The Love Boat is an American television series set on a cruise ship, which aired on the ABC Television Network from 1977 until 1986. It was part of ABC's Saturday night one-two punch along with Fantasy Island until that show ended in 1984. The original made-for-TV movie on which the show was based was itself based on a book, The Love Boats by Jeraldine Saunders, a real-life cruise director.
Last EpisodeTV Movie: Who Killed Maxwell Thorn? Aired: Feb. 27, 1987
A billionaire who secretly gave free cruises to six strangers is reported missing, and Ace suspects that one of the six murdered him; Emily searches …
- Captain Merrill Stubing
- Bartender Isaac Washington
- Yeoman-Purser Burl 'Gopher' …
- Vicki Stubing
- Doctor Adam Bricker
Series Fun Facts
- Dick Van Patton played the doctor (O'Neil) in the Love Boat TV Movie and was up for the role of the Captain in the series, but was already involved in "Eight is Enough" and wasn't available.…
[show]Dick Van Patton played the doctor (O'Neil) in the Love Boat TV Movie and was up for the role of the Captain in the series, but was already involved in "Eight is Enough" and wasn't available. So the role went to Gavin MacLeod.
- This series was based upon Jeraldine Saunders novel titled, "The Love Boats". She wrote the book from her personal observations while serving as a hostess on a cruise ship.
- Lauren Tewes was chosen over 100 actresses for the role of Julie McCoy.