First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Clark Kent: I'm sick of 'hanging in there'. All I want to do is go through high school without being a total loser.
Clark Kent: And then string him up like a scarecrow.
Chloe Sullivan: Jeez, it sounds like years of therapy waiting to happen.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- Goof (continuity error): After the meteor shower, the bit of hair that Mr. Luthor finds in the cornfield changes in his hands from stretched straight to curled.
- Goof (continuity error): When Clark starts to argue with his dad about the truck Lex gave him, he throws his backpack and jacket down on the stairs in the barn. He goes over to the woodchipper and shoves his hand in it, the camera pans to his dad and you can clearly see the stairs behind him, the backpack and jacket are no longer there. Also when Clark storms up the stairs after he's done arguing with his dad, the backpack and jacket are no longer there.
- Goof (miscellaneous): When Clark and Lana are in the cemetery, visiting Lana's parents' graves, both dates of death read " - 1959" the first time we see them, then later they're corrected to " - 1989"
- The pilot episode is sometimes merged with the second episode Metamorphisis and aired as a feature length movie in syndication.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.
- Jeremy Creek/"The Scarecrow" is loosely based on the DC Comics villain Conduit.