soler
expert
Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

7 years ago
Comments
soler
expert

Yeah Carla ......... I got this feeling we are seeing the last days of Midsomer . Series 19 was filmed this past spring and am starting to wonder if their will be a Series 20 announcement . Each time a statement is released I'm expecting it to be the series finale . This show has under gone so many changes since the Nettles days I feel it's just riding on it's reputation now. Have read that Kam is not a likeable character and sidekick Charlie Nelson is gone ( after 3 years ) and will be replaced by who knows whom. TOOOOO many changes with changes still going on . Still looking forward to this series release on Sept. 20th thru Amazon and I will be able to buy it in Blu ray once again , I guess I'm mostly relying on scenery and quaint little villages to keep me entertained.
You're right carla ..... Gone are the eccentric characters and quirky murders that stood Midsomer apart from other shows . So Kam is gonna be like Quincy ( remember that show ? ? ) I hated it. Who needed cops with Quincy around . I miss Nettles as well and have never warmed up to Dullgeon . Have a few more eps. to view on my Saturday Midsomer viewing before I come to the last of the Nettles eps. As I go thru the Dullgeon eps. I look forward to the time I can start at the beginning again with the Nettles era.

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, I am amazed by how long Midsomer has lasted. I thought the quality was going down a couple of seasons before John Nettles left, and I am surprised they are still bringing in the audience. Unfortunately, there seems to be less and less of the quaint little villages that draws us.

The thing with Kam is that she seems to be everywhere. Oh Lordy, don't give them any ideas about making her another Quincy! LOL! She's flippant, and to me, that doesn't fit a young pathologist. I'd expect that more of an older seen-it-all pathologist such as Bullard or Max in Morse. I think they're trying to have some type of rivalry between Kam and Charlie Nelson. Speaking of Charlie, I'm not surprised he is leaving. He and Dudgeon never seemed to gel like I hoped they would. Maybe Jones was too tough of an act to follow.

I started watching Midsomer from the beginning again a couple of years ago, and I am finally down to the very last Nettles episode. I'm saving it. I'm not planning on watching the Dudgeon episodes after I'm done but will probably go back to the beginning again. I don't want to watch the show change all over again. I actually don't mind Neil Dudgeon but he has never had the warmth and sparkle of John Nettles as Barnaby. I would much rather be arrested by Tom than John Barnaby!

4 years ago

Midsomer Murders waved farewell to a much loved veteran star of the show when Sykes, the Barnabys' beloved pet dog, hung up his lead and retired from the show at the end of the last series.
Executive producer Jo Wright says "When we were filming last year's series our dog trainer, Gill Raddings called me and said it was time to retire Sykes from Midsomer at the end of the year. We were all very sad and made sure he had a lovely last day with a present of a retirement dog bed given to him by Neil (Dudgeon) and Gwilym (Lee). We have a new very young dog, Paddy, this year found for us by Gill but you will have to watch in the New Year to see how the story line plays out."
Over the course of five years the beloved rescue dog, Sykes, has appeared in 29 episodes of Midsomer Murders. The 13-year-old Jack Russell cross is now being looked after by a wonderful foster family. Dog handler and trainer Gill Raddings says "Sykes has had a marvellous time filming Midsomer Murders for the past five years but he is enjoying taking life easy now.‎"
Neil Dudgeon, who plays DCI Barnaby, adds “I will miss working with Sykes for many reasons... He is the consummate professional and like most actors will do anything for a sausage. I am happy he likes the retirement bed we bought him and that he will spend more time sleeping than working. Paddy our new boy has fitted in perfectly and filled the very large doggy shoes of Sykes"
Midsomer’s new rescue dog, Paddy, is a two-year-old terrier cross.

4 years ago

Brit you made my day with this wonderful update! What a lovely story, dripping with happy endings all around.
I hope Sykes has a very long and enjoyable retirement!

May Paddy have an equally long and happy career !

4 years ago
soler
expert

WHAT BRIT , NOT SYKES .......... Will this show ever be done with cast changes , now they gotta replace the dog. LOL
Seriously , I got rather fond of Sykes .... about the only one on the show I warmed up to. But retirement comes to us all ........... Looking forward to Paddy , glad it's another rescue dog. I'm sure he'll do just fine. Series 18 has just been released so I'll be ordering it soon.

4 years ago

Starfish, so glad you enjoyed the update. I was surprised at first - didn't realize that Sykes was near retirement age, but it is a lovely story.

Soler, I grew fond of Sykes as well, he had that special something. In fact, there were times when he was my favorite of the bunch.

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Oh no, there goes my favorite character from the new Midsomer! I only hope Sykes leaves in a good way, if you know what I mean. Maybe he won't be able to play nice with the baby and they send him off to Tom and Joyce. I wish Sykes well but will miss him. Thanks for the news, Brit.

4 years ago
soler
expert

Carla ... Brit .... found MM Series 18 in my mail box last week. Watched ' Habeas Corpus ' last weekend. Loved the story flow, gave it a 4 out of 5 stars . I do better now with the new MM ( post Nettles ) by concentrating on plots and scenery thou still mid warm on cast. Speaking of cast , there's a new ME. Dr. Kam Karimore ( Manjinder Virk ) who is Indian replacing Dr. Kate Wilding . You may already know this if ya got Netflex . Not sure how I'm going to take to her , she comes across as a young highly driven know it all with a rather sharp tongue. That may be a little harsh but it's a first impression . Will form a better idea after a few more eps.
Another cast change ( in this revolving door dance ) is Barniby sidekick DS Charlie Nelson who will be replaced by DS Jamie Winter , never warmed up to Nelson hope the new guy is better , don't know which ep. this change will happen . This show really needs good writing now more than ever to survive with all these cast changes ( even Sykes is going lol ) if it's going to maintain it's viewer numbers and don't forget ...... Lots of nice scenery. LOL

4 years ago

I read the synopsis of the episode Soler, sounds interesting. I checked Acorn TV, they have the entire Midsomer series, so I am good there. I just need to get my subscription going! I know once I start I am going to be glued again, that is what happened the last time, I couldn't stop myself until I started to have problems with the streaming. Then I was up half the night because that was the only time I could watch uninterrupted. Hopefully, there will be no problems this time. Sometimes I have a problem getting the Google Chromecast to load from You Tube, but that is more an issue with my cable I think.

I really enjoy having it. I can run my pictures from FB through it to the TV in a slideshow. I sit and watch the things I posted from years ago, all kinds of stuff that mattered or interested me. At first, each time I saw something I would stop as it brought me back to that time... lovely in so many ways as I use FB as my Pinterest (I never got into that, I have enough going on), so my many interests are reflected. There are also photos of my travels and family. It is nice to look up and see a memory. There are also other choices that are offered - some art, landmarks - things of that nature. You can select what you want to see and it is mixed together randomly.

Anyway, I am quite pleased with it. Roku has a remote to work from which Chromecast doesn't, but working from my tablet is fine. I have no issues with it. I am so glad I have updated to the 21st Century!

4 years ago

I liked Dr. Kate and DS Nelson together. They were friends who ate pizza and hung out. They worked well together so I am not happy with the change. Then again, Nelson has one foot out the door so they will both be gone shortly.

A snippy doctor I do not need in Midsomer. Wrong place for that, but the series has morphed into something else and has little left of the old feel. The plots of the last few episodes I did see were rather good (if I remember correctly) so I will give them that. Like you Soler, I take it for what it is, but at this point I can take it or leave it. If it is available I will watch, but I make no great effort to get the latest episodes as I use to in the Tom Barnaby years

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, I saw Series 18 of Midsomer and look forward to your comments on all of the episodes. I went back a page on this thread to try to remember what I had said and saw that I have the same thoughts and impressions as you. I find the new ME irritating. I think it's because she's in the show much too much and she's always right about everything. It's as if they've dumbed down Barnaby and Nelson the way they dumbed down Jones in order to make the new person seem like the only one who can save the day. I also liked Kate and Nelson together as buds and am sorry she left. However, I did like the explanation of where she went. I am glad they told us what happened to her and didn't act as if she had never existed.

4 years ago
soler
expert

WOW .. Brit .. you leave me in the dust when you talk about Chromecast and Roku , don't have either one . Must study up . Might be something there I may be interested in. You can use it to bring up pictures on FB to you're TV . Cool . Like options on a car , once you have it and use it you can't do with out it. Carla , you saw Series 18 so you know there are 6 eps. Lots for us to talk about. Remember a while back there was some controversy with Brian True May . Show was criticized for not having any minority characters on the shows and he responded buy saying , " there are none in the countryside " or something to that effect. Seems now that he's gone there trying to go the other way by making Kam so prominent. If that's the case than make her less irritating. You'll keep viewers that way.

4 years ago
soler
expert

I got swatted by the tail end of Hurricane Matthew before it left the planet. Everything is gonna be O.K. thanks to my insurance to pay for the repairs to my house. There's always something to deal with it seems. Carla , Just watched ' Breaking the Chain ' , a so-so ep. *** / ***** cycling theme involved in this one . Kam is very prominent as well in this one and still showing a competiveness aimed at DS Charlie Nelson . Murders straight forward , nothing quirky like the deaths in last weeks ep. ' The Incident at Cooper Hill ' which I thought was a better ep. than ' Breaking the Chain '. Next week ' A Dying Art '. will be on my view table.

4 years ago

Soler, so sorry to hear about the hurricane damage! Glad there will be no problem with the insurance. Are the repairs minor like a leaky roof or was the damage more extensive?

Believe me, I know what you mean with there always being something to deal with! Miss Buddy sprained her leg/tendon jumping on/off the bed which caused her considerable pain which then caused her to stop eating and drinking and a whole cycle of worry for me. Being a prey animal, she tries to hide her pain and does everything that works against getting better - she just shuts down.

She is on pain meds, still limping, but at least back to eating. I have had to give her liquids with a syringe to keep her hydrated and getting her to eat has been no little feat. My stress level has been to the moon - when it comes to her I get a little crazy.

I put carpeted stairs by the bed so she can walk up rather then jump as she is not letting her father get in that bed without joining him and jumping all around him at night. Well, mom forgot about the stairs and rammed right into them with her foot, bad enough that it is blown up like a balloon and black and blue. Now I am hobbling around (like daughter, like mother) - my poor other half has to deal with all this drama... mom calling him at work in an hysterical state, his taking Miss B and mom to the vet, my constant worry and then I am down for the count. He was so happy to go to work this morning!

Hang in there and I hope getting the repairs done will go smoothly!

4 years ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit ...... tree came down on my car and tore the power mast off my house , no damage to any of the appliances in the house and was so thankful that there was no fire ( except a bit of scorching on the siding from electrical arcing ) .... car O.K. Have total respect for Hurricanes now .... lol Hope Miss Buddy feels better soon and is busy hopping around all over the place. Had The Durrells on DVR and watched it last night. What a family , never a dull moment with this bunch. Enjoy the scenery with the house over looking the Mediterranean .... house a mess , a bit ratty , bet it was nice 100 years ago. Will keep watching . Remember that crude old Sea Captain form a Midsomer ep.
Not sure Ross made a smart move by letting those smugglers using his beach at night ever if it was for 200 pounds . He could hang for that if caught but more likely will happen that George Warleggan will find out and use it to control him ..... he should listen to Demelza , her judgement is better. Also had Indian Summers on DVR as well so Sunday night was good to me. The week before none if it was on because of the Trump debate .

4 years ago

Geez Louise! Soler, it is a miracle that the car did not sustain damage nor the house catch on fire! I am sending good vibes your way, that has to unnerve, I know you got through it, but what scary stuff! I have never been directly in a hurricane and would rather leave this earth without having that experience. We have had our share of bad storms here in New Jersey due to hurricanes that have left considerable damage. Fortunately, where I am located we got the tail end of it and did not experience the full impact.

Remember that crude old Sea Captain form a Midsomer ep.

Yes! First thing I thought of when I saw the face. Can't remember the name of the episode off the top of my head, but it was a good one. Tom Barnaby at the rock concert. Phil Davis was in that one. I am sure there are so many other productions to remember the actor from, but we are Midsomer people and that always comes to mind first.

Had to look it up... The Axeman Cometh. Couldn't remember her name, but I could see the face - Suzi Quatro was in it. The good old days with DS Jones, Dr. Bullard, Joyce and Cully. That's when Cully first meets her future husband.

James Cosmo is the actor. Among his many roles in recent years he was in Sons of Anarchy and Game of Thrones.

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your hurricane damage. Your poor car! I hope you have a bicycle hanging around. From watching Murdoch, I assume all of you guys up north ride bikes, even if that show is set in the previous century. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are OK, and I am assuming that your Midsomer Murders DVDs are fine too. ;)

I saw the season you are watching now but remember very little from the actual episodes. I remember the one with the biking theme vaguely, and at think I liked it well enough. The thing about the Kam/Nelson competitiveness is that Nelson comes across as if he doesn't like it. I can't blame him at all.

Brit, my goodness, I feel so bad for Miss Buddy and her Mommy! When our little critters hurt, so do we. I hope the little sweetie is feeling better.

4 years ago

Thanks Carla, she is starting to eat normally again, but it has been no little feat to accomplish this. She is still hobbling around on three legs (as is her mother, the hobbling part, I mean) and that will be the case for several more weeks.

She never stopped eating completely, but was eating very little and sitting in the corner of the room and not moving. In the wild she would have become weak and easy prey for a larger animal. I kept giving her food, adding more fruit and shave carrots on the top of her greens to entice her, and generally made a pest of myself. I think she finally said to herself, Mom is not going to stop so let me eat something. It's been mostly greens, she would not touch the hay or pellets, but that has changed in the last few days and she is munching a little on both.

She does love the sympathy she gets for her plight, she will let me kiss and hug her, rub her head and coo over her, drinking it all in. She shows me her leg, as if to say, "look what happened to me Mom" and I make sure to make a big fuss over it. It makes a difference. I keep spurring her on and she is moving around now and sitting with me in the bedroom at night again. I miss my little girl who would come running down the hall to meet me for her grapes in the morning and would play on the bed in the covers. That part of her personality may never come back completely, but we have bonded even deeper because of this and she realizes she is loved and we won't go down without a fight.

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I am so glad to hear that Miss Buddy is finally regaining her appetite. She is one very, very, very lucky little bunny to have you!

4 years ago
soler
expert

Thanks Carla ..... survived the hurricane , if my DVD player was damaged and I couldn't play my Midsomers .. than that would be serious. lol
Brit , how is Miss Buddy today . Hope she's back to all her little antics real soon. Carlas right , she is a very lucky little bunny rabbit , didn't you find her cowering under a car. ?

4 years ago

Much better, Soler!

To my delight, I went into her room this morning to say good morning (some days it is a big "hola" - don't ask me why, I don't have a good grasp of Spanish (my French is better), but it has such a happy feel to it and I like to start her day on a positive note... other days I sing her a little "good morning to you" song). Anyway, she then knows that her favorite time of the day is coming - breakfast! She starts with grapes and/or blueberries which she just loves and will run to meet me she is so happy with anticipation. Not lately though, as even a grape could not get much of a rise out of her. This morning she was waiting for me at the top of the stairs all excited. I was thrilled. I could see she was putting a little weight on her foot, not much, but more than I have seen to date. She had her fruit and ate it with relish.

I also bring her light greens in the morning, some days she eats these right away, other days she waits for awhile satisfied with her fruit. Today it was 12:00 in the afternoon and she had not touched it, so I sat with her and she proceeded to eat it all. I find she still will eat better if I sit with her, that's how I get her to eat hay - if I go in her room and stay she will start to eat hay while I am there. This, I think, goes back to the time she was outside and I use to bring her food and visit with her while she ate.

Yes, we found her outside sitting under my neighbor's car. She was only a baby at the time.

4 years ago

I should add that she ate like a champ the rest of the day and is still going strong, as the evening is when she eats her heavier greens - curly kale and carrot tops that I mix in with the others she eats during the day - parsley, cilantro, baby romaine, wheatgrass and dandelions when I can get them. She is on her third plate tonight!

4 years ago

Just finished watching the Midsomer episode with George Cole, Shot at Dawn. Tom Barnaby loses his cool a bit in this episode, you don' the see him do that too often. Interesting story this one and one of John's Nettles favorites if I remember correctly.

4 years ago

"A familiar face returns as Midsomer Murders returns on Wednesday 11th January at 8pm on ITV with 'Last Man Out'."

Guess who.... Jason Hughes! Yes!! "Call me Jack..." Trailer is on FB.

Looks like it is going to be a good episode, looking forward to it, should hit AcornTV in a few months.

4 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ... So Jones is popping his head back in for an ep . well, well , wonder how their going to use him . As a DI on loan from up North maybe . Will be interested to see the story line on this one . Remember the ep. where ' The Dullgeon ' played a smarmy gardener who tried to put the moves on Joyce. If ya can picture that . lol There's a new guy now , DS Charlie Nelson is gone . Characters come and go so fast on this show it's hard to keep up. This ep. will be on Series 19 and it should be out in a few months , I'm thinking April. THIS will be an ep. to look forward to.

4 years ago

Soler, if you go the Midsomer FB page there is an interview with Jason Hughes, now "Inspector Ben Jones" up. My, it is so good to see him, still as lovely as ever and even handsomer. He said it is going to be one of the best episodes ever, of course somewhat teasingly, but I have a feeling it is going to be right up there with the best of them.

I could not be more delighted that he is back. I will say I am surprised they brought him back to Midsomer, it has been only three years that he is gone and that is not the typical Midsomer MO. They had to know that his fans (and there are many) were going to clamor to the TV to see this episode. With all the new faces of late, they needed the jolt of a familiar, loved, face to solidify this new season and start off with a bang I would imagine.

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Whoo hoo! Ben Jones is back! What wonderful news, Brit! Thanks so much for letting us know. Interesting that Midsomer is bringing him back. I wonder if they realize that many of us miss the old Midsomer, and this is a way to appease us? I remember loving seeing when Troy came back for a cameo at Cully's wedding. I only hope we'll see more of Ben than we saw of Troy on his return. Yes indeed, Soler, this will be an ep. to look forward to.

4 years ago

I am back to enjoy Midsomer again. I always liked the very haunting signature melody, especially after I learned how it was produced.
Eons ago I was put off by all the gratuitous gore and blood on the victims. I was also exasperated by Barnaby's soppy-ness. ( I think Dee and I bonded on that bone of contention). However, forward several years, he was pretty cool on the last two episodes I watched. He has a sense of humor, asserts himself and I even find his wife acceptable.
Loved the "complimentary dinner" episode, funny! Still glad their daughter has taken a backseat. Found her tiresome.
I think I'll be a regular viewer. Liked the story of classic photography versus digital imaging. Most interesting.

4 years ago
soler
expert

Brit , thanks for the heads up on the Facebook Jones interview . Remember in an interview 3 years ago Jason said it was time to venture out and it was off to Hollywood . Well , Hollywood is a pretty tough town to get noticed in . By the look of his IMDB page he doesn't have much listed since Midsomer . That said , I wouldn't mind him being worked back into more eps. Now, if some one could go have a talk with John Nettles .......... get my drift lol

4 years ago

I certainly get your drift, Soler. Hand raised here, people, 'cause I think having Jason Hughes back as Inspector Ben Jones on a recurring basis, once a season or so, would do much for the series.

I was going to head over to JH's IMDB page as I was also curious to see what he has done since Midsomer. I haven't heard about him in anything on either side of the pond and was wondering if he was doing theater work. Hollywood is tough and even if you get a nibble it doesn't always lead to a "Hollywood career". Not everyone is James Corben. I remember him (JC) in the (British) Fat Friends. MHz ran it in its' early days - it was very well done. I also saw some of Gavin and Stacey (which he co-writes) on Hulu. He has certainly been "Hollwoodized", hardly recognize him from his former self.

Carla, Ben Jones seems to have a large part in this episode. I think we are all in agreement that there is a little more going on than JH being asked back to sprinkle some of the old Midsomer in the new. It seems they have given him a meaty role... this is more than a sprinkle, it is a whole tablespoon (of joy). I know the franchise is still doing well, but it needed this infusion of nostalgia. Otherwise he would never have been asked back so soon.

*Starfish*, those are both good episodes! Glad you are reacquainting yourself with Midsomer. Enjoy!

4 years ago

Okay, that did not work...if you are on FB there is a direct link on the MM page.

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I see more new episodes of Midsomer are coming to Acorn very soon. They're probably the last ones for Nelson. I wish they were the last for the new female pathologist. The show seems to have lost the touch in the casting department. Well, except for bringing back Ben Jones!

Starfish, good for you for giving Midsomer another chance. I hope you're enjoying them.

4 years ago

Soler, did you see this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/midsomer-murders-gwilym-lee-real-life-3140861

Gee, looking at the new crew in the article you would never (in a million years) think of Midsomer. Does not even remotely resemble the original. Who are all these new people! There has been such turn around in the last few seasons... I am not a betting woman, but I would put money on the table betting the current producers would jump at the opportunity of having Jason Hughes come back.

There were quite a few of his photos posted on the Midsomer FB page for awhile, (I follow the page, so they pop up in my feed) all very handsome ones may I add, he is a looker, and I get the feeling from the comments that I am not the only one who would like to see him come back. He has a large fan base and would be welcomed back with opened arms by many. I know we have yet to see his upcoming episode, but maybe they could do an offshoot of that and have him as a recurring character once each season.

4 years ago
soler
expert

Funny for this to happen Brit , but ( not Ha Ha funny ) would one call this life imitating art. All the cast changes leaves one's head in a spin though with more to come ....... The next Series will be released in late April ( Series 19 I think ) and it will have yet another DS appear among the hedges and rose bushed trellises of Midsomer county. Name will be DS Jamie Winter ( played by Nick Hendrix ) Take a number Nick and join this growing line of DS sidekicks. This business of Jason Hughes coming back is a puzzle . Wonder if he regrets leaving ... far away fields are green , maybe he sees that . Would like to see him ' transfer ' back to Midsomer . Must say with all this upheaval , even with the heart cut out , Brian True May , I find the quality of the stories are quite good. It still has the Midsomer feel . Here's hoping that Jones makes recurring appearances but it won't be as a DS ...... didn't he get promoted as a DCI or something and then transfer up north ?

4 years ago

didn't he get promoted as a DCI or something and then transfer up north ?

Yes, this is why I think it would work. He's his own man now, he could come in and help Barnaby with investigations as a special consultant. It would not be every episode, something akin to Ariadne Oliver and Poirot, she use to pop up every now and then and they would work together. It would bring back some of the old Midsomer feel and still let them expand in the new direct they have chosen to.

I feel they asked Jason Hughes back because they needed the lift in the series. I agree, I have seen some good quality stories, but the upheaval in characters has left the audience without a Midsomer family to bond with. John Barnaby does not (at least for me) bring any of the warm and fuzzy that John Nettles did to the role. I do like his wife Sarah, but we see very little of her and the new baby. For a long while there Sykes, the dog, seemed to be the fan favorite.

Along with the fact that Sgt. Jones seemed to be relegated to John Barnaby's joke of a sidekick, his treatment of him was bordering on offensive as we all know what Sgt, Jones was capable of under the Tom Barnaby regime...which I don't think helped the situation... the commute to work every day had taken a toll on him. This is why he chose to leave.

4 years ago

If you remember, it was stated by Jason Hughes that the reason he left was that the role was taking a toll on him physically. His family was living in London and he was commuting every day back and forth to the Midsomer locations which was a long commute - and he did this for years.

I know I was surprised to find this out as here in the US TV stars of popular, money making series are taken care of. I could not understand why a car was not sent for him everyday so he would, at least, not have to drive himself or take public transport. Apparently, this is not done in the UK.

On shows like Doc Martin the actors move themselves to Cornwall for the time they are filming so they are close to the production locations. Midsomer filmed outside of the London area, but in many cases the locations were an hour to two away from London, that can be wearing on an individual with a long filming day.

I would guess he is wistful of the constant employment that Misdomer brought, but given what has happened with the change over, he may have seen the writing on the wall and decided to pack it in particularly when you consider the effort it took on his part to stay with the series.

4 years ago
ladyponce

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

4 years ago

Soler, I have Xfinity cable and this week they are running a free subscription to Netflix, not everything is available, but there is much to choose from and I was looking through the TV series to see what they had. I come along Midsomer Murders and I see a little sign "new episodes". I am thinking, "can it be, would that include the latest episode with my fav Jason Hughes, nah, can't be too good to be true."

Well, yes, yes and another yes!! There it was Last Man Out (the third episode of season 19). It has been a long while since I watched a new Midsomer, I catch what I can when I can. But this, I have been waiting for this.

Everything I expected and more. Five stars all the way. It was a blast from the past, there I was with my tea - as I heard the opening theme I had this urge to go get a cup of tea, reminded me of the old days - I was transported back to an earlier time, the Midsomer we remember so well.

Jason Hughes owns the episode, he was the episode. He has gotten even more handsome as he has aged and he was at his fighting best. I will give no particulars, don't want to spoil it. It is a solid episode, with (other) good guest stars, made all the more fabulous with him in it. They need more of him and with all the pictures lately of Jason running on the Midsomer official FB page, they know it. John Barnaby had to take a back seat, DI Jones was "the man".

4 years ago

He deserves his own series if you ask me. It may not run for 19 seasons, but I can see a few seasons doing quite well. He has a strong fan base.

The new guy does not even come close to his charisma. He reminds me a lot of Scott and makes little if no impression worth noting.

The new ME is no improvement on the old. I liked Kate Wilding in the part much better.

So, I know how hard this will be for you because it is out of order, but I recommend when you get your new set, watch Last Man Out first. You won't be sorry, think of it as a Midsomer Murders special one-off, cause that is what it truly is.

If I can, I will go back and watch the first episode of the series tonight.

4 years ago
soler
expert

WOWZA .. Brit .... Glad you enjoyed the Jones ep. Hope this leads to more eps. in the future. He's badly needed with all these new faces showing up. I can imagine that was quite a surprise for you to luck out like that. SERIES 19 will not be released by Amazon until late June ... thought the release date was late April ( but now I thing that was for Acorn , I got it confused ) only good thing about late June is that at least I got something to look forward to. Enjoy you're tea with Midsomer LOL .. for me it's Chinese food , gotta have that or an order of Fish 'n Chips from my favorite chippie . Midsomer just ain't the same without it. lol, As for the new guy , this just seems like a revolving door. Yes, bring Jones back , what an anchor he would be. Ha Ha even Sikes is being replaced , I hear . I am approaching the end of the Midsomer ' RUN ' Tomorrow will be ep. 103 /110 and then I go back to the Nettles era . Really can't wait but I will break with tradition and watch ' Last Man Out ' as soon as it arrives ( can't wait till Amazon starts using drones , that 'ill be a hoot ) .

4 years ago

Soler, hot off the press this morning... Midsomer FB page.

"The rumours are true - we're filming series 20! A big Midsomer welcome to Annette Badland, who will be playing our new pathologist, Dr Fleur Perkins! Neil Dudgeon and Nick Hendrix also return as renowned DCI John Barnaby and DS Jamie Winter."

The last pathologist did not live in Midsomer long. They seem to be harkening back to earlier years, Dr. Fleur is no young chippy, she has Dr. Bullard's experience behind her. It's going to be interesting to see how she fits into the mix.

4 years ago

OMG, I didnt recgonize her at first...Annettee Badland played Charlotte in "Bergerac" which starred John Nettles in the early eighties. She was the secretary in the Bureau des Etrangers where Bergerac (John Nettles) worked. I have always liked her, she is going to be good in the Midsomer role.

I hope this will be a more pleasant experience for her, I would imagine so, as everyone seems to have nothing but goood things to say about working on Midsomer. She left Bergerac after three seasons because she did not enjoy working on the series, she never elaborated as to why, but she has said how unhappy she was and was glad to move on. I missed her when she was gone. They made alot of personel changes on that series too, till there was almost no one left.

4 years ago

Fish 'n Chips from my favorite chippie...

I forgot to comment on this yesterday. You have fish and chip shops in Halifax! As small minded as I am I only thought they were in England! It's a big world, there has to be chip shops in other places!! :) We don't have anything like that here by me. If we did, I am chucking the tea for fish and chips, that would be the perfect thing to eat while watching Midsomer. I would love it.

4 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit .. ever since I can remember . My fav. ( which is closest to my house ) is owned / operated by a guy from England who calls everybody ' mate ' lol . Will not answer the door or phone while watching a Midsomer while eating my Fish n' Chips lol

4 years ago
soler
expert

More cast changes Brit ..... must say I don't mind this one though as I didn't like Dr. Kam Karimore . Got a good feeling about Dr. Fleur Perkins ( Annette Badland ) being of a certan age will give her more of a presence of authority like Dr. George Ballard had .. didn't care for the young smart - alicky push,push,push of Dr. Kam Karimore , didn't fit Midsomer I thought.
Now, for the last cast change and probably the most important one. WHO will replace Sykes ? lol

3 years ago

Soler, I agree Annette Badland will be a great fit. The addition of an older, more experienced character will add gravitas, something much needed in Midsomer these days. Since the departure of the late Dr. Bullard, Barry Jackson, we have been subjected to a list of young, hippity-hoppity professionals hell bent on making their mark in the world. This may be what makes the world go round, but it doesn't work in the world of Midsomer.

There has been no continuity of characters since Tom and family left. John and Sarah Barnaby are the only two characters that have stayed the course. Midsomer has become a swinging door, they sashay in, stay a season or two and out the door they go again. Long term this is not good. People develop relationships with characters, that is what makes them continue to watch. It is one of the things that made Midsomer stand out from so many other series, the main characters remained the same - there was only three different sergeants in all those years - we grew with them as life brought changes. The eccentricity of the storylines came from the guest stars that appeared each episode.

3 years ago

I do think you will be pleased with the stories in the next lot. I have seen three of the four and I enjoyed them. I was yelling at the TV during the rabbit story, but that is because they were doing all the wrong things with the rabbits, good rabbit care was thrown out the window for the story. I realize that it is only a story, but there are so many misconceptions regarding rabbits that I cringe when I see this happen because it just continues them.

They handled the Sykes storyline beautifully, it was very touching and the new addition is a cutie. I think you will be quite pleased. I give them kudos for how it was all handled and the new dog introduced.

3 years ago

I watched two Midsomer episodes recently that I had only seen once before. I had stopped buying the series at this point, so at that time I was catching what I could on 'The Tube" when someone was able to post them.

I was not crazy about the model village episode the first time I saw it and watching it again did not change my opinion. That was the episode called Small Mercies. Olivia Coleman gave an excellent performance as Bernice, she always brings it, she is a terrific actress. I don't know what it is but something about the story just does not gel with me.

Next came The Creeper. This is a really good episode. Barnaby and Jones are in great form, the story is interesting, Barry Jackson was a cranky Dr. Bullard and Joyce was being Joyce. I read the reviews on IMDB and no one seems to agree with me on this one, it was not a favorite, Small Mercies got higher marks. For me, this was the better of this season.

3 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.