TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » American Tv
eleocleo
pro
American Tv

Hi,

I have a question about how the American TV works. (I'm French ;))

Why some show are interrupted in the middle of a season like GREEK or Kyle XY. To see the rest of the season I have to wait until april...
That's strange. in france, for instance, you have all the season and it is not interrupted in the middle of a season for such a long time. Is it because they didn't film the next episodes yet, or it is a marketing move from the channel ....?

May someone explain to me? Thanks ;)

13 years ago
Comments
eleocleo
pro

I've just seen that maybe it is not in the good forum... If a moderator can put this in the general discussion it would be great. Thanks

13 years ago
joker
guru

For what ever reason the AMERICAN TV producers often show the full season in foreign markets first and split it in America. This most likley is a Marketing ploy.

13 years ago
eleocleo
pro

Thanks for your answer ;)

13 years ago
mrmungo
regular

Show full seasons in foreign markets first??? Hmmm, must have missed that one!
IMO, it's just a time issue.
There's usually what 4 months or so between series? That is nowhere enough time to give the actors/crew a break (usually!), get another series written, recorded all the episodes, edited, special effects added etc.
So they sometimes may require a week or 2 to catch up on filming episodes.
That's how I always thought it worked anyway, but probably wrong!

13 years ago
eleocleo
pro

I didn't say that they show the entire season first! They show the entire season but months after they've shown it in the USA (sorry I wasn't clear enough)

And waht i don't understanf is why they wait until april to show the end of the season of some show that was on air like GREEK or Kyle XY. Or even last year with jericho and heroes... It is always during this period (Fall) that they stop the series and show the end of the season much later.

I hope this time I'm clear enough :D

13 years ago
mrmungo
regular

Err, can I phone a friend? :P
I haven't a clue about Kyle XY/Greek. Bit weird, if you ask me. That's a hefty old break! Perhaps they're giving everyone a nice long holiday? I wish my boss was that kind!
But I did note that both shows (Kyle XY and Greek) are aired by ABC Family, so may be a network issue.
Perhaps they just enjoy inflicting pain on us all?
Americans, eh? ;)

I always thought Heroes was pretty consistent last year, and Jericho was cancelled, although was un-cancelled (it's a word!) by CBS later.

13 years ago
metalica77
junior

I can't answer you that question either. I live in America and it annoys me also just as much as you. I don't think it's anything very specific but i believe the producers want to build suspense or something of that nature. But I agree with you eleocleo it's dumb idea.

13 years ago
quark
guru

Perhaps it's so they can evaluate its impact and then if they cancel hope most people will have forgotten it and gone on to pastures new and not moan about the lack of an ending!.(I jest of course)

13 years ago
ttremeth

bizarre with kyle xy as it was getting to the end of the season, why waits months when people are glued to their sets?

13 years ago
thetrekhippy

I can't figure it out either. American TV producers are just stupid and the people who pick the shows that go on are stupid too. I mean, give me a break, Painkiller Jane is an ok show, but it's no Dark Angel right? I can see giving the actors a break, but truth be told from what I've read companies like Paramount are all about the bottom line dolla dollar and the actors of shows like Stargate work their butts off for 60-80 hour weeks on end getting the first half of the season out. I miss these shows when they go on break but I do think the actors deserve time off too.

Sorry, I went on a bit of a rant their, hope it was entertaining.

13 years ago
mrmungo
regular

Entertaining rant, Thetrekhippy, keep 'em coming! ;)
You are right though, considering how long it takes them to make a movie, and how long it takes TV peeps to make a whole series of a show, they must work pretty damn hard!

As for Kyle XY, I'm still baffled, but did see that Kyle (okay, I know it's not his real name, but he'll always be Kyle to me!) has a new movie out so maybe that has a bit to do with it?
Don't think we have to wait as long as it says on the Kyle XY page. Not read anything elsewhere about having to wait to April, but seen January mentioned a few times...

Hope we won't have to wait til April. I'll have forgotten what happened and will have to re-download all the shows again!!!

13 years ago
eleocleo
pro

Hi thanks for your answers... I had an answer from another member on the page of GREEK:

sharetv member
toh
3 days ago
eleocleo, IMHO:
Greek is summer show (its like 2nd class show) and now is autumn, is it time for 1st class shows like Smallvile, Prison break, house, heroes, etc

So at the end I think the reason is between what you said thetrekhippy and what toh said.

I advice you anyway mrmungo to keep your shows! buy an external HDD ;)

13 years ago
thetrekhippy

I archive everything for Posterity. Also when we live in a Dark Angel type world I'll not only have the vid's but the knowledge to figure out how to play them again!

13 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.