Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

7 years ago
Comments

I just tried it, it is working!

2 years ago
soler
expert

Got it Brit ... thanks for this. Audio not the best and didn't help that the interviewer was sitting half way cross the room throwing questions . Current eps. I am watching were made in 2006 so to see Jane a dozen years later shows what the passage of time will do but this is something we all deal with. She has been doing a lot of theatre work and teaching explains why her IMDB page is not very full. Good to see her and Troy , too bad John Nettles and Cully weren't there as well .

2 years ago

Soler, I had the same reaction with John Nettles recently. He is doing these short few minute interviews on FB (John Nettles Questions) where they ask a question and he gives his answer. There have been six of them. The first few I saw were answered with a video response. I was taken aback at how much he has aged in the last few years since doing "Fit for Murder, which aired in 2011 in the UK, so most likely done in 2010. When you come to think of it, it was eight years ago. Time does fly.

2 years ago

John was asked in his last question, "Are you prouder of your work in Bergerac or Midsomer Murders, which did he prefer to work on?

Now, you know I am a Bergerac fan, I have seen the entire series. He was in the prime of his life, very handsome and a hearthrob to many. He has remained handsome to me through the years, but he was really something back in the day and I know he relished it.

So, I was not too surprised by his answer...

"I have to say I had the happiest time of my life. It wasn't so much a job Bergerac really, it was like sitting down in front of half a tonne of lotus, having a chocolate roll and munching your way through it. It was a holiday more than a job of work.

Midsomer Murders was harder work I have to say, but it was equally enjoyable."

I think youth won out in this choice, he enjoyed making Midsomer, no doubt, but he had the time of his life being Bergerac.

2 years ago

Soler, you are not going to guess what I found on The 'Tube, a video of John discussing Bergerac
which will give you a flavor of the character and the time in which he played it. They didn't show this on the Midsomer FB page, they just gave his quote.

https://youtu.be/GcTf1eMyvLE

I wish John would give a tour of the Channel Islands now that he is no longer tied to a TV series and could find the time. Although, there is not much left of the Bergerac days to see unfortunately. He has written two books about the island so he would be both informative and a wonderful host I am sure. I would be among the first on line to book that one!

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ... I have never seen any Bergerac work of Nettles but would be interesting to explore.
Have ya seen this interview with Nettles , I believe it was on Swedish TV .... It's in 2 parts , second part has some ( I would say sad revelations ) about his private life. To be so candid on a TV interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSGPnNa31kU

2 years ago

Thanks Soler, for posting the interview. I did not know much about John Nettles life and it seems his childhood was not a happy one. Reading between the lines, it is what he did not say that speaks loudly. His adopted family was poor and the lowest of the low (he said) on the class heirarchy, he did not add "but it was filled with love". To me, that suggests that his family life was not a strong, loving one. He fought his way to the top from humble beginnings and I give him much credit for that.

I was some what surprised by his candor - he did not mince words - but not entirely. In the interviews I have seen of his I found him very upfront and honest when answering questions, he said what he wanted to say and was not too concerned about how it was going to be perceived. He never seemed afraid to say what he felt. I think he is a heartfelt person.

One of the reasons that I feel he spoke about the situation with his mother was because he can, being who he is, and bring attention to what happened to young woman at that time. The same thing was happening in Ireland and it has finally come to light in the last ten tears or so.

John is rightly angry about what happened to his mother and he is speaking out about it even if it is unpleasant for people to hear. Again, I give him much credit for that.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit .... found something in my mailbox Thursday morning by way of Amazon. Midsomer Murders Series 19 Part 2 . So , I will be breaking my chain today to view ' Death By Persuasion " . Will give my general impression without giving any details.

2 years ago

Okay! Let me know if it is worth viewing. I haven't started Series 20 yet either. I have been in no rush.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ..... Gave ' Death By Persuasion ' ***/***** stars. Seen better , seen worse . Nice scenery , which is a Midsomer strong point but don't want to gets specific without ya having it.

2 years ago
soler
expert

....... don't want to get specific without ya having SEEN it . Nice country Estate . Worth a view , I'd say. lol

2 years ago

Will do, Soler! Let me know what you think of the last one in S19, "The Curse of the Ninth".
What did the do, put the last two episodes on a separate DVD (Part 2) which you had to pay extra for? They have never done this before that I can remember. Sounds stingy to me.

2 years ago
soler
expert

That 's exactly what they done Brit .... Cash grab as far as I see ......

2 years ago

Soler, I don't even know how to start this post.... remember when I said that I hadn't watched "Death by Persuasion".... well, apparently I had.

I put the episode on last night to watch, as I am sitting there I am thinking "I have seen this before"... the more I watch I remember that I even had posted about it! Dear Lord, what is happening to me, my mind is going!

Wait it gets worse, I go to look for my post and I discover that I also had watch "The Curse of the Ninth"... and I liked it (alot) to boot! Did not remember this at all. My original post about the two episodes is below. Talk about a serious senior moment...

"I watched the last episode of S19, The Curse of the Ninth, the other night. Good episode, I thought the one previously Death by Persuasion was a bit of a bore, even as a Jane Austen fan (or maybe because of it) I was not too impressed with that one, but The Curse ... was back on top with great quest stars - Simon Callow, James Fleet (he is getting more handsome as he gets older) and Caroline Langrishe of Lovejoy fame. I also recognized Maggie O'Neill from her many guest starring roles. You cannot go wrong with that roster of talent!"

2 years ago
soler
expert

Think nothing of it Brit .......... I have lots of senior moments lol just wave it off with the back of you're hand. Yeah ... I found ' Persuasion ' dragged , which equates with boring. Two things I took exception with in this ep. were (1) at the first victim crime scene . The flirting at the crime scene between the ME and one of the lead detectives ( Winter ) I thought this was off putting. Took away from the seriousness of the moment . After all the ME should be all engrossed at the task at hand as well as one of the lead detectives ....... flirt back at the office over the water cooler. Don't know who that ME is ... was expecting Kam. I find Nick Hendrix ( DS Winter ) to be too wooden , after all the Dullgeon is bland enough. (2) Don't know why Barnaby and Winter had to dress up in period costume and attend that Jane Austen ball event . Thought they looked kind of stupid. On the side , I love watching drone footage .. It's like what a bird would see , just up there flying around. Looking forward next week end to the ' Ninth '.

2 years ago

Thanks Soler for the encouragement. I have my moments, but that one was a beaut!

Having now watched "Death by Persuasion" for a second time, I have to say I found the whole Jane Austen storyline hokey. It felt contrived and at times silly. It could have been done better, when you wade in to Austen you need to put your best foot forward and that storyline did not cut it. Rather a disappointment.

Like you, I found the drone aspect of the story interesting, I wish they had done a storyline based on that alone and left out the Austen play-acting.

Apparently Winter is not interested in the new ME, he is still carrying a torch for Kam who left to take another job. The interest was solely on the ME's side (what the heck is her name, I tried to look it up on IMDB, I couldn't figure out who she is).

It was Sarah Barnaby who was helping to play matchmaker. I can't figure out the ME's attraction to Winter, because as you say, the man is devoid of a personality. Didn't he mess the relationship up with Kam because he couldn't bring himself to tell her how he felt about her?

2 years ago

And, what is going on with Sarah Barnaby... she is an author now. She has a toddler, is working full--time and now they are going to make her a best selling author! A mystery writer no less.

I realize she just started writing her book, we find her hard at work at breakfast time so she can get some writing time in before work. Mark my words, this first book, written on the fly between all she has to do, is going to be a big hit and she will be on the celebrity writer circuit in no time flat.

I find this storyline so offputting, it has the smell of desperation to me. Oh, how Joyce is missed!! Her storylines always felt organic to me, she was in the midst of everything, but somehow it never felt contrived.

Joyce was a homemaker who's child was grown, with time to pursue her interests, attend social engagements, make friends of her own... all of which provided her with an earful of local gossip. It felt natural to the character and the stories... and it made her endearing and invaluable to her husband in his line of work.

Beyond that, she often tried to get John to particpate and go along with her on her next adventure, whatever that may have been. It was great fun.

2 years ago
soler
expert

I find this storyline so offputting, it has the smell of desperation to me. Oh, how Joyce is missed!!

Brit .. I don't feel the sense of family and home life with the new Barnaby's in the same way as with Tom , Joyce and Cully. They seem to be pushing Sarah Barnaby ' carrier woman ' with home life , and motherhood are a distant second. Joyce was far more appealing .

2 years ago

Soler, I feel quite conflicted writing to you about this, you are a steadfast Midsomer fan and have stuck by the series through thick and thin, but I also know you purchase the sets and I feel obligated to give you a heads-up before you spend your money. The hubs is away on business so my peanuts and I are home alone and we were up for a party last night - everyone was on the bed, eating snacks and I decided to watch Set 20 (the latest set) of Midsomer Murders. My cat, Isabelle was curled-up resting and Miss B. was at the end of the bed watching the TV. She likes the light from it I think, and maybe she can see the images, but that is where she always positions herself, right in front, so she can get the best view. Here I thought we would be having a fun evening of lighthearted Midsomer. To say that I was extremely disappointed in that thought is an understatement.

2 years ago

As I am on my computer and for some reason am unable to PP, everything runs into one paragraph, I am just going to break my post in parts so it is easier to read. Something has happened with Set 20, there is a definite move from the Midsomer we know to more contemporary storylines. Yes, they have been doing this since John Nettles left, but a further change has been made, it is almost as it they are injecting a little of the old Midsomer in to this new version to keep the original audience, but they have gone over to the other side and it is apparent that they have left much of what we loved about the series in the past.

2 years ago

I started with the first episode as you would expect, I could not believe what I was seeing. It was so appalling, right out of the gate, and so unexpected, that I could not believe what I was seeing. I can not say that this is the first time that I feel that Midsomer has crossed the line, it has happened during the John Nettles years as well. I give evidence to two episodes that come to mind, Straw Woman and Left for Dead. Neither I own in my collection... watching a woman burn to death and seeing children involved in a perilous situation, was for me, not what I expected, or want to watch, from Midsomer. So, from my perspective this has happened before, I can not rightly say that there as not been other times.

2 years ago

I would strongly suggest that you read the synopsis or the first story which gives a strong clue of what you will be seeing on the screen at the beginning of the episode. Thank God, we did not have to see the finally act, but we did see everything that led up to it and no doubt was left of what was to come. It was, as I stated earlier, appalling, in my book... I was sickened by watching it and I turned the episode off. I then went on to another episode, in fact, I tried to watch two others. None lasted too long, I wasn't enjoying what I was seeing and it made no sense to carry on. At one point, we see a typical Midsomer scene, I swear we have seen it before, old Midsomer music in the background as an elderly woman rides her bike through a gorgeous village... in fact, I think it was the same actress ( again) as years ago, when I saw that I had hope - only to have it quickly dashed as the next scene had us back in to the "new Midsomer".

2 years ago

I was looking forward to see Annette Badland in her new role, so I tried to soldier on, even that was a disappointment. The only episode I did not ( in part) watch at all was the last.. I have always had very negative feelings about the circus, from a young age, even then, I understood the cruelty of them and I won't watch a story which involves them.

2 years ago

When you take in to consideration you have Neil Dudgeon and Nick Hendrix to watch, neither who have a personality to speak of, it was the worst of all I have seen rolled in to one. There is a wedding involved in one episode, we of course, think along the lines of "Blood Wedding", Cully's lovely country wedding..... not even close. Let me be clear, I did not watch any of the episodes in their entirety, and may be if I did I would have a different opinion. And, you are more forgiving then me when it comes the series, so maybe you will feel differently. I just want you to be aware before you purchase the set.

2 years ago

I see I repeated myself when I was telling you I could not believe what I was seeing... take it to heart, I may have repeated myself, but it is understandable given what I was watching. I watch Swedish noir, and it can be a tough watch at times. This episode was right up with it, in fact, in the Swedish Wallander we see a young girl handing from a rope in a church in Mastermind, I don't know if you ever got to see that one, but this, even goes beyond that image.

2 years ago
soler
expert

AHHHHHH Brit ....... I 've been trying to get used to the storm clouds gathering over Series 20. What I've read on the Amazon Series 20 page and on a few sites have not been comforting at all. Now, you add you're review , which clinches it for me. What I have feared and waiting for to happen is upon us. The new release ( Series 20 ) will be released by Amazon on Sept. 25 , for the first time ever I am hesitant as to what to do. In the past I would click on a release without a second thought and in some cases I would put in a standing order . While scanning Netflix I have noticed a block of Midsomer selections .. have had no interest in clicking on it .. would rather wait for my disks to arrive in the mail. Now, I feel a stronger urge to do it , just to see what's going on. Beside you're criticisms of story line I have read complaints of too many interior shots of modern buildings . I can get that in any other mystery show. These people making this series have to go back to what set Midsomer apart from all other shows . Warm inviting Villages , well tended gardens , country side to die for not to mention all the quirky characters woven in . Still leaning to do ' the click ' on the 25th , while expecting to view the worst series ever.

2 years ago

Soler, I went and read the reviews on Amazon. I do think that many Midsomer fans feel that there is a definite difference in Set 20, one step too far from what we know and love as Midsomer. I will say this, you are prepared, so when you venture in to the episodes you will be looking for the good - that feel of the original series which reminds you of the lovely villages, the English countryside and the eccentric characters - that is what you will take away from the episodes. I did not have the benefit of knowing what I was walking in to and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Had I been more prepared I would have braced myself and might have continued on. For me, it is time to hang up my Midsomer boots. It has been a wonderful ride and I can watch the oldies any time I please, so it is all good.

2 years ago
annacoach

I really liked it! This is more than I bargained for.

2 years ago
soler
expert

anna .. are you a Midsomer fan ?

2 years ago
jackholl

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ... found Series 20 in my mail box mid week. Will be viewing first one ' The Ghost of Causton Abbey ' this afternoon.

2 years ago

I am so interested to hear what you think, Soler.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ... mixed feelings on this one. Murders and plot were typical Midsomer so from that point of view it was O.K. but I was looking for more country side / villages scenes . DS Jamie Winter ( Nick Hendrix ) still bland as ever but getting used to it by now. That new ME was a surprise to me , expected some one younger , Fleur Perkins looks like she should be leafing thru Travel Mags. while getting ready for retirement. Her intro. to Barnaby was a little rough . Will keep an open mind on her . I better assessment of her will be made at end of Series 20. which has 5 eps. to go. Soooo , Keep the interior shots down and lets see what ' Death to Small Coppers ' has to offer next week. *** / ***** from me on this one.

2 years ago

It was the opening scene that got me on that first episode, Soler. That was not what I expect to see when I tune in to watch a Midsomer. I hear you on the interior shots, that was a complaint I read about. It was good that you went ahead and ordered the set, a three out of five stars is okay, not great, but passable for viewing. You may have a much more positive view of S20 than I did. It may not turn out to be a favorite season, but it won't lead you to throw in the towel as it did me. Happy viewing!!

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit was it the manner of the first murder that turned you off ???

2 years ago

Yes, Soler, watching a person boiled to death as the opening scene was a step too far for me. I was appalled... and it was not a glimpse, they made quite sure that we got the full picture of what was happening and what was to come. As I said in my post, Midsomer has crossed the line (imo) on occasion before (The Straw Woman and Left for Dead), but this was too much for me. They don't even go that far on the TV series Versailles - which is back for its' third and last season - and that is a show that puts it all out there. I know what to expect with that show, if a dungeon scene is shown the audience is aware and it comes and goes without lingering for the sake of shock and horror. No need to. I don't expect Midsomer Murders to open up a new story in such a fashion and was not at all prepared to see this. It was so unnecessary.

2 years ago

Peter Bowles just had his 82nd birthday. Love the man, wishing him continued good health and many, many more happy birthdays. Here's to you Mr. B!

2 years ago

Oh my, I was suppose to post that in the General Discussion thread...sorry about that. I am on my phone, although convenient for a quick comment, the small screen does have its' drawbacks.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ..... have ya watched ' Death of the Small Coppers ' ??

2 years ago

Soler, I did not watch that one, I have no memory of it. I watched three of S20 before I threw my hands up and gave up. Is it worth a watch?

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit .... ' Death of the Small Coppers ' has a butterfly theme . Small Copper is a species of butterfly. Liked this one , watched it last week end. Nice outdoor scenes , cottage type houses and of course the village pub is in use. Enjoyed it much more than . ' Ghost of Causton Abbey '. Peter Egan is in it. He plays so many hateful characters. lol

2 years ago

Peter Egan... okay, I'll give it a go. I've calm down a bit since my first delve in to the S20, I was so put off and dissapointed I just walked away. Only fair to give it another try.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit .. this past weekend I watched ' Drawing Dead ' . Ep. 3 of Series 20. Must say I enjoyed this one . Good story line , gave me a bit of the feeling of the earlier eps. ONE THING ... A word of caution . I found the first murder a little cringy . Don't even like to think about it, even now. But once past this , it was alright. Comic Book Convention theme.

2 years ago

Soler, that was one of the episodes I attempted to watch. I went from E1 to E3, both with deaths that were unsettling. I should not have skipped around, I should have moved straight on to S2... getting hit with both of those, one after the other, was too much for me. I couldn't believe I was watching Midsomer. Is this the wave of the future?

I am planning on watching "Drawing Dead". I'll wait for you to view the remaining episodes in their entirety and give the okay before I stick my toe back in to the water after "DD".

2 years ago
soler
expert

Got ya Brit ....... will screen the last 3 and yet ya know after I view each one.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ... Last weekend I viewed ' The Lions of Causton ' .. murders are typical of the Midsomer style nothing too gross or unbearable. Plot not bad , seen better / seen worse . Gave it a ***/*****.

2 years ago

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I think I will skip that one, unless you give the episode a better than average rating I am going to pass. I am planning on watching "Drawing Dead" this weekend as I am just catching up on my back log of shows I am currently watching. Midsomer Murders is comfort viewing for me, great for Friday/Saturday nights to unwind from the week.

2 years ago

Soler, I watched Death of a Small Copper last weekend. I was getting confused between this one and Drawing Dead, it was DOASC that I was planning on viewing. This was a very solid episode, one of the best of have seen of the John Barnaby era. I got the feel of a village atmosphere in this one even though I can't say there was a real attempt to resurrect the quirky villagers and small shops that were part of the fabric of the original. Somehow they still made me feel that I was in a country village, albeit a more contemporary one. Peter Egan was great as usual and I enjoyed seeing Ellie Haddington. John Light is also another familiar face. It was a good cast all around. The tie in with the Danish detective was interesting and put a nice spin on the typical Midsomer story. I am still feeling no love for Annette Badland's Dr. Perkins. I am quite surprised by this as I was so looking forward to her taking on the role. She does not fit as well as I thought she would. I didn't care for (Dr.) Kam either; of all Dr. Bullock's replacements I liked Kate Wilding the best. Thanks for recommending this one to me, if you had not told me about it I would have missed it and that would have been a shame as there are so few of the new episodes that I have really enjoyed with enthusiasm.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Glad you liked it Brit .... not like the old days , where just about every Ep. was good. Last weekend I viewed ' Till Death Due Us Part ' . I would put it in the average category. ( ***/***** ) one thing it had was an ' evening wedding ' . In the old days if Joyce was at a function , you always knew she would find a body ....... well in this ep. Sara finds a body at the wedding. lol Downloaded a book about Edward and Wallace Simpson ( Anne Sebba ) on my Kindle , now that fall is here I'm in the mood to read about 1930's Aristos. Next weekend will be the last Ep. in Series 20 , ' Send In The Clowns '. Will let ya know what I think.

2 years ago

Soler, you mention Fall... we here on the east coast, at least New York and New Jersey, have moved out of Fall and in to winter as of yesterday. We had our first snow and the temperatures have dropped. Fall is my favorite season, unfortunately we did not have much of one this year. Enjoy the book, if you learn anything interesting pass it on!

2 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.