TV Forum

TV Forum » Information, Guides & FAQ's » Notes for New Members (revised)
quark
guru
Notes for New Members (revised)

These notes are aimed at assisting new members to learn about this site and how to navigate it.
(I apologise to those whose knowledge is greater than those catered to below)

If any item detailed below does not work for you please let me know in my messages
I can then amend this thread as necessary.

Greater detailed instructions may be found in the Information Forum and where appropriate below I have indicated the FAQ or Guide to view.

A. Navigation.

1. The Green Header (which appears on every page)

The 11 major navigation areas are in the boxes immediately below.

Plus you may always return to your Profile page by clicking on 'My Profile'.
You may also logout from here at any time from the adjacent box 'Logout'

Under your Member name a count of any unread messages sent to you is displayed
Click on this and you will be taken to your received messages page (when you enter your messages this count reverts to zero).

2. At the bottom of every page

'Sitemap' takes you to a page of links to various topics and listings about the site and it's Members.

To access a subject just click on the description line.
This is an area worth reading to get to know where a lot of information is housed or easily accessed.

3. Other general Navigation

a. Every Members Avatar/Picture when seen is a link to that Members Profile Page.
b. Most pale (or dark) blue writing is a link to what it describes. (Sometimes this may be Dark Green)
c. Every show image is a link to that shows main profile page.
Frequently found in the forums for threads about a show and in your profile when you have selected a show as a favourite.

4. The Search Box

Type in what you wish to find. some suggestions will be produced as you type.
If you click on a suggestion you will be taken directly there.
Otherwise use enter key or click search button.

If you wish to narrow your search use the topics shown on the resultant page.

TIP Most members find that their 'End' key takes them directly to the bottom of a page and conversely the 'Home' key back to the top of page. Very useful in long pages.

B. Your Profile Page (from top to bottom)

a. 'edit my profile' (Top right)
click on this to access an area where you can type in your alternate name; create an avatar or upload an image held on your computer and type in a description of yourself with your TV likes (and yes dislikes if you wish). When done click 'save changes'
This area can be accessed as often as you wish.
These will all then appear on your Profile Page.

BUT REMEMBER to always enter your password and confirm it otherwise changes will not be saved.

Toward the top right hand side of another members Profile Page is a box containing Two navigation links for you to use.
b.1 Send Message.
Just click on these words and fill in the empty box that will appear.
(Note once sent you cannot alter it so be sure you have got it right before sending!)
b.2. Add to Friends
Click if you wish to add the member as a friend.
Please remember to use 'Send Message' as above to ask them to accept you as a friend. SEE FAQ. How do I Add/Remove a Friend

b.3. On your own profile page this is a larger box.
b.3.a. 'Messages' takes you to your received messages and gives you access to all your message functions. see section on Messages below.
b.3.b. 'My Forum Posts' takes you to a page listing all threads you have posted in. They are arranged by latest posts whether by you or not. Each line (regardless of colour) is a link to that thread. Blue indicates a posting has been made that you have not read. Green indicates no postings have been made since you last viewed the thread.
Thread titles will also be in blue in the Forums as well if you go there using the Forum link in the main navigation box (see Green Bar above) and have not read the latest entry(ies) to any Thread.
b.3.c. My Friend Requests
Click to see those who have added you as a friend that you have neither accepted nor rejected. Click appropriate word to carry out the action. You also on this page can edit your listing of friends. SEE FAQ. How do I Add/Remove a Friend
b.3.d My Contibutions
Click to see a listing of the data submissions you have made to the site with the latest shown first.
As above description is a link to the page concerned.
Note The images on these pages are NOT links you have to use the words.

Messages in detail
1. Bracketed words to left of a received message (in the inbox) under the senders avatar.
a. (reply) sets you up to send a message in reply or even a new one if you wish.
b. (conversation) displays only messages between you and the sender in date order by latest first.
c. (block) takes you to a sub-routine which allows you to prevent that member from ever sending you a message again.
Be Aware you cannot Block the Administrator or any Moderator.

2. To the extreme left of the page are the Major Messages Navigation words (as 'buttons')
This symbol indicates the page you on currently accessing >>

a. 'Inbox' the page where received messages are displayed.
b. 'Sent' the page where messages you have sent are displayed.
c. 'Trash' where deleted messages are stored. NOT in operation yet.
d. 'Blocked' where members who are currently blocked are displayed with an option to unblock if you wish.
e. 'Chats' where a listing of those members most recently in touch with you are displayed. Options as in 1 are available here. (the avatars are also live-links)
f. 'New Msg' Send a new message to any-one. You can chose the recipient from a list of your friends or type in the members user-name.

We are using Private Messaging.
Only you can read the messages sent to you.

Under your personal information you entered via 'edit my profile'
you will see a box with the latest special announcement about a show. These are randomly selected from announcements made by Moderators witih the last month. You cannot alter this box and it will change everytime you access or refresh your profile page.

c. Your Profile Page also has Fourlarge display areas below the announcement box.
1. A Display of Images (or Logos) of your favourite shows.
A Diary of your favourite shows upcoming or recently aired episodes will be generated to the right hand side of these display boxes by having a favourite show selected. see below.
2. A Display of Images of your favourite characters.
3. A Display of Images of your favourite actors/celebrities.
4. A Display of Images (or Logos) of your favourite Movies

These are all positioned to the left of the page.

On the right of your favourite characters you will see
A Display of the avatars/pictures of your friends.

And under this will be displayed a random fun fact about a show.

When the Main Profile Page Display is 'full' for any of these Five Boxes(including friends) clicking on 'view all' will do just that. There is also a number showing the total referring to that box.

To select a Favourite Show go to the Show Page of the Show (using search is simplest) click 'add to my shows' to select as a Favourite Show.
Click on a character image to go to details of that character and click on 'add to my characters' to select as a Favorite character (you can have more than one from a Show if you wish)
An extended cast list may be viewed by clicking 'more cast'

(To see a fully utilised Profile Page click on my Avatar)

d.The Forums

There are Eight Forums open to you each with threads on various subjects or shows. Comments can be added by going to the end of the thread and typing your comment in the box there and clicking add comment. Please read the thread originators comment to know what the thread is about and in case there are defined 'rules' for that thread. BUT see d.2 below for an exception.

d.1. General Discussion
Has threads which are TV or site related but do not fall into any other specific Forum.
d.2 Information, Guides & FAQ's
Has threads which carry information and are not open to discussion. Members are requested NOT to open threads here they will only be transferred out to another Forum or deleted entirely.
d.3 TV Show Chat
Is for the discussion of specific TV shows.
d.4 Movie Chat
Is for the discussion of Movies and Movie based topics.
d.5 Downloads Help.
Any talk about Downloading Shows (be careful often downloading torrents information may be in the Show Forum for a specific show. So do look there first) and other Computer orientated threads.
Note do not post URLs here unless necessary to a request for help from a member.
d.6 Site Requests.
Restricted to threads suggesting improvements to the site and members views about those suggestions.
d.7 Ask a Mod.
A Forum to ask for a Moderators help with a problem that you cannot resolve elsewhere. Moderators do not mind Members helping to answer these problems BUT please do not answer any questions unless you are 100% sure of the answer. Bad answers WILL be removed usually without comment.
d.8 Un-related Chat Forum.
All Fun and Chat threads and those that cannot be in the other 7 Forums as they do not relate to TV, Movies or the site.

TIP use search to find the appropriate thread.
Do not create a new thread if one already exists.

Moderators
Are members who help to keep things running smoothly on site.
If requested you MUST follow their instructions.

Occassionally you will see in blue a site live-link.
These start with http://sharetv.org/ with various endings.
These are posted by members for the convenience of others so they may go directly to a page referred to.

SEE GUIDE. Making a Live Link & FAQ. What is a Live Link ?

Site Rules
Should be read and may be found using this link

http://sharetv.org/forum/guides

Where something is not specified in the Rules
Assume consideration for others should be your first priority.

And remember Moderators would prefer to help you not chastise you.

As you participate in this site so you will 'earn' points.

The more points you have the more site privileges will be made available to you and the higher your ranking will be.
See http://sharetv.org/points

At the top of the page then displayed you will see what points are awarded for.

At the bottom of the page you will see what the points level/ranking needed is for various privileges.

Note only you may see what your points tally is on your profile page.
All other Members cannot see them.
They are private between you and the Administrator.

Some members have experienced problems uploading an image they hold to use as their avatar.

Please SEE GUIDE. Making a Picture your Avatar

Occasionally after clicking 'Add Comment'
loading of your comment may 'stick'.

To rectify make a temporary copy of your entry into working memory, exit the thread and then re-enter the thread. 'Paste' your comment and click 'Add Comment'. This usually results in the comment being loaded immediately.

A 'temporary copy' can be made at least 3 different ways one of which should work for you.

1. Always have the words to be copied highlighted.

2a Press 'Ctrl' and C together.
or
2b Press 'Ctrl' and 'Insert' together
or
2c click 'edit' on your toolbar and then 'copy'.

3. To 'paste' (respectively)
3a.Press 'Ctrl' and V together.
or
3b.Press 'Shift' and 'Insert' together
or
3c.click 'edit' on your toolbar and then 'paste'.

TIP
As we do not have 'editing' of postings available.
Always read and edit your post(if necessary) before clicking 'Add comment'

Some members have had difficulties finding themselves logged out for no apparent reason. Please follow these guidelines to ensure you are logged in for as long as possible

1. Logout to ensure all is closed down within the site.
2. Login but ensure you tick the remember me box.
3. When at Your Profile Page 'bookmark' it.
4. only ever access the site using the bookmark
5. Then you should only have to login every 10-14 days. (that's for security purposes)
6. Note in normal use when leaving the site do not log-out
merely close the window using the redbox.
For some browsers like Firefox just go somewhere else on the net.

There are many hours of pleasure to be found on this site why not explore and familiarise yourself.

Have Fun and Good Viewing to you all.

9 years ago
Comments
This thread has been closed.
See a moderator for details or to re-open the discussion

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.