TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » Why do americans copy uk shows
jbrd
junior
Why do americans copy uk shows

Americans are always copying uk shows gladiators big brother the office the it crowd and loads more why do they?

12 years ago
Comments
uncertaingod
expert

gladiators is an American show and there are far more American ripoffs on British tv than the other way around, difference is that most British adaptations of yank ideas are not giant steaming piles of shit.

12 years ago
jbrd
junior

Gladiators is British thats why we call it gladiators and you call it american gladiators and im not saying american show arent good its just they rip us off often and we dont bother we just air american shows instead of copying them

12 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

No the first American Gladiator started 8 months before the first British one.

And I'm British fuckwit.

12 years ago
nogds9
guru

American's do not copy British shows,the industry buys the copyrights to the shows.The British industry sells them quite willingly and visa-versa.Our culture is much different than the British,hence the great difference in perceived quality.

12 years ago
quark
guru

Also in general another countries version cannot replicate the impact and audience appreciation of the original.

Why you asked, because it is only the really good shows that get 'copied' after purchase of the rights because their success is what is wanted and they, of course, are the ones in which it is easier to fall short of the original high standard.

Besides if it were not for communication increases such as the internet and satellite TV the general public would probably not even know about the 'copying'.eg 'Til Death us do part' have you seen the American version (without downloading it)?
It is only the said increase in communications that allows us to know which shows are involved and to be able to view them.

Take 'copying' as a compliment not an insult.

12 years ago
jbrd
junior

i wasnt slating the americans i was asking the question and i did know that the companys willing sell their shows

12 years ago
nogds9
guru

@jbrd,
It's OK,we don't all know everything.This is not a dressing down,just what i hope to be an interesting conversation.
I will admit,I love British shows and have no qualms about the British trying to improve American shows.That's what it is all about,yes?Aren't we all tired of the rehashing and wish to see more creativity from the media giants? Nowadays they spend more money trying to prosecute copyright infringement than they do on decent writers.I haven't seen a show in the last season that gives me any satisfaction.Am looking forward to the return of the Tudors more than anything.I don't think the American media can do better than that,OMG I just remembered True Blood,that's the only American show that gave me the tingles.lol
sorry for going off topic.
I note that there are really not many shows that end up qualifying for this topic,maybe you could refresh this old brain of mine.

12 years ago

absolutely fabulous, i heard although i haven't seen it that the UK one was far superior, but then the character of patsy was written specifically for Joanna Lumley, and of course Jennifer saunders co-wrote her own part, so the script probably played to their strengths.
My daughter was given a set of the scripts for her birthday and they aren't funny when you read them unless you can picture edina and patsy when they actually said the lines

12 years ago
nogds9
guru

Haven't seen or heard of an American version yet.I absolutely love Absolutely Fabulous.I don't think it would work here,we are to tight-assed about the subjects of drugs and sex and such.One show that has worked,but it's an Australian decent is Kath and Kim,though it has been dumbed down abit.Believe me people like them walk among us.lol

12 years ago

maybe it's just been talked about then lol

12 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

It's being written as we speak for show at end of year, although this is the 4th attempt to make a yank version so whether it actually sees the light of day is anyone's guess.

12 years ago
alliecatcool
junior

usaly when a person copies another person they think it is a good idea so maybe americans think it is a good idea and think that americans would love to watch it so there it is!

12 years ago
ceuma
regular

We dont copy them we make them better!

12 years ago

well you make them with a bigger budget anyway lol, but i think the uk is still the best when it comes to period dramas.

12 years ago
romeo53
guru

i think everbody copies everybody in one way or another where are some orignal idea's for new shows

12 years ago
morphieo
expert

I only like Originality

12 years ago
nogds9
guru

You got us there windsorboyd,Rome,The Tudors,I Cladius,all among my favorite all time shows,plus a few that I can't remember right now.
We really excel though when it come to Sci-fi's,crime dramas,and game shows.

12 years ago
morphieo
expert

Yeh I agree with you too @windsorboyd and also not trying to offend anyone here I am not from the Uk or Usa but to be honest from my point of view and of the few people I have talked with about this, is that UK Actors and Actresses are far way better actors than American actors. I am not trying to divide anyone here or anything but as you can see today more and more Uk actors are in American tv shows and movies.. American Actors and Actresses are great I love them all but UK Actors, they always put you through their faze :)

12 years ago
crawen
guru

Most the shows that get copied back and forth are mediocre shows that aren't even worth finishing in my opinion.
Anything to milk the most out of an idea that isn't really anything special to begin with.
I don't believe acting skills have anything to do with nationality
but that's just me.
Charisma on the other hand...debatable...
...my favorite shows are mostly American.

12 years ago

they copy UK shows not understanding the nuances of Brits and the way they look at things there humour very dry yes, fellow Brits will understand I can think of only one that worked well The Office and one that worked not half bad eleventh hour even when they tried doctor who back in what 89 it was panned yet all the previous series were loved, the brit show seem to more understated

12 years ago

i think it's thw understated bit that the US doesn't do as well as the UK, being smaller the UK gets away with being more low key (if that makes any sense)

12 years ago

yep in a way windsor but they seem to have knack of mixing grit with british humour which is a lit different that the yanks

12 years ago
jekrikaleh
regular

ah. here i sense a bit of international television animosity. does it truly make the difference who developed the show and if the idea was copied? if a show is lovely, watch it. if a show is lacking, do not watch it. petty rivalries should have no place because we all live in one world. all such discussions do are offend those with sensitive egos.

...and, of course, after saying these things i must apologize to those whose sensitive egos i have just offended...

12 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.