1x01 Night 1
First Aired: Aug. 05, 2007 on TNT
Summary: Set in East and West Berlin, Episode 1 explores the early years of the CIA during the Cold War era as the espionage games begin between the CIA and the USSR's KGB.
Series Main Characters
Guest Stars[no credits found]
- Goof (anachronisms): At least one of the cans tied to the bumper of the car in the 1950's wedding scene was a two-piece late 20th C. food can (no side or bottom seams) which were not used commercially until the 1980's.
- Goof (anachronisms): After the boat race, in 1950, a character drinks a beer from a metal can. Again, in the 50's, it should have been a glass bottle. Still in 1954, square section plastic garbage containers in the entry of an east-Berlin building. During that period, at best (when there was a garbage container at all), it was a fluted metal can but most of of the time, garbage was collected in a cutout oil gallon. The plastic cans appeared in that area only after 1989.
- Goof (anachronisms): In the 1950s scenes, the characters keep on referring to a "mole" in the CIA. However, "mole" in the sense of a double agent was coined by the English novelist John le Carré in the 1960s.
- Goof (factual errors): SPOLIER: Philby's defection, along with that of Burgess and Maclean, are depicted as taking place in 1954. Burgess and Maclean defected in 1951, which did indeed bring suspicion on Philby as alluded to. However Philby himself didn't defect until 1963 having been cleared before he was proved to be a mole.
- Goof (anachronisms): In 1950, Harvey Torriti refers to the KGB. It didn't receive that name until 1954, and was known as the Ministry for State Security (MGB) instead.