¬ NOTICE: After 15 years, ShareTV is closing down but not before we give you your data. Learn more here.

TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » The Borgias
jaaa
The Borgias

Over a decade in the making, The Showtime Original Series The Borgias is the sordid saga of one of the most remarkable and legendary families in history.

Set in 15th century Italy at the height of the Renaissance, The Borgias chronicles the corrupt rise of patriarch Rodrigo Borgia to the papacy, where he proceeds to commit every sin in the book to amass and retain power, influence and enormous wealth for himself and his family. The unbounded audacity of this original crime family went on to inspire Machiavelli's The Prince and Mario Puzo's The Godfather. Don't miss a minute of the lavish, sexy, scandalous drama from the creative mind of Academy Award winner Neil Jordan.

11 years ago
Comments
jaaa

The Borgias will premier April 3, at 9 PM Eastern on Showtime and on CTV in Canada.

11 years ago
romeo53
guru

sounds like my cup of tea

11 years ago
starbuck13
guru

This could be interesting.I will definitely give a try.

11 years ago
barbare11a
guru

Even if it were for Jeremy Irons alone, I would watch this series, but the story itself has always intrigued me... I do look forward to this one!!! Thanks Jaaa for the resume

11 years ago
jmiker
guru

The Story of the Family Borgias should be great for television. It has all the elements that make shows good for me, murder, power hungry tyrants, and raucous sexcapades.

11 years ago
quark
guru

Well it was definitely an extremely good show when it was originally produced and aired in 1981 by the BBC in the UK.

We shall have to see whether this incarnation is as good.

11 years ago
jaaa

Showtime just finished Tudors, so they have a lot of recourses. I just hope they'll put them in good use.
The Borgias were very intriguing family.

11 years ago
laurelarockefeller
regular

If it is anything like the Tudors, it will be a mix of great research with flagrant fantasy. I found the Tudors very bewildering as a member of the Society for Creative Anachronism and someone who occasionally puts on extremely accurate 1630s Irish Tudor area gowns (the difference from English, folks, is the type of chemise worn with the gown--English Tudor has straight sleeves for the chemise and Irish has these huge drapy sleeves in their "leine" chemises.).

For example, in the Tudors, they did that whole episode on the sweating sickness and Anne Boleyn nearly dying from it. I was sure this was where they were taking historical licenses. So I did what most SCAdians do and look it up. I was shocked: that happened! But they mis-quoted a lot of stuff and did a poor job on costuming the entire time.

Case in point: Katherine of Aragon wearing FRENCH HOODS!

Major mistake! As the name suggests, it's a FRENCH STYLE. And which of Henry's wives spent much of her childhood in France because her father was ambassador there? ANNE BOLEYN!

Anne Boleyn introduced them to court in England and they only became fashionable under her influence (and we all know that French clothes are prettier than English!). But not ONE woman from Katherine's reign or loyal to Queen Katherine would be wearing one! Not one! Queen Katherine wore the English GABLE HOOD which looks like a church kind of box. It's big and unwieldy to those not used to it. None of the More women would have worn anything else as a sign of their loyalty to Katherine.

In fact, one way you could tell where a woman stood (Katherine verses Anne), outside of court, was the style of headdress she wore. Wearing the Gable became a sort of protest statement.

So, speaking as one who plays medieval and renaissance as a hobby and has a bachelors in history...I honesty expect mixed results from this series. ROME was awful historically. I could handle about 15 minutes of it before I said "enough".

I like historical accuracy in my historical fiction. Even when it is sexed up on HBO. Many of the things the Tudors did wrong were just lazy. They showed time and time again that they could do the history right when they felt like it!

There is just no reason, for example, not to give these women accurate costumes! For one thing, after reading the interviews, the accurate ones would be kinder to the actors actually than what the actors are actually wearing! And this is speaking from experience wearing them! Actual renaissance corsets do not hurt your body the way I heard Natalie Dormier describe what she had to wear. No way if she had been given something period correct she would have suffered nearly that much!

these are PRACTICAL things.

So...from a historically educated person's pov...I'm not holding my breath. But I will watch anyway!

I'm expecting to be disappointed.

11 years ago
jamie0521
regular

I want to see it right now lol...i like this kinda of tv show

11 years ago
romeo53
guru

just downloaded it so will be interesting to see what it is like

11 years ago
romeo53
guru

yeah not to bad little bit slow to start but will get better i hope

11 years ago
newlinux
guru

slow start is right...

11 years ago
mikizza
pro

great show well written and well acted

11 years ago
newlinux
guru

I quit watching after the 3rd episode... should I pick it back up? Did it get better or change?

11 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.