TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » Peer Guardian Question
imfletch
regular
Peer Guardian Question

I've installed peer guardian and when I download, I see it flashing and click on it. It says it's blocking the "Chaos Computer Club" among others.

Who are these people it's blocking, and why does PG only flash when I'm downloading and not when I'm just surfing or doing other things online?

13 years ago
Comments
kolbinfo
guru

Denis.Stalker.h3q.com is a prolific open tracker that is identified by Peer Guardian by its Chaos Computer Club membership. Do your Google homework and determine for yourself how you feel about it.

If your Peer Guard is set to block http (as it is recommended), you will also see the icon flash when you visit a website with video clips that automatically play, etc...

13 years ago
kolbinfo
guru

If you would like to learn more about the denis.stalker tracker response to Peer Guardian's label, you can view blog post from them here:

http://opentracker.blog.h3q.com/?m=200707

13 years ago
nogds9
guru

I'm going to start useing uTorrent as my client.Do I need peer guardian. And if you know what does the patch do?

13 years ago
kolbinfo
guru

@azoth
I DEFINITELY recommend Peer Guardian to protect you from hackers as well as those attempting to track your P2P activity (Internet Service Providers, etc...) while you are downloading / uploading. Unfortunately, I don't know which "patch" you are refering to in your post. If it is the patch mentioned on this website to increase the Windows XP inbound connection limit (set at 10), then I would say, make the changes if you feel you need to. The research I've done on this subject indicates that Microsoft introduced those limits to slow the spread of viruses, but articles written on the subject don't seem to agree with that "logic."

13 years ago
nogds9
guru

@kolbinfo,I don't use windows firewall.I use zonealarm.If it's for windows I probably don't need it. Thank you,your a gem.

13 years ago
illestdomer2005
regular

Dling wide open without Peer Guardian is dangerous... I don't block HTTP, but everything else stays on all the time.

13 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.