3x02 Franny and the Professor
First Aired: Sep. 18, 1995 on CBS
Summary: C.C. makes a bet with her brother that he can't get Fran to play Jeopardy!. But Fran somehow enters the game and manages to win! Meanwhile, Mr. Sheffield is driving himself crazy for not being invited to the Renaissance Weekend held by the president, and Fran gets him tickets with the new…
Main Characters in this Episode
Fran Fine: That would be "Family Affair", the episode where Mr. French accidentally drops Mrs. Beasley off the terrace, followed by "The Munsters" with Marilyn Number 2, followed by "Bewitched" with Darrin Number 1 but Mrs. Kravitz Number 2.
Maxwell Sheffield: Bravo, Miss Fine. You seem to know more about sixties television than most people your age have forgotten.
Fran Fine: Well, are you calling me old or just stupid?
Maxwell Sheffield: You have a childlike quality that I find absolutely charming.
Fran Fine: [to Niles] Childlike?
Niles: [translating] Just stupid.
Niles: Did you ever win?
Fran Fine: Well, my mother and I were on our way to Israel on El Al, and who was sitting next to us but Diana Kind, a.k.a. Barbara Streisand's mother, in *coach* - they got a lot of unresolved issues, those two - on her way to see the pyramids in Giza...
Alex Trebek: So your response is Giza?
Fran Fine: No, Mr. In-a-Hurry. But talking about Streisand and Egypt reminded me of Omar Sharif who, according to my Funny Girl trivia book, was *not* the first actor cast in the role of Nicky Arnstein, but was born in...
Alex Trebek: MISS FINE!
Fran Fine: [shouting] What is Alexandria?
Alex Trebek: [shocked] That's right.
- Goof (continuity error): Toward the end, Fran has three piles of rice boxes: two with 6 and one having only 5 rice boxes. However, in the next shot, we see the pile with 5 now have 6.
- Goof (continuity error): Fran complains over the phone that she only got 5 of the 6 boxes of Butter and Herb flavored Rice A Roni that she was supposed to get. A moment later when Mr. Sheffield comes in, there are 6 boxes instead of just 5.
- Goof (factual errors): When Fran gets the Daily Double, she rings in to answer it. The contestant who finds a Daily Double does not need to ring in, as they'd be the only one allowed to answer it.
- Goof (factual errors): In Final Jeopardy, the third place player would show their response first, before the second place and first place players. The producers had Fran, who was in third place, show her response last, so as to build up to the surprise that Fran was right and wins.
- The title comes from the sitcom Nanny and the Professor about another odd nanny-single father family relationship.