First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Clark Kent: Sure. In a plane.
Lex Luthor: No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about soaring through the clouds, with nothing but air beneath you.
Clark Kent: People can't fly, Lex.
Lex Luthor: I did. After the accident, when my heart stopped. It was the most exhilarating two minutes of my life. I flew over Smallville, and for the first time, I didn't see a dead end. I saw a new beginning. Thanks to you, I have a second chance. We have a future, Clark, and I don't want anything to stand in the way of our friendship.
- Goof (continuity error): When Clark starts to argue with his dad about the truck Lex gave him, he throws his backpack and jacket down on the stairs in the barn. He goes over to the woodchipper and shoves his hand in it, the camera pans to his dad and you can clearly see the stairs behind him, the backpack and jacket are no longer there. Also when Clark storms up the stairs after he's done arguing with his dad, the backpack and jacket are no longer there.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (continuity error): Closeups and wide shots on the Wall of Weird show different things next to each other. Watch the objects surrounding the finger article and the Wall of Fire article in the wide shot on Chloe, then look again at the closeups.
- Goof (continuity error): After the meteor shower, the bit of hair that Mr. Luthor finds in the cornfield changes in his hands from stretched straight to curled.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- Director David Nutter was given 16 days to make the pilot - twice the usual amount of time it takes to shoot an episode. Despite this, he still came perilously close to overrunning.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.
- This episode takes place in October 1989 and October 2001.
- Michael Rosenbaum was only cast about a week before production began.