First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Main Characters in this Episode
Chloe Sullivan: What are you talking about
Chloe Sullivan: and why are we whispering?
Lex Luthor: Yeah, if you're dead and in the market for something to haunt.
Clark Kent: Well, I meant it's roomy.
Lex Luthor: It's the Luthor ancestral home, or so my father claims. He had it shipped over from Scotland stone by stone.
Clark Kent: Yeah, I remember. The trucks rolled through town for weeks but no one ever moved in.
Lex Luthor: My father had no intention of living here. He's never even stepped through the front door.
Clark Kent: Then why'd he ship it over?
Lex Luthor: Because he could.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Clark finds Lex in the Luthor mansion, they walk down the hall and into a new room. As they enter, as Lex is saying "So, how's the new ride?" if you look in the bottom left of the screen you can see a white tape marker on the floor, where Lex will walk over to subsequently.
- Goof (continuity error): SPOILER: When the Kent truck flipped over in the ditch created by the spacecraft, they were suspended from the seat (now the ceiling), presumably by lap belts. However, the timing when getting into, and their behavior in the truck, suggests that they did not put the lap belts on.
- Goof (continuity error): Closeups and wide shots on the Wall of Weird show different things next to each other. Watch the objects surrounding the finger article and the Wall of Fire article in the wide shot on Chloe, then look again at the closeups.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- Lionel Luthor is reading a newspaper which shows a headline about "Queen Industries" which, in the D.C. Comics, is owned by Oliver Queen, a.k.a. the Green Arrow. In the sixth season, Justin Hartley joined the cast as Oliver Queen.
- This episode broke The WB's record for number of viewers for a debut series.
- Cynthia Ettinger was originally cast as Martha Kent. Before the pilot was broadcast, the role was re-cast with 'Annette OToole and her scenes were edited into the existing footage.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.
- The pilot episode is sometimes merged with the second episode Metamorphisis and aired as a feature length movie in syndication.