soler
expert
Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

7 years ago
Comments
soler
expert

Brit , I remember the model village ep. ending. ' Bernice ' was really out of it .. in her own little world. Remember Barnaby was so gentle with her as he confronted her in the little village as the scene fades to black. Saturday I came full circle and started with Ep. # 1 ... ' The Killings at Badger's Drift . ' I feel I am back to watching ' Midsomer ' again. Took note of how many of the players are now dead , ( 5 ) after all it has been 20 years since it was filmed.

3 years ago

I watched the first episode after Tom Barnaby left the other night, Death in the Slow Lane. First go around as I have avoided these to date until I watched The Oblong Murders (as I noted in a post above) which featured Jones and I loved it.

Well, that is the only one of the bunch I think I will love... I did not care one bit for the way that Sgt. Jones was portrayed in Death in the Slow Lane, it pandered to John Barnaby and put him in a less than positive light. Inexcusable in my book, as we all know how competent Jones is and to have him make not one, but two, incorrect determinations regarding the two cases he worked on (himself) was not plausible and left a very bad taste in my mouth.

We had to have John Barnaby fly in with his white cape to justify his existence it seems. Who's imbecile thought was that, if it was the writer Michael Aikens, I would be surprised as he has written some very good episodes in the past. He had to be given direction to play up John B. and if he thought of this himself as the way to introduce and solidify John's role as the supervisor, shame on him!

I will not be watching any further episodes with John Barnaby and Sgt. Jones... my first inclination to stay away was correct. I just enjoyed The Oblong Murders so much I thought I may have had it wrong about John. Apparently not.

3 years ago
soler
expert

Good comment on Michael Aitkens .. Brit. Aitkens is better than this , can only think he bowed down to pressure and held his nose when he wrote ' Death in the Slow Lane '. I noticed it as well the stumbling , bumbling Jones spinning around before the calm confident John Barnaby comes in , observes and projects his superior brain on the subject to put it on the right path to follow. OHHHH how lucky was Jones to have such a Sherlock Holmes caliber sleuth on the case. CRAP ...All designed to make ' The Dullgeon ' look good ( at the expense of Jones ) . Always thought Neil Dudgeon has the perfect last name to be pronounced as ' The Dullgeon ' . Have you noticed the last two DS's to The Dullgeon ( Gwilym Lee and Nick Hendrix ) are bland , low key , very much second fiddle to Barnaby . ' The Dullgeon ' is so bland and vanilla himself it would be extremely easy to out shine him. Jones ( Jason Hughes ) has such an appealing bright personality that he could leave ' The Dullgean ' in the dust ....... TPTB could see that happening so they buffooned him . This is just a thought as I do not think ' The Dullgeon ' could carry the show like Nettles did without some help.
Have just finished watching Series 19 Part 1 in Blu - ray , good to see Jones drop in , want to see more of him and not as under cover but as an assistant to Barnaby on special cases. Still 2 thumbs up on scenery and looking forward to the new ME. Never warmed up to Kam.

3 years ago

To be perfectly honest, I am really pissed about the whole thing. It is not that you did not warn me, you told me how annoying it was to see what they did to Sgt. Jones's character after Tom left, but now having actually seen it myself, I am down right angry. I was never a Dudgeon fan, you are absolutely correct, he does not have the charisma and screen presence of John Nettles, his John B. is milk toast to Tom Barnaby. They (TPTB) are propping him up in the role, if it was not for the wife, dog, baby and the "lowkey" sidekicks you wouldn't notice he was there. Everyone swirls around him as he stands there with that blank look on his face as if he is hard at work thinking.

Yes, that episode with Jones was like a ray of sunshine. They would do themselves a big favor to make sure he comes back in a recurring role. Although, I would worry about making him an assistant to Barnaby based on past history. Better to have him in an autonomous position where he is totally independent and taking the lead on a case with Barnaby to assist him!!

3 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit .... can't make Jones an assistant to ' The Dullgeon ' he has to be put in an autonomous position from Dullgeon at least , he could phone in his reports to some unseen boss in London .
One good thing about viewing early Midsomer eps. is the surprises ya get with familiar people popping up. Last 2 ep. I viewed has Toby Jones as a young ME filling in for a vacationing Dr. Bullard. Last week Robert Hardy dropped in . Who will be next I wonder . Time will tell.

3 years ago
solar4

Love piano music Brit ...... Good luck to her in her new carrier , seems her family has traveled in high circles ... This piece has a haunting note to it , perfect for a rainy day.

3 years ago

Soler, what happened, did you have problems with your login? You are a newbie again!

I watched the last episode of S19, The Curse of the Ninth, the other night. Good episode, I thought the one previously Death by Persuasion was a bit of a bore, even as a Jane Austen fan (or maybe because of it) I was not too impressed with that one, but The Curse ... was back on top with great quest stars - Simon Callow, James Fleet (he is getting more handsome as he gets older) and Caroline Langrishe of Lovejoy fame. I also recognized Maggie O'Neill from her many guest starring roles. You cannot go wrong with that roster of talent!

And, you will never guess what, I did not realize this - and I have no idea how this happened, but somehow I had never seen "The Sword of the Guillaume"! This is the one when DCI John Barnaby was first introduced. I also watched it the other night. Very interesting... I wonder if they were already considering him as John B.'s replacement at that time. Tom was still the star, as he should be, it was his show - they did not downplay him and I am glad.

You can certainly see the difference in the actors - John Nettles is so much more outgoing in his role; Neil Dudgeon was as laid back then as he is now. I don't quite know what they saw in him that made TPTB say "this is the new Barnaby".

It is a very good episode - I enjoyed seeing Brighton, the scenery added so much to the episode and Lucy Cohu as Jenny Russell really gave the story some heat.

3 years ago
solar4

Yes Brit ... a lot of trouble. I was in the habit of logging out every time I left the site. So about 2 weeks ago I tried to log in and got the message ' invalid username or password '. No problem , just thought it was clumsy fingers . So took more care next time but same message came back again. Tried it a few more time until I reached the tipping point. Then got message ' You are blocked for 30 minutes due to excessive login tries '. No problem .. frustration level rising a little at this point. Waited the 30 min. and tried again ... same message ... waited 40 minutes just to be sure ... same message again. Frustration level on a steep upward curve at thus point. I sent off an E Mail to get help . Welllllllllll ... that 30 minutes lasted a WEEK . All of a sudden I was freed up to log in again. Good for a few days then same thing happened again. I just re registered .
The Sword of Guillaume brought ' The Dullgeon ' into the quaint villages and trellised gardens of Midsomer Brit. 75 th Midsomer ep. made in 2009. I am currently on Ep. # 35 ' Things that go Bump in the Night '. To be viewed next weekend. Enjoy every ep. with Nettles but I know eventually I will come to ' The Dullgeon '. Just wish he had a sidekick with enough personality for both of them , don't know much about the new guy.

3 years ago

Wow! You needed the patience of a saint for that one! Good move on re-registering.

Our local PBS is still airing the Tom Barnaby episodes, so I catch those. They are on their third go around with this lot, so I am not watching as often.

I have "Things that Go Bump in the Night" on my DVR as I saved some of the episodes I don't own the DVD of. I haven't seen that one in awhile, I will join you this weekend and re-watch the episode.

3 years ago
solar4

Sounds good .. Brit :)

3 years ago
solar4

Brit ... when ever I see Julian Curry ( as he was in Bump in the Night ) I always think back to the days of Rumpole where he played Claude Erskine - Brown.

3 years ago

Soler, what a fun episode!! A solid, old school Tom B. story written by Peter Hammond. I looked him up on IMDB, he goes back to the early days writing Dark Autumn in Season 4. I thing Things that Go Bump in the Night is my favorite of all his episodes.

It has been a long while since I saw this one, I thought I knew who the murdered was... I was totally wrong. After I realized I was on the wrong track I just settled in and let the story flow, I was surprised at the end. And, that was a great ending, they played that to the hilt.

Julian Curry has aged quite a bit and I was wracking my brain trying to place him... I knew that voice and face, but from where? Finally it hit me, Rumpole!

3 years ago
solar4

Yes Brit .. good ep. When ever I see this one I always wait for the scene when Julian and Mary Jo Randle ( playing Janet Pennyman ) are drunkenly rehearsing on the stairs Janet Pennyman finding her husband's body and how she drags out her husbands name , when she pretends to be calling out to him , Paaaaaaatrickkkkk , then they both laugh. These two seem to have had such good fun together as partners in murder . Julian Curry is around 80 now.
Every week at the end of each Victoria ep. they show a little blurb of upcoming shows. One of these is of a show ( April 8 ) called Unforgotten . This is a series started back in 2015. with Season 1. Stars Nicola Walker ( of Last Tango fame ) as a DCI. There seemed to be something familiar about this show and I started wondering if it was a repeat . Went looking and found Season 1 on an external hard drive I have as storage. Don't know how many eps. I have seen but will wait until it airs April 8 . It's a series with Seasons 1 and 2 already shown U.K. I believe. Something to look forward to .

3 years ago

Julian Curry is around 80 now.

I know! Makes me feel old, time has gone by hasn't it?

That's what I love about Midsomer, what other series would make an 80 odd year old actor the love interest having a passionate affair with the undertaker's wife. Those scenes with him and Janet were pure gold. As you say, Julian and Mary Jo Randle were having great fun in the roles.

I am looking forward to Unforgotten. I am a Nicola Walker fan. I really liked her in River, where she plays a (deceased) DI. It is an interesting storyline. I also enjoy listening to her BBC Radio stories where she plays a Swedish detective. She has an excellent voice for audio books - mesmerizing to listen to.

3 years ago

Here is the link to the first story of Series 2 which will be available for the next few days. The stories are short, only fifteen minutes long each. They all have a surprise ending.

There are two others that are also available. The next one available is shown to the right (at the arrow) if you are interested in hearing more.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048jcgg

3 years ago
solar4

Nice little stories Brit ... you're right , she has excellent voice for this. Listened to all 3 , makes me want to see more Last Tangos . Wonder when Unforgotten Season 3 will air in U.K.

3 years ago

Glad you enjoyed the stories, Soler. Hopefully, BBC Radio will ask her to do more audio books/stories in the future.

3 years ago

Soler, I watched Dead in the Water this weekend. I saw that it was written by Douglas Watkinson and you know he is my favorite Midsomer writer after Anthony Horowitz, so I decided to continue on with you. Oh my goodness, quintessential Midsomer Murders... it had everything. First we start with a Barnaby family outing, Joyce, Culley and Tom for a lazy day at the local regatta event. It seemed like it was going to be such a nice day that I was wishing I was there. Joyce was up to her usual - planning the Barnaby's next adventure - this time she has decided they should buy a boat! We all know that is not going to happen, but you gotta love Joyce because she keeps trying.

Wine is poured, everyone is relaxed and then bang - murder! Cully and Joyce are left to fend for themselves as usual and Tom and Scott are off on the investigation. This one gets real interesting as we have Tom breaking and entering without a warrant, Scott getting his knuckles ready for a bit of intimidation and a story that could only happen in Midsomer.

The list of guests stars was again, like last episode, impressive. I like Emma Amos (Sandra) so it is always good to see her on screen and Adrian Lukis of P&P Wickam fame is fun to watch - he always brings that special something to his roles. As a bit of gossip ... you may already know this ... Diana Quick and Bill Nighy are no longer together - they parted after many years together.

What really stood out in this episode was the scenery and photography. This is the Midsomer that I remember fondly. The shots of the river with the swans floating on the water and the boats, the color of it all and the general attention to detail in the manner in which the story was told in the photography was top-notch. The scene at the restaurant was beautifully shot, what a lovely place, I want to have dinner there! We do not get this level of visuals in the newer episodes, the effort is not made, the ambiance is not the same.

I thought Sgt. Scott did rather well this episode. I need to cut him some slack, he was much better in the role than I have given him credit for in the past. You do get an understanding for the fact that he is a city copper use to doing things in a more direct manner than done in the country. I could see his confusion, when Tom bends a rule it is okay, yet when he does it, not so okay.

3 years ago
solar4

Ahhhh yes Brit .. A beautiful summer's day by the water .. great for a picnic and some relaxation , what could go wrong. lol The problem is Joyce , it's always Joyce , where ever she goes , what ever arts or crafts she takes up there is always a murder . Remember how we used to have humorous discussions about Joyce's trail of murder back in the A&E and PBS days. On the surface everyone seems pleasant and prosperous but that all changes as the onion layers are pealed back. This ep. is what Midsomer is all about. Did not know that Diana Quick and Bill Nighy are no longer together. When ever I see Diana Quick in a role my mind always goes back to that series in the 80's ' Brideshead Revisited ' , that's when I first started noticing Diana and no matter how many times I've seen her since , it's her role in Brideshead I think about.
Liked the ending , when Cully notices a boat for sale and it happens to belong to Phillip Trent . While Joyce is sitting inside , a little critter comes out on the shelf. This send Joyce and Cully scurrying for the door. Barnaby whispers ' Thank You ' as the camera fades to black. lol

3 years ago
solar4

Nasty snow day here today . Felt in the mood for a Marple ( Joan Hickson version ) . Chose ' A Murder is Announced ' from 1985. A lot of the players are dead now but there is a young Samantha Bond and a youngish John Castle who must be retired now and a young Kevin Whatley who plays a subordinate to Castle's Inspector Craddock. A role Whatley fits very nicely into , as he did with being Inspector Morse's subordinate . LEWIS was his only fish out of water role in IMHO LOL One actress in this ep. that I always liked to watch is Renee Asherson . I guess it's because she reminds me of my mother. ( hair style and color ) always felt they could have passed as sisters. One of her last roles was in the very first Midsomer ' A Killing at Badger's Drift '. As this day is a write off and will not venture out till tomorrow , I just may dig out Badger's Drift and give it a view. Will not wait till Saturday to give it a view so as to not interrupt the numerical order of things.

3 years ago

We have had snowy storm weather as well. I was without power for a day and a half, everything came back on late this afternoon thank goodness.

I know, if Joyce was around something was going to happen and it was rarely a good thing!

Joyce, for me, is one of the people that makes the "old" Midsomer so endearing because she often was an intregal part of the investigations. Either she was in the middle of things with someone murdered right before her eyes, or next to her at a function, or part of her latest club or activity... Or; she helped solve the case by giving Tom a small piece of information, or by saying something off the cuff that made the light bulb go off in his head and out the door he would run to arrest the culprit as she sat/stood there with a puzzled expression on her face thinking "what did I say". The writers took her character seriously, they gave her a purpose in the stories besides "the wife" and they did it in a loving, humorous way. We were always rooting for Joyce and her next new endeavor even though things did not always turn out well.

I thought the ending of "Dead in the Water" was perfect, they could not have improved on that one. It just left us smiling. The best.

I will be joining you this weekend for "Orchis Fatalis". I'd like to see that again as I remember that Geoffrey Chater has a small part in this episode and I have a big soft spot for him as he played dear Mr. Wyse in the original "Mapp & Lucia".

3 years ago

A Murder is Announced is a goodie! Ursula Howells was a such a dynamic Miss Blacklock. I love Joan Sims as Miss Murgatroyd... I am a big fan of hers... and John Castle makes my heart go pitter patter. Kevin Whately is the icing on the cake.

I am of the thinking that you have not had the experience (I am specifically not using the word "pleasure" here) of seeing Mr. Whately in his TV series "The Broker's Man" because whatever you may feel about him as Lewis, this one will give you a new perspective. I thought there couldn't be a role that I would not want to see KW in, if he was doing it, sign me up. Well, I was wrong. OMG, it is awful (and it pains me to say it). I couldn't finish the series... I tried to soldier on, but it was that bad.

Soler, how lovely to be reminded of your Mom. Moments like that are worth their weight...

3 years ago
solar4

Brit .. nothing worse than loosing power from a storm .. it is my biggest fear when I hear something is coming. Just makes ya realize how dependant we are on it. Sit in the dark and freeze. 'The Broker's Man ' is a new one for me. Sounds like I didn't miss anything. Whatley has this aww shucks milk and cookies way about him. Fit more to Morse than Lewis . Remember seeing him in a TV Movie where he was a perfect fit. To the world he was a meek , mild high school teacher but at home he was a domestic abuser of the worst kind. Movie made in late 80's or late 90's I think. Orchis Fatalis it is ........

3 years ago

Soler, Orchis Fatalis was even better than I remembered. This is a very creative story written by Terry Hodgkinson. When I looked at his CV I understand why it stands out, Mr. Hodgkinson wrote a number of the Lovejoy episodes, and that has been a long-time favorite show of mine.

It had everything... Joyce is coordinating the flower show so she is smack dab in it; Cully, by chance :), is working for the local travel agent and helps Sergeant Scott with vital information and Tom is getting propositioned right and left. Fun, fun episode!! Sgt. Scott did quite well and we saw much of Barry Jackson.

What stands out the most, above and beyond the cleaver storyline, is the aesthetics of production. It was gorgeous, scene upon scene of orchids and other flowers - color everywhere. They went all out for this one. It was a real treat for the eye and no expense seemed to be spared. Midsomer in its' hey day.

This was the last time Geoffrey Chater acted on screen. I was surprised to see how much older he was in this, I kind of forgot that the years had past. I keep remembering from "Mapp & Lucia", that was produced in the mid 1980's so we are talking nineteen years between the two, a considerable amount of time. He was born in 1921, which makes him ninety-seven years old, God bless him. M&L fans who had met him back in the day - he attended one or two of the M&L gatherings - said he is such a lovely man. I am thinking of him and hoping that his health is holding well.

3 years ago
solar4

Yes Brit ... another great ep. , Midsomer Flower Show . Now, who is going to be the first flower lover to die. lol Joyce is there in a volunteer position working so a murder is all but guaranteed. Rare Orchids are to be fought over and die for. Good to see Harriet Walter in the role of Professor Winstanley. Her cougar move backed up Scott and when Tom said he was going to interview her again , Scott asked jokingly if he was ' going to be safe '. Surprised me to see Tom put his hand over hers. Have seen Brother Robert ( Geoffrey Chater ) before , good to see these familiar actors pop up like this even if it's only in small roles. Familiar faces , sometimes surprising as they are older looking . Always thought Solariums full of plants looks like such a peaceful place to read or just sit and relax but not to be murdered in lol Next week it's off to the races with ' Bantling Boy ' .

3 years ago

Soler, I am going to the races with you! Bantling Boy it is!

3 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit ..... Caroline Blakiston was in this one , as head of the Aristocratic but impoverished Bantling clan. Lots of history ( not always on the shining side ) and lots of debts left to her when her husband died , lots of murder to safeguard the blood line. Caroline in this role is 15 years younger than her Poldark work. Remember the late Jimmy Stewart once saying , he doesn't like looking at himself on screen in his roles in later life. He didn't like seeing himself getting older looking with each passing performance. Time marches on and works against us all. lol Next week , ' Second Sight ' ...... seeing into the future can be a good and a bad thing.

3 years ago

Yes, what a difference fifteen years makes. She is such a terrific actress, she made that episode. Banting Boy is not one of my favorite Midsomer's, I have seen it several times before and always had the same reaction to it... I was interested to see if I felt any different this go around as it has been awhile since my last viewing. I still felt the same, I find the story of the young boy and uncle as the murderers rather off putting - one step too far for Midsomer. Reading the reviews on IMDB it seems I am in the minority on this one, from what I do remember of various discussions of the episode in the past, Bantling Boy is considered one of the more iconic episodes, so I think I walk alone on this one.

I don't remember much about Second Sight, so I am looking forward to it. Some of the story may come back to me once I get in to it, but like the others we watched of this season, I am quite fuzzy about the story, which actually is a good thing. Makes it all the more enjoyable when I view as I don't know "who did it".

3 years ago

Soler, I was in the unique position of barely remembering a thing about this episode, Second Sight, so it was as if I was watching for the first time. I love when that happens!

Owen Teale from Ballykissangel is in it - whenever I see him that is how I remember him. I noticed that some of the old photos of John Nettles they used (in the box in the attic) were from his Bergerac days when he was a young, handsome copper in Jersey.

This was a creative story, it is a bit of a hodge podge, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. I keyed in on the characters - Cully is at a cross roads, Joyce was in total Mom role and Tom was playing the peacemaker.

In S8 we see Tom taking sides a bit more and showing his anger towards people and things he finds unfair. He wanted that baby protected and he showed his frustration about the situation. I like that, at this point in his career you would expect to see this.

The scenery was (again) quite good in this one, lots of chocolate box cottages which I always enjoy seeing. Even though, there was a darker tone to this episode, it had a perceivable overcast, I kept thinking "this is not a village I would want to live in".

3 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit .. Second Sight has a dark mood .. made darker by a lot of rain in this ep. Can't help feel sorry for the Cast who have to stand around long hours made all the more miserable by being rain soaked . Not all glamour in show business. As I watched this ep. couldn't help thinking that the baby today is a girl in her teens now. She will have that ep. to view all her life. Next week it's ' Hidden Depths ' . Only 3 eps. left with Scot. then we start the Jones run, which is the section of Midsomer I prefer.

3 years ago

Me too, from the moment Sgt. Jones showed up in his policeman's uniform that first episode after Scott left, I was hooked. My local PBS is still showing the Jones years, so I have watched them (again) recently, actually they are still in that cycle, although currently on a pledge drive break.

3 years ago

Soler, I missed "Hidden Depths" last week, one of the most iconic of the Midsomer episodes, but I am up for "Sauce for the Goose" this one!

3 years ago
soler
expert

Did Sauce last week Brit ... Gonna do Midsomer Rhapsody next ........ not one of my favs but Scotts last ep. ( did 14 eps. 2004 2005 )

2 years ago

I must be off a week... I'll watch Midsomer Rhapsody with you this week instead. I've enjoyed viewing Series 8 with you, it has been fun. It is not a season I've re-watched more than once as Scott was never a favorite. I have grown to appreciate him a bit more.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Not you Brit .... but me..... I'm off a week . This year I skipped ' Ghosts of Christmas Past ' ( 37 ) decided to save this ep. for Christmas , wasn't in the mood to watch it last month. Next time round i'll probably put it back in it's proper place.

2 years ago

Frank Middlemas!! Totally did not remember he was in this episode. I did not remember much of the story at the beginning, it did come to me as I watched. When I saw Mr. Middlemass I thought that this had to be near the last time we saw him on screen and when I checked IMDB it was. He was in the As Time Goes By Reunion Special which was also filmed in 2005, the same year as Midsomer Rhapsody. I was thrilled to see him... they are still running As Time Goes By on my local PBS channel so I saw him just a few weeks ago in an episode. Love him... so missed, along with my other fav Joan Sims. Together, they were a perfect pair.

Not to get off the subject of Midsomer, for me, one of her best roles was Mrs. Wembley in On the Up, a British series written by the one and only Bob Larbey, another so sorely missed. Those were some of the finest days of British television. Another role in which she was superb in was Joan Hickson's A Murder is Announced which I mentioned above in an earlier post. In truth, Joan was fabulous in anything she did.

I found it interesting that I did not recall that much of this season except for the one episode I did not care for, "Bantling Boy", now that one I remembered! Go figure. I don't think I will ever re-watch that one again. There are a few episodes that fall in this category, at this point there are too many good ones available to waste time on those that I don't enjoy.

"Midsomer" must have had a very large audience when this season was made, eight episodes are a lot for one season of the series. Before this, S7 had seven episodes and up to that point seven was the most per season. After, S9 and S10 also had eight and then back to seven episodes with S11.

I have read that each episode cost 2M pounds to produce, so my assumption is that the period between late 2004/2005 through early 2008 had to have been one of Midsomer's peaks in viewership to justify adding another episode at that cost. In those days in particular, Midsomer was considered a costly show to produce as the Brits did not spend the enormous sums on production that we did/do in the States. An actor on a highly rated American TV series can make a million dollars a season, close to half the series entire budget. This is why so many British actors try to make it in Hollywood. If they get on a successful show the payout is great for them.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit .. noticed Frank Middlemass worked up until he was 86 . He must have really loved his craft and been in relatively good health to continue on . Never saw As Time Goes By Reunion Special , and still get ATGB on the Maine PBS that I get . Good to watch from time to time. Funny you mentioned Joan Sims . Was in the mood for a Marple about 4 or 5 weeks ago , I dug out my DVD of A Murder is Announced and gave it a view . Miss Murgatroyd taking clothes off the line during a sudden rain squall when she meets her murderer. Noticed how young Kevin Whatley looked and also Samantha Bond . Yes Brit , Bantling Boy was at times irritating , Caroline Blakeston's brother running around with a plastic sword and cape with that hateful kid were scenes I could have done without. Interesting facts on Season audience size. I'm about to order from Amazon Series 19 ( Part 2 ) which only has 2 eps. I understand from reading comments left by other Midsomer fans. Sounds like a money grab. But , I have ta have it. lol Next Saturday , It's the Ben Jones era with ' The House in the Woods ' . Remember Barnaby showing up at the crime scene of the couple in the SUV and Bullard saying to him " No Scott? " Tom glanced it off with " called in sick " or something like that .... that was the last of Scott .... still on sick leave lol

2 years ago

Soler, Series 20 of Midsomer is now streaming on Acorn TV. There are six episodes in this series and we will be introduced to Dr. Fleur Perkins (Annette Badland) as the new pathologist. I know you have to wait until the DVD is available for purchase. I am planning on watching the first episode soon just to see how things are flowing this season. I am hoping for the best.

2 years ago

Happy to report I just saw a picture of Sykes in his retirement! So nice to see him again. The photo is on the FB Midsomer Murders page.

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit .. enjoy you're viewing of Series 20 . I'm about to order Series 19 Part 2. I don't mind the lag , as I am right in the middle of the Tom / Jones era. In my mind this is the best of Midsomer . Last weekend I viewed one of my faves ' Country Matters ' has Clare Holman ( Lewis's girlfriend ) in it. Don't expect Series 20 will be available at Amazon till the fall. Will be curious to read you're impressions of 20 . Hoping they have good story lines and lots of little villages and good scenery. So , we are going to meet a new path. Dr. Fleur .... now this is getting hard to follow .... is she replacing Kam ????????????? lol never was a big fan of Kam . lol Was Sykes laying back with a pair of sun glasses on ? Really want a Sykes replacement . Funny .. when the ' Dullgen ' took over and Sykes was introduced , I was hoping he would not be featured too strongly. Ya know the old saying in show business .... ' Never work with children or animals ' .. as they steel the spotlight. Turned out , I looked forward to Sykes and really want a lively replacement ( as a counter to the Dullgen lol ) Still not over this series loosing Nettles.

2 years ago

now this is getting hard to follow .... is she replacing Kam ?????????????

Yes. Something tells me Dr. Fleur is going to be around for the long haul. I too was not a big fan of Kam, I liked the pathologist before her much more. I have this feeling that TPTB realized this revolving door of characters is not helping the franchise. This time around they went for someone that could anchor the role, something we have been missing since Dr. Bullard was replaced. Barry Jackson is sorely missed. They (TPTB), I think, are slowly trying to bring Midsomer back a bit more to the original feel. I think they have come to realize they lost some of what made Midsomer, Midsomer and they are backtracking somewhat. It will never be again what it was with John Nettles, who, like you, defines the series for me.

I am on the same page as you regarding the Tom/Jones era, except for the first season written by Anthony Horowitz, this was the best of Midsomer.

Have to agree, I became a Sykes fan myself. That tells you something when the dog had a bigger following than the main character himself, Neil Dudgeon. I am sorry, you had it written correctly in your post... Neil DULLgen. I yawn as I write this last line.

2 years ago

Soler, you may have seen this before (I have), but I enjoyed seeing it again. You will be able to see it if you still have a FB account.

The Midsomer FB page also had an interview with Joyce and Troy recently. I find it interesting that they seem to want to keep the Tom Barnaby Midsomer fresh in everyone's mind. For awhile there they were showing photos of our Sgt. Jones every five minutes. This, I feel, was because he always gets such a positive response, he is definately a fan favorite - more than Troy is at this point. People like Troy, but they miss Jones. A big difference.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMidsomer/videos/1949879588385017/

2 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit .. have seen it but was good to see again. That interview with Joyce and Troy would be a treat . Right in the middle of Tom / Jones era. Saturday I viewed # 53 ' The Animal Within ' ( 2007 ) . When Series 19 Part 2 arrives from Amazon , I will break the chain and view 19 / 2 but I know I will be glad to return to the regular order again and pick up with Tom and Jones.

2 years ago

Soler, in case you didn't get to see it on FB, here is the link to the Joyce and Troy interview.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMidsomer/videos/1936410136398629/

I found it a little hard to understand what they were saying at times. I never thought we would see Jane Wymark again regarding Midsomer, so it was a really nice surprise to come across it.

"The Animal Within" is a good episode.... I rewatched it when they aired it again on my local PBS station about six months ago.

2 years ago

Soler, from the Midsomer FB page. At the bottom is a link for the best rated of the series.

https://episode.ninja/series/midsomer-murders/worst-episodes

I have not seen any of the episodes from S20 yet, four of them are on the list! That does not bode well. Many of the other (older) episodes would be on my own personal "worst" list, except for "Orchis Fatalis". I like that episode.

I did not see the ones listed from S15 either, there are two... and I haven't rushed to see "Death by Persuasion" as yet 'cause I have had my doubts about that one. Seems my instincts maybe correct.

The John Barnaby years, given their short tenure, are not doing so well... eleven episodes have made the list.

2 years ago
donna78

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

2 years ago
soler
expert

Brit .. couldn't get the Joyce , Troy interview .. keeps saying ' not available right now ' but I keep trying from time to time.
Ahhhh .. the worst list . Interesting , the one ep. that stands out AS THE WORST EP. EVER is ' Blood On The Saddle '. IMHO. LOL Hate when this one comes around because I would really rather not view it. But I do. Interesting about the John Barnaby era being so prominent on the Worst List . This could spell the beginning of the end. I find the writing to be generally pretty good but if a lot of people are not happy we all know what happens to shows when they hit ratings wasteland.
Will be ordering Series 19 Part 2 from Amazon shortly but have not been in a rush . I know it's out there and when it comes I will break the chain ( in the middle of Tom / Jones era ) to view.
4 of Series 20 on list ....... noooot good. Maybe they have changed writes . Series 20 will be released in Sept. sometime.

2 years ago

Soler, the video to the interview was not working for a few days. It has been corrected. I have reposted the link below. Try this and see if it works now.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMidsomer/videos/1949351958437780/

2 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.