First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Guest Stars[no credits found]
Martha Kent: Then where did he come from?
Jonathan Kent: I don't know. But he must have parents.
Martha Kent: Well, if he does, they're definitely not from Kansas.
Jonathan Kent: Sweetheart, we can't keep him. What are we gonna tell people? We found him out in a field?
Martha Kent: We didn't find him... he found us.
Chloe Sullivan: Not yet.
Pete Ross: Well, if nothing pans out with you-know-who, maybe you and...
Chloe Sullivan: Pete, do you want to take a commercial break from the soap opera in your head? I've told you a hundred times - I'm not interested in Clark.
Pete Ross: Your vehement denial has been duly noted!
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Goof (continuity error): After the meteor shower, the bit of hair that Mr. Luthor finds in the cornfield changes in his hands from stretched straight to curled.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Jonathan lectures Clark about the danger of accepting gifts from Luthers, the key he twirls is a GM truck key, not a Ford truck key.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- Lex Luthor should be 21 years old, and Clark should be 16, but the actors representing them are 29 (Michael Rosenbaum) and 24 (Tom Welling) years old, making them 8 years older than the characters they are playing.
- The pilot was shot over a period of 16 days with an additional 5 days spent on 2nd unit.
- Lana picks up a book that Clark has dropped. The book is on philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche. Nietzsche developed the concept of the superman.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- Director David Nutter was given 16 days to make the pilot - twice the usual amount of time it takes to shoot an episode. Despite this, he still came perilously close to overrunning.