First Aired: Sep. 20, 2005 on The WB
Summary: Sam and Dean head to Colorado to check out the coordinates that their father left them in his journal. When they arrive, they pose as park rangers to investigate the disappearance of three campers and soon discover that they're up against a Wendigo, a mythical creature from Native American…
Roy: Yeah, more than a little.
Dean Winchester: Uh huh. What kind of furry critters do you hunt?
Roy: Mostly buck, sometimes bear.
Dean Winchester: Tell me, Bambi or Yogi ever hunt you back?
- Goof (factual errors): The brothers use Anasazi symbols to fight the Wendigo in Colorado when the tribes were actually located in the Southwest. Dean says that Wendigo are typically found in the Northeast of the country (Minnesota) and he's never heard of one as far west as Colorado.
- Goof (errors in geography): There is no "Black Water Ridge" in the Lost Creek wilderness of Colorado. The coordinates left by their father (35, 111) actually meet in Arizona.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Upon arriving in Colorado, while the Winchester brothers are at the ranger station gathering information, Sam states that they are natural resource majors at UC-Boulder. The school is actually known as CU-Boulder.
- Goof (continuity error): In the beginning, when Tommy is filming his message to Hailey, his dialogue says: "Hey, Hailey. Day 6. We're still out near Blackwater Ridge. We're fine, keeping safe, so don't worry. Talk to you tomorrow." But when Hailey plays the recording for Dean and Sam, the message becomes: "Hey, Hailey. Day 6. We're still out near Blackwater Ridge. We're fine, keeping safe, so don't worry, okay? Talk to you tomorrow."
- Goof (errors in geography): They say this episode takes place in the area around Grand Junction, but the problem is that the geography of that area is all desert, not full of trees like they implied in the episode.
- SPOILER: Body count: 4
- In the beginning two guys are playing a first person shooter video game against each other and one claiming the other is cheating. A reference to the pilot of Threat Matrix. Executive producer John Shiban was a writer for that show.
- Sam's deceased girlfriend's full name is Jessica Lee Moore as seen on her tombstone in this episode.
- This is Alden Ehrenreich first role.
- Plotwise, this episode is very similar to "The X Files" (1993) Season 5 episode "Detour" in which Mulder and Scully encounter some nasty creatures on a camping trip. _Supernatural_ has often been compared to "The X Files" (1993) with 2 lead characters investigating the paranormal. It is also filmed in Canada so many of the actors and directors from the earlier series show up in this one.