First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Guest Stars[no credits found]
Clark: Doesn't everyone?
Lana: So what are you: Man or Superman?
Clark: I haven't figured it out yet.
- Goof (continuity error): Closeups and wide shots on the Wall of Weird show different things next to each other. Watch the objects surrounding the finger article and the Wall of Fire article in the wide shot on Chloe, then look again at the closeups.
- Goof (continuity error): After the meteor shower, the bit of hair that Mr. Luthor finds in the cornfield changes in his hands from stretched straight to curled.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (revealing mistake): The Porsche that strikes Clark has no sign of impact when it goes over the side of the bridge. Clark is meant to be a "Man of Steel" and definitely would have caused visible damage to the Porsche as it flies over the edge.
- This episode broke The WB's record for number of viewers for a debut series.
- Chloe hands Pete Ross a wad of cash. Most likely an in-joke from the Canadian production crew, if you look carefully, you can see a Canadian $5 bill sticking out of it.
- The pilot was shot over a period of 16 days with an additional 5 days spent on 2nd unit.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- Lana picks up a book that Clark has dropped. The book is on philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche developed the concept of the superman.