6x05 Sideshow Bob Roberts
First Aired: Oct. 09, 1994 on FOX
Summary: After getting released from prison yet again, Sideshow Bob attempts to land the only job suited for a two-time felon: Mayor of Springfield. Backed by a cabal of Republicans led by Mr. Burns and the corpulent talk radio blow-hard Birch Barlow, Bob takes on Mayor Quimby in a dirty fight for…
Main Characters in this EpisodeMore
Lisa: Bart, we can't let Bob steal the spotlight like this. We're gonna have to stoop to the lowest common denominator.
Bart: I can do that.
Agh! It's the Rapture! Quick - get Bart out of the house before God comes!
So sorry, Mr. Simpson, but your house is blocking construction of our new Matlock Expressway. Now, I am a fair man. You may have 72 hours to vacate. After which time, we will blow up your house and any remaining Simpsons.
- Goof (continuity error): Larry King introduced himself as the moderator for the mayoral debate. However, that same debate has Birch Barlow asking the only 2 questions we see.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Kent Brockman says "Mayor" Sideshow Bob was preparing to make a victory speech. Bob's title would actually be Mayor-Elect, since he hasn't been officially sworn in yet.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Bart throws his radio out the window, there is still sound coming from the speaker, even though it's clearly unplugged.
- Goof (factual errors): In the United States, mayors don't have the authority to pardon state level crimes like attempted murder - only governors do.
- Goof (factual errors): The plot hinges on a supposed act of voter fraud, and the evidence given is that Bob's campaign used the names of dead people and pets to vote for him. However, the polls showed 99 or 100% support for Bob anyway. So obviously, all the legitimate voters did actually vote for him, which means that the fraudulent votes did not make any difference. Bob really did win the election legitimately.
- This episode features the first appearance of Right-wing-radio-talk-show host Birch Barlow, who is obviously modeled in appearance and voice after Rush Limbaugh.
- The famous snake's name "Humphrey Boa-Gart" is an obvious pun on the name of Humphrey Bogart.
- In this episode we learn real life radio show host Dr. Demento is Bart's mortal enemy, and other sideshow Bob is his other mortal enemy.