TV Forum

TV Forum » Un-Related Chat Room » Help with a PC problem, for more tv space
thetrekhippy
Help with a PC problem, for more tv space

I have just installed a new Maxtor One Touch III 300 GB External USB Drive. Normally, I have no trouble with this, however, this one does not want to show up in My Computer or Device Manager or even Disk Management. I need the space to get more TV shows. Can anyone tell me if XP SP2 has a limit on how many USB Xternals one can hook up together? Or how else I might fix this problem? Thanks so much!

13 years ago
Comments
odo
guru

unplug it restart put plug in wall( comp on) plug in usb xp should see it.the 1st time plugged in the usb,then the plug(power) did a restart xp saw it as too USB i got two a mouse, ipod and fan i have no limit ?

13 years ago
blkhole
expert

Make sure you are hooking it up to USB 2 and not the older USB 1. Some newer usb devices will NOT run on the older usb.

13 years ago

simple question you have to ask first does your mother board support it if you have 2 disconnect 1 and see if it the new one is recongized if not it may well be the drive but again i dont know what motherboard you are using and some have limitations on how big a hard drive it will see
you would have to go the web site of what ever board it is to check that out and perhaps flash with bios update

cheers hippy

13 years ago
quark
guru

Nagila thetrekhippy

I currently run 4 usb2 ExHD.

Only problem I've had is when the USB lead was not properly seated in the back of one of them.
The computer recognized it was there but would not display in 'my computer' said it was not working.

13 years ago
extralien
regular

Do you have to format external HD's like you would ormally or are they just plug and play?

13 years ago
uncertaingod
expert

Unlpug your other external devices and plug in the new drive, if it's detected then it's a conflict or an issue with your usb chipset. If it's still not detected it's buggered, take it back and get a drive from a decent company.

13 years ago

@etal Nagila As I said above you have to see what the motherboard supports It should see if it if it is less than 3years old as Quark said check the connection if that doesnt work get bios update

cheers

13 years ago
quark
guru

@extralien

Most modern ExHD are plug in and use as most modern computers automatically deal with recognition and so on.

One piece of advice though check with your ExHD supplier whether you need to use 'safely remove hardware' before switching off or disconnecting.

13 years ago
nogds9
guru

@trekhippy,You may need to update drivers.Go to help and support,they can help you step by step.Another thing is your new device may need a firmware update,go to website for your device.I had to do this with a USB mass storage device that I purchased.All the other ideas are good to. I use help and support to trouble shoot my problem and have been able to solve them all.

13 years ago
thetrekhippy

Nagila All

uncertaingod was correct. After trying everything, and only having just the new XHD plugged into the back USB port on the tower, still would not show up. Sent it back, got another My Book, since that worked last time. Unfortunately, like the first XHD we got, the new My Book has the ports far enough off from the holes in the case so as to make it impossible to plug in!

Oh well, Now I know to look at them before I leave the store eh!

Thanks everyone!

AHFA AHGB&W

13 years ago
extralien
regular

Thx Quark.

I build my own pc's, but don't know much about exteranl HD's. Internally fitted HD's usually need formatting before you can use them for any storage. You only need one internal HD to have windows or what you like installed. Two 300 gb drives is quite nice until they fill up.

I am aware of usb expansion units. A box with 4 or more usb ports plugs into one USB on your system. How that would effect external HD's I'm not sure.

13 years ago
nogds9
guru

@extralien,
USB has become the most popular way to interface external devises.It has a high speed transfer rate,somewhere around 400MBs.Most external storage devises today are plug and play,with WindowXP you plug it in the wizard asks how you want to use it and setup is done.The firmware is built in.If used as an Hard drive it will have to be configured as such.

13 years ago
larrydime
junior

What I do is run bare wires directly from my motherboard out my pc so whenever i want to connect something i just solder it on then cut the wires when i dont need it

7 weeks ago
This thread has been closed.
See a moderator for details or to re-open the discussion

You are successfully logged out.
login
[close]

ShareTV Login

Username
Password
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Create Account

Username
Password
Verify Password
EMAIL

Verification code (check your email for the verification code)

Verification code has been sent to the following email address:
If you didn't receive the verification code:

1. Check your bulk/spam folder.

2. Try to whitelist our email address (noreply@sharetv.org)

3. Resend verification email

If you mistyped your email address change it here
Create a free ShareTV account to make a personalized schedule of your favorite TV shows, keep track of what you've watched, earn points and more.
Verify your username and email to complete your Registration
Enter the text in the image shown if you are human.
WARNING: after 2 more failed attempts you will be locked out
[close]

Forgot Your Password?

EMAIL
Enter the email address you used to create the account and your password will be emailed to you.