First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Clark Kent: Where are they from?
Clark Kent: What are you trying to tell me, Dad? That I'm from another planet? [sarcastically] I suppose you stashed my spaceship in the attic?
Jonathan Kent: Actually... it's in the storm cellar.
Chloe Sullivan: What are you talking about
Chloe Sullivan: and why are we whispering?
Martha Kent: Then where did he come from?
Jonathan Kent: I don't know. But he must have parents.
Martha Kent: Well, if he does, they're definitely not from Kansas.
Jonathan Kent: Sweetheart, we can't keep him. What are we gonna tell people? We found him out in a field?
Martha Kent: We didn't find him... he found us.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): Lana rides up to the cemetery on a horse but later walks home with Clark, leaving the horse behind. However, the cut is actually directly from the cemetery to a scene showing Clark and Lana walking towards Lana's house from the stables. Obviously they walked to the stables, with the horse, and left it there.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Goof (continuity error): SPOILER: When the Kent truck flipped over in the ditch created by the spacecraft, they were suspended from the seat (now the ceiling), presumably by lap belts. However, the timing when getting into, and their behavior in the truck, suggests that they did not put the lap belts on.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.
- Director David Nutter was given 16 days to make the pilot - twice the usual amount of time it takes to shoot an episode. Despite this, he still came perilously close to overrunning.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- Chloe hands Pete Ross a wad of cash. Most likely an in-joke from the Canadian production crew, if you look carefully, you can see a Canadian $5 bill sticking out of it.