First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Clark Kent: I'm sick of 'hanging in there'. All I want to do is go through high school without being a total loser.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Clark finds Lex in the Luthor mansion, they walk down the hall and into a new room. As they enter, as Lex is saying "So, how's the new ride?" if you look in the bottom left of the screen you can see a white tape marker on the floor, where Lex will walk over to subsequently.
- Goof (continuity error): When Clark starts to argue with his dad about the truck Lex gave him, he throws his backpack and jacket down on the stairs in the barn. He goes over to the woodchipper and shoves his hand in it, the camera pans to his dad and you can clearly see the stairs behind him, the backpack and jacket are no longer there. Also when Clark storms up the stairs after he's done arguing with his dad, the backpack and jacket are no longer there.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): Lana rides up to the cemetery on a horse but later walks home with Clark, leaving the horse behind. However, the cut is actually directly from the cemetery to a scene showing Clark and Lana walking towards Lana's house from the stables. Obviously they walked to the stables, with the horse, and left it there.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Lionel Luthor is reading a newspaper which shows a headline about "Queen Industries" which, in the D.C. Comics, is owned by Oliver Queen, a.k.a. the Green Arrow. In the sixth season, Justin Hartley joined the cast as Oliver Queen.
- SPOILER: When Clark is on the banks of the river he has a red blanket on his back mimicking the cape often associated with Superman whom he will one day grow up to be.
- Director David Nutter was given 16 days to make the pilot - twice the usual amount of time it takes to shoot an episode. Despite this, he still came perilously close to overrunning.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.
- Lex Luthor should be 21 years old, and Clark should be 16, but the actors representing them are 29 (Michael Rosenbaum) and 24 (Tom Welling) years old, making them 8 years older than the characters they are playing.