8x01 Lock, Stock, Some Smoking Barrels and Burton Guster's Goblet of Fire
First Aired: Jan. 08, 2014 on USA
Summary: Gus attends a Harry Potter convention in London in the Season 8 opener.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): At around 23 minutes, Gus (aka "The Wiz") throws exploding powder and calls out "magic" words "Expecto Patronum," but in the Harry Potter books the Expecto Patronum spell doesn't cause any kind of explosion. It scares away an evil ghost like creature called a "Dementor."
- Goof (factual errors): The Interpol agents are shown as being regular policemen capable of making arrests. However, Interpol acts as an information clearing house and liaison between different countries; they do not have authority to arrest anyone.
- With this episode, Timothy Omundson becomes the only regular cast member (beside James Roday and Dulé Hill) to appear in every episode of the show.
- When showing the newspaper coverage in the beginning of the episode, the pictures are moving. A nod to the moving images in the Harry Potter series and the reason Gus wanted to go to England.
- At the end, Gus and Shawn bemoan the fact that they were so busy working on the case that they didn't get to see much of London and that they could have just as easily spent their time in British Columbia. This is an inside joke as that is where the show is filmed.
- Vinnie Jones played the role of Big Chris in the movie "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" (1998). It is his first credited screen role in IMDB.
- Gus states that he is "a sympathetic learner". This is a running gag as he has previously claimed to be a "sympathetic crier" and a "sympathetic sweater".