First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Clark Kent: I'm sick of 'hanging in there'. All I want to do is go through high school without being a total loser.
Martha Kent: I would love to make a wish.
Lana Lang: Okay. Abracadabra.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): Lana rides up to the cemetery on a horse but later walks home with Clark, leaving the horse behind. However, the cut is actually directly from the cemetery to a scene showing Clark and Lana walking towards Lana's house from the stables. Obviously they walked to the stables, with the horse, and left it there.
- Goof (continuity error): Closeups and wide shots on the Wall of Weird show different things next to each other. Watch the objects surrounding the finger article and the Wall of Fire article in the wide shot on Chloe, then look again at the closeups.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Lana picks up a book that Clark has dropped. The book is on philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche developed the concept of the superman.
- Michael Rosenbaum was only cast about a week before production began.
- This episode broke The WB's record for number of viewers for a debut series.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.
- The pilot episode is sometimes merged with the second episode Metamorphisis and aired as a feature length movie in syndication.