TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Midsomer Murders
soler
expert
Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

5 years ago
Comments

Soler, I am passing this along as an FYI, I know you are knee deep in your reading, but I thought you may enjoy this. Annette Badland (Dr. Fleur) plays a detective inspector in this series and the first episode is quite good. This is the second go around of this series for me; both times, this is the episode that stands out...the remaining are good, but not as good as this one. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jrx2

9 months ago
soler
expert

Very good Brit ............ I can picture her more as a D.I. rather than her role as a M.E. in Midsomer. She has that commanding presence that a successful DI needs and her age fits in well as a DI . Presently watching a British detective series ( 3 seasons ) called ' Hinterland ' ( I know, sounds like a nature series ) Story is about a detective who escapes the hectic hussel and bussel of London for the quitter pace of Welsh rural life but finds solving murder is just as challenging . Gives me a chance ta see some Welsh countryside. Presently reading 3 books , something I said I would never do ..... 2 books at once is enough. I blame Kindle for making it so easy.

9 months ago

I agree Soler, she would have made an excellent detective as shown by the BBC 4 radio series. Why they did not transfer it to a TV series I don't understand. She started the role in the mid '90's and it went on until the early 2000's - after it's end it would have been a perfect time to develop a tv series with her in the lead. I think it would have done very well. I will move the discussion of Hinterland to the GD thread as I am pretty sure Deedee has watched it as well.

9 months ago
soler
expert

Brit ... The other day I watched an old Hickson Marple , ' A Pocketful of Rye ' ( 1985 ) at the end I brought up it's IMDB page to see what the actors have been up to , I often do this after watching old shows. What I surprise I got while reading down the list of credits . There was the name Annette Badland opposite a character named Gladys . Selina Cadell was in it as well and her character called her ' Gladys the rabbit ' because she played a nervous , timid house maid. Never made the connection while watching the show . After all it was made in 1984. Good ol' Fleur Perkins who doesn't display one single bit of nervousness or being the least bit timid . I like getting these little surprises when they pop up.

8 months ago

Soler, I don't remember Annette Badland being in A Pocketful of Rye either. In fact, at the moment I am not remembering much about Hickson's version of the story... time for a re-watch. It will have to wait until I replace my DVD player that died. Interesting point, Annette played a quiet secretary in "Bergerac" as well. Nothing dynamic about her, sweet disposition and face, but certainly not an attention getting character, she melded in to the background. I know I told you this before, she was not happy with her time in Bergerac, never said why, but the experience was not a good one for her. I think as a young actress it took awhile for her to find her voice. She is certainly no wallflower now!

8 months ago
soler
expert

Brit .... have ya seen this one ????? .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J38H3xnvgiQ

8 months ago

Wow, wow, wow.... I just watched a little, I am going to take my time on this. I haven't seen it, what a find. That John Nettles is one handsome man!

8 months ago
soler
expert

Brit .... saw a vid. interview of Barry Jackson , ( Dr. Bullard ). If I can find it I'll post it.

7 months ago

Soler, I just finished watching "The Oblong Murders" one of the best of the John Barnaby era (the other being "Last Man Out". The last of Barry Jackson's, Dr. Bullard and the end of an era; and DS Jones in all his glory (huba, huba). Jason Hughes can not be replaced....ever. Love. David Hoskins wrote the episode, this was his last Midsomer as well. He wrote many of the iconic episodes of the series going back to S4, (2001).

6 months ago
soler
expert

Yes Brit .... The Oblong Murders .. comes up in my queue the week after next , the 85 th Midsomer . just started the Dullgeon run 3 weeks ago . Lost Tom , Joyce and Cully now with the Oblong , will loose Dr. Bullard . The last to go will be Jones . Then I'll be in the Midsomer eps. with the entire new cast , just count the days till I'm back at the beginning with ' The Killings at Badger's Drift , still find the writing good so I'm grateful for that and the British countryside is still a big plus , just miss the old gang.

6 months ago

Soler, you know what I find interesting, the new crew seems to enjoy reveling in the celebrity that starring in Midsomer affords them. For the last few years both Neil Dudgeon, Fiona Dolman and Nick Hendrix have attended the TV Festival in Cannes/Monte-Carlo, splashing it out with photos of themselves dressed up for whatever event they were attending. Take a look at Fiona's IMDB photo, that was the Monte-Carlo year. Jason Hughes did attend once, but it was the festival (in Cannes) after he had already left the series. I kind of felt like he was invited by someone to hang with the "big guns" as a little bit of recognition after all his years with the franchise. It was a casual shot of him with Neil and Fiona. Can you imagine John Nettles and Jane Wymark doing that? No, I can't either. Getting the Midsomer gig was a real boost for Neil, Fiona and Nick. Yes they have solid resumes, but I wonder if they were invited to attend the festivals before Midsomer?

6 months ago

Here's a bit of fun, quite nice, but with that much money to spend ($1,579,790) I would be moving to Cannes and be there for the next TV Festival. The gang can come and visit me at my new home, Jason Hughes is very much invited! ………………………&he
llip;……………………&helli
p;…………... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6804021/Cosy-six-bed-house-doubled-Midsomer-Murders-filming-location-hits-market-1-195m.html

6 months ago

I don't know what happened there after my exclamation point (I didn't write any of that), but the link works fine.

6 months ago

Soler, they aired "Schooled in Murder" on my local PBS station recently, when I saw the adverts for it my interest was peeked as there was a host of familiar faces in it. I did not see this one before... I had pretty much given up on "Midsomer" when this was first shown, this period is still iffy with me, but I decided I needed to give it a go and this weekend I did.

I can't remember another episode with so many well known guest stars! Hattie Morahand from the TV "Sense and Sensibility" remake (among other things); Lucy Liemann from "Agatha Raisin"; Martine McCutcheon from my fav, "Love Actually" and Miss Marple; Maggie Steed (more does not need to be said); and Con O'Neill who I remember from "The Tunnel". This is an impressive lot! The story was not new, it has been done many times before, but the cheese factory aspect was an twist and added the Midsomer dimension to it.

All in all, it should have been a spectacular episode... yet, even with this caliber of talent, I found it to be lukewarm. This is early on in John Barnaby's tenure and although (thank goodness) there was no Ben Jones bashing in this one, Neil Dudgeon and Fiona Dolman were as interesting as watching paint dry. Dull as dishwater. Things have become more interesting in recent seasons since the family has grown - and I know they were trying to have Sarah Barnaby become a mystery author (not sure how that will turn out) - but geez, I was left thinking how wonderful the episode would have been if John Nettles was still riding high.

4 months ago

That should have been "piqued"... (shaking head as I write this, I should have caught that one)!

4 months ago
soler
expert

Brit .. as soon as you mentioned ' Schooled in Murder ' I immediately went to my schedule to see where this ep. fits in . I noticed I will be viewing it in 3 weeks. This was Jones last ep. I

4 months ago
soler
expert

Brit .. as soon as you mentioned ' Schooled in Murder ' I immediately went to my schedule to see where this ep. fits in . I noticed I will be viewing it in 3 weeks. This was Jones last ep. I have come thru the eps. where Jones was portrayed as a buffoon . Hard to take , I think it was done to make Dullgeon look good . He would stand back all aloof and come out with gems of wisdom to which Jones would grimace as if he were saying to himself " Dame , why didn't I think of that " . Can't help but think he knew what was going on and it weighed in on his decision to leave. Although he gave other reasons I think it was because he didn't want to burn any bridges. Brit , I still can't connect with Dullgeon and Dolman in their domestic scenes. As you say , dull as dish water, even with a child it comes no where near Tom and Joyce. As far as Sarah Barnaby is concerned I get the impression she crashes thru the front door only to change clothes then she's off again on another project. John and Sarah and home life just ain't working for me. lol >>>>>>>>>>> Don't know how THAT post above this got sent ??? I didn't send it . GREMLINS .. GREMLINS .. at it again.

4 months ago

Can't help but think he knew what was going on and it weighed in on his decision to leave.

I said this at the time when he announced his departure from the series. It had to, they treated the character of Ben Jones as comic relief... someone for John Barnaby to make quips about, raise an eyebrow at and shine over. He realized the only reason he was still there was to make Neil Dullgeon look good. I give him a lot of credit for standing up for himself and moving on. After all his time with the series, I feel as you do, he didn't want to burn any bridges and he left gracefully.

They did call him back for an episode and gave him a really meaty role, so he was right in taking the high road. That is my favorite John Barnaby episode of all time, and it had little, to nothing, to do with good ole John!

I was trying to be kind regarding John and Sarah, I didn't want to totally squash them... but, I agree, they will never come close to Tom and Joyce, not even on their best day.

What gets me is what I was speaking of above in my Cannes TV Festival post regarding these two... Neil and Fiona are basking in the limelight of a popular series that both walked in to, neither bringing anything substancial to the table themselves. That series is what it is because of John Nettles and company. Neil and Fiona had nothing to do with growing that franchise to what it is today, yet they are grabbing as much of the glory as they can.

4 months ago

In all fairness, I shouldn't say that they have done nothing for the Midsomer franchise, they have been holding it together over the last few years, particularly as there has been such a change over in the cast. My point is that they walked in to a winner and have solidified themselves on a fanbase that was grown from the efforts of others. It was (and still is) a golden opportunity for them.

4 months ago
flabby92

Must admit that I haven't seen many Midsomer murders since John Nettles left - must give it another look.

3 months ago
soler
expert

flabby92 .. I find the writing is just as good for the most part , although I find it has gotten away from the quirky murders of old .... none of the original crew is left , gotta get used to all the new faces. lol ... give it a try with a few eps. and see what ya think.

3 months ago

Soler, I watched the Midsomer 20th Anniversary Special the other night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. At the moment it is exclusive to Acorn TV, but I will guess that during the PBS pledge drive at the end of this year they will be airing it. This is the kind of thing that PBS loves to air to roll the money in, so keep a look out. John Nettles narrates it and it includes the lovely Jane Wymark, Daniel Casey and Jason Hughes (both who are looking so good!!); Neil Dudgeon and Nick Hendrix (the boring twins). Neil was actually humorous and did a nice job of it. Wish he showed as much personality while playing the part! There was no Laura Howard, for which I was disappointed as I would have liked to have seen Cully.

Fiona Dolman was not included, but I think it was best to leave JW (our Joyce) as the reigning Mrs. B., so that is understandable. The one big exclusion... other than a shot of him in one of the flash backs, not a mention was made of John Hopkins, Sgt. Scott! He was largely ignored and that I attribute to the fact (which I have always maintained) that their was no love lost in his relationship with Midsomer. The way he left, that was not a good one and I think he (and they) rather not linger on it. Much like Annette Badland's feelings about her Bergerac days.

BTW, she also was included in the lineup. John Nettles did acknowledge Barry Jackson, which was right and proper. I also thought they should have included Gwilym Lee (DS Nelson) as he did as many episodes (to date) as Nick Hendrix (Winters) and I rather liked him in the role. He was no Ben Jones or Gavin Troy, but he was a far cry better than Hendrix who adds nada to the series.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Great news Brit about the Anniversary Special being done .... now only if PBS will pick it up. You're right about their ' begathon ' approach , they would love something like this . Too bad about Cully not being their, she was very much part of the team. No ' Hoppie ' included in the reunion .... can't say I'm surprised. Don't think Hopkins ever thought Midsomer was serious work . Looking back at a story I read about him , he was talking about projects his actor friends were involved in ...... as if to say ' and all I had at the time was Midsomer ' . His leaving of the show was abrupt , with the last mention of him was made by Tom Barnaby " he called in sick ". and that was it ... he stayed permanently sick as this was the lead in for Jones in ' The House in the Woods ' ep. Just watched Jone's last ep. last weekend . He left with no send off or mention as well. So that just leaves Troy who was the only one who got a proper leave . Start the Gwilym Lee stuff next week . I find him rather dry and will be quite an adjustment from Jones. Still looking for ' The Missing ' on Netflix , haven't found it though .

3 months ago

Soler, The Missing is not currently on Netflix. The original series was shown here in the States on the Starz channel. This is where we first meet the French detective Julien Baptiste. There was a second series, again with Inspector Baptiste, which took place in Germany. That was also shown on Starz. If you can get access to Starz they are both still available On Demand. This is a pay for view channel, so unless you have a friend who has it, or some way to access it for free, I would wait for the new production (a spin off of The Missing) Baptiste, to be shown on Netflix. I can't find any info as yet to when Netflix will air the new series. They have promoted it as S3 of The Missing, but it really is a new series unto itself. Think of it as if Detective Inspector Thursday of Endeavour got his own series, same type of thing.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Ohhhhhhhhhhh …….. that's why I couldn't find it . lol and me thinking … it's my eyes , they aren't what they used to be. Speaking of Thursday Brit ..I watches Endeavour on DVR last night … will watch it again tonight before posting on it.

3 months ago
soler
expert

Brit .. changing my mind about DS Charlie Nelson . Thought him dull along with blending into the furniture a little too much. After having watches 7 ep. ( only done 15 ) I am having a change of opinion about him. Although operating at a lower key than Troy or Jones I find he has a steadiness about him that adapts well with Midsomer . He only done 15 eps. , wonder why.

4 weeks ago

Soler, DS Nelson grew on me, he was a much better fit for the role than the current DS Winters, Nick Hendrix. I liked the interaction between he and Kate Wilding (the prior Doc), another that grew on with time. I found an article which discusses "The Mystery of the Disappearing Midsomer Sidekicks" and it has this to say...

A production source explained this week that he'd (Lee) decided to leave to take up other opportunities. 'I think the young actors on the show only want to do a couple of series before they move on,' she said.

4 weeks ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.