3x09 Mr. Monk Takes His Medicine
First Aired: Aug. 20, 2004 on USA
Summary: Feeling depressed and helpless after Captain Stottlemeyer is shot by an unknown assailant, Monk decides to try a new medication that eliminates his phobias. But it also makes him unbearably egotistical.
Main Characters in this Episode
Adrian Monk: You understand that if I toss these out, you'll never see the Monk again. [Sharona throws the pill bottle into a dumpster]
Adrian Monk: Is there a suspect in the house?
- Goof (continuity error): Monk gets ketchup on his shirt while eating his food. In the next shot his shirt is clean.
- Goof (factual errors): When Monk rubs chalk powder on the place mat to see Marlene Highsmith's original suicide note there is no other writing. Yet, in the summation, there is a shot of Lester writing his fake suicide note on the same place mat. So when Monk rubbed the chalk powder, Lester's version of the note would have appeared over Marlene's version of the note.
- Goof (factual errors): The water pistol Monk uses to bluff Lester Highsmith is jet black, possibly with a brown handle. Because of child-safety laws, all toy guns have to be brightly colored or have a bright orange cap on the tip of the barrel so children will be safe when holding one. However, this particular pistol is missing both of these features.
- Goof (factual errors): Psychiatric medications don't start working overnight. They need to be built up over a few weeks before they have any noticeable effects. Also, a (good) psychiatrist would have started Monk at a low dosage, which would gradually be increased over several months until the right balance was found, eliminating his fears and phobias but NOT compromising his detective skills.
- Goof (continuity error): When Monk is threatening Lester Highsmith with his water pistol, the passenger-side door of Monk's Mustang is open. After the police arrive to arrest Lester and his partner, the door is seen closed, then open again in subsequent shots.
- This episode was Bitty Schram's last appearance as a regular cast member. Upon completion, Schram left the show and her character was written out of the series.