1x19 Deus Ex Machina
First Aired: Mar. 30, 2005 on ABC
Summary: Locke thinks he's being sent a sign on how to get the hatch open, and he and Boone venture inland. Locke begins to have difficulties with walking as he and Boone try to find a way into the hatch. Jack is reluctant to offer assistance when Sawyer begins to experience excruciating headaches…
Main Characters in this EpisodeMore
Boone: [in Locke's hallucination] Theresa falls up the stairs. Theresa falls down the stairs. Theresa falls up the stairs. Theresa falls down the stairs. Theresa falls up the stairs. Theresa falls down the stairs. Theresa falls up the stairs.
Boone: [to Locke] Have you been using that wacky paste stuff that made me see my sister get eaten?
[cries out to the hatch] I've done everything you wanted me to! So, why did you do this! Why!
- Goof (continuity error): Right before Locke finds the body of the priest, during the scene where Locke and Boone are looking for the plane, Locke takes out his compass. But he had previously given his compass to Sayid, saying that he didn't need it anymore.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Locke's mother describes him as being "immaculately conceived" because he has no father. However, the doctrine of immaculate conception refers not to Jesus asexual conception, but to the conception of the Virgin Mary without the stain of original sin.
- Goof (continuity error): When Lock first meets his biological father, Cooper puts ice into both of their scotch glasses, but when he hands Lock his glass and they drink, neither glass has ice in it.
- Goof (continuity error): When Locke bends down to see if the trebuchet worked, there is no shrapnel sticking out of his leg or visible blood. Only when Boone points it out a moment later can you see a very large piece of metal sticking out of his leg.
- Goof (continuity error): When Locke is shown in his flashback setting up the board game Mouse Trap at Walmart, a boy comes up to see the game. Locke goes over to talk to a women and tells the boy to turn the crank on the game. We see the first half of the trap go off, the scene cuts to the conversation Locke is having and we hear the noises of the Mouse Trap game going off until the last part when the cage drops, but then the sounds of the trap are looped or new sounds are played to make the trap seem longer than it actually is. Then before the flashback ends it cuts back to the board game showing the last half of the trap going off that would have really have been finished after a few seconds of Locke's conversation with the old lady.
- Swoosie Kurtz and Kevin Tighe, who play Locke's parents, are only 8 years older than 'Terry OQuinn.
- In the toy store flashback at the beginning of the episode, regulation footballs are on aisle 8, Nerf footballs are on aisle 15, referencing Oceanic flight 815.