something about watching each, and making that decision "should I watch one more???" (and more often than not giving in) that brought a joy that could not be duplicated with the longer running CD's. It was just not the same. I remember staying up late, late into the night many times telling myself "just one more"!

3 days ago
alastair
expert

Brit, I remember many in our discussion group would binge watch the series, too. They would know the scenes and dialogue inside and out. Was a lot of fun back then - fond memories!

Oh, wanted to mention that's great Ashley Jensen is back for a 2nd season. Will be watching for eventual air dates here.

3 days ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I have yet to hunker down with any of my CDs and watch them in favor of a show on the television. I can't explain why.

I'm enjoying Manhunt, I think you will too. I'm parsing (word?) it out, it's only three tiny episodes long, and it's too good to watch in one sit.

I always marvel at a real actor's ability to immediately disappear in a role, make it theirs, and persuade the audience to forget their previous roles. Clunes is that good.

3 days ago

Alastair, I watched the first episode of S2 on Acorn TV, that was the episode I was talking about in my earlier post (above). I hope your local PBS station airs it soon! Just read that the series has been picked up for a third season, production to start this year.

2 days ago

Deedee, I am reading great reviews of "Manhunt" of which you concur. This is good news for Clunes who has always been concerned about being typecast by his role of the Doc. He is also starring in another new series "Warren", which will be out in the UK (I think) this year.

2 days ago

Deedee, two thumbs up for "Manhunt"! I am doing the same as you, watching an episode a night, it is too good to binge. Clunes portayal makes the series, you are so right, Clunes is that good. We need more of him in this role, I know this is a one-off, based on a true crime, but I would be very happy to see this expanded in to a series.

Alastair, this is not your genre, I know, but you would appreciate Clunes in the role. He is really getting a chance to expand his acting chops. As Deedee says, he disapears in to the character.

Soler, keep your eye out for this one, we are seeing it on Acorn TV here in the States, but like "Ordeal by Innocence", it may pop up on a channel you have access to.

12 hours ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I am finding episode three excruciating. The evil guy is SO evil, I can barely watch. I don't want it to end. I have already fast forwarded twice.

I haven't been this obsessed with a series since True Detective series one.

It is a hard watch, but Clunes deserves a BAFTA, like tomorrow!

11 hours ago

I am planning on watching episode three tonight. Thanks for letting me know, up until now it hasn't been difficult to watch because the focus has been the investigation alone. I would not have been prepared for what is to come. Thankfully, there is FF.

This has been quite a surprise, I did not expect it to be nearly as good as it is. And now, we are moving in to the Masterpiece Mystery season, we are on a good roll I think.

11 hours ago
deedee713
guru

Yes, isn't it good luck, having so many goodies available?

I misspoke, I fast forward to make sure I approve of the outcome, and then backtrack to where I left off.

LOL, I do this with many foreign shows that go overboard with animal murders (real ones, usually) or brutality towards women or children. If I am invested in the show, I FF and then either move on or go back.

Streaming has saved the television industry. I wonder who invented it?

9 hours ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.