3x10 The Prince
First Aired: Jun. 16, 2013 on Showtime
Summary: Alexander and Cesare are reconciled at last, and the Pope reveals that the Papal Armies have been strengthened and re-equipped with the money saved from the Crusade and the proceeds of the Jubilee. Now, the Borgias are ready to move against their enemies the Sforzas and are ready to take…
Watch Episode On:- Amazon (purchase)
- VUDU (purchase)
- Verizon On Demand (purchase)
- Showtime (subscription)
- Hulu with Showtime (subscription)
- Showtime Anytime (tv_everywhere)
- Xfinity (tv_everywhere)
Caterina Sforza: [after a long pause, she laughs] Does it take a Caterina Sforza to kill a Caterina Sforza? [No answer so she jumps]
Micheletto: Talking with God.
Cesare Borgia: And what did he say?
- There was a siege at Forli and during it Caterina asked Cesare to parlay. She meant to capture him, but as he was entering the town, the drawbridge was raised too quickly, and Cesre jumped to safety. After the walls were breached, she and some followers barricaded themselves in a tower. It is sometimes reported that if she had fallen into Cesare's hands, he would have killed her, but she was captured by the French, whose chivalric code prevented them from executing a woman under those circumstances. She was imprisoned in Rome, and according to some sources. raped and beaten by Cesare. She was released by the Pope in 1501 after she had renounced all claims to Forli and other places. She died in 1509 from pneumonia.
- Rennaissance artist Sandro Botticelli was fascinated by the beauty of Caterina Sforza and used her as a model for paintings in which she was depicted as the Virgin Mary, the goddess Venus, and Pallus.
- The title of this episode, "The Prince" is a reference to the classic work written by Niccolo Machiavelli based on Cesare Borgia.