First Aired: Nov. 06, 2008 on The CW
Summary: Clark receives a package from an anonymous benefactor, which contains the blue Kryptonian crystal. When he touches it, he and a visiting Lois are transported into the Phantom Zone, where they meet the captive Kara. She manages to open a portal but Zod's imprisoned wife Flora takes over…
Main Characters in this Episode
Clark Kent: Lois was there when I touched the crystal. We need to find a portal back.
Kara: I did. Zor-El built me an escape hatch.
Clark Kent: If you know a way out, then why are you still here?
Kara: I didn't want to make the same mistake you did. Zoners got out when you left. They're just waiting for me to open the portal again.
Clark Kent: So you stayed here all this time, fending for your life to protect Earth?
Kara: Your lifeline. You lose it, you die.
- Goof (continuity error): Glass is shown inside, on the kitchen floor, even though phantom zone frame, holding Clark and Lois, was heading out the window.
- Lois dismisses her experience in the Phantom Zone as "some kind of Arabian Nights acid trip." Arabian Nights is the English name for One Thousand and One Nights, a collection of Middle Eastern and South Asian stories and folk tales compiled in Arabic during the Islamic Golden Age.
- On the first night of airing in the United States, this was the highest rated and most viewed episode of Season 8.
- When Clark and Faora were talking about love for humans, Faora chides Clark "Like father, like son". Jor-El was previously shown falling in love with Louise McCallum in Relic.
- Faora says to her son Davis Bloome after she impales him that, "That which kills you makes you stronger." This is a corruption of the quote by the 19th century German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"