First Aired: Jun. 08, 2010 on ABC Family
Summary: Rosewood is a perfect little town. So quiet and pristine, you'd never guess it holds so many secrets. Some of the ugliest ones belong to the prettiest girls in town -- Aria, Spencer, Hanna and Emily, four estranged friends whose darkest secrets are about to unravel.
Wren Kim: Wren: What's so unusual?
Spencer Hastings: Spencer: I actually like you. That's what's unusual.
Spencer Hastings: Well, you know what they say about hope, it breeds eternal misery.
- Goof (factual errors): The movers carry a chair into Maya's new home, passing the Elmhurst Real Estate "SOLD" sign. The phone number on the sign is "1-800-HOUSES", which is 1 letter/number too short to be an actual phone number.
- Goof (miscellaneous): Toby is listed as Toby Marshall in the credits.
- Filmed in Vancouver in the winter even though the episode was set in the summer. Even though they were wearing bikinis, they had to wear boots as the camera shot from the belly button up.
- Sasha Pieterse, who plays Alison DiLaurentis, was only 12 years old when shooting the pilot.
- Alexis Denisof was originally cast as Byron Montgomery and appeared in the unaired pilot, but was replaced by Chad Lowe in April, 2010.
- Sasha Pieterse was only 12 when the pilot for Pretty Little Liars was filmed.
- The events of the pilot episode cover the entire first book in the Pretty Little Liars series.