First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Martha: We didn't find him. He found us.
Clark Kent: Why didn't you tell me about this?
Chloe Sullivan: Do you tell me everything that happens in your life? We all keep secrets, Clark.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (continuity error): SPOILER: When the Kent truck flipped over in the ditch created by the spacecraft, they were suspended from the seat (now the ceiling), presumably by lap belts. However, the timing when getting into, and their behavior in the truck, suggests that they did not put the lap belts on.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): Lana rides up to the cemetery on a horse but later walks home with Clark, leaving the horse behind. However, the cut is actually directly from the cemetery to a scene showing Clark and Lana walking towards Lana's house from the stables. Obviously they walked to the stables, with the horse, and left it there.
- Goof (continuity error): After the meteor shower, the bit of hair that Mr. Luthor finds in the cornfield changes in his hands from stretched straight to curled.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.
- Lionel Luthor is reading a newspaper which shows a headline about "Queen Industries" which, in the D.C. Comics, is owned by Oliver Queen, a.k.a. the Green Arrow. In the sixth season, Justin Hartley joined the cast as Oliver Queen.
- Director David Nutter was given 16 days to make the pilot - twice the usual amount of time it takes to shoot an episode. Despite this, he still came perilously close to overrunning.
- Jeremy Creek/"The Scarecrow" is loosely based on the DC Comics villain Conduit.
- The pilot episode is sometimes merged with the second episode Metamorphisis and aired as a feature length movie in syndication.