First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Clark Kent: Haven't figured it out, yet.
Lex Luthor: Yeah... if you're dead and in the market for something to haunt.
Clark Kent: Well, I meant... roomy.
Lex Luthor: It's the Luthor ancestral home. Or so my father claims. He had it shipped over from Scotland stone by stone.
Clark Kent: Yeah, I remember. The trucks rolled through town for weeks, but no one ever moved in.
Lex Luthor: My father had no intention of living here. He's never even stepped through the front door.
Clark Kent: Then why'd he ship it over?
Lex Luthor: Because he could.
Clark Kent: I'm Clark Kent. And you're in Smallville.
- Goof (continuity error): When Clark starts to argue with his dad about the truck Lex gave him, he throws his backpack and jacket down on the stairs in the barn. He goes over to the woodchipper and shoves his hand in it, the camera pans to his dad and you can clearly see the stairs behind him, the backpack and jacket are no longer there. Also when Clark storms up the stairs after he's done arguing with his dad, the backpack and jacket are no longer there.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- The pilot was shot over a period of 16 days with an additional 5 days spent on 2nd unit.
- This episode takes place in October 1989 and October 2001.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- Chloe hands Pete Ross a wad of cash. Most likely an in-joke from the Canadian production crew, if you look carefully, you can see a Canadian $5 bill sticking out of it.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.