First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Clark Kent: Haven't figured it out, yet.
Lex Luthor: Yeah, if you're dead and in the market for something to haunt.
Clark Kent: Well, I meant it's roomy.
Lex Luthor: It's the Luthor ancestral home, or so my father claims. He had it shipped over from Scotland stone by stone.
Clark Kent: Yeah, I remember. The trucks rolled through town for weeks but no one ever moved in.
Lex Luthor: My father had no intention of living here. He's never even stepped through the front door.
Clark Kent: Then why'd he ship it over?
Lex Luthor: Because he could.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Clark finds Lex in the Luthor mansion, they walk down the hall and into a new room. As they enter, as Lex is saying "So, how's the new ride?" if you look in the bottom left of the screen you can see a white tape marker on the floor, where Lex will walk over to subsequently.
- Goof (continuity error): Closeups and wide shots on the Wall of Weird show different things next to each other. Watch the objects surrounding the finger article and the Wall of Fire article in the wide shot on Chloe, then look again at the closeups.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.
- The pilot episode is sometimes merged with the second episode Metamorphisis and aired as a feature length movie in syndication.
- When this pilot episode first aired in the US on the WB network, it ran for 70 minutes. However, a large number of fans had set their VCR timers to run for just an hour so the network was inundated with complaints from people who had missed the last 10 minutes. A shorter version now exists.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.