First Aired: Jun. 08, 2010 on FREEFORM
Summary: Rosewood is a perfect little town. So quiet and pristine, you'd never guess it holds so many secrets. Some of the ugliest ones belong to the prettiest girls in town -- Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily, four estranged friends whose darkest secrets are about to unravel.
Wren Kim: Wren: What's so unusual?
Spencer Hastings: Spencer: I actually like you. That's what's unusual.
Aria Montgomery: Aria: I hope so too.
- Goof (factual errors): The movers carry a chair into Maya's new home, passing the Elmhurst Real Estate "SOLD" sign. The phone number on the sign is "1-800-HOUSES", which is 1 letter/number too short to be an actual phone number.
- Goof (miscellaneous): Toby is listed as Toby Marshall in the credits.
- While shooting this episode in Vancouver Ashley Benson (Hannah Marin) suggested the song "Secret" by the pierces as the shows theme song, it was later approved due to the fact that most of the cast loved it.
- This is the only time in the series in which Sasha Pieterse (Alison) is a recurring character, while Nia Peeples (Pam) is a main character. In the following episode, and every episode after, Nia is demoted to guest starring, while Sasha is upped to main.
- The events of the pilot episode cover the entire first book in the Pretty Little Liars series.
- Ian Thomas was originally played by Carlo Marks in the pilot and then replaced by Ryan Merriman.
- Sasha Pieterse, who plays Alison DiLaurentis, was only 12 years old when shooting the pilot.