1x04 Not With My Pig, You Don't
First Aired: Oct. 01, 1990 on NBC
Summary: Will tries to smooth things between Philip and his very rural parents when they visit to see him receive an award.
- Goof (continuity error): When Philip comes home from work and talks about the award, Hillary is excited that she's going to get 2 new dresses for the interview and the awards ceremony. But, during the interview scene, Hillary isn't wearing a new dress. She isn't even wearing a dress at all. Despite the fact the Banks' don't end up getting their picture taken during the interview, Hillary didn't know that until the reporter arrived.
- Phils real name is Zeke.
- The newspaper reporter during the interviews says that Uncle Phil "settled the landmark court case of Quincy vs Jones". Quincy Jones was the executive producer of the show.
- Will reads in TV Guide that Bill Cosby is getting a streetwise niece. This is a reference to Erika Alexander who joined the cast of The Cosby Show as Cousin Pam the same year that this episode aired.
- This was actually the 6th episode to be shot, but the fourth to be broadcasted.
- Hattie repeatedly sang or hummed the song Wade in the Water. Harriet Tubman sang this spiritual as a warning to runaway slaves. To escaping slaves, the song told them to abandon the path and move into the water. By traveling along the water's edge or across a body of water, the slaves would throw chasing dogs and their keepers off the scent. This song was better explained in a later episode of this series.