1x06 Mistaken Identity
First Aired: Oct. 15, 1990 on NBC
Summary: Will and Carlton are driving Henry Furth's car to Palm Springs, until they get pulled over by a police officer. They're taken to a station for questioning, where Carlton completely ruins Will's plans to get out of there, ending them in jail. Phillip and Vivian see them on TV afterwards and…
William 'Will' Smith: [pops up from behind Carlton's chair in a Freddy Krueger mask] Four, get the stick out of your butt.
Philip Banks: No. Did you see the Terminator?
Scott: [Scott is really the News reporter] And do you have anything to say?
Carlton: [whiny voice] Dad!
- Goof (continuity error): In the beginning of the episode Will is wearing an inner tube that is under the left arm. In the next shot it is under the right and keeps moving back and forth.
- Goof (continuity error): Will was wearing no glasses when he went to jail. When Will goes on live TV, he's now wearing a pair of sunglasses with one lens missing. After the TV broadcast is over, the sunglasses have disappeared.
- Will dresses up as Freddy Krueger, the antagonist of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" films. In real life, Will Smith co-wrote and performed the hit song, "Nightmare on My Street", inspired by that franchise.
- Syndication cuts the scene where Hilary tries to force Ashley to answer the telephone.
- This is actually the 7th episode to be shot, but the 6th to be broadcasted.
- During the jail scene, a segment of Bob singing "I write the songs" is cut out in syndication.