TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
guru
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

7 years ago
Comments
soler
guru

Finished up Guilt last night . Surprising got more out of Eps. 3 & 4 than in the first two. Story of brother betrayal .... Scottish Cain and Abe without the death. Seems the first two Eps. were setting up the plots but they ( writers ) got carried away with themselves and just got muddled up , so it seemed to me. Like the blurbs at the end with the cast , kinda brings the show closer to ya .

Only thing to look forward to is Baptiste coming up in mid Oct. , I believe .

5 weeks ago
appara2
guru

Odd man out again, but I really enjoyed Guilt. I enjoyed this darkcomedy/drama, and 4 episodes was the perfect length to follow the twists and turns, lies and deceptions to the end. I'm assuming that Tina didn't survive, mostly because of when and how the text arrived.

Next up for me on PBS . . . Grantchester :D

4 weeks ago

Did you all see the new trailer for this season of Baptise yet? It is on the FB Masterpiece page. I know you all have access to FB, it is so worth giving it a view. OMG, this looks to be quite a season! This is the Baptise I excepted to see last season (and not what we got). I hope it is as good as it looks because this is the last we will see of him as they are only doing two seasons. Whoo-hoo!

4 weeks ago
soler
guru

Thanks for that Brit ... just saw it . Looks promising. Can't wait. S2 , starting Oct. 17 , 6 Eps.

4 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Oh boy, Brit. That's more like it. This is the last season of Baptiste? What a shame.

Ellie Haddington, of course her name is unknown, but she has been in SO many shows! What a waste of a good cast on that show.

Luckily I can't post on that group.

4 weeks ago

If I remember correctly, someone here watched the British series Mum with Lesley Manville - please tell me, I am three episodes in, does this get any better? Oh my, either she (Cathy) needs to shoot someone, or she should shoot herself rather than put up with these people. The son and girlfriend are from another planet - at least not the same one I am living on, can people really be this empty-headed??? I do realize that Kelly means no harm, she has a good heart, but gees, how do you deal with someone so clueless (and the fact that you actually raised that son and this is how he turned out. Yes, I know that he is not an ax murderer, so one for him, but that is a getting very low on the scale for comparisons).

The brother's girlfriend... don't get me started. Is there anything to look forward to moving forward with this, or is it more of the same?

3 weeks ago
deedee713
guru

Hah. I think I watched a few minutes, got teed off and left. Too bad, I liked Peter Mullan, of Ozark.

But the reviews, Brit? They were glowing.

Oh well, and so it goes.

3 weeks ago
soler
guru

Me Brit ...

I am three episodes in, does this get any better?

What you see is what you get throughout the series. LOL I got a kick out of it. L. Manville and that Scottish guy are the only sane ones in the show . I don't know which one I hated more , her son or that daughter - in - law. I'd settle on one and then the other would say something that would flip me around. The best dual would be ( for me ) between her and her sister - in - law . A lot of times Cathy would let something she would say slide over her BUT not always ... If I am not mistaken , one time she told her to F off , but she did it in that sweet way of hers. It was moments like that I waited for . LOL
Michael was a nice guy and must have really cared for Cathy to put up with all that crap from her son. I can see it's a show not for everyone. After seeing the way Manville played this character I'm still waiting to see her in Let Him Go in which she plays a character who is a 180 from Cathy.

3 weeks ago

Thanks Deedee and Soler for the input! I just saw on the FB Masterpiece page, Leslie Manville will be starting in Anthony Horowitz's "Magpie Murders" coming to PBS in 2022. There are some photos available to check out. I am a Anthony Horowitz fan - his Midsomer episodes are still the all time best - so I am expecting to like this.

3 weeks ago
nationafestdayy

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

3 weeks ago
bestknife

3 weeks ago

Update... I watched the entire first season of Mum, I found myself unable to completely quit (like a moth to a flame)... Soler you didn't warn me about Kelly's mom! The worst of the bunch, it gave me great pleasure to watch Cathy sweetly give it to her, that was a slow turning knife - the look on her face, priceless. I have sympathy for Kelly, the fact that she managed to become someone who has a heart is a miracle in itself after being raised by that sorry excuse of a mother.

(But) I have had enough, one season is more than plenty and I have decided to move on.

I have been watching the first season of Bergerac, two more episodes to go. This is my second viewing of this season and I have to say the stories are much better than I remember the first go around - Francine is my favorite girlfriend of his, so there is that too which makes it enjoyable. I may move on to S2 when done, Celia Imrie comes in to the picture after Francine leaves - not the best match, but better than Susan who completely got on my nerves by the end. In any event, I don't remember anything about S2, so it should be an good watch from that stand point.

Also, I am watching some of the Taggart episodes, I am jumping around a bit, watching the stories that catch my eye. I have no intention of viewing the entire series, but am enjoying this glimpse back in time.

I love the music (theme songs) of the shows made during the eighties, the best (at least to me). I don't think I am in the majority on this as these mostly get panned by today's audiences.

Oh and before I forget, the Inspector Lynley Mysteries are a great re-watch! I would recommend it even if you thought you wouldn't enjoy it on a second go around. I am not planning on going through the full series, I know it gets a wonky as it moves on - they change the actor for Helen and the stories get flukey, but the beginning seasons are strong.

I don't remember realizing when I first watched what an absolute pain in the patootie Helen was/is. Gees, run Lynley run!

3 weeks ago
soler
guru

(But) I have had enough, one season is more than plenty and I have decided to move on.

LOL ..... One and done ...Brit . I watched all 3 seasons ... all those crazy characters , I couldn't resist. Like you , got a different impression of Kathy after her mum was introduced. Felt sorry for Kathy . Wanted to strangled her ( mum ) 2 minutes after her first appearing on screen . LOL Watched Ag. Christie's Crooked House ..... couldn't finish it , really found it dull. Sunday night , set PVR to Agatha and the Curse of Ishtar . Watched half of it last night , second half tonight. Mildly entertaining . A spot of Inspector Lynley would be good right about now.

2 weeks ago

Soler, I totally forgot about Crooked House! Watched it last night. Deedee couldn't get in to it and you found it dull. I had a better reaction - my thoughts...

I was thankful it is not another Sophie Hannah abomination, Agatha's grandson has let that woman run loose and her productions are such a far cry from Agatha's writing that they don't even resemble the intent of the stories, much less the stories themselves. I find her work unwatchable and her writing skills (as she has continued on with the Poirot series) a bore and not even remotely near Christies' ability. I don't know what he sees in her another than $ signs, as he tries to open the market of viewers by transforming her work in to something it was never meant to be. I personally think his mother would be appalled by what he has done with his grandmother's work.

I listened to the audio book of Crooked House within the last year, maybe six to eight months ago, so it is somewhat fresh in my mind. It is a good story, with a real twist at the end - there are so many red herrings that it does grab you. As I had read in reviews, this adaption stayed true to the original storyline, it was all there - they did not play around with it and make it something it was not intended to be. Again, I am thankful for this. I even think Christie's daughter would have been okay with it.

The beginning was slow, the dialogue did not seem to have much thought put in to it, having recently listening to the book and knowing it to be an exciting story - they could have done much better. I also questioned some of their choices - I can't figure out what the song "Sometimes I Feel like a Motherless Child" had to do with anything, I felt like it was just thrown in there for effect, but I don't know what the purpose was.

They did much better later on when they had the young girl do the ballet dance through the house - it was artistic and fit the story as it gave the audience a strong clue. All this being said, the story does pull together and the pace gets better halfway through the production. It is as if they kicked it in to drive. It is almost like someone new took over the direction. I found myself getting more pulled in and rather enjoyed what I was watching.

I thought Glenn Close looked stunning, but I could not help to think the entire time I was watching that that part was made for Judi Dench... and what she would have done with it! She alone would have brought the production quality up considerably. Think of her in that role, would she not have been perfect for it?

2 weeks ago
ttymode

2 weeks ago

Hi everyone! Had to come and tell you I was watching an episode of Bergerac last night, I am at the end of the first season - and Warren Clark was the guest star; oh my, was he young and in his prime! We are talking 1981 (he did another (later) episode in 1985, that one I remember as he was a standout in it). Dalziel and Pascoe started in 1996, so we are going way back with this one. Did my heart good to see him even though he played the baddie.

I am still knee deep in Taggart, picking and choosing episodes as I go and so far out of all that I selected only one was a crumb-bun (as my father use to say) - these stories are complex and well written, they really keep your attention. Granted, I will say that more often than not we get pertinent info near the end that would have been very helpful in knowing where the story was going had we been told earlier, but otherwise so far so good. I am going to stop watching when the current lead Mark McManus (as Taggart) is no more. McManus died in 1994 at the age of 59, he was a heavy drinker and that contributed to his early death I understand. His complexion is quite sallow on screen, I picked up on it right away, I could tell something was not right and then when I looked it up I found out about his health.

I have not watched the first episode of Grantchester as yet (I have it DVR'd). I was reading some comments on the PBS board and although there were no spoilers per se, people seem to be somewhat grumbling about where this season is going story-wise. It looks like Leonard is, once again, in the thick of it. This is getting old to say the least if that is the case.

9 days ago
deedee713
guru

Brit, I happily turned off Grantchester midway, as I happily stopped watching Goliath, whose last season I was looking forward to. Thanks to streaming, I was able to watch the last episode ever of the series, and I was right to stop watching after 1-1/4 episodes.

Thank goodness for season 11 of Vera. They didn't touch a thing, the writing was stellar, and the ensemble crackajack. I'm curious where her raincoat was, but it was just a small nit.

Now in anticipation of the rest of the season after two episodes, since the virus slowed them down.

Ah, if only all current offerings could be as good as Vera.

9 days ago

Oh Deedee, I keep forgetting to ask you about Vera!!! Such good news! I am going to hold that aside for a bit until I need it - the time will come when life requires a time out with a cozy throw, a strong cup of earl grey and Vera on my TV.

PS. I was looking at Goliath, but I am not a Billy Bob Thornton fan (by any means) so I decided it probably wasn't for me.

9 days ago
africandressstyles

9 days ago
cyrilcory

8 days ago
cyrilcory

8 days ago

Deedee, I watched the finale of Professor T (Belgium) last night. It was/is a emotional episode, much more than I ever expected. That is the one thing we have had little of from Professor T, he had no sense of empathy and limited ability to relate to human emotions in general. That was changed in this episode, it was an awakening (for him) that I did not think he would ever achieve, and it did not come until the bitter end - talk about standing on the edge of a precipice - actually, we saw that as well literally.

The very end was joyous, what a wonderful way to close out the series and when Professor T last spoke to his class he summed up the lesson that he learned beautifully... "go out, in to the world and analyze with the mind, but judge with the heart". And that there says it all. Perfect.

6 days ago
deedee713
guru

Wasn't it a lovely episode, Brit? De Bouw is to Professor T what the other untouchable leads are. Although I actually liked Julia McEnzie.

5 days ago

Happy Thanksgiving, Soler and Appara!

One more week until Baptiste...

4 days ago
soler
guru

Thanks Brit .... Baptiste , yeah , waiting for that .

4 days ago
appara2
guru

Thanks Brit, I had a couple Thanksgiving dinners this year. One I cooked, the other was at my #1sons house - where all I had to do was sit and eat :D

3 days ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.