TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » Thin edge of the wedge.
quark
guru
Thin edge of the wedge.

As the majority of active members will be aware there are multiple problems uploading and downloading with respect to Torrentguy.org
Whilst admin. does appear to be trying to resolve the various issues that arise there is a jaundiced view that might be taken:-
The problems are forcing many members to find other sites to either upload to or download from. So are these the first steps towards making this literally a Torrent free site with no links to torrents at all?

13 years ago
Comments
kolbinfo
guru

I think the recent downloading / tracker problems associated with eztv have coincided with the move to TorrentGuy and have nothing to do with it (this site was always using eztv as its torrent distributor). The broken links for user content is a problem, yes, but until Jay started uploading like crazy (which everyone was grateful for), I don't think there was much user contribution to the site...

This site never included a torrent uploading FAQ, basic rules, and naming conventions (which are an important part of any site trying to attract uploaders). So, I don't see that the site was ever intending to be a predominantly torrent site...

Perhaps, you could take a poll of how many members were actually uploading before (with how many torrents) to see if there was really any shift in content (with the exception of Jay)? I still remember the complaints about people not seeding user contributions and complaints over slow upload speeds from members' computers for those trying to download...

13 years ago
quark
guru

see my comments elsewhere re members being let down because mine and thetrekhippy's torrents were broken off!!! sharetv members who will be uploading to torrentguy in site requests. My last comment there gives details.

13 years ago
thetrekhippy

Just to keep everyone informed, I have not stopped seeding the torrents I had already uploaded. I did not upload them all from eztv, and I liked doing things that way. I don't mind having torrentguy instead for the torrents and keeping sharetv as a forum, but I would like to be able to upload soon, as really that's my main reason for being part of this. That and the simple fact I was not feeling that I fit into the eztv group. If it turns out we will just be linking to torrents from eztv, I probably won't leave the sharetv site, but I love uploading to my friends here. That's my opinion, anyway.

13 years ago
ddewson
regular

I was starting to enjoy hunting and uploading or sharing my own files, but since the cut off it seems I was the only one uploading certain shows :(

13 years ago
joker
guru

Don't know if it is just me or not but could not get to ShareTV site or TorrentGuy from around 5:30am until about 2pm today. Was able to goto anyother site I wanted.

Anyone else have this problem?

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

yes, our server crashed last night and fixed it about an hour ago. we were down for about 10 hours :(

just a bit of growing pains as the site is growing so fast. we may need to upgrade our server again soon

also, sharetv is intented to be a tv community instead of a torrent site. torrentguy will handle on the torrent stuff, which I know I need to work more on. but as you can see we are running into some other issues

13 years ago

i just hope it never turns into TV.com

i remember tv.com was awesome as h3ll but than the creator sold it to cnet and it became over run with ads and way slow to navigate

13 years ago
toh
expert

lol. i am scared to go to tv.com, it is slow as turtle, may be slower :)

13 years ago

http://epguides.com/
is similar to what TV.com used to be like
in fact it may be by the same guy once he realized how cnet destroyed his creation XD

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

yes, I never want to turn into tv.com. the site is a mess.

in order to raise more money for equipment/bandwidth I plan to add more ads to the site, but never more than 2 per page like the show pages (ie: http://sharetv.org/shows/prison_break - has 2 ads). that way the site still stays clean.

then I was thinking I could set it up so if any user donates $5 or more then no more ads will ever be shown when they're logged in.

what do you think?

13 years ago

sounds like a good idea

13 years ago
quark
guru

Admin would you like to become an Honorary Feringee?

As you must have read the 8th Rule of Acquisition

'Only a fool passes up a business opportunity'

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

thanks for the feedback. @quark, I like your quote!

I'll start work on it. then once we're able to upgrade our equipment we can go back to continue building up the site. I think we're on track to becoming the biggest tv community on the web

my goal is to get big enough so we can influence the networks. like what happened with Jericho, enough fans got together and changed the minds of CBS to return the show

13 years ago
quark
guru

Forget my moaning about uploads Admin. I love that idea
shareTV.org a Pressure Group Fantastic!

I'm sticking with you I want to see it happen!

Hey other members if you agree make a post and show your support!

13 years ago
quark
guru

Oh another thought for the membership paraphasing
the 89th Rule of Acquistion and JFK

'Ask not what your site can do for you
ask what you can do for your site'

This will then achieve better TV for us all.

13 years ago
rejexx200
expert

I'm defenitely up for that, it would be great to be able to make a difference.
So count me in.

13 years ago
onlyme1
guru

Acorns grow into Oak Trees and Chris you planted the Acorn. ShareTV will influence the networks we must all stick together. The 4400 did it. And you don't need no Heroes.

13 years ago
markedatbirth
junior

mee tooo!!

13 years ago
bhoddigrrl
expert

always your biggest fan!

13 years ago

where do you want the money sent

13 years ago
luacheia
expert

Long life to ShareTV!

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

nice! looks like your all on my side for the future of the site

I created a new thread for this topic to clear up confusing for all the other members

http://sharetv.org/forum/requests/Q_103841

13 years ago
gold
expert

ShareTV Rulz . i too love the idea of making shareTV a pressure group . Thats gotta be fun.

13 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.