TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » DivX capable DVD players
aussienickuss
regular
DivX capable DVD players

Flicking through the mass of catalogues that come in the weekend papers today, I couldn't help but notice the insanely cheap prices for DVD players these days ($20-30!), with all claiming DivX compatibility.

What are peoples experiences with DivX playback on your DVD players. Is the quality decent (as far as the quality of a downloaded show go)? Do they work well with downloaded TV shows?

I'm interested, because I have a 4 or 5 year old DVD player (that I paid hundreds of $$ for!), but I'm sick of burning downloaded shows to disc because it is so time consuming and you don't fit a huge amount onto a 4.7GB disc. With DVD players so cheap now, is it worth picking one up? I like the idea of being able to burn a whole season of shows onto one disc, and not shackle myself to my computer.

Cheers. =)

13 years ago
Comments
n8ph8ts
pro

i just wrote you a reply on other thread giveing you getails about this subject

13 years ago
n8ph8ts
pro

i,ve had one for 18mnths,wouldnt change back.

13 years ago
aussienickuss
regular

Cheers mate.

13 years ago
illestdomer2005
regular

I have the Oppo 1080p upconverting DVD player that also plays DivX. It works pretty darn well except that if you pause the video for long enough that the player goes into screen saver mode, you usually have out of sync video and audio until it fixes itself. Usually this means you hear the audio fine the entire time, but the video is 3x speed and then 1/3x speed...or something. In other words, it's not flawless but pretty darn convenient!

My player was just a tad over $200, but my buddy has a $30 Magnavox that works great for DivX...of course my DVDs look much better ;)

13 years ago
joker
guru

I love my RCA odel DIVX player and have experianced no problems. Of course everything I burn is in MPG-2 mode as Data Discs. They play perfectly with no sync problems. Got it at Walmart for $39.98.

13 years ago
joker
guru

odel = model sorry for the typo.

13 years ago
illestdomer2005
regular

Ah, I always burn the .avi files...I burn one set that I keep for regular use, and the other is for my "archive"... I don't care to convert it to MPEG-2, guess I'm just lazy :)

13 years ago
onlyme1
guru

13 years ago
aussienickuss
regular

n8ph8ts said on my profile that the H&B DX-3255 DVD/DivX player is a good model. I googled it and the first page I landed on had clear instructions how to make the thing region coding free which is a bonus.

I haven't seen them anywhere in Aus though, but there are tons of $30-50 generic brand players out there.

13 years ago
joker
guru

Do not know if this is correct.
It would seem to me that anything that has been ripped to AVI or MPG would be region free and same with the downloads.

I do nothing to any downloads that originate from overseas except convert them to MPG-2 and they all play fine for me here in the USA.

So all you have to do is burn them as data CD/DVDs and they should play anyplace opn DIVX/dvd players.

13 years ago
naplam
guru

In Australia I find stratfields always have divx dvd players. That is where I bought mine

13 years ago
sdkc
junior

I'm in AUS and I bought mine from Aldi. Yes Aldi. Works fine. Picture quality good. No need to convert to MPEG-2 although I might give that a go.

13 years ago
aussienickuss
regular

Aldi....LOL. They call 'emselves a supermarket?

13 years ago
onlyme1
guru

The though of watching a whole season on one DVD is great. Fed up converting 4 or 5 episodes on one DVD to watch wish i could buy a DivX player in the UK.

13 years ago
joker
guru

A friend of mine from another site is from the UK and he has one. In fact he is the one who first told me about them. They must be available some place in the UK.

13 years ago
n8ph8ts
pro

im in the uk onlyme...i got mine here from the internet.
google divx player, there are plenty to choose from.

if you look above in aussienockuss reply you will see the one i am useing...

13 years ago
n8ph8ts
pro

13 years ago
onlyme1
guru

Thank's n8ph8ts and joker sorry been a long time had to go out. Will google and look around they must be about. Thank's again

13 years ago
dvdmad
junior

liteon dda-110 player/resorder
yamhah dvd s559 player
philips dvdr h5440h recorder/player/80gig hd
all above are great for divx
hope tiis helps

13 years ago
naplam
guru

can always get a media gate, so you just plug your hdd drive straight into your tv, it has its own remote and you will never have to burn a disc again.

13 years ago

I have a modded XBOX with XBOX Media Center, it's awesome it plays almost anything video music games

13 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.