TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Midsomer Murders
Midsomer Murders

MM Set # 23 will be released on February 4, 2014. on Amazon

7 years ago
Comments

Soler, I am passing this along as an FYI, I know you are knee deep in your reading, but I thought you may enjoy this. Annette Badland (Dr. Fleur) plays a detective inspector in this series and the first episode is quite good. This is the second go around of this series for me; both times, this is the episode that stands out...the remaining are good, but not as good as this one. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jrx2

2 years ago

Very good Brit ............ I can picture her more as a D.I. rather than her role as a M.E. in Midsomer. She has that commanding presence that a successful DI needs and her age fits in well as a DI . Presently watching a British detective series ( 3 seasons ) called ' Hinterland ' ( I know, sounds like a nature series ) Story is about a detective who escapes the hectic hussel and bussel of London for the quitter pace of Welsh rural life but finds solving murder is just as challenging . Gives me a chance ta see some Welsh countryside. Presently reading 3 books , something I said I would never do ..... 2 books at once is enough. I blame Kindle for making it so easy.

2 years ago

I agree Soler, she would have made an excellent detective as shown by the BBC 4 radio series. Why they did not transfer it to a TV series I don't understand. She started the role in the mid '90's and it went on until the early 2000's - after it's end it would have been a perfect time to develop a tv series with her in the lead. I think it would have done very well. I will move the discussion of Hinterland to the GD thread as I am pretty sure Deedee has watched it as well.

2 years ago

Brit ... The other day I watched an old Hickson Marple , ' A Pocketful of Rye ' ( 1985 ) at the end I brought up it's IMDB page to see what the actors have been up to , I often do this after watching old shows. What I surprise I got while reading down the list of credits . There was the name Annette Badland opposite a character named Gladys . Selina Cadell was in it as well and her character called her ' Gladys the rabbit ' because she played a nervous , timid house maid. Never made the connection while watching the show . After all it was made in 1984. Good ol' Fleur Perkins who doesn't display one single bit of nervousness or being the least bit timid . I like getting these little surprises when they pop up.

2 years ago

Soler, I don't remember Annette Badland being in A Pocketful of Rye either. In fact, at the moment I am not remembering much about Hickson's version of the story... time for a re-watch. It will have to wait until I replace my DVD player that died. Interesting point, Annette played a quiet secretary in "Bergerac" as well. Nothing dynamic about her, sweet disposition and face, but certainly not an attention getting character, she melded in to the background. I know I told you this before, she was not happy with her time in Bergerac, never said why, but the experience was not a good one for her. I think as a young actress it took awhile for her to find her voice. She is certainly no wallflower now!

2 years ago

Brit .... have ya seen this one ????? .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J38H3xnvgiQ

2 years ago

Wow, wow, wow.... I just watched a little, I am going to take my time on this. I haven't seen it, what a find. That John Nettles is one handsome man!

2 years ago

Brit .... saw a vid. interview of Barry Jackson , ( Dr. Bullard ). If I can find it I'll post it.

2 years ago

Soler, I just finished watching "The Oblong Murders" one of the best of the John Barnaby era (the other being "Last Man Out". The last of Barry Jackson's, Dr. Bullard and the end of an era; and DS Jones in all his glory (huba, huba). Jason Hughes can not be replaced....ever. Love. David Hoskins wrote the episode, this was his last Midsomer as well. He wrote many of the iconic episodes of the series going back to S4, (2001).

2 years ago

Yes Brit .... The Oblong Murders .. comes up in my queue the week after next , the 85 th Midsomer . just started the Dullgeon run 3 weeks ago . Lost Tom , Joyce and Cully now with the Oblong , will loose Dr. Bullard . The last to go will be Jones . Then I'll be in the Midsomer eps. with the entire new cast , just count the days till I'm back at the beginning with ' The Killings at Badger's Drift , still find the writing good so I'm grateful for that and the British countryside is still a big plus , just miss the old gang.

2 years ago

Soler, you know what I find interesting, the new crew seems to enjoy reveling in the celebrity that starring in Midsomer affords them. For the last few years both Neil Dudgeon, Fiona Dolman and Nick Hendrix have attended the TV Festival in Cannes/Monte-Carlo, splashing it out with photos of themselves dressed up for whatever event they were attending. Take a look at Fiona's IMDB photo, that was the Monte-Carlo year. Jason Hughes did attend once, but it was the festival (in Cannes) after he had already left the series. I kind of felt like he was invited by someone to hang with the "big guns" as a little bit of recognition after all his years with the franchise. It was a casual shot of him with Neil and Fiona. Can you imagine John Nettles and Jane Wymark doing that? No, I can't either. Getting the Midsomer gig was a real boost for Neil, Fiona and Nick. Yes they have solid resumes, but I wonder if they were invited to attend the festivals before Midsomer?

2 years ago

Here's a bit of fun, quite nice, but with that much money to spend ($1,579,790) I would be moving to Cannes and be there for the next TV Festival. The gang can come and visit me at my new home, Jason Hughes is very much invited! ………………………&he
llip;……………………&helli
p;…………... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6804021/Cosy-six-bed-house-doubled-Midsomer-Murders-filming-location-hits-market-1-195m.html

2 years ago

I don't know what happened there after my exclamation point (I didn't write any of that), but the link works fine.

2 years ago

Soler, they aired "Schooled in Murder" on my local PBS station recently, when I saw the adverts for it my interest was peeked as there was a host of familiar faces in it. I did not see this one before... I had pretty much given up on "Midsomer" when this was first shown, this period is still iffy with me, but I decided I needed to give it a go and this weekend I did.

I can't remember another episode with so many well known guest stars! Hattie Morahand from the TV "Sense and Sensibility" remake (among other things); Lucy Liemann from "Agatha Raisin"; Martine McCutcheon from my fav, "Love Actually" and Miss Marple; Maggie Steed (more does not need to be said); and Con O'Neill who I remember from "The Tunnel". This is an impressive lot! The story was not new, it has been done many times before, but the cheese factory aspect was an twist and added the Midsomer dimension to it.

All in all, it should have been a spectacular episode... yet, even with this caliber of talent, I found it to be lukewarm. This is early on in John Barnaby's tenure and although (thank goodness) there was no Ben Jones bashing in this one, Neil Dudgeon and Fiona Dolman were as interesting as watching paint dry. Dull as dishwater. Things have become more interesting in recent seasons since the family has grown - and I know they were trying to have Sarah Barnaby become a mystery author (not sure how that will turn out) - but geez, I was left thinking how wonderful the episode would have been if John Nettles was still riding high.

2 years ago

That should have been "piqued"... (shaking head as I write this, I should have caught that one)!

2 years ago

Brit .. as soon as you mentioned ' Schooled in Murder ' I immediately went to my schedule to see where this ep. fits in . I noticed I will be viewing it in 3 weeks. This was Jones last ep. I

2 years ago

Brit .. as soon as you mentioned ' Schooled in Murder ' I immediately went to my schedule to see where this ep. fits in . I noticed I will be viewing it in 3 weeks. This was Jones last ep. I have come thru the eps. where Jones was portrayed as a buffoon . Hard to take , I think it was done to make Dullgeon look good . He would stand back all aloof and come out with gems of wisdom to which Jones would grimace as if he were saying to himself " Dame , why didn't I think of that " . Can't help but think he knew what was going on and it weighed in on his decision to leave. Although he gave other reasons I think it was because he didn't want to burn any bridges. Brit , I still can't connect with Dullgeon and Dolman in their domestic scenes. As you say , dull as dish water, even with a child it comes no where near Tom and Joyce. As far as Sarah Barnaby is concerned I get the impression she crashes thru the front door only to change clothes then she's off again on another project. John and Sarah and home life just ain't working for me. lol >>>>>>>>>>> Don't know how THAT post above this got sent ??? I didn't send it . GREMLINS .. GREMLINS .. at it again.

2 years ago

Can't help but think he knew what was going on and it weighed in on his decision to leave.

I said this at the time when he announced his departure from the series. It had to, they treated the character of Ben Jones as comic relief... someone for John Barnaby to make quips about, raise an eyebrow at and shine over. He realized the only reason he was still there was to make Neil Dullgeon look good. I give him a lot of credit for standing up for himself and moving on. After all his time with the series, I feel as you do, he didn't want to burn any bridges and he left gracefully.

They did call him back for an episode and gave him a really meaty role, so he was right in taking the high road. That is my favorite John Barnaby episode of all time, and it had little, to nothing, to do with good ole John!

I was trying to be kind regarding John and Sarah, I didn't want to totally squash them... but, I agree, they will never come close to Tom and Joyce, not even on their best day.

What gets me is what I was speaking of above in my Cannes TV Festival post regarding these two... Neil and Fiona are basking in the limelight of a popular series that both walked in to, neither bringing anything substancial to the table themselves. That series is what it is because of John Nettles and company. Neil and Fiona had nothing to do with growing that franchise to what it is today, yet they are grabbing as much of the glory as they can.

2 years ago

In all fairness, I shouldn't say that they have done nothing for the Midsomer franchise, they have been holding it together over the last few years, particularly as there has been such a change over in the cast. My point is that they walked in to a winner and have solidified themselves on a fanbase that was grown from the efforts of others. It was (and still is) a golden opportunity for them.

2 years ago
flabby92

Must admit that I haven't seen many Midsomer murders since John Nettles left - must give it another look.

2 years ago

flabby92 .. I find the writing is just as good for the most part , although I find it has gotten away from the quirky murders of old .... none of the original crew is left , gotta get used to all the new faces. lol ... give it a try with a few eps. and see what ya think.

2 years ago

Soler, I watched the Midsomer 20th Anniversary Special the other night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. At the moment it is exclusive to Acorn TV, but I will guess that during the PBS pledge drive at the end of this year they will be airing it. This is the kind of thing that PBS loves to air to roll the money in, so keep a look out. John Nettles narrates it and it includes the lovely Jane Wymark, Daniel Casey and Jason Hughes (both who are looking so good!!); Neil Dudgeon and Nick Hendrix (the boring twins). Neil was actually humorous and did a nice job of it. Wish he showed as much personality while playing the part! There was no Laura Howard, for which I was disappointed as I would have liked to have seen Cully.

Fiona Dolman was not included, but I think it was best to leave JW (our Joyce) as the reigning Mrs. B., so that is understandable. The one big exclusion... other than a shot of him in one of the flash backs, not a mention was made of John Hopkins, Sgt. Scott! He was largely ignored and that I attribute to the fact (which I have always maintained) that their was no love lost in his relationship with Midsomer. The way he left, that was not a good one and I think he (and they) rather not linger on it. Much like Annette Badland's feelings about her Bergerac days.

BTW, she also was included in the lineup. John Nettles did acknowledge Barry Jackson, which was right and proper. I also thought they should have included Gwilym Lee (DS Nelson) as he did as many episodes (to date) as Nick Hendrix (Winters) and I rather liked him in the role. He was no Ben Jones or Gavin Troy, but he was a far cry better than Hendrix who adds nada to the series.

1 year ago

Great news Brit about the Anniversary Special being done .... now only if PBS will pick it up. You're right about their ' begathon ' approach , they would love something like this . Too bad about Cully not being their, she was very much part of the team. No ' Hoppie ' included in the reunion .... can't say I'm surprised. Don't think Hopkins ever thought Midsomer was serious work . Looking back at a story I read about him , he was talking about projects his actor friends were involved in ...... as if to say ' and all I had at the time was Midsomer ' . His leaving of the show was abrupt , with the last mention of him was made by Tom Barnaby " he called in sick ". and that was it ... he stayed permanently sick as this was the lead in for Jones in ' The House in the Woods ' ep. Just watched Jone's last ep. last weekend . He left with no send off or mention as well. So that just leaves Troy who was the only one who got a proper leave . Start the Gwilym Lee stuff next week . I find him rather dry and will be quite an adjustment from Jones. Still looking for ' The Missing ' on Netflix , haven't found it though .

1 year ago

Soler, The Missing is not currently on Netflix. The original series was shown here in the States on the Starz channel. This is where we first meet the French detective Julien Baptiste. There was a second series, again with Inspector Baptiste, which took place in Germany. That was also shown on Starz. If you can get access to Starz they are both still available On Demand. This is a pay for view channel, so unless you have a friend who has it, or some way to access it for free, I would wait for the new production (a spin off of The Missing) Baptiste, to be shown on Netflix. I can't find any info as yet to when Netflix will air the new series. They have promoted it as S3 of The Missing, but it really is a new series unto itself. Think of it as if Detective Inspector Thursday of Endeavour got his own series, same type of thing.

1 year ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhh …….. that's why I couldn't find it . lol and me thinking … it's my eyes , they aren't what they used to be. Speaking of Thursday Brit ..I watches Endeavour on DVR last night … will watch it again tonight before posting on it.

1 year ago

Brit .. changing my mind about DS Charlie Nelson . Thought him dull along with blending into the furniture a little too much. After having watches 7 ep. ( only done 15 ) I am having a change of opinion about him. Although operating at a lower key than Troy or Jones I find he has a steadiness about him that adapts well with Midsomer . He only done 15 eps. , wonder why.

1 year ago

Soler, DS Nelson grew on me, he was a much better fit for the role than the current DS Winters, Nick Hendrix. I liked the interaction between he and Kate Wilding (the prior Doc), another that grew on with time. I found an article which discusses "The Mystery of the Disappearing Midsomer Sidekicks" and it has this to say...

A production source explained this week that he'd (Lee) decided to leave to take up other opportunities. 'I think the young actors on the show only want to do a couple of series before they move on,' she said.

1 year ago

Brit .. interesting but sad point I noticed in last weeks ep. that I watched . Clive Swift was in it. Clive played the perpetually bewildered husband Richard to Hyacinth in ' Keeping Up Appearances ' Of course looked older than back in his Hyacinth days but this was his last TV appearance before passing this past February at age 82. ' Crime and Punishment ' first aired in January 2017.

1 year ago

Soler, I remember that episode, I was thrilled to see him, but was taken aback because he looked so much older than (of course) I saw him in my mind's eye. Keeping Up Appearances ended in 1995, that was twenty plus years before - he was in his early sixty's when he played Richard. I also remember him in Morse's The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn. I felt the same way, as happy as I was to see him, I felt a little sad - he looked his age - it hits you all at one time. When he passed I looked at IMDB and saw that this was his last role on TV. Thank goodness for Midsomer, the series gives these wonderful actors an opportunity to shine (once again) on the screen - age is considered an asset to becoming a Midsomer alumni.

1 year ago
zainy_elen1

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

1 year ago
zainy_elen1

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

1 year ago

Soler, you will never guess what I watched last night... Fit for Murder, with our dear Tom Barnaby! They aired it on my local PBS the other night (in two parts) and I DVR'd it to watch. I saw John Nettles face on the screen and I just wanted to see the old crew again, particularly since this was his last episode and one of my favorites from the later years.

I finished Part One and plan to watch Part Two tonight. JN is looking so good, very fit, reminding me of his younger Bergerac days. I remembered near the end, the last season or two, he had slimed down quite a bit.

Tom B. and Sergeant Jones were so good together. That combination of personalities was gold on screen. I'm even thinking of going back and revisiting the Jones years again. I did that oh, about seven years or so ago - I am trying to remember and I can't - it may have been even longer.

That would be good winter viewing. It takes me awhile when I do this, I am currently doing the same with Lovejoy and Only When I Laugh. I am slowly working my way through these series again. I am planning on rewatching Lovejoy until S4, I had done a watch of the later years a few years back. And, I am nearing the end of my re-watch of the early Poirot years. Now, that has been pure joy. Along with Fit for Murder , I watched A Cornished Mystery, last night. Talk about golden, these are gems.

9 months ago

Good winter viewing indeed Brit. ' Fit for Murder ' , what a treat for you . I have 5 eps. of Scot to go before I start the Jones era of MM which I am looking forward to as DS Jones is my fav. Barnaby side kick. Lovejoy was a unique show , and that has to be put down to Ian McShane . For my winter viewing I am going to take in a few ' A Touch of Frost ' as I have all the disks. Seeing David Jason in a role he was meant to play will be a welcome relief from that hideous ' Open All Hours ' he revived in his semi retirement years. Good God , has it been almost a year since we were last in this thread ? Time is a thief .

9 months ago

A Touch of Frost is perfect winter viewing, Soler. When you think of it, A Touch of Frost was the last screen work that was long lasting for David Jason. "Open All Hours" is funding his retirement (as well as a few others)... it has had six seasons, more than anyone ever predicted I'm sure, but without it, these last years may have been leaner. He has been doing voice work and currently is involved in a children's program, but looking at his resume, there is not much else after the season of The Royal Bodyguard ended in 2012.

9 months ago

Soler, I watched a Midsomer episode I never saw before this weekend. It popped-up on my TV, it is an earlier John Barnaby episode... what got my attention, DS Jones had a girlfriend! I never saw him with a companion before - they rarely gave out much information about his personnel life and there he was in the middle of a love scene when I clicked on to it so of course I had to go back and watch it from the beginning. It is S15/E2 - Murder of Innocence.

The best part of the episode is that Jones is given a lot of screen time. I can't say I had a problem with Neil Dudgeon in this one, and that is mostly because Jones had a greater presence than in others I have seen of his era. The story itself was not one I really enjoyed. Try as I will, I can't get to a place where I garner any real enjoyment from the series after John Nettles left. It just is what it is.

I was left with the feeling that Jones' girlfriend does not show up again in future stories - his "give me a call' was not enough for me to think that the relationship had any long-term life. Maybe they should have made it stick because it could have been a balance for John and Sarah's relationship which can get a bit much. She so comes off as Ms. Perfect to me... I miss Joyce and all her hobbies and such - she was a housewife that always seemed in the middle of everything and somehow it came off believable - you got a kick out of her. Not so with the new Mrs. B.

7 months ago

Brit .. didn't realize Jones had a girl friend , surprised by this , because as you said , his private life didn't get much air play . I have all the eps. numbered and Murder of Innocence is # 91 .. he only has 4 more eps. until he leaves the series so I don't think anything came of it. At present , I am weekly viewing at ep. # 48 , so I have a long ways ta go before I get to # 91 . I am in the Tom / Jones era and lovin' it , will be a sort of a let down when I eventually finish Nettles era and start with John and Sarah. The Dullgeon does not fill the shoes for me and I never did warm up to Sarah . What holds my interest was that I found the story line quality remained high but I do miss Tom , Joyce and Cully .

7 months ago

Brit ... what a long accomplished career she had , first with BBC then ITV . Working on Jane Austin's Mansfield Park and Bleak House as a producer as well as many others. Seems her works at BBC were outshined with her ITV years. Bringing the Midsomer Series together was the high light for me. PBS had another Begathon this week - end but got a Downton Special on PVR with the ' Pantry Thief ' talking about the DOWNTON MOVIE. bit dated but I'll watch . lol

3 months ago

What really got me - which I did not know before reading her obituary - was that she selected John Nettles as the lead for the series and had Anthony Horowitz as the writer of the the first episode, Killings at Badger's Drift and go on to write much of the first two seasons along with Douglas Watkinson, another excellent writer. This was brilliant as this combination of talent is what put Midsomer on the map as a legendary series.

That first episode is superb and still among the very best - if not the best of the series. Choosing John Nettles, after his run as Bergerac, was really going out of the box because his Bergerac character was quite the opposite of Barnaby, but she envisioned him in the role and he ran with it.

I saw that special, you will enjoy it, it only gives a hint of the movie though. Did you get a chance to see the movie yet?

3 months ago

Soler, I was looking through the PBS weekend line-up last night (as I usually do) to make sure that I don't miss something that I want to see and I hit upon the beginning of a Midsomer episode... I had nothing planned to watch (and I haven't seen one in ages) so I let it roll on and it was one I never saw before.

Well, it was a great episode, A Dying Art (S18E4). Gwilym Lee was playing DS Nelson, he isn't the liveliest of souls, but I like him (more than I do the present sidekick). What really made this episode such a standout for me was the cast... it was a who's who of British actors - so chock full that I think this one had to be among the best when it came to cast.

First there was Denis Lill (of Mapp & Lucia fame), I mean really, when do I ever get to see him. Never. Then we have David Bamper (looking very Hollywood, I may add) Cherie Lunghi, Saskia Reeves, Adrian Scarborough and Ramon Tikaram. Had this been Hollywood, we would playing in the "big money league" for casting. As this is the UK, that is not the case, as they most likely all got the standard fee for guest stars.

Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

2 months ago

Glad you enjoyed it Brit ...... nothing like a good Midsomer to round off the week end. Gwilym Lee is pretty dry isn't he. Would never have been my pick for a Barnaby side kick. He's the first and only one to never wear a suit and tie. Total casual look . Every ep. I see him in I wonder if he's working or on his day off. It's not a look that lasted as the latest guy is back to suit and tie. One thing that I noted after the total cast change ( DS Ben Jones being the last of the old crew ) was that the writing stayed very good and some of the best scripts came after the change from Tom to John surprisingly enough .

2 months ago

Soler, I keep forgetting to mention it...I follow Jason Hughes on Instagram, he posted today so it is fresh in my mind. He doesn't post often, every now and then, but what a lovely, down to earth man he is. Very family oriented, most posts are about, or include, his children and he is one of the few that answers people and will say hello with none of the "Hollywood" attitude seen here in the States. His latest post was that his new series "The Pact" is airing. He was one of a few actors who has worked during pandemic. I know from what I read in past posts, how grateful he is to have been working during this difficult time when many actors weren't.

In fact, this is his second main role (the other was Marcella) - he also had a smaller role in Three Girls (the mini series based on horrendous true events which received many good reviews) since he left Midsomer. I am so happy to see him working and having a successful career. I don't feel he was treated very well in the end with that production, one of the most successful series going and they couldn't provide him a car and driver to get to work with the commute he had. Boggles my mind.

4 weeks ago

Brit , you do Instagram , I've never signed up for it . Must have a look. I'm doing the Ben Jones / Tom era of Midsomer in my weekly viewing. My favorite. Not happy with the way Jason was treated on Midsomer , besides the long commute no car thing , they had writers who thought it was a good idea to try to create some humour in his later eps., by putting him in situations that made him look buffoonish , I found this infuriating at times. This was never done with any other Barnaby sidekicks. Can't help but think Jason does not look back with warm feelings about his time with Midsomer . Glad he has a new series , ' The Pact ' .

4 weeks ago

Can't help but think Jason does not look back with warm feelings about his time with Midsomer.

I agree with you, I have thought this since after reading what transpired while he was a regular cast member. He is not the type that would ever say anything though, that job got him a regular paycheck when he needed it most, I remember reading an interview with him and he had financials concerns being an actor with no steady gig and a young family to raise. Midsomer came in the nick of time for him. Of that, he will always be appreciative I think. He stated the situation to explain why he left, but he did not, and will not, bad mouth anyone. And, not closing any doors is to his advantage, he did have that guest star role in one of the later episodes where he was largely featured - and got back at John Barnaby a bit too boot!

Soler, you should try Instagram, it is great. It is a visual medium, so there are photos and pictures galore. Whatever interests you may have, for me it is places I love, places I want to travel to, restaurants, food/cooking, home design, gardens, flowers, interesting people - the list goes on. And, once you get on, you find more content that interests you and your world gets a little bigger.

It keeps you abreast of what is out there in the world at your choosing - no one bothers you, contacts you directly etc. - the content comes on to your page (once you have followed a particular account) you look at it and move on or do what you may with it. When I find something that interests me from a post, the source is usually noted and I go to that page and follow it to keep updated on that. I have found some great content this way. If you are no longer interested in someone or thing you just unfollow and done.

3 weeks ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.