TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

5 years ago
Comments

Deedee, in continuation as I posted this before... unfortunately, the site got wonky and I lost the post. I am going to go out on a limb here... as much as I love Joe, and you know I do, I am starting to love Aiden more. His relationship with Vera has grown in to one with intimate, lovely moments that show him to be a caring, kind, patient man who has the backbone to put her in her place when need be. He has a grace about him that Joe did not - I am not criticizing Joe, we all have our strong points, it is just that Aiden has this ability to understand and coddle Vera with nary a whisper of annoyance and yet can put her right when he has to without being harsh. He always speaks from his heart.

When I see Vera lean on him whenever she needs to put her blue booties on, and invariably hold on to the top of his head, something you and I would never do, but then again, we are not Vera... and he doesn't even raise an eyebrow - accepts the need as it is and is so graceful about it, I love him a little bit more.

Appara2, that is a good one!!

8 days ago

Soler, I did watch Grantchester last night. What a contrived storyline... obviously used as the vehicle to exit him out of the series, but such a poor choice. The Brits presuming that they could speak to the Black experience in Alabama in the 50's/60's (I was not quite sure what the time period that was suppose to be), I don't know why they even chose to go there. If it was an American writer, I did not check, all the worst. Sidney falling in love once again, leaving all behind to go to a place he knows next to nothing about... such a self indulgent, self obsessed, destructive character. It all made me recall why I never took to the series in the first place. I am glad to see the back of him and hope they move in a different direction with the new vicar and we see them leave all the baggage behind with James Norton's departure.

8 days ago
deedee713
guru

Just lost my post. No biggie, just kvetching about Endeavour, didn't like the entire season, glad to see the back of it next year (hopefully). Except for the supporting cast, the show is a pale imitation/prequel/whatever of Morse.

appara, I don't see a link.

Brit, you're quite right. At some point, Aiden really meshed with Vera, and in watching the early episodes, there was a brittleness to Joe and Vera - perhaps because of his wife? I guess she didn't watch too many British mysteries, didn't she know Joe would put work ahead of family? Yes, the little touches with Aiden are delightful. She IS Vera now, Brenda wears that part like the old raincoat!

After a rough start to the last series, Professor T is going out on a nice high. Not only did they cut off the show too early, but they brought it back 2 years later (2017) with someone to whom I won't give a chance.

Hoo boy, the new Grantchester was an enormous stinker. I never liked Norton, never, but the vehicle used to get him out of the show was obviously written in the dark. Really? So after spending most of our time falling in love with Amanda and every other female who dropped dead at the sight of him (blech), he suddenly falls in love again after a few weeks and simply has to rush off to America or he would die of a broken heart. Come on. And, why couldn't they make Leonard the lead vicar, wouldn't he be next in line? Noooo, they have to insert another pretty boy, so the females will get the vapors for the next many seasons.

8 days ago

Hoo boy, the new Grantchester was an enormous stinker. I never liked Norton, never, but the vehicle used to get him out of the show was obviously written in the dark. Really? So after spending most of our time falling in love with Amanda and every other female who dropped dead at the sight of him (blech), he suddenly falls in love again after a few weeks and simply has to rush off to America or he would die of a broken heart. Come on.

Exactly! I did watch part of last season so I knew how things had ended with Amanda. I had stopped watching at the beginning of the second season (I think) prior to that. Didn't matter, because things had not changed much. This on again, off again, angst had been going on since day one. This was the love of his life, the woman he was going to give up everything for... almost... and then without much ado, his heart is mended, he falls in love and takes off with a woman he barely knows to a place he doesn't know. Come on, is right!!

You know many of our favorite detectives were boozers and self destructive, it kind of goes with the genre. Ken Stott's, Rebus; Warren Clarke's, Dalziel; Shaw's, Morse; one of the worst, Robbie Coltrane's, Fitz. The list goes on, yet none of these characters were whiners. They were who they were and they got on with their lives. Sidney was a continual whiner who felt sorry for himself and thought of himself as the victim. The one thing I will say is that his new love knew exactly who he was, 'cause she called him on it. I found his character immature and he was nothing more than annoying by the end of it.

7 days ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit …… I found this Grantchester season opener a struggle. Fell asleep half way thru. What does that tell ya . Can't add much to you're and dee's assessment of this series , accept to say I won't be sad to see the last of Norton . Must say , will keep an open mind to see how the new Vic. turns out but I have for a long time now not been a fan of the clergy / crimefighter theme , so the new guy is gonna half to be quite an improvement . I guess the rest of the summer for me ( already mid July , time a flyin' ) will be to watch last season of Poldark and this new Grantchester . The new Poldark season starts the end of Sept. ( will try to get back into Poldark again when the new season starts.) Wouldn't mind seeing this mini series about T & T made back in 2015. This would be a good way to spend the rest of the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6cAIqEwPQ0

7 days ago
deedee713
guru

Couldn't agree more. He didn't whine like that with Amanda. They should have made a drinking game for the audience: take a shot when Sidney whines, waaaah, waaaah. We would all have been drunk by the end of the show.

And what, pray tell, was her attraction to Sidney? Oddest exit show for a character I've seen in recent memory.

I read a good review, can't find it now, that said pretty much the same thing and hoped the new guy would breathe fresh life into the show.

7 days ago
rocketpleasure

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

7 days ago
rocketpleasure

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

7 days ago
appara2
expert

Hey Soler, watched the link and wouldn't mind catching Pertners in Crime too! I checked my tv listing and didn't see it, so I'm thinking it's airing on a streaming service?

And as per usual I spent extra time down the rabbit hole that is youtube LOL
Enjoyed the Texas High Kick team on GotTalent, as well as the singing talent of Kodi Lee!

7 days ago

Soler and Appara2, the series is streamed on Acorn TV, which also has the original Partners in Crime TV series available as well. It is kind of a "two for", you have access to both. The original is a favorite of mine, although a bit dated. The trailer for the remake does look interesting and there was a lot of hoopla before it was aired. Unfortunately, the new series did not live up to expectations. Only one season was made, it was not renewed. I watched the first episode and didn't continue after that. That doesn't mean that you both wouldn't enjoy it, we all gravitate to different things... if it comes on a local PBS station, it is worth a whirl.

6 days ago
soler
expert

Hey Brit and appara2 …….. thought it would be a nice little touch ta fill in the summer but I did see a ' red flag ' in the fact that only one season was filmed. Always a bad sign . Wonder what the problem was …. bad story flow or maybe it was that the actors just didn't catch on with the viewers . Would still like ta see it.... Brit you watched the first ep. and that was it for ya lol ….. what was it that turned ya off ??

6 days ago

Soler, if I remember correctly the actors did not pull it off as well as expected - David Walliams was not a convincing Tommy, it wasn't a good casting decision... and Jessica Raine was not much better, I am afraid. The story writing was painful. I would like to be more positive, but I can't, unfortunately. It would have been nice if it went the way of the Maigret remake with Rowan Atkinson, which I think to many people's amazement (mine included) was very well done and hit the mark.

6 days ago

Soler, I didn't answer your question... sorry! I gave you the general reasoning why the series was not renewed. I read a lot of these types of comments when I was poking around to see what others thought about it. For me, it felt disjointed, nothing seemed to work. There was little about it that made me want to see more.

6 days ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit ....... remakes are sooo chancy . To follow in the footsteps of James Warwick and Francesca Annis are big shoes to fill. There is always that comparison of the original cast. These new actors were a couple of nobodies really .. at least I had never heard of them . For them it was not so much of a chance and they were probably at that stage in their carriers where they would not turn down work , any work. Bit different for established actors , the comparison is more risky for them . Of course it dosn't matter who ya get if the writing is bad and story line is disjointed . Would like to see a first class production of T & T done with good direction . Wouldn't mind seeing the original cast , Warwick and Annis return ... only draw back to this plan is they might be a little too old to take on the main roles .. would make for some good guest shots though. Couple in their forties would be good .. don't know who that could be.

6 days ago

Yeah Brit ....... remakes are sooo chancy.

Y
es, without a doubt, especially when you have an iconic piece you are trying to redo. I saw the Mary Poppins sequel on my way back from LV. It is a beautifully produced movie and you can sense the care that went in to making it. Now, did I expect to see or feel what I did from the original 1964 film with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. No. I did try to not compare the films, I didn't expect it to have the "heart" of the original and it didn't. Though beautifully done, it doesn't have ... I don't know quite how to express it... the deep down warmth of the original, nothing about it will stand the test of time... no one is going to be singing the songs and repeating the dialogue twenty years from now.
I enjoyed it as a diversion on the plane and was fine with it.

I do give Emily Blunt credit for taking on the role, which is one that I would think most actresses would shy away from. The comparison to Julie Andrews would not be a thing I think most would want as a defining moment in their career.

5 days ago
deedee713
guru

I was SOOOOOO looking forward to the second season return of Trapped, the Icelandic police show.

So, 30 dead and bloody sheep and don't forget the dead and bloody border collie later, I'm done.

As one commenter said on a Trapped board, the writers must hate animals.

What they could have done with an inference, they chose instead to do with closeups of a dog and sheep killed specifically for the show.

Funny, Brit, I may be the only person in the world never to have seen Mary Poppins or My Fair Lady, but Julie Andrews makes my teeth itch.

I shy away from remakes, or prequels or sequels, but Maigret was quite good. Endeavour is fair.

How do we report 'rocket...'? Why are his two posts still here?

4 days ago
appara2
expert

I have a feeling that there are going to be some more shakeups in Death in Paradise! I just finished watching Beyond the Shining Sea (Season 8)

3 days ago
deedee713
guru

Part 1 or 2, appara? I saw the finale and I'm not sure where everybody is. It's a very fluid show, I have to give it that.

2 days ago
appara2
expert

Sorry Dee, I should have said the second half. I was just so surprised with Florence making that career decision! And then I caught the preview for the next episode with Jack asking for a transfer! grrr!!! LOL

2 days ago
deedee713
guru

Ah. I missed episode 7 but saw 8. Won't say more.

I hate to say it, in deference to Brit, and it's SO out of character for me, but I actually like Ardal.

Only since he cut his hair, mind. He seems to have changed his character since he cut his hair.

2 days ago
appara2
expert

Next up for me is the Murder of the DJ on Saturday. I've given up on trying to keep track of the episode numbers for this series. My guide has it as 8-6, share has it named as 8-7. Either way, on Saturday night I will be following along on the murder of Dezzie Dixon!
I have eventually come to like most of the new additions, they might have taken a bit to settle in and make the job their own, but overall I enjoy the changes after a few episodes. The one that took the longest for me was the goofy niece, but she is pretty darn good at digging her job, so I've learned to deal LOL

2 days ago

What they could have done with an inference, they chose instead to do with closeups of a dog and sheep killed specifically for the show.

Deedee, this is so disturbing, I can never understand why they need to show scenes such as these, inference is all we need, there is absolutely no need to go beyond this, none. I tried to get information pertaining to this issue regarding the series and found none online. I would steer clear of series from Iceland and Denmark. The Swedes are more sensitive to this issue, I know that Krister Henriksson will not allow any animal to be harmed in the making of his Wallander series and I don't remember any of the Beck episodes (which I am currently watching) having an issue.

I am finding that too many of the newer series are going way over the top in violence towards women, children and animals. I am putting a halt to watching. When this happens, and it has before, I fall back on searching out older series and my favorites from days gone by. I want to be entertained by what I watch not horrified and repulsed by it.

In fact, I watched an a favorite last night... an Italian film, "Mid-August Lunch" with my luv, Gianni Di Gregorio, who both directed and starred in the movie. Did my heart good... for me, one of my all time favorite movies.

2 days ago

Appara2, I too, was surprised to see Florence leave. I became attached to her as time went on... I grow attached to all the new personalities once I have had some time to get to know them. Like you, I am usually not a fan of the new faces at first. It took some time before Florence grew on me, and now, I am sorry to see her leave. I am feeling the same way about Florence's replacement, who you will soon come to meet. I am not taking to her at all, but time will tell, I have changed my mind before with this series and I am sure I will again.

2 days ago

Well, we have episode two of Grantchester under our belt, and I have a question... is this a series on social commentary or is this a mystery series? I am confused, because it is touted as a mystery, yet I see so little of that going on and what is done, so poorly to boot. Who knew who the murderer was on third in to the episode? Yep, thinly veiled that was, and not much attention put in to making it a mystery at all. Although much attention is put in to telling us everyone's secrets and personal business and making inferences.

Leonard did fabulously this episode, he took on his role as Vicar and amateur sleuth with aplomb. I enjoyed watching him in Sidney's shoes and question why we need Will. Oh yes, Deedee reminded us, eye candy for the viewers! Leonard will now, once again, take a back seat. The problem is, now that we have seen Leonard emerge, and step up to the challenge, that image of him remains in our minds and we know he can do it. This is going to needle at us while we watch Will take charge. I wish they had a least allowed them to co-Vicar for a time, working together; both giving sermons and helping with investigations. This would have been the better route from my perspective. Eventually one of them might move on to other things, but with a good writer, neither would need to be written out of the series - the stories could expand to include the lives of both.

1 day ago

After looking at the previews for next week, I think I am going to bow out of the series for the rest of the season. The next story is going to be upsetting, which as I have said, is not entertaining, and I have no interest in seeing Cathy in her present situation. Does there have to be constant drama with the characters... this is worst then a soap opera. The woman finally found some enjoyment and purpose in life that is completely hers and now we have to watch his. Could they have not left her in peace for more than a few moments. And now, we are going to have to watch the sourpuss that is Mrs. Maguire as she deals with her knowledge of Leonard's life. How long is this going to go on?! They should have let things be for the time... there was a bright moment when all was well, but we were allowed only the one! No more fry ups for Leonard and the offer of an extra sausage - that was a great scene! Nah, they couldn't allow us a few more of those...

1 day ago
deedee713
guru

Oh boy, glad I didn't watch, Brit. I wonder if the other vicar was a woman, if she would have gone quietly when Pretty Boy was brought in to take charge? Is there some kind of implied prejudice here, as was evidenced when Sidney went to the head vicar, that a gay vicar couldn't be in charge? Even IF he proved himself, time and time again.

Sadly, I had to look up who Cathy was. Geordie's wife didn't have enough sturm und drang, she's getting more upheaval? Ah well, it was pretty good while it lasted.

I too had taken to Florence, after taking to Camille, and Kris and Danny.....I wonder if this show wins for most revolving door cast members? Where ARE they going, I wonder? Still waiting for David Caruso's career to take off after leaving NYPD Blue!

I agree, Brit. You are correct about Denmark, I didn't think Iceland was as bad, but they obviously are. That's it for me. I complained on the F/B page, and was asked how I knew the animals weren't sedated. Un huh, 30 sheep and a border collie, sedated and hung up by their feet. I swear, people in those countries don't care about animals as I do.

Sadly, I've come to the end of Professor T, that was a very good watch.

1 day ago
alastair
expert

Brit, I agree wholeheartedly about the new Mary Poppins. You have to view it without comparison to the original, with an open mind. Yes, the score and songs are forgettable, IMO. Why tamper with a classic?

7 hours ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.