First Aired: Sep. 20, 2005 on The WB
Summary: Sam and Dean head to Colorado to find the coordinates that their father left in his journal. There, they pose as park rangers to investigate the disappearance of campers. Following a group searching for a missing camper the two brothers soon learn they are dealing with a Wendigo, a creature…
Guest Stars[no credits found]
Dean Winchester: I'm telling you now. Besides, it's probably the most honest I've ever been with a woman. Ever. So we okay?
Haley Collins: Yeah, okay.
Dean Winchester: And what do you mean I didn't pack provisions?
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Sam and Dean first introduce themselves to Hailey, Dean says his name is Dean but the name on his ID says Samuel Cole.
- Goof (factual errors): It is stated several times that Grizzly Bears are the cause of several deaths in the area (in Colorado), and a picture of a large dead bear is shown in the Ranger's office. Grizzly Bears are not indigenous to Colorado, only American Black Bears are; a smaller, less vicious species of bear.
- Goof (factual errors): The brothers use Anasazi symbols to fight the Wendigo in Colorado when the tribes were actually located in the Southwest. Dean says that Wendigo are typically found in the Northeast of the country (Minnesota) and he's never heard of one as far west as Colorado.
- Goof (errors in geography): There is no "Black Water Ridge" in the Lost Creek wilderness of Colorado. The coordinates left by their father (35, 111) actually meet in Arizona.
- Goof (errors in geography): They say this episode takes place in the area around Grand Junction, but the problem is that the geography of that area is all desert, not full of trees like they implied in the episode.
- SPOILER: Body count: 4
- Callum Keith Rennie and Donnelly Rhodes also starred together in the Battlestar Galactica (2004) series.
- Plotwise, this episode is very similar to The X-Files Season 5 episode "Detour" in which Mulder and Scully encounter some nasty creatures on a camping trip. _Supernatural_ has often been compared to The X-Files with 2 lead characters investigating the paranormal. It is also filmed in Canada so many of the actors and directors from the earlier series show up in this one.
- Sam's deceased girlfriend's full name is Jessica Lee Moore as seen on her tombstone in this episode.
- The book Tommy is reading in the beginning is: "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell (III). In this book Campbell's unique perspectives examine the world's complex and interwoven mythology, folklore and religion, providing an understanding of the essence and genesis of humanness.