First Aired: Oct. 16, 2001 on The WB
Summary: A meteor shower rains destruction on the small town of "Smallville", Kansas. Twelve years later, a young Clark Kent learns his true origins from his protective foster parents. As his powers start to emerge, Clark struggles to fit in among his peers. It is up to him to finally learn more…
Clark Kent: I'm sick of 'hanging in there'. All I want to do is go through high school without being a total loser.
Clark Kent: Why didn't you tell me about this?
Chloe Sullivan: Do you tell me everything that happens in your life? We all keep secrets, Clark.
- Goof (continuity error): The hole in the guard rail changes size and shape between the shot of Lex driving off it and another looking up at it from below.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Lex spins up to Luthor Corp in his car, as the camera pans over the car to follow him, the cameraman is reflected in the window as he pans over.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Lex pulls up to the Luthor plant in his car, he opens the door and is getting out, but the windshield wipers are still in motion.
- Goof (continuity error): SPOILER: When the Kent truck flipped over in the ditch created by the spacecraft, they were suspended from the seat (now the ceiling), presumably by lap belts. However, the timing when getting into, and their behavior in the truck, suggests that they did not put the lap belts on.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Clark finds Lex in the Luthor mansion, they walk down the hall and into a new room. As they enter, as Lex is saying "So, how's the new ride?" if you look in the bottom left of the screen you can see a white tape marker on the floor, where Lex will walk over to subsequently.
- When this pilot episode first aired in the US on the WB network, it ran for 70 minutes. However, a large number of fans had set their VCR timers to run for just an hour so the network was inundated with complaints from people who had missed the last 10 minutes. A shorter version now exists.
- Lex Luthor was 9 years old at the time of the meteor shower (1989), making him 21 as of this episode.
- Lex Luthor should be 21 years old, and Clark should be 16, but the actors representing them are 29 (Michael Rosenbaum) and 24 (Tom Welling) years old, making them 8 years older than the characters they are playing.
- Lionel Luthor is reading a newspaper which shows a headline about "Queen Industries" which, in the D.C. Comics, is owned by Oliver Queen, a.k.a. the Green Arrow. In the sixth season, Justin Hartley joined the cast as Oliver Queen.
- The car that Lex drove off the bridge is a Porsche 911 SC.