expert
Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

7 years ago
Comments
carlapbs
guru

Soler, I saw Schooled in Murder yesterday. SPOILERS AHEAD

I am disappointed that they didn't make anything of Jones leaving. They knew he was leaving, so why didn't they write a proper ending for him? I can understand why Scott didn't get a proper sendoff, but Troy had a great one. Jones was a long term character and deserved better.

As for the episode, I liked it. There is something original about being killed by cheese although personally, I would have preferred a big old block of chocolate. :D I know Midsomer likes to pile up the bodies, but why did they have to kill off the farm gal and the guy who loved her? Their deaths looked as if they could have been prevented but being trampled by cows was original. It's always great to see Maggie Steed. She's so good in everything she's in. I recognized Hayley as the new girl on Bletchley Circle.

Once I saw the ring, I knew immediately why new Barnaby was taking Sykes everywhere. That was kinda cute. They're giving a lot of time to Mrs. Barnaby, much more than Joyce ever got. She's OK but I prefer when Barnaby was hanging out with Jones more.

What did you think?

6 years ago
soler
expert

Hi Carla ..... yes, that's what I meant by surprise . No send-off bash for Jones . Had to recheck to make sure this really was his last one. It was , just shrugged . You're right he did deserve better . Wasn't like they didn't know he was going as he stayed around to give the show some continuity instead of going when Nettles left . This is what ya get for being considerate . Yes, Troy's was planned but Nettles , I thought , was a little weak. Even Bullard ( RIP ) had at least a few lines of explanation as he faded away walking down the country lane with his dog . That's it, they don't do send offs well and now we have a whole new bunch of faces to EXCEPT and get used to. EXCEPT we must do . I have said it before , struggling with this. Solid in my belief now, much prefer Tom and Joyce with Cully ( who came in and out ) but was there , none the less. I do not detect a home life feel with Tom and ( what's her name ) Sarah , find her cold and detached. They are like two career professionals who pass each other in the hall way . I was very skeptical with adding a dog to the cast but after watching enough of Neil Dullgeon the dog is a welcome site. Sykes is not over done so I look forward to seeing the little guy.
Found ' The Sicilian Defence ' dragged a little but enjoyed ' Schooled in Murder ' Started off in typical Midsomer fashion . First murder , dairy farm , killed by a wheel of cheese. Took an instant dislike to Headmistress Mountford ( Maggie Steed ) . cont.

6 years ago
soler
expert

EDIT EDIT EDIT
do not detect a home life feel with Tom and ( what's her name ) Sarah , find her cold and detached. They are like two career professionals who pass each other in .................
' meant to say John '
My dislike started when she was going to expel the first victims daughter from the school because the mother was having an affair. She enjoyed her control too much. Glad Hayley paid her back for her abuse over the years. Speaking of Hayley , thought she looked familiar , didn't realize she was in Bletchley, good eye. Felt sorry for Helen Caxton , thought when the guy showed up he was going to drag her out of the cows way . Hayley must have thought that Helen done her wrong as she was on her list. Soooo , next Midsomer will have another new face to get used to. Think Jo Wright is doing a good job so far , shows still have that Midsomer feel.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, I think they're trying too hard to get us to love John and Sarah as a couple. I liked her better when she first came on the series. She isn't growing on me although I do like John better than at first. He's no Sykes as far as my affections go, but he is becoming more likable even though he remains dull.

Maggie Steed is very versatile and when I see she's in something, I know it's probably going to be a good show. She was great as the smart, loving wife Margaret on Pie on the Sky, and she was great here as the nasty headmistress. She earned a good scare from Hayley, but if I had a choice, I would have preferred they save Helen Caxton instead.

I agree, Jo Wright is doing pretty good. My biggest beef remains the music. I still miss all of the music throughout the episode because it set the mood so well in the earlier Midsomer shows.

6 years ago

Throwback moment here... I re-watched The Glitch the other night, had not viewed it since it was first released. I did not remember thinking much of it back then, but what a change of perspective a few years will bring. Very enjoyable.... the best episode of Set 17.

I had thought The Black Book, had this distinction, but on second viewing it didn't grab me as much this go around. Good episode it was, but The Glitch was a good mystery - ended a little fluky with everyone walking away hand in hand, but other than that raised eyebrow, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nice to see Tom turn a blind eye, something we rarely see, in fact, I am trying to think of when he did that last - let someone go even though he knew what was going on...I remember! The older, pot growing next door neighbors - she was an actress in by gone days - Cully had discovered what was going on after Tom had already (unknowingly) sampled one (or two) of their laced brownies. That was the only time we saw Tom giggling and being a bit silly. Can't remember the name of the episode, but you all know which one I am thinking about!

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I do the same thing regarding changing my perspective after not seeing a show for awhile. It's great that we're able to do that and don't get stuck in I love it or I hate it mode. I have slowly been re-watching Midsomer again, and many of the later ones I only saw once. I'll be curious to see what I think watching some of the again. The best part is when you don't remember who the murderer was. It makes it like a new show. Love the episode with Tom and the happy brownies!

6 years ago
soler
expert

The best part is when you don't remember who the murderer was. It makes it like a new show.
Carla ..... I find this happens a lot with me. I have all the eps. released by Amazon ( 95 ) am surprised by how many eps. I have forgotten the murderer. You're right , it makes it like a new show and you always pick up something new with every view.
The eps. that I do remember the killer , are special as I follow more closely the steps it takes to get to the killer , sometimes there is no trail to that person , or maybe I'm just missing subtle clues.

6 years ago

Carla and Soler, The same is true of books. I re-read the Wolfe corpus of 72 titles every 2 years. More than halve the time the culprit's identity is news to me, (again!) I think it happens when the book or the video is so engaging in atmosphere and character development that the crime is only the impetus for the story. A sign of good writing and acting.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I am glad to know I am not alone in forgetting the murderer sometimes. Midsomer does a great job of setting up everyone to look like the murderer. The ones that I seem to remember are the actors I've seen in many other projects.

Soler, I'm up to The Magician's Nephew in my re-watch, which had I remembered the story, I would have saved it for Halloween. I don't remember the killer so I have something to look forward to. I saw half while on the treadmill today, and I have to get back on the treadmill tomorrow to see the end. Great motivation! Starfish, great way to put it. Wolfe is the perfect example of the crime taking a back seat to atmosphere and character development.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, are you still watching Midsomer? I recently saw The Creeper, so I only have one more series to go before we see the end of Tom. I think when I get to that point, I'll skip the John Barnaby episodes and start all over again. Every time I watch any series again, my views change a little. This time, I am really appreciate Joyce much more than I ever did. I'm also paying more attention to Dr. Bullard and am still sad he is gone.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Carla ... still watching Midsomer , one ep. , every weekend. Last weekend I watched ' The Oblong Murders ' .... this was Dr. Bullard's last ep. still have the picture in my head of his walk down the country road with his sister taking their dogs for a walk while a gentle rain falls as the camera fades to black. Next weekend it will be ' The Sleeper Under the Hill ' . Carla, I push through the ' John ' eps. Have seen enough eps. with him (14 ) to be firmly in the ' Tom ' camp. I have given ' John ' enough time to have made an accurate assessment. of who I prefer. As you, I appreciate Joyce the more I see of the new Mrs. Barnaby. It's not that I don't like her it's that I prefer Joyce more. Even miss Cully as she seemed to round out Tom and Joyce. Have 10 eps. to go before I reach the end of my collection and then start over again with the very first ' The Killing at Badger's Drift ' 1997 . I check Amazon every once and awhile waiting for the release of Set 25 . Expect sometime in December hopefully. This Set I consider to be a marker point , as it starts with Jones's replacement. Don't know who it is but it will be the first ep. with entirely new cast , as Jones was the last link to Tom. As long as they keep that Midsomer feel and ambiance along with lots of country side scenery , I'll still be glued.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I'll keep watching the new episodes too, Soler, as long as they keep that Midsomer feel and if the new casting is decent. It's hard to believe that with Jones gone, John Barnaby and wife will be the old timers in Midsomer. I don't dislike the new Barnabys, I just don't have the same level of affection for them as I do Tom, Joyce and Cully. If they left tomorrow, I wouldn't feel the need to know where they went, what they're doing, etc. I guess I'm too busy picturing Joyce dragging Tom on safari and finding someone trampled by an elephant, not an accident of course. Or maybe they're having a day fishing on the lake, and Joyce catches a body on her hook. And in my mind's eye, Bullard is right there with them enjoying his retirement too.

6 years ago

I had mentioned above that I has purchased Tom Barnaby and family's last episode, Fit for Murder. I watched it last night and enjoyed it as much as the first time, maybe even more. I know there were mixed feelings about this last episode... not enough of a good bye, left to the end, etc.
I remember thinking that it would have been nice to have had an episode that was a retrospective of the Tom years, so much had taken place during his tenure and many of the characters were like old friends. I still feel this should have been done, but I wouldn't change Fit for Murder to incorporate it. It was a very good episode, gave us a laugh or two, had Tom and Joyce together and let us understand the motive for Tom's departure. We learn that Tom has been carrying a weight around with him for some time and it had surfaced at a cross road in his life.

I will admit I questioned why no one went down to check the tanning room in all that time and I imagine they must have looked in that shed at some point, hard to understand when and not have discovered something so vital. Oh well, small quibbles as this episode will always remain one of my favorites.

6 years ago
donny24
expert

Oh, I don't think I have watched that one yet. I will try to get it, it seems by your review that is worth it.

6 years ago
donny24
expert

Watched the episode. It was very good, the only thing is that I felt sad. One gets so used to a character or characters, and then when they leave or die, it is hard to get used to the new character
who is going to replace the old one. So many episodes with Tom Barnaby, his wife, Cully,that no wonder I can't stand the new replacement.

6 years ago

Donny at least you tried the new Barnaby and gave him a chance, I have not had the interest to do that. I retired the show when Tom did. To me the series would never be the same without John Nettles in the role with his family, DS. Jones and Dr. Bullard by his side. To be honest, in the later years of Tom's tenure things started to wane for me, the episodes had lost some of their spark.

I have not met the new inhabitants of Midsomer so, I can only go on what I read in comments - it seems that people have come to realize just how much Joyce and Cully brought to the show. Cully was a bit much at times, she could be winey, but in retrospect, they gave us a picture of the "family man" Tom and brought life to the stories. When you think of it, Joyce was involved in many of the crimes in one way or another (usually finding a dead body... if Joyce took up a hobby you knew there would be a murder involved). The new family, I read, is quite different and the series has lost this homey aspect.

I know all things must eventually come to an end, as you say, there are many episodes to re-watch and enjoy and I am quite satisfied with that!

6 years ago

From Best British TV a recent interview with John Nettles. I just love the man.

http://www.bestbritishtv.com/?p=5547

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, thanks so much for the great read on Nettles! He comes across as so real. I'm with him, I'd much prefer Barnaby to Bergerac if I needed a policeman.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Thanks Brit .... good read. If we could only get rid of Dullgeon and get Nettles back .

6 years ago

Has anyone seen Midsomer last night?
After watching Miss Fisher, I accidentally stayed on channel. This Midsomer was not an episode but a string of very good and entertaining interviews with all the actors, the author, writers, directors and the composer of that very iconic theme melody.
I thoroughly enjoyed all 50 minutes of it, even though, I am not the "biggest Fan" of Midsomer. While I appreciate the landscape, the viciousness and gore of the murders turns me off. Also the fact that 90% of the inhabitants are whacked out psychos.

However, after the interviews I really liked the cast and the author and realized that much of what I objected to was touge-in-cheek and that the envelope was pushed for contrast.

I am ready to try whole episodes again! :)

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Starfish said: However, after the interviews I really liked the cast and the author and realized that much of what I objected to was tongue-in-cheek and that the envelope was pushed for contrast.

YES, YES, YES! That's it Starfish. Approaching the series this way should give you many happy hours of Midsomer viewing. I saw that extra somewhere along the way and thought it very entertaining and enlightening.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I saw the first Jones free episode yesterday, The Christmas Haunting, thanks to Acorn having the new episodes. Jones was spoken about, so we got to find out he was promoted. When new Mrs. Barnaby said Jones' promotion was thanks to John Barnaby, it ticked me off a little. John may have put him up for promotion, but Jones was smart and learned everything from Tom.

I like the new guy DS Charlie Nelson played by Gwilym Lee. He's on the quiet side, the new kid on the block trying to do the right thing, and just an overall good guy. They are making a show of John Barnaby training him to be a good DS. This was one of the problems when John inherited Jones from Tom. Jones was already trained by Tom, so in order to make John seem authoritative, they made the mistake of trying to dumb down Jones. The audience knew better, and it didn't go over. With the new guy Nelson, they are back to the original Midsomer concept such as we had when Tom was first training Troy.

As for the episode, it was enjoyable, a step above just OK. I like that we have another Midsomer Christmas episode, but it fell a little flat in places. There were some things that had me going what?? and I think the murderer's motives didn't make much sense. Most of the humor came from the Barnabys, and Sykes was his adorable self. It looks like the pathologist might be around more, so maybe we'll get the chance to know her.

It's a whole new Midsomer now. There needs to be more life in the episodes and more eccentricities.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Carla ..... A whole new Midsomer . Down to life's changes. Wont get to view this myself until release date , sometime in February , ( Set 25 , I think ). Nice for you to be able to view this Christmas ep. this time of year . Will accept the new guy at all costs and expect him to be dumbed down to continue to make Dullgeon look like Sherlock. Worst case scenario would have had the series shut down after Nettles left. Funny how one gets turned around . At first I was against Sykes joining the show. Thought it would distract and become a dog show But I find they use Sykes just enough to make ya look forward to seeing him. Just about at the end of my collection of released Sets. Will finish up with Set 24 towards the end of the month and then start over again with ' The Killings at Badger's Drift. ' , it's back to Tom and Troy.
You're right , more life is needed and this is down to the caliber of writers . I find Dullgeon drags it down enough , this needs to be countered by good writing . Talk about eccentricities , by starting over , I am looking forward to seeing the ' Rainbirds ' again. In recent years Carla , the show has lost it's quirkiness , thinking about that old gent in that large country house who was obsessed with planning every aspect of his own funeral even down to building his own casket in the drawing room. Still laugh when I think of this ep. ( can't remember the name of it though )

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, it won't be long until I catch up again with the Rainbirds. Since I stopping at the Tom years, I only have a couple more episodes to go before my start over. I think the episode with the old gent planning his own funeral was Secret and Spies.

I couldn't resist and went ahead and saw the second show in series 16 yesterday called Let Us Prey. It was much better in my eyes than The Christmas Haunting. It had more of the original Midsomer feel and the crimes were a little more intriguing. The characters were more interesting, and I have to give special kudos to Rebecca Front's unique portrayal of a vicar. All I can say about her is, good Lord! I am liking Nelson a lot. He's smart but learning his way. I'm liking John Barnaby better too because he's taking on the role of mentor rather than putting Nelson down. We see more of Kate too, which is a good thing because I think she could add a lot to the series. Not everything about the plot made sense, but that's par for the course. I am surprised that I am enjoying the series as much as I am, but I'm happy about that.

I'm looking forward to reading what you guys think about these latest shows.

6 years ago

I watched Christmas Haunting last night. I had just finished the Tom Barnaby and family Christmas episode, Ghost of Christmas Past and wanted more... I remembered there was a new Christmas episode and it introduced the new Barnaby sidekick so I gave it a spin. I couldn't watch before this, everything I read said how poorly Sgt. Jones was treated by John Barnaby and I would not have enjoyed watching that. This was a whole new team, so in my head I was thinking it's Midsomer, but not really Midsomer. You all know what I mean.
First, what is going on with the blood running down the Midsomer Murders name? I find it creepy to say the least.
Beyond that, I thought it was okay. Not great, better than I expected, but not the most intriguing storyline. No punch, it fell flat at times.
I do like the new guy, Charlie Nelson. He has promise. What I did not understand was John Barnaby's lamenting over the loss of Ben Jones when he treated him like the butt of a joke most of the time. Where did that come from? And, when his wife, Sarah is it, said that Ben got the promotion because of John, I was astounded...really?
The ending was very different than the older episodes - happy endings, music playing, the Barnaby clan visited by the doctor and Nelson bearing flowers and gifts. It was so contrived, that would have never happened in Tom Barnaby's day.
I will try another one if I get the chance. I am not going backwards, but will move forward with the series as I come across the episodes.

6 years ago
soler
expert

First, what is going on with the blood running down the Midsomer Murders name? I find it creepy to say the least.

Yes Brit , creepy , sounds like something you'd see in a third rate ' B ' movie horror flic. I know we have to expect change , but ...... on the improvement side please. So you like the new guy , along with Carla. So , I'd say he's gonna be all right. Might have a different opinion of Dullgeon when I see him working with him. Won't have that ' Jones working with Tom thing ' getting in the way.
What a corny , contrived ( sounds like a good word ) , ' Christmas card ending ' , did they all join in and sing carols as the camera fades to black ? Wish they'd bring back the old Midsomer traits of quirky and eccentric. That's what made Midsomer .... Midsomer. Would like to have seen this Christmas ep. at this time of year , rather than I expect , Feb. or March. for me.

6 years ago

Yes Brit , creepy , sounds like something you'd see in a third rate ' B ' movie horror flic.
Exactly!

Soler, my first thought was that Tom Barnaby would have worked well with the new Detective Sgt. Nelson had he still been with us and Jones moved on to promotion. He reminds me a little of Jones in that I took to him right away, unlike Scott, who only grew on me long after he had already left the series.

You may like John Barnaby better with Nelson, this is all Dudgeon's show now, there are no reminders of times gone by and that does make a difference. He can make it more his own and Nelson is his sidekick, not Tom's leftover, which seemed to be the way it was played with the character since John Nettles left. Moving forward things should start to pick up and maybe even get some of the old spark back.

*Carla* liked Let Us Prey more than Christmas Haunting, I have access to this episode so I will watch it next.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I'm happy to see you ventured into John Barnaby territory. Your reaction to the new Midsomer is very similar to mine. I am liking John Barnaby more this season. His greatest rapport is with Sykes which is OK with me because I'm a dog lover. It is as if the show is beginning all over again, but since the concept has been done to death (no pun intended), I doubt if new episodes will ever have the charm of the original. But they can still be good, just never quite the same.

I agree with you guys, the blood running throughout the Midsomer Murders name is just plain creepy. Also agree that the ending of the Christmas Haunting episode was too contrived, more like something you'd see in the 1970's or '80's. It's like they were saying, "we know we're the new group, but we're really nice people because we have the Christmas spirit, so please love us or at least give us a chance."

Solar, I can't wait to see if you agree with us about liking Nelson. Sometimes he still gets that deer-in-the-headlights look, but I think he's a good addition. I do miss the good humor of Jones, just as I miss the original Barnabys. I always thought of Jones as just a younger version of Tom Barnaby.

Have you guys seen this interview with John Nettles? http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/update/2014-07-23/midsomer-murders-star-john-nettles-moves-to-devon/

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

The above link didn't work. Let's try this again.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/update/2014-07-23/midsomer-murders-star-john-nettles-moves-to-devon/

If this one doesn't work, I give up.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Thanks Carla , for being persistent . The second link came thru and I enjoyed this clip very much.
First time I've heard of a ' rescue donkey ' lol , hope Hector likes his new home.

6 years ago

Carla, thank you!! I just love that man!

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

You're welcome. It's great that John and wife are animal rescuers. Hector is a great name and always reminds me of Richard Briers on Monarch of the Glen. At least they didn't name the jackass Troy or Charlie (as in Hungerford). :-D

6 years ago
donny24
expert

I have given up on Midsomer Murders with Neil Dudgeon- so many seasons and episodes with Nettles-it was hard to adjust myself to accept Dudgeon. By reading your enthusiasm about the show with him, and now that some of my favorite shows are in hiatus, I decided to try it again, and I watched an episode called "A Sacred Trust"-Series 14, Ep.7. I really liked it-well done, good actors, and at the end funny, also I did not know who the criminal was until the end. I found that Dudgeon is more alive, and has a better relationship with Jones.I will give it another try. (Thanks for your input in shows that I do not watch but because you give them a good review, I try them and I get hooked to them). Happy Holidays.

6 years ago

Happy Holidays to you, Donny!!

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Donny, I'm glad you are giving Dudgeon and company a chance, and I look forward to your reviews on the new Midsomer. All my best to you for a very Happy Holiday!

6 years ago
donny24
expert

Well, another New Year- new seasons, new shows, etc. Does somebody like the new sidekick? I did not like him-in reality the first show with the new sidekick made me sleep. So I got back to watch Midsomer since Season 1, Episode 1 with a new perspective in mind- found that I could get into them more easily.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Have yet to see the new guy , donny24 , but have reached the end of Set 24 so next weekend I'll be starting over with Season 1 Ep. 1 ....... ' The Killings at Badgers's Drift ' ..... time to visit the Rainbirds again . Anthony Horowitz's eps. are the best ones to get into.

6 years ago

Anthony Horowitz is an extraordinary writer... without a doubt his episodes set the standard for all others.

Donny, I have to agree Christmas Haunting was not a great episode. I haven't moved on to the second episode (Let Us Prey) with the new guy, Nelson, as yet. I am going to give it a try because I did like him... not sold on Dudgeon, but that will never happen - I am a John Nettles fan and as far as I am concerned no one can take the baton from him (IMHO)!

6 years ago
donny24
expert

I agree with all of you. Nettles was the best in MM. I watched Dudgeon because I wanted to finish the series with Jones and watching him for the last episodes I got used to him. As an aside-did you notice that Dudgeon appears in one of Nettles' episode as a gardener and then very later on he appears as Nettles' cousin and now a DCI? Not only that, as I was watching two episodes per night in the holidays, I also noticed that some actors appear twice or more in different roles. At first, I got confused and asked myself why Barnaby or Troy did not recognize them but then it dawned on me that the actor or actress was doing another role- which confuses me because they have the same face-is there an explanation for that?

6 years ago
soler
expert

Donny ..... 2 eps.per night over the holidays , that's a lot of Midsomer. Not uncommon for an actor to appear in more than one ep. over the years , thinking of one actor who appeared in 3 eps. over the years . Don't know who it was but just might give it a bit of a hunt to find out. Remembered Dudgeon from that early ep. as a gardener . ' Garden of Death ' ( 2000 ) If I remembered correctly , he made a pass at Joyce , can't remember if he was the killer or just a red herring thrown in.
To mention the Rainbirds again , those actors had an interesting return to Midsomer . Elizabeth Spriggs and Richard Cant. In 1997 they appeared as mother Iris Rainbird and her son Dennis. Those two died in the 1997 ep. but returned in the 2006 ep. ' Dead Letters ' as the Goodings , Ursula and her son Alistair , who were the sister and nephew of the Rainbirds. Interesting reaction from Barnaby ( Tom) when he first saw them on the village green . Muttering to himself , ' I swear , I've see them before somewhere" . When Tom enquired , Ursula told him she was Iris's sister. Don't mind actors re occuring as long as their eps. are spaced out enough.

6 years ago

Solar, that was a little stroke of genius having the Rainbirds reappear (or should I say reincarnate) as their relatives in Dead Letters. If I am not mistaken, that was the first time any actor was invited back to the series. Before that, there was a "policy" not to reuse actors, but to always keep it fresh with new faces. I thought this is what John Nettles had said in an interview.

The Goodings were such a great success that after this the producers decided to loosen the policy and several actors reappeared in subsequent episodes. I am trying to remember, but I don't think any actor appeared more than twice.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I saw John Nettles' last episode again a few nights ago. It was sadder than what I remember. It's not just the fact that it is his last show, but the story had Tom floundering. In a way, he was more like confused Jim Bergerac than confident Tom Barnaby. Not watching weekly, it has taken me, gosh, maybe 4 years to make my way through the series again. What a good time to reacquaint myself with the Rainbirds and start it all over again.

6 years ago

I watched Let Us Prey the other day and I agree Carla, much better than Christmas Haunting. The photography and sets were very well done, seems (to me) that there is an improvement in that department from past episodes. The staging for the grocery store was exceptional, it was one of the first things you see and the way the fruit/vegs were arranged, the color choices and placement, it was so eye catching. There was a crispness to the outdoor shots that seemed heightened, clearer, cleaner - a bit more artistic. This all caught my attention and held my interest. The story was good, but boy, the writers left no stone unturned - it was a little like Sodom and Gomorrah. And, to me, it had a more modern feel than in the past. It reads more like a new detective series in a quaint English village than "Midsomer Murders" - the quirkiness is gone, the characters are much more contemporary. Hard to explain, but Hidden Depths was on PBS last night and the difference between the style of the two really hit me. They can't take the series out of the village setting because that is what has driven this series for all these years, but other than that, I have a feeling that little will be left of the series we knew and loved.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Brit, I agree, the shows have a more contemporary feel. Part of that is that they no longer have as many older characters who gave the show that old village quality. It reminds of the later years of Murder She Wrote and how the charm left when they started concentrating on the younger generation. I think what it boils down to is that when Brian True-May and Tom Barnaby and his clan/sidekicks left, the old Midsomer became a sort of Brigadoon lost in the mist. This is a new Midsomer now trying to find its feet. It will never have the charm of old Midsomer, but if the stories and acting are good, I'll keep watching. I wonder how long we have until the network deems the format a dinosaur and cancels it.

6 years ago

Part of that is that they no longer have as many older characters who gave the show that old village quality.

Carla, yes, thinking back, that was a large part of it. Young faces abounded which (of course) gave the story a more contemporary feel. No way younger actors could bring the providence that their seasoned colleagues did.

Speaking of networks deeming a format a dinosaur, I was watching Rosemary and Thyme last night - I haven't seen an episode in ages so I really enjoyed it - there is a series that still has life in it. I wish they would bring the series back, there is so many possibilities for stories and when it comes to sets, photography and just straight-up flower glory you can not beat the series. I wonder if it was just too costly for them to continue. Shame if it came down to profit ratio because I think the series would do well, maybe even better the second go around!

6 years ago
soler
expert

Had to go back 6 pages to dig this one out. ha . Well, I've seen 2 eps. now from Set 25 with the new guy Gwilym Lee ( DS Charlie Nelson ) . He's a good fit for Midsomer and I wish him well. My impression from watching two eps., so far , is that he is treated with more respect from the writers than Jones . No walking thru mud or getting tomatoes thrown at him or accidently tumbling into a lake . More like an equal to Barnaby . Lets see if this holds up , I think it will as his personality does not fit with tomatoes being thrown at him. He has the casual Friday look about him , no suit and tie for Mr. DS Nelson, makes it hard to take him seriously as a CID officer but then again that could be just me. Finally , Now, I can judge Mr. Dullgeon with out the distraction of old Midsomer ghosts , Jones being the last ghost to leave the building. Well, Mr. Dullgeon , the spotlight is fully on you now , lets see if I can see you in a different light . Will need another few eps. to decide .
Must say something about the two eps. I've seen so far . Both ' Let Us Pray ' and ' Wild Harvest ' were very well written , with ' Let Us Pray ' getting a 4/5 star from me. ' Wild Harvest ' had a Restaurant / Cooking theme to it. Remember Sharon Small from Lindley ? She was in it.
Did you know that Rhubarb Leaves can kill you. Learned that from Midsomer. lol So that's why you never see Rhubarb at the market with the leaves attached . who knew ???? lol

6 years ago
wjtw
guru

Soler ~ Wow! I just learned something today. That's good news.That was some awesome information you just shared. I didn't know that. I grew up with Rhubarb in my garden and ate it all the time when I was outside playing with my neighbor friends. Your right, who knew! LOL Thanks for sharing! Big Grin. (O; Be Well.
I love reading your posts.(O; They are quite enjoyable.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Thanks wj ..... join us for a chat anytime.

6 years ago

I love reading your posts.(O; They are quite enjoyable.

Here, here! Could not agree more!

Yes Wjtw, you would be very welcomed.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Soler, I enjoyed reading your take on the new guy and latest episodes. It's very similar to my own. It is like a new show starting all over again. It will be interesting to see if your opinion on Dudgeon's Barnaby changes now that the ghosts are gone. I do miss those ghosts, though!

Oh, and I didn't know that about rhubarb leaves either, but I don't really eat the stuff. Midsomer has, though, shown me which mushrooms I shouldn't eat, if that counts. Probably not, because I only buy Shitake anyway and could recognize them in my sleep. Ah, the lessons of Midsomer.

6 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.