First Aired: Sep. 20, 2005 on The WB
Summary: Sam and Dean head to Colorado to check out the coordinates that their father left them in his journal. When they arrive, they pose as park rangers to investigate the disappearance of three campers and soon discover that they're up against a Wendigo, a mythical creature from Native American…
Roy: Yeah, more than a little.
Dean Winchester: Uh huh. What kind of furry critters do you hunt?
Roy: Mostly buck, sometimes bear.
Dean Winchester: Tell me, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?
Dean Winchester: [pulls out John's journal] This is why. This book. This is Dad's single most valuable possession. Everything he knows about every evil thing is in here. And he's passed it on to us. I think he wants us to pick up where he left off. You know, saving people, hunting things. The family business.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Sam and Dean first introduce themselves to Hailey, Dean says his name is Dean but the name on his ID says Samuel Cole.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Upon arriving in Colorado, while the Winchester brothers are at the ranger station gathering information, Sam states that they are natural resource majors at UC-Boulder. The school is actually known as CU-Boulder.
- Goof (errors in geography): There is no "Black Water Ridge" in the Lost Creek wilderness of Colorado. The coordinates left by their father (35, 111) actually meet in Arizona.
- Goof (errors in geography): They say this episode takes place in the area around Grand Junction, but the problem is that the geography of that area is all desert, not full of trees like they implied in the episode.
- Goof (factual errors): The brothers use Anasazi symbols to fight the Wendigo in Colorado when the tribes were actually located in the Southwest. Dean says that Wendigo are typically found in the Northeast of the country (Minnesota) and he's never heard of one as far west as Colorado.
- Jessica's tombstone shows her birthday to be January 24th (1984). January 24th (1979) is also Dean's birthday.
- One of the candles on Jessica's grave has "Virgen de Guadalupe" on it. This is based on an apparition of a brown-skinned Virgin Mary who appeared to future saint Juan Diego in 1531 and spoke in Nahuatl, the local language. She is also sometimes believed to be The Woman of the Apocalypse. That might be appropriate considering Sam's family background. The presence of this candle implies that Jessica could be Roman Catholic.
- When Dean introduces the brothers to Hailey, he says "My name is Dean, this is Sam", but his Ranger ID shows his name is Samuel Cole.
- Sam's deceased girlfriend's full name is Jessica Lee Moore as seen on her tombstone in this episode.
- The book Tommy is reading in the beginning is: "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell (III). In this book Campbell's unique perspectives examine the world's complex and interwoven mythology, folklore and religion, providing an understanding of the essence and genesis of humanness.