pax3
regular
The Dresden Files

Is this show as cool as it looks?

14 years ago
Comments
itcdr
Administrator

Haven't seen it yet, but the preview video I found makes it look pretty good. If it's anywhere near as good as heroes, it's probably worth checking out.

http://sharetv.org/shows/the_dresden_files

14 years ago
egoslut
junior

I've just watched the first 6 episodes and I'd give it a good recommendation. It's still in it's backstory building phase, but it seems pretty deep and interesting. However, like most supernatural series, they are really relegating themselves to a "creature of the week" kind of story, but you can see that they are really using it to fill in their world, as Harry Dresden is really only ONE of the key characters. Good production value, pretty good acting (especially on the part of Terence Mann as the sidekick Bob).

However, this is nothing like Heroes and should not be compared to it. I would say, think Angel mixed with a grown up Harry Potter.

14 years ago
catsmother
junior

I think this show is great, we have it on Sky one ATM and we watch it every week without fail. It is very Angel-esque in the way that it's set; the main character of Harry Dresden being a wizard (instead of a vamp) who hires himself out as a detective. I think it's a bit more humorous that Angel was though, not quite as dark and doom and gloom as the last few series of Angel were.
There's quite a few references to things like a "high council" like in Buffy or the fact that a lady vamp who hires Harry asks him to invite her in before she can come in etc. So if you were a fan of Angel or Buffy or even Charmed I think you'll enjoy this.
There's a good comedic relationship between Dresden and his "sidekick" Bob the ghost, who's a bit of a know-it-all! Bob's always telling Harry "I told you so" and Harry gets miffed with him and tells him to "get back in your skull" like a naughty dog! Some interesting story lines so far, with werewolves, demons, vampires etc. It's gone into enough detail so far for you to have the gist of what happened to his family and why he is the way that he is, but not overly excessive with the flashbacks, unless they're needed for the storyline.
On the whole a good show. Long may it continue!
Sue

14 years ago
onewho3es

Downloaded all episodes of this show and its watchable.I would not say its a GREAT show but as nice "paste time thing" its totally usable. If you are in to light comedy meets some sort of magic and bad ass (read PITA) lady friend/cop then this is show for you. One thing that is actually cool is his side kick BOB. He is awesome ...have fun

14 years ago
pax3
regular

Not brilliant at all. After 4 eps I've quited watching it.

13 years ago
imfletch
regular

i watched all the eps and thought it was absolutely worthwhile. wouldn't be heartbroken if they didn't bring back the murphy character. i'd recommend it.

13 years ago
kiefersgirl
expert

got to give this show a couple of episodes to get in too but after that I really enjoyed it. Think it will get better if they make another series but if you havnt watched it all keep with it.

13 years ago
wildearl
regular

Fun show, Paul Blackthorne (a brit) does a wonderful job as the Chicagian Dresden. I was suprised how much I liked this show given I'm not really into Potter or any of the other pop wizard stuff right now. Just a fun blend of supernatural and cop drama.

Good first season, looking forward to next.

13 years ago
kiefersgirl
expert

I agree. Paul Blackthorne does do a superb job in bring Harry Dresden to life. Only ever seen Paul Blackthorne play a baddie in 24, so it was really cool to see him play this character. Roll on Season 2!!

13 years ago
greg78

thought this show was ok

13 years ago
bigrich
guru

this was a great looking show, pity it got canned

13 years ago
catsmother
junior

did it? Aw, nuts!
Where'd you find that out?
oh well, I'll have to buy the books now, Ebay anyone?? LOL

13 years ago
southern
pro

It was announced by the Sci-Fi channel a couple of months ago that it wouldn't be coming back, Catsmother.. There's a big petition over on the Sci-Fi forums about it, but so far no dice. :(

http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showforum=101

13 years ago

Well thats the dogs breakfast, I reallllly liked the show. And I always wanted to say dogs breakfast, lol.

13 years ago
cadetcrouton
junior

i love this show! the first time i knew about it was on itunes where i got the pilot episode for free and i got hooked instantly!

is the show really not coming back??..bummerrr

13 years ago
wildearl
regular

Good luck with the petition, but I have no respect for Sci-Fi channel and their attitude towards viewer comments and interaction. They have an agenda, and once the direction is set thats it.

13 years ago
pg9
regular

They're not as bad as FOX at least. Look at all the good shows FOX killed over the years.

13 years ago
jszing
guru

I Agree PG0. Why in gods name did they ever kill Dark Angel?

13 years ago
odo
guru

like it have not seen all of it hope still on air ! it`s a good show you like it or hate ! guess?

13 years ago
pg9
regular

Or Brimstone or Strange luck?
FOX sucks. :p

13 years ago
jszing
guru

24 has been the bread and butter and for some reason I feel there is just one more year left

13 years ago
pg9
regular

Ehh, with successful series, it's usually the casts call when it quits. When Keifer says no more, that will be it.
Imo, FOX would rather milk it to death, lol.

13 years ago
bigrich
guru

FOX, just right off anything that is not a instant smash hit. I mean Drive has just been canceled, whats that all about. Dark Angel was also another great show.

13 years ago
n8ph8ts
pro

i've just watched the first 4ep,cant say it's a realy good show,was expecting a little bit more from harry,he doesn't do a great deal for a wizard,bob seems to be the main character to me.
but will carry on watching,hope it gets better

13 years ago
thetrekhippy

@Southern, ty for the info on the petition.

@n8ph8ts I think it got better. I liked it.

I also think Dark Angel was a great show and that FOX, as well as most of the other Networks are run by complete idiots who care nothing about what the viewer wants and just want to appease their advertisers.

13 years ago
jszing
guru

According to FOX, if you are not number 1, you are nothing. There were a lot of good shows around at that time like Alias and 24 and they were also brand new. Although Dark Angel got a little crazy in the second season, it was every bit as good as Alias that lasted 6 seasons. Jessica Alba sells a ton of DVD's and theater tickets and a lot of the movies she is in aren't written as well as Dark Angel. The fact that she was number one last year in the top 99 most beautiful women by ASK MEN is testimony of her popularity. Refer to the link below

http://www.askmen.com/specials/2006_top_99/jessica-alba-1.html

13 years ago
n8ph8ts
pro

got up to episode 8 now,it has got a lot better,he's doing more now (like the hockey stick...lol)

havent seen "dark angel" so can't comment sorry.

it's the advertisers who roll in the cash for them,so they come first,never mind joe public.

some shows go on 2 long though,they start loseing the plot. eg.lost liked first 2 seasons but got tired of it in 3rd.maybe thats just me.

13 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.