8x01 Lock, Stock, Some Smoking Barrels and Burton Guster's Goblet of Fire
First Aired: Jan. 08, 2014 on USA
Summary: Gus attends a Harry Potter convention in London in the Season 8 opener.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): At around 23 minutes, Gus (aka "The Wiz") throws exploding powder and calls out "magic" words "Expecto Patronum," but in the Harry Potter books the Expecto Patronum spell doesn't cause any kind of explosion. It scares away an evil ghost like creature called a "Dementor."
- Goof (factual errors): The Interpol agents are shown as being regular policemen capable of making arrests. However, Interpol acts as an information clearing house and liaison between different countries; they do not have authority to arrest anyone.
- Spot the Pineapple: in the opening credits, the screen reads "Psych created by Steve Franks" and a pineapple is on the screen.
- Towards the end of the episode, in Despereaux's final scene, he can be seen handling the dagger/key from 'Indiana Shawn and the Temple of the Kinda Crappy, Rusty Old Dagger.'
- The final slow motion fight scene is a nod to the Guy Ritchie movies (Snatch, Lock Stock, etc.)
- At the end, Gus and Shawn bemoan the fact that they were so busy working on the case that they didn't get to see much of London and that they could have just as easily spent their time in British Columbia. This is an inside joke as that is where the show is filmed.
- Gus states that he is "a sympathetic learner". This is a running gag as he has previously claimed to be a "sympathetic crier" and a "sympathetic sweater".