First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Martha Kent: I would love to make a wish.
Lana Lang: Okay. Abracadabra.
Clark Kent: Sure. In a plane.
Lex Luthor: No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about soaring through the clouds, with nothing but air beneath you.
Clark Kent: People can't fly, Lex.
Lex Luthor: I did. After the accident, when my heart stopped. It was the most exhilarating two minutes of my life. I flew over Smallville, and for the first time, I didn't see a dead end. I saw a new beginning. Thanks to you, I have a second chance. We have a future, Clark, and I don't want anything to stand in the way of our friendship.
- Goof (miscellaneous): When Clark and Lana are in the cemetery, visiting Lana's parents' graves, both dates of death read " - 1959" the first time we see them, then later they're corrected to " - 1989"
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Clark finds Lex in the Luthor mansion, they walk down the hall and into a new room. As they enter, as Lex is saying "So, how's the new ride?" if you look in the bottom left of the screen you can see a white tape marker on the floor, where Lex will walk over to subsequently.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Whitney fights Clark in order to make him a scarecrow, he takes Lana's necklace and pulls it from his neck (rips it), and then attaches it to Clark. How does he attach it to Clark if he had previously ripped it?
- Jeremy Creek/"The Scarecrow" is loosely based on the DC Comics villain Conduit.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.
- Lana picks up a book that Clark has dropped. The book is on philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche developed the concept of the superman.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.