8x01 Lock, Stock, Some Smoking Barrels and Burton Guster's Goblet of Fire
First Aired: Jan. 08, 2014 on USA
Summary: Gus attends a Harry Potter convention in London in the Season 8 opener.
- Goof (factual errors): The Interpol agents are shown as being regular policemen capable of making arrests. However, Interpol acts as an information clearing house and liaison between different countries; they do not have authority to arrest anyone.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): At around 23 minutes, Gus (aka "The Wiz") throws exploding powder and calls out "magic" words "Expecto Patronum," but in the Harry Potter books the Expecto Patronum spell doesn't cause any kind of explosion. It scares away an evil ghost like creature called a "Dementor."
- When Despereaux knocks out Ronnie Ives, Gus says to him "it's been emotional", Vinnie Jones who plays Ronnie Ives says this same line at the end of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
- The actor playing the character of "Philadelphia born and bred getaway driver" Robert Fino is actually James Roday's stunt double throughout the series run.
- When Shawn is wildly guessing names of his doppelgänger's mother during the interview with Interpol's director in the beginning, he uses the names of Glen, Mulva, Rollergirl, and Starchild. Glen is most likely from "Glen or Glenda" (1953). Mulva is probably from Seinfeld, "The Junior Mint" (season 4, episode 19), but given Shawn's penchant for obscure movies, could be from "Mulva: The Zombie Ass Kicker" (2001). Rollergirl is from "Boogie Nights" (1997). Starchild obviously is from "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968).
- At the end, Gus and Shawn bemoan the fact that they were so busy working on the case that they didn't get to see much of London and that they could have just as easily spent their time in British Columbia. This is an inside joke as that is where the show is filmed.
- With this episode, Timothy Omundson becomes the only regular cast member (beside James Roday and Dulé Hill) to appear in every episode of the show.