soler
expert
Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

7 years ago
Comments
pghfan
junior

I have everything Christie, so that is not the problem. I don't much care for CS--they don't seem to be our type, if you get my drift. I haven't seen snoops here, but a number of others from the old site seem to be. Soler/Solar, Brit Mystery, come to mind. Any of you reading up to watch/read and discuss a Christie?

7 years ago
mysterychick

When will the Midsomer chat begin? Which episode off 23 will you start with? I will check YouTube for the eppies as I'm not sure I want to buy the set. I'll post reasons in discussion.
Looking forward to a decent chat. Long overdue. ;-)

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

'The Dark Rider' was the first of that set to be broadcast.

However, 'Written in the stars' is missing from that set.

Broadcast order:

The Dark Rider
Murder of Innocence
Written in the Stars (not on set 23)
Death and the Divas ( DS Jones's last episode, however, this wasn't known at the time of filming)

7 years ago
soler
expert

sheerwater didn't realize I'd be running into Jones's last ep. so soon , thought it was further down the road. Still tryin' to get used to Dudgeon and the dog , now this new guy comes along. Last thing to change will be the scenery ...... they better not mess with that . LOL Have Set 23 on order , waitin' for it any day now.

7 years ago
deedee713
guru

When will the Midsomer chat begin?

That's funny, I thought everyone here had been chatting about Midsomer Murders. Or hadn't you noticed? Read all the previous posts, I believe that's called chatting.

Looking forward to a decent chat. Long overdue. ;-)

So your previous home wasn't to your liking? Did you share that with your gang?

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

"sheerwater didn't realize I'd be running into Jones's last ep. so soon , thought it was further down the road. Still tryin' to get used to Dudgeon and the dog , now this new guy comes along. Last thing to change will be the scenery ...... they better not mess with that . LOL Have Set 23 on order , waitin' for it any day now."

I just checked, Jones last episode is 'Schooled in Murder' which means you still have him for 3 more episodes after the current set, assuming Written in the Stars is included on set 24 when it comes out. However, as Jason Hughes didn't decide to leave until after the episode was filmed he has no on-screen exit and you'll have to wait for a later episode to discover what happened to him.

7 years ago
soler
expert

Not a show that does endings well sheerwater . Scott's leaving was equally abrupt.
Bullard to Barnaby ' No Scott today ' Barnaby to Bullard ' Called in sick ' still sick I guess.
Barnaby's retirement ep. seemed to be low key with just a quick announcement from him at the end of the ep. with the room all looking at each other as if searching for more of an explanation.
Can't wait to see how these writers are going to send Jones off but glad to have 3 more eps. with him before he leaves . Thanks for the update.

7 years ago

Soler, as you say, Midsomer does not do partings well. I enjoyed Tom Barnaby's last episode, but that was largely because I knew it was his swan song, it bordered on disgraceful that they played it so low key - I was hoping for a look back over the past years and a chance to reminise with each of the characters. We got nothing but a two minute goodbye.

If I remember correctly, part of the reason that Sgt. Scott's departure was handled so poorly was that John Hopkins left abruptly without much notice and I got the impression that the powers that be were peeved about his leaving without giving them approprriate notice - therefore, the character got the bum rush off the screen - he got sick never to return.

Sheer, do you remember hearing/reading this as well?

Now we seem to have the same situation with Sgt. Jones. Jason Hughes left between seasons so no party was planned. Hopefully, they give a better excuse than "he's out sick" and instead of turnng to the new guy with "do you want to come along to help" give hiim a solid intro. Sgt. Jones was still in uniform when he helped Barnaby with his first case, Tom commandeered him from patrol. Based on what I have heard from you all regarding Sgt. Jones treatment by John Barnaby, at least in the beginning, I can understand his decision to move on.

7 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit it seems to indicate the sidekicks couldn't have been happy to leave so abruptly. Don't know about Scott but had a growing feeling that Hughes may have had something to be disturbed about . Didn't notice it at first but started to see the Hughes character being used as a foil to Barnaby and I for one didn't like it. Jones's stumbling to show Barnaby as the wise old cop. Offended by that but didn't mind this in the case of Morse and Lewis . Inspector Morse was set up to show gruff , single , alcoholic Morse matched with polite , family man , orange juice drinking Lewis but Jones was brought in and they tried to reshape him , never tried that with Scott. So hopefully it's on to bigger and better things for Hughes with not so much as a look back .

7 years ago
sheerwater
regular

Jason Hughes reveals the real reason he quit Midsomer Murders :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2511253/Jason-Hughes-tells-real-reason-left-Midsomer-Murders.html

DS Jones is written out by way of an off-screen promotion to DI in Brighton, John Barnaby's old stomping ground prior to his transfer to Midsomer. So basically the same exit as DS Troy (who had a promotional transfer to Middlesborough) , only off-screen. This is revealed in The Christmas Haunting episode.

BTW, did I get a chance before the AETV boards closed to mention that Barry Jackson who played Dr Bullard, died on the 5 December last year?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/tv-radio-obituaries/10504134/Barry-Jackson-obituary.html

Meanwhile Fiona Dolman (Sarah Barnaby) had her baby in August, which led to the pregnancy being written into the script of the latest series. http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/2013081214064/hello-exclusive-fiona-dolman-welcomes-daughter-madeleine/

7 years ago
soler
expert

Thanks sheerwater for the news ....... still don't like what they did with his character on the show but good to know the reasons for his departure . Sad about Barry Jackson , found out a day or two after he died I think he started on the very first ep. and went through to his retirement ep. now he will never make a guest appearance in the future which I would have liked to have seen. That baby will be written into the show , one way to handle it I guess. What is that old show business saying , ' Never appear in a scene with dogs or children for they will steal the scene every time. ' Only person I knew of who could hold his own with either was WC Fields . I still find Dudgeon bland so good luck to him with his two cast mates. LOL He gonna need it , me thinks. Also, wish the new guy luck in his new role , hope they treat him O.K.

7 years ago

Thanks Sheer for that article. I won't go as far as to say I am shocked, but I am very, very surprised by Jason's Hughes' treatment. In the states, a show of the caliber of Midsomer, bringing in that size audience on a consistent basis, a car service would be the norm and anything more he needed to keep him going would have been thrown in. I am not saying we are more sensitive to such issues, but with a hit TV show everyone is willing to do whatever is necessary to protect their baby for the long haul. It is all about the investment and making sure the train keeps chugging. To me, it sounds like he would have been willing to keep on going for awhile longer had the work environment been less taxing on him. I wish him well with his new ventures.

Barry Jackson...yes, he will be so missed. I was watching the episode Sins of Commission this weekend and it was so good to see everyone. I barely remembered this story, so it was fresh all over again. Sgt. Jones was very good - I do not know what my problem was with him, I am glad I gave him another chance. Cully was in the middle of the investigation helping Tom, Barry was on screen for three murders and Joyce was there for moral support. For the first half of the story there was no way anyone could figure out who was committing the murders, it did not become clear until near the end. No worry, the ride itself was enjoyable.

7 years ago
pghfan
junior

I didn't realize we were that close to the last episode for Jason Hughes. What say we follow Sheerwater's suggestion that we start with Dark Rider, the first of the latest batch of DVDs released (at least here in the US?)

7 years ago
soler
expert

Just watched the first ep. of Set 23 ' The Dark Rider ' . This set only has 3 eps and not the usual 4 . Murders at a country estate and what an estate it is , looks like one at the top end of the scale with its impressive appearance , not as big as Downton but just as jaw dropping . English country estate with a family of crazy Aristos , what's not to like. This was Jo Wrights first project since taking over the reigns from Brian True-May so I was trying to be sensitive to any change in mood or ambiance . Must say she did a good job in holding the fort with her first venture . Appears to have been a seamless transition , hope it stays that way and she doesn't decide to put her own hand print on it down the road a bit . There is always that temptation. Just as long as her hand is not too heavy I think I'll be able to handle it. Ya can tell I want things to stay pretty much the same as when True-May was running things . LOL Glad to see the show is not about the dog . Sykes is pretty much in the background during the house scenes but it was good to see him. Mind hasn't changed about Dudgeon , still prefer Nettles with Joyce/Cully but the times they hav'a changed. What did ya think pgh ?

7 years ago
pghfan
junior

Soler, I am in for a discussion of The Dark Rider. Can you get us going?

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

I'll join in when I get copies of the latest Midsomer Murders. I'm waiting for Netflix or my library (currently 10th in line) to make them available. Please don't hold up your discussion because it may be awhile before I see them. I'll just jump in when they come in.

7 years ago
soler
expert

Don't mind waitin' for ya carla , theres no rush . Will be viewing another ep. this Saturday but don't mind reviewing it again when you're ready.

7 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks, Soler. Enjoy your episodes and discussion, and I'll be back to throw in my two cents when I have the shows.

7 years ago
pghfan
junior

I'll keep watching this space for any updates. I'll probably start watching this weekend.

7 years ago
soler
expert

pgh I don't know which ep. you'll watch this weekend , I have one to go. ' Death and the Divas ' and will watch it this week end. Must say , I have high praise for ' Murder of Innocence ' ( viewed last weekend ) I found it to be an excellent whodoneit , a real mystery up to the end. If you were a fan of the ' Dexter ' series you will see something familiar. Don't want to say any more , nothing worse than to have spoilers thrown at ya ta ruin a good mystery. Carla has yet to view as well.
****/***** stars from me on this one ...... hope the Divas ep. will be as good .

7 years ago
pghfan
junior

I think I'll start with Dark Rider, the first one.

7 years ago
soler
expert

Hmmmmmm not sure whats going on here Brit and dee , I have a bunch of threads lumped under the ' Masterpiece Theatre ' header . I clicked on MM earlier and it defaulted to 'TV Show Chat ' page , so did Poirot .

7 years ago
soler
expert

BUMP rescued from the quicksand of ' 1 post threads '. Nothing much to add except to say Set 24 will be released on July 29, 2014. only 3 eps. AGAIN

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks for the update on set 24, Solar. Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get my hands on set 23. Maybe I'll have them by Christmas. :D

6 years ago
soler
expert

Carla 23 or 24 .... it will something you have to look forward to.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Solar, great news, Netflix has today mailed The Dark Rider to me. I'll be back.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Two thumbs up Carla let me know when ya gonna view it...I'll do a rewatch on it myself.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Solar, I'll be watching The Dark Rider tonight. Can't wait!

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Sorry I've been MIA, but I'm finally back. On to Dark Rider. This has to be one of my favorites of the John Barnaby shows.

Soler said, "English country estate with a family of crazy Aristos , what's not to like." I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. We have a great bunch of crazies in this one, and that is essential for a good Midsomer episode. Feuding families, family legends, and horseless headmen are always good fun. The Civil War background was a treat because I get into all that history stuff. Together, everything worked and fortunately, it was a little surreal.

Like you, Soler, I was watching closely because it was Jo Wright's first episode. She did a very good job on this one and got the tone just right. My fingers are crossed that she doesn't branch out too much in future.

Casting was perfect even if the snippy old mother stole the show. James Callis as the twins was a good choice, and they surprised me because I thought they would take that in a different direction.

I like that Barnaby and Jones are building a good rapport. Of course it hardly matters now that Jones is about to say adios, but it's still good to see. It makes me like John more even if Sykes will always be my favorite new Barnaby character. I will always prefer Tom and his clan to John and his, but at least John has become more likable. The doctor hasn't made an impression one way or the other, but I do miss Bullard.

On to the next.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Carla you're back ..... yea Dark Ryder is good , I first of all was judging it on , if it still gave me the overall Midsomer feel and it did , being it was Jo Wright's first turn out of the gate. Country Estates always get me anyway. lol The next one in the set ( Set 23 ) is ' Murder of Innocence ' . I gave it a rating of ****/***** stars , where as the other two got ***/***** . Just my very amateurish rating system at play here . Lliked the murder plot in this one and how it played out. Looked like it was filmed in autumn or early winter .
Glad the way their doing the Sykes bit . Not Over done. Worse scenario would be the dog finding bits of evidence in murder investigations and the whole thing would turn into the John and Sykes Show , I know , sounds far fetched but ya never know especially with new people coming on. Just keep it the way it is , when Sykes is in a scene he steals it , cuzzzz he's so cute . lol
Am with you on the Tom verses John debate. Have watched 11 eps. with John Barnaby and will say I prefer the old days with Tom and bunch but if Jo Wright stays the course and don't make too many changes I guess thats all we can hope for. Happy viewing Carla

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Solar, I enjoy your rating system. I just saw Murder of Innocence and agree with you on liking how the murder plot played out. It was unrealistic, but it's Midsomer, and the unrealistic should always be expected. It was interesting Jones being on the hit list rather than just a bystander. The show didn't have as much of a Midsomer feel to me because it was very dark. I prefer the playfulness that we just saw in Dark Rider. I like my murders to have a little more fun to them. :D

Was this the first time we saw Jones in a relationship? I remember seeing him flirt before but never anything this serious. As weird as it sounds, it's strange seeing the guys having real rather than implied relationships, if you know what I mean.

They are bringing John's wife in more and more, as they should. I keep thinking how poor Joyce always ended up finding bodies all over the place.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

On to Death and the Divas. This one was just so-so. The premise sounded good, but I thought the show didn't live up to the premise. While it was interesting having the flashbacks to the movies, sometimes they went on a little too long. Another strike against it was that the family secret was so easy to figure out early on. A good thing is that we got to know a little more about John Barnaby. Who would have thought he would be a horror film fan?

I couldn't help but think of Brian True-May when seeing the diverse cast from the delivery driver to the woman at the party in a sari. This ain't True-May's Midsomer anymore.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Yes Carla changes are bound to come with a different driver at the wheel. More changes will come with the next Set release ( Set 24 ) on July 29 . That's when we'll get to see ' Schooled in Murder " Jones last ep.

6 years ago

Soler, I just finished re-watching Set 16 of MM, which included Midsomer Life, The Magician's Nephew, Days of Misrule and Talking to the Dead. I enjoyed the episodes, bar one, much more this go-around then the first, where I was largely disappointed in this set. Things may have slowed down, none of these are near the top of the list of my memorable episodes, but they still have a spark. Now that John Nettles is gone I see these episodes through different eyes.
Talking to the Dead... gee, that is quite a dark episode - really cold blooded. I mostly had forgotten the story. What did you think of it? To me, it lacked the touch of humor we usually find in the stories and it was hard to watch the killers reenactment of the crime. Not one I would run to watch again anytime soon.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Yeah Brit know what ya mean by being dark . Supernatural theme not to my liking . There was another ep. I recall with this theme ( now I can think of two ) . Unlikeable characters , Levanu and Stone , with Stone being the most grating of the two. ( glad his wife left him LOL ) . Gave it a so-so rating of 3/5 , what caught my attention was at the beginning , people disappearing mid way through breakfast. Curious crime scene. All n' all , not a fav. Like the ones with off the wall eccentrics in country houses , there the best or characters like Dennis Rainbird and his mother in a couple of earlier eps. Gotta be a little quirky ta make it fun to watch.
These last eps. with Nettles is like a door slowly closing , end of July will be the release of Set 24 , with Jones gone the door will be fully closed to the old list of characters . Its like an old neighborhood where the houses get bought up by younger people .

6 years ago

The opening of the episode is interesting, it does catch your attention, but the episode did not deliver from there...the quirkiness left after that - it was like any other who done it you find out there, did not have that MM feel.

Boy, that is right on target, perfect way to describe it "its like an old neighborhood where the houses get bought up by younger people" ... it isn't "your" neighborhood anymore, at least the one you had come to know and love, it belongs to others now.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Solar, great way to describe the turn of the show with Jones leaving. I'm not looking forward to Jones leaving. I have a feeling that after watching the first non-Jones episode will be when I decide whether to continue watching the show or give it up for reruns. I saw one of the good old shows, Death in Chorus, just last night. Bullard had a more sizable role and the chance to do something different, plus there was more "Tom and Joyce as a couple" time. Very good.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Todays Midsomer view will be ' The Glitch ' from 2009 . Poirot's Japp ( Philip Jackson ) is in this one.

6 years ago

Finally was able to get a copy of John Nettles (and the Tom Barnaby family's) last episode, Fit for Murder. I stopped purchasing the series after Set 17, but I really wanted to have the very last one and I enjoyed it, so that also spurred me on.

In the UK they sell the individual episodes, at least many are available before the full sets are released. There were no new copies to be had, they were grabbed-up right away, so I have been looking at the secondary market for a good used copy at a reasonable price. Found it! Came in nearly new condition and I cannot wait to watch. As I mentioned, I have been re-watching the Sgt. Jones episodes I own and have Set 17 yet to view - I may not be able to wait until I am finished with those - I am trying to hold out... I may not make it!

6 years ago
soler
expert

BUMP

6 years ago

Question, does anyone know which episode it was when Tom met his match with a MI5/MI6 agent who was controlling the operation and in the end the guilty party got off and Tom could do nothing about it. This was the only time Tom did not get his man (or woman) and bring them to justice.

I thought it was Secrets and Spies, I watched it the other night and that isn't it. He battled with the head MI5 agent - who repeatedly got her way, but the killer was taken away to jail. In the one I am thinking of they protected the individual who committed the crimes.

Am I going bonkers and remembering a story that does not exist?

6 years ago
pghfan
junior

Brit: This does sound familiar to me. Didn't something similar to this happen in Foyle's War as well? That causes Foyle to resign?

6 years ago
soler
expert

Brit ..... I can't think of any other ep. other than S&S that has MI 5 in it with Brenda Packard's memorable line , " We always win, Tom " . If I find one , I'll let ya know. Placed my order the other day for Set 24 from Amazon. Only 3 eps. but it will be a door closer as it has Jones's last ep.

6 years ago

Soler, good line, wasn't it! Now that I remembered from the episode...thank goodness for something.

Pghfan, I must be confusing the two series, maybe it is Foyle's War, or maybe I was remembering the end incorrectly thinking the person got off and it actually did not happen that way.

Sad day with Jones leaving. I look at the new cast and I don't feel a thing that attracts me to any of them - not even the dog which everyone raves about. Not fair, I know, because I have not watched since Tom and family left. I could, there are some episodes on the 'Tube, but I don't have the interest to do so.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Does anyone have Acorn streaming? I'm going to sign up for the acorn free trial this weekend and hope it works well enough to get a subscription. It takes such a long time to get the new mysteries through Netflix, and it would be nice not to have to wait two months to discuss the new Midsomer episodes. I see Acorn has the new Midsomer episodes as well as the new Poirots plus lots of other good stuff. I've seen some reports that Acorn streaming isn't as seamless as Netflix, but I figure give them a try. Has anyone had good luck with Acorn?

6 years ago
donny24
expert

I have Acorn and up to now is ok. I haven't had any problems with it. I stream through Roku---Googlechrome stick player gives me a lot of headaches-it freezes a lot, the sound when streaming is horrible. In Acorn, there are a lot of programs to choose from but Acorn-I know it is a business and it has to sell in order to get money-gets me annoyed offering me a lot of ads in my email for buying and buying a lot of stuff.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

Thanks for the info on Acorn, Donny. I use Roku for Netflix and will also be using it for Acorn. We have 3 Roku devices throughout the house, and I'm hoping to set up all 3 thru 1 Acorn account. Thanks for the heads-up about the email. I'll make sure I use a throwaway email account rather than my regular ones.

6 years ago
pghfan
junior

Brit: I have watched some of the newer ones, with the new Barnaby, but with Jones still. They seem to be making Jones less competent, for some inexplicable reason. As for the dog, well, I love dogs, but there is really nothing special about this one. He is only in a few seconds of the show, and for no apparent reason.

6 years ago
carlapbs
guru

If anyone is up for discussing the latest Midsomer shows just released, let me know. So far I have seen Written in the Stars and The Sicilian Defence.

I've been like a kid in a candy shop since signing up with Acorn, and there are tons of goodies left to see. At least now I'm able to discuss all of the latest shows with everyone else.

6 years ago
soler
expert

Carla ..... just viewed ' Schooled in Murder ' , this was Jone's last ep. let us know when you've seen it , thought it had a bit of a surprise at the end but will say no more for now.

6 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.