First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Watch Episode On:- iTunes (purchase)
- Amazon (purchase)
- VUDU (purchase)
- Google Play (purchase)
- YouTube (purchase)
Chloe Sullivan: Not yet.
Pete Ross: Well, if nothing pans out with you-know-who, maybe you and...
Chloe Sullivan: Pete, do you want to take a commercial break from the soap opera in your head? I've told you a hundred times - I'm not interested in Clark.
Pete Ross: Your vehement denial has been duly noted!
Clark Kent: Why didn't you tell me about this?
Chloe Sullivan: Do you tell me everything that happens in your life? We all keep secrets, Clark.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- Goof (continuity error): When Clark starts to argue with his dad about the truck Lex gave him, he throws his backpack and jacket down on the stairs in the barn. He goes over to the woodchipper and shoves his hand in it, the camera pans to his dad and you can clearly see the stairs behind him, the backpack and jacket are no longer there. Also when Clark storms up the stairs after he's done arguing with his dad, the backpack and jacket are no longer there.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Chloe hands Pete Ross a wad of cash. Most likely an in-joke from the Canadian production crew, if you look carefully, you can see a Canadian $5 bill sticking out of it.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.
- Lionel Luthor is reading a newspaper which shows a headline about "Queen Industries" which, in the D.C. Comics, is owned by Oliver Queen, a.k.a. the Green Arrow. In the sixth season, Justin Hartley joined the cast as Oliver Queen.
- Kristin Kreuk was the first person cast.