First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Chloe Sullivan: Not yet.
Pete Ross: Well, if nothing pans out with you-know-who, maybe you and...
Chloe Sullivan: Pete, do you want to take a commercial break from the soap opera in your head? I've told you a hundred times - I'm not interested in Clark.
Pete Ross: Your vehement denial has been duly noted!
Martha Kent: Then where did he come from?
Jonathan Kent: I don't know. But he must have parents.
Martha Kent: Well, if he does, they're definitely not from Kansas.
Jonathan Kent: Sweetheart, we can't keep him. What are we gonna tell people? We found him out in a field?
Martha Kent: We didn't find him... he found us.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (continuity error): While dancing, Whitney and Lana kiss, and the motion of a beginning of a kiss is repeated three times from different angles. Looks like time is jumping back twice for a second.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- When this pilot episode first aired in the US on the WB network, it ran for 70 minutes. However, a large number of fans had set their VCR timers to run for just an hour so the network was inundated with complaints from people who had missed the last 10 minutes. A shorter version now exists.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.
- In the scène where Clark is seen reading an article on his computer, the piece shown is about 'the fastest man alive'. Though there is not a name it is a hint to the Flash.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.