expert
Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

7 years ago
Comments
wjtw
guru

Soler & ♥Brit,

~ Thank you so much for the invitations and the very warm welcome to join you. I definitely will. Right now I am just enjoying your take on things. (o; That was so nice of both you. It made my day and put a big, fat, smile upon my face! Thanks again. Be Well!

♥Love and Light Always.

6 years ago

From the FB Midsomer page...

The successful and popular returning crime drama Midsomer Murders has been recommissioned for a further six feature length episodes by ITV.

Filming is already underway for the 18th series, made by Bentley Productions (part of All3Media) and starring Neil Dudgeon as DCI John Barnaby and Gwilym Lee as DS Charlie Nelson, for transmission in 2016....

Joining the team this series will be a new pathologist Dr Kam Karimore played by Manjinder Virk (Ordinary Lies, Call the Midwife, The Arbor), who will assist Barnaby and Nelson as they tackle intricate murder mysteries in the beautiful but deadly countryside of Midsomer.

Storylines will include bodysnatching, competitive cycling and the sighting of UFO's over Midsomer County.

Director of Drama, ITV Channels Steve November and Controller of Drama Victoria Fea have commissioned the new episodes.

“Midsomer Murders is one of ITV’s most enduring and successful dramas,” said Steve. We’re delighted to be recommissioning a further six episodes and to be continuing our working partnership with Jo Wright and her team,” he added.

Jo Wright, executive producer, said: " We are back for even more episodes next year thanks to ITV, which gives us chance to explore more strange and entertaining tales of Midsomer life. And with a new pathologist who will cause DS Nelson trouble in more ways than one."

5 years ago
soler
expert

Good news Brit.... the strength of Midsomer . Still going after so many changes . Production and cast wise. So their bringing in a new pathologist , does this mean Dr. Kate Wilding ( Tamzin Malleson ) will be no more . Just starting to get used to her. Enough of these changes already. If she is gone I hope she left on her own accord and not having been shoved out because of the PC brigade trying to take the ' too white ' look off Midsomer , as it has been criticized for.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3041070/Midsomer-Murders-set-regular-Asian-character-four-years-drama-s-producer-said-wouldn-t-work-ethnic-minority-characters.html

5 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks for the news Brit. Soler, I also hope Tamzin Malleson left on her own accord and didn't fall victim to the PC brigade. That would really tick me off but it wouldn't surprise me because reverse discrimination is running rampant and even applauded these days. I thought Kate was a great fit and I think they're losing a lot with her gone.

5 years ago

Midsomer, like Agatha Christie stories, is a fantasy world of eccentric, odd characters set in quaint English villages with extremely high murders rates. People are routinely murdered in the most bizarre ways - a man was offed by wine bottles flying though the air as his wife yelled "a little to the left" out the window. This is not reality.

Would we rewrite Christie to align with the world today? There are many other detective series that are situated in urbanized areas where a diverse population would be the norm and these series reflect this. Changing Midsomer to look like all the others is to remove what makes it unique. Where is the diversity in that?

5 years ago
wjtw
guru

I totally agree with that. Well said! Brit.
That's why I enjoy Midsomer because it (is) outside the box!

5 years ago

Thanks Wjtw! Soler and Carla I thought you would be pleased with the news.

I have to be truthful all... I have very mixed feelings about the future of Midsomer. It is no secret that once Tom Barnaby and family were gone, so was I. I relented, gave the new guy a chance and found I rather liked DS Nelson. Even though, moving forward it will not have the appeal it once did for me. It may have the same name and English village setting, but it has been transformed into something else. Good, just not better.

5 years ago

I watched the Killings of Copenhagen the other night. It was okay, not great, but enjoyable. The Barnaby baby arrived and I am sure there will be sleepless nights in the next series. John Barnaby is treating Nelson quite well, after what I heard he did to Jones I would like to slap him upside his head. There was no need for that, absolutely none.

The show will never be what it was, but there is still nothing else out there that has the country village feel of Midsomer. It is what keeps people coming back. I know, I keep waffling back and forth on the series... yes, no, yes, no.

I just wish they would stop the dripping blood Midsomer title thing, it gets worst the more you see it and it is very unpleasant. I get the thought of it with all the murders, it just does not work in reality - it is off-putting to say the least.

5 years ago
deedee713
guru

- a man was offed by wine bottles flying though the air as his wife yelled "a little to the left" out the window. This is not reality.

I found that episode hilarious.

It may have the same name and English village setting, but it has been transformed into something else.

So true! I'm only now watching the Dudgeon series/season 14 on Netflix, and how peculiar. If I hadn't suddenly been watching the Nettles episodes on PBS (follows my beloved Rosemary and Thyme) out of sheer laziness, I wouldn't know this was the same show. Nothing of the original flavor at all. Mind you, I didn't like Nettles, but Dudgeon is a different kettle of fish altogether. Just another police procedural/cozy, whatever this show is.

after what I heard he did to Jones I would like to slap him upside his head.

I liked Troy, so I've yet to see what the new guy did to Jones, whom I've just met.

At least the dog is cute.

5 years ago
soler
expert

The show will never be what it was, but there is still nothing else out there that has the country village feel of Midsomer.
well put Brit ..... I am back to watching my weekly eps. in order , after finishing Set 25 . Half way thru the Troy eps. It was like I was away for a while ( watching Set 25 ) then came back to Midsomer with the old familiar gang. As long as the new show keeps the country villages and THAT countryside , I'll stick around. One thing about the new guy. I've seen 5 eps. with him in it . He works well with Dullgeon . Very efficient and competent in his work , treated much better than Jones but he has no personality. Very low key. Was never a big fan of Troy but as I'm in the middle of the Troy eps. I've developed a new appreciation for him . He has personality . This new guy does not , IMO , I find him just as dull as Dullgeon so I guess their well matched. Can't think of a better partnership that Tom Barnaby and Jones , though. If only Jones had been treated better. This show has to get back to the quirky and eccentric. Your right dee , this Dullgeon series has the feel of just another cop show. Yea, I like the dog too.

5 years ago

Soler, the way you feel about Troy now is the way I felt about Scott when I watched his episodes again - he grew on me. Not my favorite, but I have more of an appreciation for him than I did in the past. I liked Troy, but we agree about Tom Barnaby and Jones, Jones is my favorite and will remain so.

I also agree that John Barnaby and Nelson are well matched in that they have the same low-key vibe going on. Unfortunately, that can translate into dull as you say.

I am afraid that the new writing/production crew has left the quirkiness on the cutting room floor and I don't see it coming back. There will never be characters and a story like the Killings at Badger's Drift again. The early episodes, which were based on the books, oozed eccentricity and quirkiness - the characters/stories were like little pieces of art, they were so well crafted. Those were the Anthony Horowitz days, nobody could beat the man, some writers came close, but he was numero uno.

The series today has moved far from the original concept.

5 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Series 17 has just come to Acorn streaming, and after watching 3 episodes, my opinion hasn't changed much. It's not bad but there's nothing very special about it anymore. I liked Nelson more when he first came on but they haven't done much to give him a personality. Now we have a baby and it may just be my imagination, but there seems to be less Sykes, who you may remember is my favorite character. :-D The stories are so-so, and it is easy to spot loopholes.

Murder by Magic has been the standout this series with similarities to the older Midsomer episodes. Brit, it has Jack Shepherd in a big role. This episode has many other good actors familiar to American audiences such as Joe Absolom, Deborah Findlay, and Amanda Burton.

5 years ago

Carla, I agree with you. I was able to see the first episode of Series 17, The Dagger Club. Someone downloaded it on The Tube in full HV version (not a small, dark picture) and it was up for about a half a minute, but I saw it and downloaded it for later. Just finished the episode and, as always, I have mixed feelings about it. The baby has arrived and she is adorable. As you say there was only a few snippets of Sykes. At first when everyone was saying how much they enjoyed him as part of the story, I didn't get it, I wasn't watching at that time and couldn't understand how a dog could enhance the storylines. Well, now I do, he is a delight, but I have a feeling that Betty will be overshadowing him in the future. Not a good thing when the dog is the character you miss most.

5 years ago

continued...

It wasn't a bad episode. They tried to add the quirkiness to the story and the plot was okay. In fact, better than some of the later stories near the end of Tom Barnaby's tenure. Some of the episodes at the end were not that well written. So, I do see the positives, they are trying, it just is not working as it has in the past (in the show's heyday). The cast is too contemporary, too "now" - quirkiness does not work with this - you need the seasoned, character actors that were the bread and butter of Midsomer to make it click. John Barnaby and Nelson are very milk toast, I kept thinking throughout the entire episode how I would have liked to see Tom Barnaby (and Sgt. Jones) in their roles with that storyline. I would have enjoyed it so much more. That is just the truth of it.

Carla, I will get my hands on Murder by Magic one way or another. I don't want to miss Jack Shepherd, we get to see him so little on the screen these days.

5 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Carla , watching these new eps. is like waiting for the old cast to come back from vacation. Glad ya got ta see Series 17. Sounds like theirs no big surprises . Why do I have a feeling this show will last about another year. Something to look forward to for me, seeing Amanda Burton , ' Dr. Sam Ryan ' from Silent Witness fame. Liked her in that show and can't think of the last time I'd seen her in anything so It'll be a treat.

Not a good thing when the dog is the character you miss most.
That's funny Brit. It has been said that actors don't like appearing in scenes with children or dogs because they end up stealing the spot light every time. I was one who was against a dog being added to the cast at first but I grew to love the little guy . After watching Dullgeon and crew , Sykes is the only one who stands out. Glad to hear about quirky and hope they keep working on it. Show needs ta get back to that along with eccentric rural characters popping up from time to time.

Remember W.C. Fields , it was said of him that he could hold his own with child/dog scenes . One of the very few.

5 years ago

I don't know if any of you have come across this site yet - I haven't, new to me! How did that happen, I am usually on top of this stuff!

There is a lot of interesting info and pictures - Soler, I know you will look in all the nooks and crannies (if you haven't done so already).

http://www.visitmidsomer.com/

5 years ago
soler
expert

WOW .... great find Brit ..... this one is new to me as well. I immediately pegged it and put it in my Midsomer folder. Gonna have fun exploring every inch. It's fun matching up photos with buildings and houses used in eps. Ex. Clicked on Henley Regatta page where ' Dead in the Water ' was filmed , now, as I follow a set weekly schedule of my weekend Midsomer views , I will be viewing ' Dead in the Water ' in about 5 weeks time . I will have the Henley page well absorbed by then. lol

5 years ago

Soler, wow is right... this is a cornucopia of goodness! How this site got past us (until now) I will never know. It is by chance that I found it - one of those let's click on this moments and when I realized what I found I was thrilled. This is the most comprehensive site for Midsomer (other than the MM fan site, which has locational info as well) that I have seen to date.

"Plan Your Visit" has the most information with Locations, Episodes Filmed Here, Places to Eat and Stay. It will take sometime to get through all of it.

Also, there is more location info under "Midsomer Map". Make sure to click on the red four towns and explore at leisure - lots to see there too.

5 years ago
soler
expert

Well , just finished ' The Vintage Murder ' , which is the fourth ep. in the latest release of Series 17. Must say I've enjoyed 17 with Vintage being the best of the 4. Well written and kept me guessing to the end . Still has that Midsomer feel with houses and villages and countryside. Mind is solid on John and DS Nelson . Dull and duller . With Nelson dressing so casual he always looks like he is on his day off. Kate Wilding does not take Bullard's place , not by a long shot. IMHO . With a complete cast change I am just glad the show survived and really do want it to continue with the caIiber of writing I've seen in 17. Gave this ep. a **** / *****

5 years ago
soler
expert

' A Vintage Murder ' that should be ........ Edit Button .... Edit Button .... my kingdom for an Edit Button.

5 years ago

Soler, four out of five, that is high praise. Long time since I heard you give that rating. I have only seen the first episode in Series 17. I should try to get it from the library, I know that most likely there will be a long list, but eventually I'll get to the top of it.

5 years ago
soler
expert

My very , very amaturish rating system Brit lol It's just that this one thru me at the end . ( Maybe I was taken in by the Red Herrings and not able to see thru them lol )

5 years ago

Soler, I don't know if you follow the Midsomer Murders FB page, a lot of activity of late since the stories have started on ITV. I don't read info or watch the trailers that I think will give away too much info, but I pick-up tidbits here and there of the latest happenings. It seems that Series 18, Episode 1: Habeas Corpus, has a host of familiar faces as guest stars and that usually means a pretty good episode. I am going to make sure to watch this one.

5 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ... Thanks for the FB tip , never thought to look there. lol but should have know , since FB is now used for everything these days. Hope youre posting troubles are over as well as mine.

5 years ago
soler
expert

Brit .... a little hesitant about posting this ... not sure if it could be categorized as a spoiler or not , But here goes .......

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3388812/Midsomer-Murders-fans-Twitter-complain-episode-ITV-detective-features-NO-murder-time-ever.html

I am curious about how this Midsomer has any plots .... cant wait to see it though.

5 years ago

Soler, I am curious as well, something new after all these years. I expect they are not going to make a habit of it, but as a one-off - just for the uniqueness of it - sounds interesting.

5 years ago

Just finished watching Death in Chorus, it was airing on my local PBS station tonight. This well written episode has everything - one of the few that is so jam-packed with the Barnaby family, friends, colleagues and an engaging investigation. I can't say it is my favorite episode, because it isn't, but it is one of the most memorable episodes. We really get to enjoy all the characters interacting both professionally and socially and that was a rare occurrence. And, the investigation did not lose one iota of attention - in fact, all the socializing (and singing) made it all the much more interesting.

Of course, I have to mention DC Jones shower scene, that alone brought this episode to another level. Something we never saw before or since in the series. Personally, I thought it was great, every once in awhile you need to break out of the box and for Midsomer, that was out of the box. I would be remiss if I did not say Jason Hughes is a very attractive man and a wonderful talent. :)

As an aside, when DC Jones stepped out of the Barnaby's house in Tom's outdated suit - did you see that thing... and the look on his face - priceless. Terrific moment.

5 years ago

con't...

Speaking of talent, we have Dr. Bullard and Joyce singing, Dr. Bullard even conducts the choir for the competition performance. He and his wife Kath have dinner with the Barnaby's; Cully is by her mother's side lending support and Tom makes it to the competition in time to see Joyce's choir win. The final shot is of him beaming with pride. The best. I can't remember another episode that involved all the characters in such a warm and fun way. It was special and I wish they had done more like it.

5 years ago

Sorry, needed to put Spoiler at the top of the last post! If I could only edit.......

5 years ago
soler
expert

Nothing better Brit than to kick back and relax with youre feet up and enjoy a good Midsomer .Speaking of Dr. Bullard , all the cast members could get together for guest appearances except the good Doctor.

5 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, don't worry about not putting Spoiler. Since these are all older episodes, anyone who has any desire to see them already has seen them. Spoilers should be used for new episodes of shows that everyone hasn't had a chance to see or if you know someone is watching something for the first time. At least that's my way of thinking. Death in Chorus was a very well done episode, and I also like the fact that so many of the regulars had large roles.

Soler, yes indeed, there's nothing better than a good Midsomer to kick back and relax. I have been on a big Midsomer kick lately. It's like I've needed a fix of Midsomer. I'm back to watching them in order, and last night was A Worm in the Bud. Another excellent episode and a chance to see some actors I hadn't seen in ages. Wendy Craig, who I watched in the 1970's in Butterflies, plays a very different type of character here.

5 years ago
soler
expert

Brit .... youre not going to believe this but as you know I watch a Midsomer every Saturday ( in order ) and after I made my last post I looked up on my EXCEL spreadsheet what my selection would be for today. Could not believe what I was seeing . Episode # 50 .... Death in Chorus .... WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT HAPPENING .... this is so eerie I feel like running out and buying a lotto ticket. lol Good ep. enjoyed the choir singing.

It's like I've needed a fix of Midsomer. I'm back to watching them in order

Keep feedin that addiction Carla ........ Midsomer Murders ..... the crack cocaine of mystery. lol

5 years ago

Soler, that is too much! There is coincidence, but that is beyond. I'd like to think that our universes are on the same wavelength, you in Halifax, me in New Jersey!

Never would I have imagined that you would be seeing that episode next in your queue. What I find odd it that I watched the episode and felt compelled to write about it. Had I not, you would have not known. Meant to be kiddo, meant to be.

5 years ago

I finally was able to finish all of Series 17. Overall, I found the stories enjoyable, the feel is less country village, more as if Midsomer was in one of the small enclaves on the outskirts of London. They seem to be ticking off boxes these days, meeting quotas and it is superficial in that no one of ethnicity ever is the murderer - you can count on it. It is all window dressing and I find that almost insulting. It is what it is.

I swear for one brief moment I thought I saw Joyce Barnaby in a T shirt and jeans walking in the crowd at an event in one of the episodes - Yea, I wish!

Sarah Barnaby got involved in the very fringes of a case in Murder By Magic. She seems to have little time to be involved in the stories with a baby to care for and her career. Shame really, not about the career or the baby - I always found Joyce's involvement in the murders or investigation (she was a help on many an occasion with the investigation and she periodically moved the story along by falling over a dead body) to be some of the best parts of the story. There was always that tongue in cheek vibe going on when Tom Barnaby was on the beat. I don't dislike Sarah Barnaby, in fact, I do, but she is just there, little more.

5 years ago

I found the pagan storyline in Murder By Magic off-putting. It reminded me of The Straw Woman, one of my least favorite Midsomer episodes. So good to see Jack Shepard on screen again (Joe Absolom was there as well).

I know he was disappointed that Wycliffe did not get a reboot, he was hoping they would give it another run, even as a one-off, but I think I understand why that wasn't/isn't going to happen. He would not be convincing in the detective role at this point I feel, a little too past his prime for it. True, he was not a physical copper, it was more mental with him, he was the mild mannered sort... at best though, he would have to be called in out of retirement "to help" and I doubt whether that would be enough to draw in the number of viewers they expect now-a-days. Too bad, they waited too long.

I don't know what all of you thought of A Vintage Murder, it was a good story, but the end seemed rather convoluted to me - everyone was involved in the ultimate outcome, this person did this, that contributed that - it got messy to me. I read the reviews on IMDB, both thought this was the strongest episode of this series - I am leaning towards The Ballad of Midsomer County as the one I liked the best.

5 years ago

I have gotten comfortable with DS Nelson and Kate Wilding working as part of the team. They work well together and I like Kate. Just when we are allowed to have on-going characters that we can form some attachment to, bam, they make a change. This is Tamzin Malleson's last go around, she is being replaced by another new face. Comments I have read is that the new pathologist cannot act herself out of a paper bag. Disappointing. Gives me even less reason to seek the series out. At this point if I come across an episode on 'The Tube I watch, I no longer make any effort to put my name on a list in the library to wait for the most recent series, it is not that important to me. I have been able to watch through Acorn TV - but that is another story (in itself) for another thread.

5 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, this sounds bad, but I don't even remember the most recent Midsomer films you wrote about. Unlike earlier Midsomer episodes that I like to watch over and over, these latest ones are one-time only viewings for me. I will miss Kate Wilding. Like you said, we finally have on-going characters we can form an attachment to, and they replace her just so they can tick off another of those boxes. Nelson started off interesting but is becoming dull. I'm neutral on the new Mrs. Barnaby, but I think I'd like her better if she would, as you say, stumble over a body or two like Joyce did. John Barnaby has grown on me, but I suppose I'll always unfairly and slightly unfavorably compare him to Tom. Sykes remains my favorite new character.

5 years ago
soler
expert

Brit , I find with these newest Midsomers that the storyline , mystery aspect is good. They seem to be rather well written for the most part. I just can't seem to settle with the characters . I watch a lot of Midsomers ( currently about 5 or 6 eps. in , on the Jones run ) and will break this pattern when a batch is realised and I find it sitting in my mailbox. I interrupt my regular viewing and view the new batch but only one each Saturday until I've run thru it , takes about a month , THEN I am happy and looking forward to picking up where I left off with the old gang. I still find Dudgeon bland , Nelson is dressed so casually he looks like he's always on his day off. Would rather have him like his predicesors in shirt and tie and like Carla , I am neutral on Mrs Barnaby , Don't care if she shows up in a scene or not, and yeah , Sykes is my favorite character as well. Here's me with fingers crossed that they keep ( and hope they continue to keep ) that Midsomer feel with those little villages and countryside scenery . My viewing of Midsomer is 90 % old and 10 % new , maybe this is why I can't form any attachment with the new cast . Maybe therapy will help. LOL,

5 years ago

One of my favorite episodes, Picture of Innocence was on tonight. Such a great wink to John Nettles' Bergerac days. Tom was in the hot seat, but he never flinched. He and Sgt. Jones were such a good team, this episode really highlights that. Joyce never doubted Tom's word for a minute, she took it all in her stride - and she came through for Tom by pointing out a vital piece of evidence. This is Midsomer at its' best.

5 years ago
soler
expert

Always so comfortable Brit to turn down the phone sit back and relax and enjoy an old Midsomer . Funny to say but most of these eps. I forget who the killer is .... until I get to the end . Don't know if it is because of the advancing years ( lol ) or because there are over 100 shows and too many plots and red herrings to keep track of with out getting them mixed up. Checked my list and Picture of Innocence is coming up for a view in the near future.

5 years ago

Breaking News..

NEW RECRUIT FOR MIDSOMER MURDERS

DCI John Barnaby will have a new sergeant at his side for the forthcoming series of Midsomer Murders which starts filming this week. Neil Dudgeon (DCI Barnaby) returns to film another six feature length episodes of the hugely popular ITV crime drama and this time DS Jamie Winter, played by newcomer Nick Hendrix (Marcella, The Crown), will be beside him upholding the law in Midsomer county.

Also returning for the 19th series of the successful drama, are Manjinder Virk as pathologist Dr Kam Karimore and Fiona Dolman as Sarah Barnaby.

Storylines this series will include a deserted village full of secrets, an extreme Neighbourhood Watch, a cricket festival and a rabbit and guinea pig show.

Jo Wright, executive producer, said: "All the team here at Bentley feel it's a great privilege to be filming the latest series of Midsomer Murders, and especially to welcome the talented Nick Hendrix to the family. We are sure he will help Neil Dudgeon keep as many people as possible safe on the dangerous streets of Midsomer County. "

Nick Hendrix says: "I'm genuinely thrilled to join this bastion of British TV. It's a real privilege to be part of a hugely successful and much loved show and I am looking forward to stepping into the wonderful world of Midsomer."

The last series of Midsomer Murders, which aired on ITV earlier this year, averaged a consolidated audience of 6.4 million with a share of 25% - its highest share since 2009.

4 years ago
soler
expert

As for me Brit , this news is good and bad. Never warmed up to DS Charlie Nelson . Thought him a little too low key and paring him up with the ' deadly Dullgeon ' ...... well , one could easily nod off if you're not careful . I always had other characters and those marvelous little villages and countryside to keep me very much awake. Never cared for Charlie's casual attire either ..... always looked like he was on his day off. That being said , I don't like characters drifting in and out ( this one lasted ,what , 3 seasons ? ) and remember Tamzin Malleson ( Dr. Kate Wilding ) How long was she around ? Makes the show feel like it's built on sand. Wish the new guy well and hope they picked a good fit for John . ( put a little spark in him hopefully ) Like the stats ya posted . Gives me a feelin' this show is gonna be around awhile.

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, thanks for the update. I had high hopes for DS Nelson but eventually lost interest. As you said Soler, he was too low key, just like Neil Dudgeon. They need someone with a little more spark, and yes, put him in a suit. I remember Nick Hendrix from a George Gently episode and see he was in a Foyle's War, which I saw but don't remember. He has very nice eyes, if that's OK for a woman of a certain age to say about a youngin. :-D

4 years ago

I liked DS Nelson, but unfortunately, he is not memorable in the role. He had big shoes to fill with DS Ben Jones and he never got close. Ben and Tom were a solid team, they were a good match and Jason Hughes held his own in the part.
Yes, spark is very much needed in the series, the main characters are milk toast at best. I don't like a revolving door either *Soler*, but in this case maybe it will jazz things up a bit. Does look like Midsomer has held on to it's audience, so I would expect that the future is bright and expect more seasons to come.

4 years ago
soler
expert

Well , it's happened again . We had been just talking about ' Blood Wedding ' with the rabbit incident. Just viewed this ep. last weekend. Second time we had been talking about an incident in an ep. that I was soon to view . With over 110 eps. it's strange this has happened twice. Oh, about the rabbit incident , it was Jones ( not Tom ) who was questioning the cook who was petting the poor rabbit . Brit, been trying to find out why Gwilym Lee is leaving Midsomer after just 3 seasons , haven't found any article yet to put light on this.

4 years ago

Soler, Blood Wedding was on last Friday night here! I was thinking the same thing, we had just talked about it and, bam there it was. I missed the first few minutes so did not see the bunny part (which was good). That is one of my favorites episodes. Juicy part for Ben, Tom at his cheapest and best - he came through in the end - Joyce the mother of the bride and who doesn't like seeing the Bride get ready for her wedding day. It was a good mystery wrapped up in family drama and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was like watching family again.

I wonder if he chose to leave or they did not renew his contract.

4 years ago

Shot at Dawn was on last night. What a great episode! This is the one with George Cole, one of his last performances - he made one other appearance after this before his death in 2015 at 90 years old. I remember John Nettles mentioning this as one of his favorites.

Samantha Bond was terrific in this, it was a strong cast. The episode is part of Season 11 according to IMDB. This was a strong period for Midsomer, some life had been brought back into it when DS Jones came on board - there was definitely a slump before that (in my opinion) and with him there also came some inventive and lively stories.

The next episode coming up should be Left for Dead. (NJTV reversed Shot at Dawn and Blood Wedding, so we will see). This is the one where Jones returns home to investigate a series of murders. I don't remember this story... it will most likely come to me once I see the opening. If they don't air it, I will pull out my DVD's as now I'm curious.

4 years ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit ... you're NJTV seems to be following in order ... today my ep. is ... you guessed it ... ' Shot at Dawn ' . Appears my schedule and NJ's are pretty close. I have Blood Wedding as No 60 .. Shot at Dawn as 61 and ' Left for Dead ' as 62. Seeing Samantha Bond will make me long for some Downton I'm afraid. Yeah, same with me , The Jones era is my favorite section of Midsomer. Still trying to find any info on why Gwilym Lee left.
This is the line up I follow , which is not production date but when an ep. was first shown in the U.K.
http://www.midsomermurders.org/mainepisodeguide.htm

follow it ( along with dates viewed ) on a EXCEL spreadsheet lol not much of a fan , I know. lol

4 years ago
soler
expert

Hang on ....... maybe this is Production Order ..... LOL ...... I guess not all eps. are shown following the production order . Why make it complicated . Just show'm as ya make'm .

4 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I saw two of the newest Midsomer episodes released here (Season 18) and thought I'd make a couple of comments before I forget them completely. They were OK, good enough to enjoy once. We know that this is a different show post True-May, but I am surprised at how overly zealous the box ticker has been so far this season. The show is no longer about quirky countrified characters, and when they went, so did the show's charm and originality. It seems like any old ordinary mystery show now.

The first episode, Habeas Corpus, I thought was the better of the two. I like the actors and the setting in this one. There was also an explanation about where Kate the pathologist went, which was probably my favorite few seconds of the show.

We have a new pathologist, a young Indian woman named Kam. I'm finding her a little irritating, which may be because they are pushing her on us too quickly. She has a much larger role than Dr. Bullard or Kate ever had, especially in the second episode, The Incident at Cooper Hill, where forensics overshadowed the guys detecting. It seems as if she is solving everything. I started wondering why they even have Barnaby and Charlie.

I miss John Nettles and his gang as well as the older character actors! The show was fun in those days. Oh yes, they have the Barnaby baby in all of the home scenes. Some may like that, but it seems as soon as a baby shows up, a show becomes boring.

4 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.