TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion
soler
expert
General Discussion

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

6 years ago
Comments

Deedee, I think the Hubs will enjoy Ford vs. Ferrari, it is right up his alley. Soler, the movie is well worth a view, it may not be your typical thing, but it will keep your attention. Just remember, it is a little slow at first, takes its' time to really get humming. Once it does the wheels come off!

Okay, I had no idea that was Tessa Peake-Jones is in Charter's & Caldicott... she's Jenny! Never put that together, I had to look it up. I distinctly remember the scene you are describing. The grainy full length original is no longer available on the 'Tube, so unless it gets sneaked back for a bit, those of us that did see it are the lucky ones. I have said this before, there wasn't any good reason to cut the production when they issued the re-mastered DVD. Absolutely none. Wait... I am now remembering that you purchased a copy of the original before you got the remastered DVD. At the time that was not what you had expected, you thought it was a cleaned up version and instead it was a copy of the version on the 'Tube. Well, now you are one of the few that owns the entire series, no cuts!

Deedee I did not see The Lady Vanishes with Dame May Whitty. I did see the latest BBC version (2013) and (I think) the one starring Cybil Shepard, Elliot Gould and Angela Lansbury. These versions are both included with Prime, so I put them in my "to watchlist" so I can view them again.

9 days ago

I watched the new Perry Mason... mostly on FF. Who is this guy, he's somebody, but not the Perry Mason I know. I think this was written while someone was in a deep, (deep) depression fueled by booze and despair. Can't explain it any other way. I won't be re-visiting the series, that episode was entirely enough.

This week's Morse episode was "Greeks Bearing Gifts'... as glorious as the previous "Who Killed Harry Field" was, this one does not hold up to time and has some disturbing scenes that would not have been made today - and rightly so. I honestly don't know what they were thinking when they originally made the production. I will blame this on the director Adrian Sherigold, for allowing it. Interestingly, I looked him up and he has directed "The Trials of Jimmy Rose" with my fav Ray Winstone, which I love, and and the first episode of the Vera franchise, "Hidden Depths". So, he is a capable director, but certainly one who will go to any lengths to get a scene, which is not commendable.

9 days ago
deedee713
guru

Right? I don't get the appeal of a show darker than even I can tolerate!

You were spot on! Hubby loved Ford vs Ferrari. I watched most, and found it well done. Thanks.

8 days ago

I am back over the edge people... the new season (S6) of Still Open All Hours started last night and guess who was sitting there all smiles glued to the TV like a fly to flypaper. I actually enjoyed the first episode of the season, hope it continues in this vein and doesn't go too far off the rails. I can't explain it myself, silliest show ever, nary a decent laugh and yet, it gets me every time! Oh well, on a positive note, I am helping to fund David Jason and Stephanie Cole's retirement (among others).

5 days ago
soler
expert

Interesting Brit .... I scanned PBS last night to see if there was anything I could watch . Not all PBS' s have the same schedule. Mine ( Maine ) had a marathon of a show that was on a few years ago called The Detectorists with Toby Jones . Remembered it so I watched a few eps. before I moved on . One or two shows is fine but I couldn't take a marathon of it . Now, back to Still Open All Hours ... this is a show that I would watch every week , as bad as it was . Kinda funny the little dance David would do with the cash register , silly and corney but amusing . Stephanie Cole was in a far more likable role as Aunt Joan in the ' Doc' series but it's good to see her in any case. You say you enjoyed this S6 opening ep. That's encouraging , will look for All Hours next week . Hopefully Maine will pick it up. Just in closing, a point of interest , read an article a little while back about show locations with what buildings and streets look like when in ' off season ' of series productions. ex . Lionel's street and house front in As Time Goes By . that sort of thing. Apparently , that little shop of David's in Still Open All Hours is a Ladies Hair Salon in real life.

5 days ago

Soler, as glad as I am to see Stephanie Cole well and working, I much prefer her as Auntie Joan myself. I always feel so bad for Mr. Newbold, each week I watch to see if he finally gets out of Mrs. Featherstone's clutches. I am rooting for him and now that we have Mrs. Rossi in the picture, I see some hope! Sue Holderness (Mrs. Rossi) is a good addition to the cast, the back and forth with Mrs. Featherstone was getting tiresome and going nowhere, she is adding a little spark to the storyline. I think we will see some movement on this front this season as Mr. Newbold is starting to show some spunk. I will be right behind him egging him on! Come on Mr. Newbold, give the black widow Featherstone the heave-ho, you can do it!!

I find Leroy (James Baxter) adorable, so any time he is on screen I am quite happy. They seem to have tamed Granville's relationship with him, he could get a bit too much (with him) in the past which is a throwback to his and Arkwright's relationship, but that was a different time, today it wears thin and comes off as just meanness. I hope this continues going forward.

All in all I am looking forward to this season!

4 days ago

Deedee, the second series of Mystery Road is available on Prime TV. The first season was an Acorn TV original, so I find it interesting that Acorn did not fund the second season. I watched part of the first episode last night. I gave it up, it is more depressing than I want to see right now. We have enough dealing with these issues in our own world, a constant barrage is more than this psyche can endure. I can say, for me, there is a big hole left without Judy Davis, it is not the same, the vibe is totally different. She is what made the first series rock, without her there is no balance, she added the human element (from the locals) to the outsider (Jay). The characters I have seen so far are all stereotypes of the lowest forms of life. Maybe if I had gotten to meet Fran, his new side kick, but my feeling is that that won't change much for me as I read the synopsis of the episodes and I see only misery with this one.

4 days ago

You know Soler, I was thinking...if a seventh season of Still Open All Hours is made, they should turn the tables on Mrs. Featherstone and give us a new character that falls head over heels for her and won't let her alone! I would enjoy watching her being chased by an admirer who won't be put off. She'll be running to Granville for help. I could see a lot of fun moments with that storyline.

4 days ago
movielover985

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

4 days ago
soler
expert

Brit ... I think you hit on the right approach for the character of Mrs. Featherstone . lol Stephanie Cole can project such a strong , commanding presence in any character she portrays that it would be a complete turn about to have her totally flustered , knocked off center and turned into a nervous , rambling wreck by an admirer who is so love crazed he takes all her rejections as ' proof ' of her secret feelings and encourages him all the more . lol Running to Granville for help and advice could further add to the calamity by him giving her not so helpful suggestions .... having his fun with her so to speak. Comedy shows need a few good characters to give it life , and I think this would be a good start .... as it is now , all the characters are bland and boring and even having David Jason at the center can't pull it off.

3 days ago

Happy Canada Day, Soler!

2 days ago
soler
expert

Thanks Brit ... and a Happy July 4 th. to you.

2 days ago

Appara, Happy Canada Day to you too!

2 days ago
appara2
guru

Thanks! It started off grey and rainy, and turned into a beautiful day, with several jet fly-bys through the day in place of the usual celebrations.
It's starting to open up more here as our numbers are on the decline, can't happen soon enough for me!!

1 day ago
deedee713
guru

NO Judy Davis in Mystery Road? I don't think so.

For those who have HBO On Demand, season one of My Brilliant Friend is, well, brilliant. Half way through and it is stellar.

It appears season two is on Amazon Prime, wish Amazon had season one too. Cable on demand is very annoying, cutting out after a brief pause.

1 day ago

I'll check it out, Deedee, I am looking for something new to watch.

21 hours ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.