First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Clark Kent: Where are they from?
Clark Kent: What are you trying to tell me, Dad? That I'm from another planet? [sarcastically] I suppose you stashed my spaceship in the attic?
Jonathan Kent: Actually... it's in the storm cellar.
- Goof (continuity error): When Clark starts to argue with his dad about the truck Lex gave him, he throws his backpack and jacket down on the stairs in the barn. He goes over to the woodchipper and shoves his hand in it, the camera pans to his dad and you can clearly see the stairs behind him, the backpack and jacket are no longer there. Also when Clark storms up the stairs after he's done arguing with his dad, the backpack and jacket are no longer there.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Goof (continuity error): SPOILER: When the Kent truck flipped over in the ditch created by the spacecraft, they were suspended from the seat (now the ceiling), presumably by lap belts. However, the timing when getting into, and their behavior in the truck, suggests that they did not put the lap belts on.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Lana picks up a book that Clark has dropped. The book is on philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche developed the concept of the superman.
- Michael Rosenbaum was only cast about a week before production began.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.
- Director David Nutter was given 16 days to make the pilot - twice the usual amount of time it takes to shoot an episode. Despite this, he still came perilously close to overrunning.