1x03 The Knockdown
First Aired: Feb. 07, 2008 on CBC
Summary: While the city celebrates the Queen’s birthday with a display of fireworks, Murdoch investigates a messy case of fixed fights and shady backroom dealings in the dirty world of boxing. After his victory against Sully Sullivan, boxing underdog Amos Robinson is found dead in his hotel room.…
Watch Episode On:- ShareTV (free)
- Yahoo View (free)
- Amazon (purchase)
- Acorn TV (Via Amazon Prime) (subscription)
- Acorn TV (subscription)
Detective William Murdoch: Newton's third law of motion, George.
Detective William Murdoch: But what use is that? Intuition isn't a reliable basis to form an opinion.
- Queen Victoria's 76th birthday is mentioned, so that makes the date May 24, 1895.
- Queen Victoria being born in 1819 ,and this being her 76th birthday - would make the year being 1895 .
- John L. Sullivan was the first world heavyweight boxing champion from 1885 to 1892, when he was beaten by James J. Corbett. Some boxing historians consider Corbett the first champion as he was champion when the modern Marquis of Queensbury rules were introduced 1n 1895, the year that the story takes place.
- In his first interview with Cutler, the boxing promoter, it is learned that Det. Murdoch makes around C$400 a year, "give or take".