TV Forum

TV Forum » General Discussion » Fav Character Issues
gregf
guru
Fav Character Issues

Even though there are pictures for all the characters, not all show up in some shows. Scrubs is an example. If you click edit this page, there are more characters with pictures listed there than show up on the info page. This a known bug or what is going on? Thanks.

13 years ago
Comments
wildearl
regular

I believe itcdr posted about this a while ago, there is presently a limit of 5 chars on the show page (that are visable.) I thought that he said 15 will be viable eventually. Might be in the todo already but I haven't looked yet.

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

yes, I'm not sure yet what to do about that. we have a database containing every character for most of our shows.

I was thinking of setting it up so on the show pages you can click 'next page' and to view up to 15 characters (according to number of episodes played in). then those 15 are sorted by how many users add them to their favorites.

or just show the top 5 and then you can go to a page containing all characters (could be hundreds). suggestions?

13 years ago
gregf
guru

Maybe a "more" button that would do a ajax request and drop the remaining characters down rather than loading another page full.

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

so it will list the top 5 characters on the show page, then if you click 'more' it shows the next 10.

but then do we limit to the top 15 characters?

take a long-running show like '24'. it has over 70 characters that have played in at least 10 episodes.

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

this page shows the top 15 characters in 24 (sorted by number of episodes played in)

http://sharetv.org/shows/24/cast

I was thinking we have this for each show and then you can vote on your favorite character or go to the actors profile on imdb.com. then the top 5 are shown in the shwo page based on the votes

would it be better to try and do it all on the show page or should we try to expand this page with more characters or is there another idea?

13 years ago
gregf
guru

Did not realize some of the shows have that many characters.Yeah have the top characters on the show page and then just linking to a page like you showed me for 24 would be fine with me. With 70 characters theres no great way to display it I don't think so just a basic list like you posted below with names and a picture would work fine. Next/Prev buttons if needed from there.

13 years ago
itcdr
Administrator

ok. now every show has a link to view more characters.

I'll set it up so on this page (ie: http://sharetv.org/shows/24/cast) you can report bad images, add characters to your profile and get more info on the actor at imdb

13 years ago
jakewastaken
regular

Sweet, sounds like some good progress is being made, keep up the good work.

13 years ago
gregf
guru

Looks good.

13 years ago
ericbm
pro

How were you going to report bad images again? What about Title images?

13 years ago

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.