First Aired: Jun. 08, 2010 on FREEFORM
Summary: Rosewood is a perfect little town. So quiet and pristine, you'd never guess it holds so many secrets. Some of the ugliest ones belong to the prettiest girls in town -- Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily, four estranged friends whose darkest secrets are about to unravel.
Hanna Marin: It's from...
Emily Fields: I got one, too.
Spencer Hastings: [reading text] I'm still here, bitches...
Spencer Hastings, Hanna Marin, Aria Montgomery, Emily Fields: [together]... And I know everything. A.
Hanna Marin: Hanna: Can you believe what a scene this is?
Aria Montgomery: Aria: Alison would've loved it.
Spencer Hastings: Spencer: Popular in life and death.
- Goof (factual errors): The movers carry a chair into Maya's new home, passing the Elmhurst Real Estate "SOLD" sign. The phone number on the sign is "1-800-HOUSES", which is 1 letter/number too short to be an actual phone number.
- Goof (miscellaneous): Toby is listed as Toby Marshall in the credits.
- The events of the pilot episode cover the entire first book in the Pretty Little Liars series.
- Ian Thomas was originally played by Carlo Marks in the pilot and then replaced by Ryan Merriman.
- This is the only time in the series in which Sasha Pieterse (Alison) is a recurring character, while Nia Peeples (Pam) is a main character. In the following episode, and every episode after, Nia is demoted to guest starring, while Sasha is upped to main.
- Filmed in Vancouver in the winter even though the episode was set in the summer. Even though they were wearing bikinis, they had to wear boots as the camera shot from the belly button up.
- While shooting this episode in Vancouver Ashley Benson (Hannah Marin) suggested the song "Secret" by the pierces as the shows theme song, it was later approved due to the fact that most of the cast loved it.