TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » do i have to seed permanantly?
beninlondon
do i have to seed permanantly?

if i up load a new show am i the only one that seeds it? will kill my laptop if the whole world is dowloading just from me, how does it work, how do i even get stuff on the site from a dvd or somethng downloaded from another site?

13 years ago
Comments
nogds9
guru

It won't kill your laptop. You are limited by your ul speed. As soon as there is one full copy uled there will be more seeders. Converting dvd to avi is another thing entirely. For that you will need to find a program for converting. I believe there is info on this site on how to upload what you desire.

13 years ago
kolbinfo
guru

I have a suggestion (just my 2 cents here), I ask that users of this site consider carefully before the copy torrents from larger sites (Demoniod, IsoHunt, MiniNova) and upload them here. I'm not talking about NEW torrents, if you are the first to upload, by all means, upload here and elsewhere so you have access to many downloaders / seeders to keep it active. But, if you're passing around torrents from larger sites (which you are seeding only at this site), please consider that you may not be doing users a favor if they can obtain this content elsewhere, and at faster speeds because there are more downloaders / seeders there... When I have an interest in a show that isn't being uploaded here, I just include where users can get it on other sites.

13 years ago
jszing
guru

Good point Kolbinfo but personally I think that unless someone is prepared to keep the file on their computer indefinitely and keep seeding, it is a better bet to upload an active torrent from another larger site for a number of reasons.
First, the chances of someone uploading a hot new torrent is kinda slim. I've waited at large sites for an episode to appear soon after it is aired; downloaded it immediately, only to find someone has already put it up here. It wasn't the speed of my computer because it is almost lightning fast. Someone had a faster connection.

13 years ago
jszing
guru

Secondly: Unless you have a huge hard drive and are willing to keep the torrent you create on it indefinitely, the show you uploaded will simply die and so will the torrent. Eventually we will end up replacing it anyway if it is a popular show. At least with a torrent from one of the biggies, others will be seeding it. We will be there soon but not yet.
If you create a torrent, and want to upload here, you might consider uploading it to Mininova, Demonoid or Isohunt also to get the seeders. That is my 2 cents also and just my preferences.

13 years ago
jszing
guru

So Beninlondon, whatever you decide is only your decision. If you need instructions are how to do anything we chatted about or anything else; in out DOWNLOADS section of the Forum, we have a "How Do I" section there.

13 years ago
kolbinfo
guru

Okay, we are going to have to disagree here about file "sharing." I don't actually think that torrents should go on indefinitely, creating a file "archive." I use torrents to see shows that are on networks that I don't have access to. If I want a collection, I'll buy the DVDs. I see torrents as more of a temporary lending library. But as you say [jszing], it's up to individuals as to how long they want to seed, as long as they understand the process.

13 years ago
thetrekhippy

I uploaded a Sevendust DVD to demonoid once, Seeded it for two weeks, got all hit and run leechers. I decided to quit seeding. I watched the torrent stats over the next week. Still all leechers. No one left comments so I couldn't pm them to say hey seed. I ended up deleting the torrent. No one seemed to care.

I've uploaded Star Trek TNG here, I'll seed until others seed, unless it goes the same way as the above torrent.

It's just a matter of seeding until someone else starts. If no one does, then it's up to you to decide when to stop.

13 years ago
jszing
guru

Yes but the problem here is that we are still relatively small and I'm certainly not speaking for Admin, but in my opinion the sight can not afford to have too many dead torrents. I myself made mistakes in the beginning by creating new torrents and now I am stuck with about 500 gigs of files that are basically useless to me. As far as the hit and run goes, it is not as important to have a lot of seeders as it is to have a lot of leechers as long as there are a few 100% seeders to bring the files to conclusion. Leechers are very big in the file sharing process and if you look at a tracker while it is working, you may see you are receiving files from someone with 3% completed while you have 95% completed. The leechers for as long as they stay are sending files. The trick is to get a lot of them.
Another point is if you look at a download and it is fully green, it is always a file from Demonoid, or one of the biggies. The person that originally uploaded the file to us is most likely not even on line.

13 years ago
joker
guru

Ijust checked Isohunt for the BIRDS OF PREY torrents I just uplded here. They show up and people are dling them.So making an uninformed guess in about 30 days or when there are 5 peers with full uplds I should be able to delete my torrents to make room for more as there would then be other full seeders out there.

13 years ago
mustaphaleak

It seems to me that most of our membership is quite capable of finding these well seeded torrents in other torrent search areas.
The shows that are more difficult, usually older and no longer aired, are requested here in the hope that some-one has an archive.
Certainly if I have the series available I will upload for the benefit of other members.
To me that is part of the function of a site such as this is.
BUT yes if you do download in these circumstances and there are others with lower %'s PLEASE seed and all will be happy.

13 years ago
kolbinfo
guru

@mustaphaleak
I think you are over estimating the experience level of quite a number of people who visit and register at this website... As this is not strictly a torrent site (like IsoHunt, Mininova, Demonoid, etc..) there are those coming to this site with no working knowledge of P2P and torrents - they are visiting a "TV" site...

So, if this is their first involvement with torrents they are likely unaware of the large public and private sites that, others may take for granted, are well known to "most."

Also, they are unaware of the basics, like continued seeding is necessary... But, they are anxious to get involved, so they start uploading without really understanding the process...

Finally, I've seen a number of posts from people asking, "where are the torrents I uploaded?" Not only are torrents being left in the "other" section, they are appearing on pages for the wrong shows (good luck finding those after a week)...

Responses that address where to find shows on other torrent sites and how long to seed are for the newbies, anyone with experience would NOT ask such questions...

13 years ago
joker
guru

couldn't agree more it was just a thought.

13 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.