First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Martha Kent: I would love to make a wish.
Lana Lang: Okay. Abracadabra.
Martha: We didn't find him. He found us.
Clark Kent: Sure. In a plane.
Lex Luthor: No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about soaring through the clouds, with nothing but air beneath you.
Clark Kent: People can't fly, Lex.
Lex Luthor: I did. After the accident, when my heart stopped. It was the most exhilarating two minutes of my life. I flew over Smallville, and for the first time, I didn't see a dead end. I saw a new beginning. Thanks to you, I have a second chance. We have a future, Clark, and I don't want anything to stand in the way of our friendship.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): Lana rides up to the cemetery on a horse but later walks home with Clark, leaving the horse behind. However, the cut is actually directly from the cemetery to a scene showing Clark and Lana walking towards Lana's house from the stables. Obviously they walked to the stables, with the horse, and left it there.
- Goof (continuity error): Closeups and wide shots on the Wall of Weird show different things next to each other. Watch the objects surrounding the finger article and the Wall of Fire article in the wide shot on Chloe, then look again at the closeups.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (continuity error): While dancing, Whitney and Lana kiss, and the motion of a beginning of a kiss is repeated three times from different angles. Looks like time is jumping back twice for a second.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- This episode broke The WB's record for number of viewers for a debut series.
- This episode takes place on October 7, 1989 and from October 3 to October 7, 2001.
- Lana picks up a book that Clark has dropped. The book is on philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche developed the concept of the superman.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.