6x05 Sideshow Bob Roberts
First Aired: Oct. 09, 1994 on FOX
Summary: After getting released from prison yet again, Sideshow Bob attempts to land the only job suited for a two-time felon: Mayor of Springfield. Backed by a cabal of Republicans led by Mr. Burns and the corpulent talk radio blow-hard Birch Barlow, Bob takes on Mayor Quimby in a dirty fight for…
Watch Episode On:- Simpsons World (tv_everywhere)
Moe Szyslak: All right, you heard the man.
Moe Szyslak: Everybody, one grenade each.
Barney Gumble: Moe, I think he meant through non-violent, grassroots, poltical action.
Moe Szyslak: Really? You think? Okay, hand 'em back. Come on, everybody.
Moe Szyslak: Hey, hey! Who pulled the pin on this one?
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Kent Brockman says "Mayor" Sideshow Bob was preparing to make a victory speech. Bob's title would actually be Mayor-Elect, since he hasn't been officially sworn in yet.
- Goof (factual errors): In the United States, mayors don't have the authority to pardon state level crimes like attempted murder - only governors do.
- Goof (continuity error): Larry King introduced himself as the moderator for the mayoral debate. However, that same debate has Birch Barlow asking the only 2 questions we see.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Bart throws his radio out the window, there is still sound coming from the speaker, even though it's clearly unplugged.
- The famous snake's name "Humphrey Boa-Gart" is an obvious pun on the name of Humphrey Bogart.
- In this episode we learn real life radio show host Dr. Demento is Bart's mortal enemy, and other sideshow Bob is his other mortal enemy.
- This episode features the first appearance of Right-wing-radio-talk-show host Birch Barlow, who is obviously modeled in appearance and voice after Rush Limbaugh.