1x09 Bob & Rhoda & Teddy & Mary
First Aired: Nov. 14, 1970 on CBS
Summary: Mary is nominated for her first Television Editors' Award (the ""Teddies""), but at home Rhoda's boyfriend Bob takes more of an interest in Mary than in Rhoda.
Main Characters in this Episode
- Goof (continuity error): Rhoda is in the process of storming out of Mary's apartment, but stops when Mary calls to her. When she stops she is standing by Mary's couch, but in the next shot of Rhoda she is standing by the door.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Ted appears in his first scene of this episode, the curtain with repetitive CBS logo appears at the door.
- Goof (miscellaneous): At the end of the episode, Lou presents an award to the newsroom staff (bought from the Tinker Trophy Company). Ted begins his oft-repeated acceptance speech about "It all starting in Fresno," but he gets it wrong, saying, "You start as a staff announcer in 1952 at a television station, in a small, 5,000-watt radio station in Fresno, California." Usually it's a radio station, not a television and radio station.
- Lou calls the morale-boosting trophy (purchased as the Tinker Trophy Company) that he gives to the crew "The Tinker." Grant Tinker was the founder of MTM Enterprises and married to Mary Tyler Moore.
- The sequence near the episode's end in which Mary approaches Rhoda on the sofa, saying "I got another one" is incorporated into the second-season's opening credits montage.
- Ted's first mention of the "5,000-watt radio station in Fresno, California," where he started his broadcasting career. He delivers his acceptance speech under the closing credits, one of the few times in the series' run in which the "curtain-call" credits were replaced by continuing action.
- First episode to feature the Teddy Awards. "Teddy" stands for "Television Editors," and the current awards are indicated as the second-annual edition.
- Mary is nominated in the category of public-affairs programming for a show titled "Sunday News Conference." Murray is nominated for writing a flood story. Ted is nominated as Best Male Personality, Best Newcaster, and Best TV Personality.