First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Lex Luthor: Yeah, if you're dead and in the market for something to haunt.
Clark Kent: Well, I meant it's roomy.
Lex Luthor: It's the Luthor ancestral home, or so my father claims. He had it shipped over from Scotland stone by stone.
Clark Kent: Yeah, I remember. The trucks rolled through town for weeks but no one ever moved in.
Lex Luthor: My father had no intention of living here. He's never even stepped through the front door.
Clark Kent: Then why'd he ship it over?
Lex Luthor: Because he could.
Clark Kent: And then string him up like a scarecrow.
Chloe Sullivan: Jeez, it sounds like years of therapy waiting to happen.
- Goof (continuity error): SPOILER: When the Kent truck flipped over in the ditch created by the spacecraft, they were suspended from the seat (now the ceiling), presumably by lap belts. However, the timing when getting into, and their behavior in the truck, suggests that they did not put the lap belts on.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- The pilot episode is sometimes merged with the second episode Metamorphisis and aired as a feature length movie in syndication.
- Michael Rosenbaum was only cast about a week before production began.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.
- In the opening scene during the meteor shower outside of a store there is a childs quarter Superman helicopter ride with the "S" shield on the window being visible.