First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Clark Kent: Why didn't you tell me about this?
Chloe Sullivan: Do you tell me everything that happens in your life? We all keep secrets, Clark.
Chloe Sullivan: Not yet.
Pete Ross: Well, if nothing pans out with you-know-who, maybe you and...
Chloe Sullivan: Pete, do you want to take a commercial break from the soap opera in your head? I've told you a hundred times - I'm not interested in Clark.
Pete Ross: Your vehement denial has been duly noted!
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Clark finds Lex in the Luthor mansion, they walk down the hall and into a new room. As they enter, as Lex is saying "So, how's the new ride?" if you look in the bottom left of the screen you can see a white tape marker on the floor, where Lex will walk over to subsequently.
- Goof (incorrectly regarded as a mistake): Lana rides up to the cemetery on a horse but later walks home with Clark, leaving the horse behind. However, the cut is actually directly from the cemetery to a scene showing Clark and Lana walking towards Lana's house from the stables. Obviously they walked to the stables, with the horse, and left it there.
- Goof (plot holes): A spaceship would never come to Earth together with meteorites, if they all started journey together, as a spaceship has a propulsion and travels faster than parts of planet that exploded and just floated across universe.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- Goof (continuity error): After the meteor shower, the bit of hair that Mr. Luthor finds in the cornfield changes in his hands from stretched straight to curled.
- When this pilot episode first aired in the US on the WB network, it ran for 70 minutes. However, a large number of fans had set their VCR timers to run for just an hour so the network was inundated with complaints from people who had missed the last 10 minutes. A shorter version now exists.
- Director David Nutter was given 16 days to make the pilot - twice the usual amount of time it takes to shoot an episode. Despite this, he still came perilously close to overrunning.
- This episode takes place on October 7, 1989 and from October 3 to October 7, 2001.
- Lionel Luthor is reading a newspaper which shows a headline about "Queen Industries" which, in the D.C. Comics, is owned by Oliver Queen, a.k.a. the Green Arrow. In the sixth season, Justin Hartley joined the cast as Oliver Queen.
- SPOILER: When Clark is on the banks of the river he has a red blanket on his back mimicking the cape he will dawn in the last episode of the series.