First Aired: Sep. 20, 2005 on The WB
Summary: Sam and Dean head to Colorado to check out the coordinates that their father left them in his journal. When they arrive, they pose as park rangers to investigate the disappearance of three campers and soon discover that they're up against a Wendigo, a mythical creature from Native American…
Roy: Yeah, more than a little.
Dean Winchester: Uh huh. What kind of furry critters do you hunt?
Roy: Mostly buck, sometimes bear.
Dean Winchester: Tell me, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?
- Goof (errors in geography): They say this episode takes place in the area around Grand Junction, but the problem is that the geography of that area is all desert, not full of trees like they implied in the episode.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Sam and Dean first introduce themselves to Hailey, Dean says his name is Dean but the name on his ID says Samuel Cole.
- Goof (factual errors): It is stated several times that Grizzly Bears are the cause of several deaths in the area (in Colorado), and a picture of a large dead bear is shown in the Ranger's office. Grizzly Bears are not indigenous to Colorado, only American Black Bears are; a smaller, less vicious species of bear.
- Goof (errors in geography): There is no "Black Water Ridge" in the Lost Creek wilderness of Colorado. The coordinates left by their father (35, 111) actually meet in Arizona.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Upon arriving in Colorado, while the Winchester brothers are at the ranger station gathering information, Sam states that they are natural resource majors at UC-Boulder. The school is actually known as CU-Boulder.
- When discussing how wendigos came about, Ben refers to the Donner Party. The Donner Party was a group of pioneers headed west in a wagon train to California in the winter of 1846 who became trapped by an early snow storm while crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountains. They were stranded for four months and resorted to cannibalism to survive.
- Dean asks Roy, "Tell me, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?" Dean is referring to the cartoon characters Bambi (Disney's classic movie Bambi (1942)) and Yogi Bear (Hanna-Barbera's TV show The Huckleberry Hound Show (1958)).
- Plotwise, this episode is very similar to "The X Files" (1993) Season 5 episode "Detour" in which Mulder and Scully encounter some nasty creatures on a camping trip. _Supernatural_ has often been compared to "The X Files" (1993) with 2 lead characters investigating the paranormal. It is also filmed in Canada so many of the actors and directors from the earlier series show up in this one.
- Sam's deceased girlfriend's full name is Jessica Lee Moore as seen on her tombstone in this episode.
- The book Tommy is reading in the beginning is: "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell (III). In this book Campbell's unique perspectives examine the world's complex and interwoven mythology, folklore and religion, providing an understanding of the essence and genesis of humanness.