7x01 Natural Selection
First Aired: Mar. 19, 2017 on ITV
Summary: DCI Vera Stanhope is drawn into a suspicious death on Ternstone, a remote and inaccessible island off the coast of Northumberland, home only to numerous species of birds and the rangers who observe them. The last thing anyone expected to see was a body, cruelly washed up on the shore.
- The episode was mainly filmed in the village of Craster in Northumberland. However Beadnell (just north of Craster) also features.
- There is no Ternstone island in Northumberland.
- Some of the scenes on the island and in the visitors centre were filmed at Souter Lighthouse near Sunderland.
- The naming of the island is quite interesting. There is a bird called a "Turnstone" which is a wading bird, yet the island here is spelt as Ternstone, a tern being a gull like bird.
- The island in the filming is on and around the islands of Inner Farne (where national trust assistant rangers live part time) and Brownsman.