TV Forum

TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Spartacus: Gods of the Arena
thor
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena is a six episode prequel to Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It will premiere in January 2011.

It will tell the story of Batiatus (John Hannah) who is not yet the head of his family or of the gladiator training school. Gannicus is the lead gladiator in the Ludus, but the House of Batiatus has not earned social respect or the right for its gladiators to fight in championship bouts. Gannicus struggles to turn around the House’s luck.

Check out the link below for a teaser trailer.

http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus/screeningroom/Pages/screeningroom.
aspx#/spartacus-gods-of-the-arena---teaser/

10 years ago
Comments
newlinux
guru

Good to have something to hold us over

10 years ago
shade169
guru

..yea
..spartacus with no spartacus

10 years ago
vyp3r

Actually, because Andy is doing okay now he will apparently be in a couple of the episodes. Don't know how much that will entail though, since he won't be at the ludus in the prequel.

10 years ago
thor

Premiers Friday Jan. 21st, 2011 10/9c on Starz

Check out the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou2TvLK9jzg

10 years ago
thor

Gods of the Arena is a prequel show and therefore has its own show page. Members will have to add Gods of the Arena to their Shows List in order to receive the TV listings for it. Don’t assume you will get the listings because you have Blood and Sand added to your Shows, you will not.

Clicking on the show image above right will redirect you to the show page, where you can add it to your shows.

10 years ago
newlinux
guru

It'll be on in a couple of weeks. Watched the preview show and I'm looking forward to it.

10 years ago
hush320
guru

Why is it called Spartacus while it has no Spartacus and it treated as a separate show?

10 years ago
quark
guru

@Hush320

Where do you get your ideas from?

check out the show page as above and you will see that Spartacus is in the cast list.

10 years ago
angelspirit
expert

So Andy is really getting better! That's great!!!
It's such a good tv show and such a good character, to see someone else play it would be... weird (at least)... to bad he isn't going to be appearing too much on the prequel, but I guess it wouldn't be a prequel if he did, right?

Anyway, I'm kind of afraid it's not gonna be as good as the first one, and people will start loosing interest and the show ends up being canceled... I seriously hope not! But Spartacus kind of IS the tv show and if he doesn't show up as much, it might not work as well...

Glad to be seeing Batiatus some more, the guy is kind of a genious... an evil one, but still a genious... the story should be very interesting!

10 years ago
hush320
guru

@quark

I hear that he was too sick to shoot any more, so they took him from the show.

10 years ago
thor

@Hush

Spartacus will only make a brief appearance in the show. The show focuses on the other characters journeys.

10 years ago
thor

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

10 years ago
romeo53
guru

yeah the same blood guts and sex great

10 years ago
newlinux
guru

Same formula - good result. Me likey.

10 years ago
barmaiden
expert

Well that first episode explained some of the relationship dynamics for me. Good one.

10 years ago
jayp23
guru

I was dismayed to learn about Andy's situation and held out little hope for Gods Of the Arena, but I was pleasanlty surprised at how well it has been developed.

* Spoiler *

I really loved Lucy Lawless' comment about how she would never resort to sleeping with a gladiator or anyone other thanher husband for that matter!

Now to learn that Andy will cameo in the show I am truly delighted, and after only 2 episodes I must say it is as good as the original if not better. I think it shows Andy is sorely missed but the show is storng even withotut him.

I pray he makes a full recovery and that this show continues to be as exciting, sexy and gritty as ever. It's well on it's way to becoming my favourite show!

10 years ago
newlinux
guru

Yes, this show is as good as the original to me.

10 years ago
thor

Wow, this weeks epiosde was excellent. There is a real quality to this show. Pity it is only 6 episodes.

10 years ago
morphieo
expert

Yes it is Beautiful!! I cannot wait for more!! I am hungry

10 years ago
thor

Was trying to come up with words that would describe the episode. I think Visual Feast suffices. Loved the fight between Crixus and Gannicus. This is the show on Telly at the moment. It is so good it may actually out do Spartacus Blood and Sand.

10 years ago
newlinux
guru

@thor - I agree. this may be better than the original, it certainly is at the start. After the first couple of episodes of blood and sand I almost quit the show (glad I didn't). No such thoughts this time - although it is a shorter season so it gets to gettin quicker.

10 years ago
vyp3r

I think the problem with Blood and Sand is that it had to find its niche for a couple of episodes. It was too much of the pretty blood sprays that hit the screen. They toned it down a bit and the story showed through more vividly and so did the visual splendour of the show.

With Gods of the Arena it is a no brainer, they just continue on with what were loved in Blood and Sand. Plus we, as an audience already know what to expect from the show.

I'm sure if this series was first it would have had the same teething problems as Sand for the first couple of episodes.

10 years ago
morphieo
expert

cosign! @vyp3r

10 years ago
halfevil
regular

Amazing series!

10 years ago
newlinux
guru

yep can't wait until next year!

10 years ago
shade169
guru

and there it is: spartacus with no spartacus.
couldn't belive how good it was!

10 years ago
romeo53
guru

great show

10 years ago
thor

I love how they ended. I hope Gannicus makes an appearance in Spartacus: Vengeance.

10 years ago
newlinux
guru

@thor

I am anticipating that as well...

10 years ago
rupick
guru

Good Show
Give us more

10 years ago
romeo53
guru

well let's hope the next is just as good

10 years ago
hoodmk2
guru

This has been a very good series - A feast of visual effects as well as well crafted charcters - played excellently by the actors.
You really felt that Gannicus was not going to have a good ending. I really liked the way they wrapped the story.

Good series which I hope will win some awards

10 years ago
jeysynn
junior

This show kicked so much ass, was intense.

*spoiler*

To anyone who knows anything about the whole history aspect of the Spartacus legend/myth it was obvious that Gannicus was gonna survive the series since he was one of his commanders. Should be awesome seeing Crixus and Gannicus fighting side by side in the new season.

Gods of the Arena was awesome, but it lacked one thing, Whitfield. He made Blood and Sand, and the new season will be weaker without him and Hannah, but still have high hopes for it.
With only 6 episodes this show kicked some major ass, would loved to have seen what it could have done with more time.

10 years ago
thor

@Jeysynn

I disagree. I didn't miss Whitfield at all. I think Gods of the Arena has shown that the show can go on with out Whitfield and still be just as good, if not better.

Who knows, when the show returns to the Spartacus story, Liam Mcintyre may suprise you. The producers have done a good job of casting characters so far. They must see something in McIntyre, just as they seen something in Whitfield.

10 years ago
romeo53
guru

still trying to see that but let's hope

10 years ago
newlinux
guru

I think I'll miss Hannah more.

10 years ago
shade169
guru

the cast was great so far. i am sure that we'll have a good spartacus, maybe even better. yet few old characters will be in the season to come.. and with a new main actor, new surroundings and new story the show may be quite different.

10 years ago
jmiker
guru

Nice prequel, I am glad I was able to see more of Lucy Lawless, I loved her as Zena, and thought after Spartacus, Blood and Sand ended that would be it for her. Doing Gods of the Arena gave us some more history of the Gladiator and what conditions and life was like for them, and also so when they return to the story of Spartacus it should help us forget the actor who plays Spartacus is now a different actor.

10 years ago
bigrich
guru

This goes to prove they can make some awesome shows, but I also agree with Newlinux I also will miss Hannah and Lawless.

10 years ago
thor

@Bigrich

You won't miss Lawless, she's coming back.

10 years ago
lashpb
expert

This show is just amazing, Blood and sand was great and Gods of the Arena made it a stronger show. Too bad the whole thing is just too short. I hope there is a third show and I hopwe that if there was, it will continue to be a great show. The characters and storyline is a 10.

10 years ago
raggamuffin
regular

Gods of the Arena was great, it wrapped up all the loose ends. It didn't drag out and ended just perfect.

10 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.