First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Clark: Doesn't everyone?
Lana: So what are you: Man or Superman?
Clark: I haven't figured it out yet.
Clark Kent: Can I answer that in about five years?
Jonathan Kent: Yeah.
Clark Kent: Dad I'm glad you and mom are the ones that found me.
Jonathan Kent: We didn't find you, Clark, you found us.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Goof (continuity error): After the meteor shower, the bit of hair that Mr. Luthor finds in the cornfield changes in his hands from stretched straight to curled.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): Lana rides up to the cemetery on a horse but later walks home with Clark, leaving the horse behind. However, the cut is actually directly from the cemetery to a scene showing Clark and Lana walking towards Lana's house from the stables. Obviously they walked to the stables, with the horse, and left it there.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.
- This episode broke The WB's record for number of viewers for a debut series.
- Jeremy Creek/"The Scarecrow" is loosely based on the DC Comics villain Conduit.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.