5x15 My Extra Mile
First Aired: Mar. 21, 2006 on NBC
Summary: When Dr. Cox scoffs at reading lines with a patient preparing for a play, J.D. urges Cox and his fellow doctors to do special, unconventional things for their patients, but when J.D. scores a date with a hot babe who loves his hair, he's not sure he can shave his head for a woman undergoing…
Main Characters in this Episode
Dr. Christopher Turk: Horrible. And you?
Carla: Worse. Let's make a baby. If it doesn't work this time I'll kill myself.
Dr. Christopher Turk: [looking extremely shocked] Not helping with the stress.
Carla: I can't believe you get a locker and I don't.
Dr. Elliot Reid: It's the same on the medical side, I swear. The only reason I got that oncology rotation is because I let Dr. Morgan take me as his date to his brother's wedding.
Dr. Christopher Turk: Ricky Morgan?
Dr. Elliot Reid: Mm-hmm
Dr. Christopher Turk: He works in the cafeteria.
Dr. Elliot Reid: [shocked] What?
- Goof (continuity error): In the opening scene, JD is using Keith to pick up girls. As five girls walk by his table, JD says an "impressive fact" about himself to each girl. The third girl (red top, dark hair) passes past JD and we see her walking behind girl #2 to the door. The shot cuts to the fourth girl (blue top) and then back to the girls walking to the door. Girl #3 is just passing by JD again instead of girl #4. Also, while girls #1-4 all exit the bar to the left, girl #5 who was with the other group to begin with exits to the right - potential bathroom break, but she didn't say anything to the others as they were headed out and one of them would have gone with her.
- Goof (continuity error): When Dr Cox is talking to JD in the cafeteria, there is a clock on a pillar behind him. When he first sits down, it reads 3:37 and when he stands up to leave (approx. 1 minute later) the hands have not moved.
- Goof (continuity error): When Dr Kelso and Dr Wen are addressing the 10 resident surgeons we see the two of them from behind the ten with Turk and Todd in the front and a tall black male and shorter white male surgeons are standing almost directly behind them-just a little to each's outside. When the shot returns to view the surgeons as a group from the front, the tall black doctor is in the front to Todd's left and the shorter white surgeon is between Todd and Turk, though still behind them. Not enough time elapsed for them to move to these new positions.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): JD states there are ten resident surgeons applying for three attending positions. When the ranking list is posted, there are ten names - 8 male and 2 female. However, different numbers and sexes appear throughout: (1) When Turk has the surgeons agree to work together and not against each other in trying to get the positions, there are 11 in the room, 10 men and 1 (probable) woman (Bonnie Chang is not present); (2) when Dr Kelso and Dr Wen talk to the surgeons after this meeting-when Dr Wen eventually posts the ranking list, there are only 10 surgeons-9 men & 1 woman (no Bonnie Chang & missing 1 tall dark haired male); (3) eight male and one female surgeons confront Turk when he is wearing the Hospital Mascot outfit (a needle), Turk would be #10 and Todd (who is not part of the group) is #11. There should only ever be eight male and two female = 10 total.
- Goof (miscellaneous): The title of the comic book that Turk obtains for his patient is called "Vengeance." However, the title is misspelled "Vengance" on the cover.
- Doctor Wynn posts a sheet of the best Surgical Residents. Numbers six through ten are all production assistants of some sort on the show,#5 Ken Whittingham is the director of the episode. #6 'John 'Johnny O Ornelas is the assistant property master. #7 Mark Stegemann is a producer, but also writer of the episode. #8 John Inwood is a recurring director and cinematographer for the series. #9 Liz Newman is a producer #10 "Franklyn Guttbutter" a riff on actual assistant Franklyn Gottbetter.