8x01 Lock, Stock, Some Smoking Barrels and Burton Guster's Goblet of Fire
First Aired: Jan. 08, 2014 on USA
Summary: Gus attends a Harry Potter convention in London in the Season 8 opener.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): At around 23 minutes, Gus (aka "The Wiz") throws exploding powder and calls out "magic" words "Expecto Patronum," but in the Harry Potter books the Expecto Patronum spell doesn't cause any kind of explosion. It scares away an evil ghost like creature called a "Dementor."
- Goof (factual errors): The Interpol agents are shown as being regular policemen capable of making arrests. However, Interpol acts as an information clearing house and liaison between different countries; they do not have authority to arrest anyone.
- Vinnie Jones and Timothy omundson would later appear together again in Galivant in which Timothy plays the King and Vinnie plays his best friend Gareth.
- At the end, Gus and Shawn bemoan the fact that they were so busy working on the case that they didn't get to see much of London and that they could have just as easily spent their time in British Columbia. This is an inside joke as that is where the show is filmed.
- When Shawn is wildly guessing names of his doppelgänger's mother during the interview with Interpol's director in the beginning, he uses the names of Glen, Mulva, Rollergirl, and Starchild. Glen is most likely from "Glen or Glenda" (1953). Mulva is probably from Seinfeld, "The Junior Mint" (season 4, episode 19), but given Shawn's penchant for obscure movies, could be from "Mulva: The Zombie Ass Kicker" (2001). Rollergirl is from "Boogie Nights" (1997). Starchild obviously is from "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968).
- With this episode, Timothy Omundson becomes the only regular cast member (beside James Roday and Dulé Hill) to appear in every episode of the show.
- When Despereaux knocks out Ronnie Ives, Gus says to him "it's been emotional", Vinnie Jones who plays Ronnie Ives says this same line at the end of Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels