6x05 Sideshow Bob Roberts
First Aired: Oct. 09, 1994 on FOX
Summary: After getting released from prison yet again, Sideshow Bob attempts to land the only job suited for a two-time felon: Mayor of Springfield. Backed by a cabal of Republicans led by Mr. Burns and the corpulent talk radio blow-hard Birch Barlow, Bob takes on Mayor Quimby in a dirty fight for…
Watch Episode On:- Simpsons World (tv_everywhere)
Bart: [disappointed] Oh... tomorrow we were gonna find out who the dish ran away with.
Lisa: The spoon, Bart.
Bart: [gasps] Of course!
- Goof (continuity error): Larry King introduced himself as the moderator for the mayoral debate. However, that same debate has Birch Barlow asking the only 2 questions we see.
- Goof (factual errors): In the United States, mayors don't have the authority to pardon state level crimes like attempted murder - only governors do.
- Goof (factual errors): The plot hinges on a supposed act of voter fraud, and the evidence given is that Bob's campaign used the names of dead people and pets to vote for him. However, the polls showed 99 or 100% support for Bob anyway. So obviously, all the legitimate voters did actually vote for him, which means that the fraudulent votes did not make any difference. Bob really did win the election legitimately.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Bart throws his radio out the window, there is still sound coming from the speaker, even though it's clearly unplugged.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Kent Brockman says "Mayor" Sideshow Bob was preparing to make a victory speech. Bob's title would actually be Mayor-Elect, since he hasn't been officially sworn in yet.
- This episode features the first appearance of Right-wing-radio-talk-show host Birch Barlow, who is obviously modeled in appearance and voice after Rush Limbaugh.
- In this episode we learn real life radio show host Dr. Demento is Bart's mortal enemy, and other sideshow Bob is his other mortal enemy.
- The famous snake's name "Humphrey Boa-Gart" is an obvious pun on the name of Humphrey Bogart.