First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Clark Kent: Can I answer that in about five years?
Jonathan Kent: Yeah.
Clark Kent: Dad I'm glad you and mom are the ones that found me.
Jonathan Kent: We didn't find you, Clark, you found us.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lex is about to hit Clark with his car, Clark alternates between facing the car and facing the bridge.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Whitney fights Clark in order to make him a scarecrow, he takes Lana's necklace and pulls it from his neck (rips it), and then attaches it to Clark. How does he attach it to Clark if he had previously ripped it?
- Goof (plot holes): A spaceship would never come to Earth together with meteorites, if they all started journey together, as a spaceship has a propulsion and travels faster than parts of planet that exploded and just floated across universe.
- Goof (continuity error): Closeups and wide shots on the Wall of Weird show different things next to each other. Watch the objects surrounding the finger article and the Wall of Fire article in the wide shot on Chloe, then look again at the closeups.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- The pilot was shot over a period of 16 days with an additional 5 days spent on 2nd unit.
- The scene showing Clark Kent "crucified" in a cornfield, wearing nothing but boxer shorts, was shot on such a chilly night that Tom Welling's breath can clearly be seen in the air. A tight shooting schedule prevented any delay in the shooting. Producers called Welling "a real trooper" for filming this scene under these conditions.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.
- This episode broke The WB's record for number of viewers for a debut series.